Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2016 9:13:05 PM EDT
Ordering a couple of lowers.  My local hardware store is listed as an FFL dealer and according to the guy I talked to I would need to fill out a transfer form at their store and get them the name, phone, and email of the FFL shipping the lowers.  I was going to stop tomorrow after work till I just now realized I won't be able to.  I'd like to get these lowers locked in now before they sell out or the sale price ends.  Is it kosher to put the order in now and stop in at the hardware store prior to the item arriving to take care of the paperwork or do you need to get all of the info and forms filled out prior to ordering?  PSA has them listed on their site as an FFL so that's not an issue unless they have never received the license info yet, in which case shipping will be delayed, correct?

No, I've never done this before. See avatar.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Just order them and have them shipped to the FFL. Go in and do the paperwork sometime before they arrive.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure if PSA has them listed, they have your FFL's info.  I'd order,  and then let your FFL know to expect a package addressed to them with your name on it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Order the lowers,
have them shipped to your local FFL
Go in when they arrive, fill out the 4473,
Take home your purchase.

The receiving FFL must have them in his possession, and you must be present to fill out the paperwork.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!  Ordered.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Order the lowers,
Take home your purchase.

The receiving FFL must have them in his possession, and you must be present to fill out the paperwork.
View Quote

This, you can't do the paperwork ahead of time.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Fitting avatar is fitting
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who doesn't love a crack addicted towel that talks?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Order the lowers,
Take home your purchase.

Not sure what the guy I talked to on the phone was on about then, unless he's referring to the form they collect the shippers information on so they can send the shipper their license.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:42:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I picked this username and avatar because I knew there would come a day when the stars aligned and it fit perfectly with what I posted.  I just never imagined it would happen so often.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I picked this username and avatar because I knew there would come a day when the stars aligned and it fit perfectly with what I posted.  I just never imagined it would happen so often.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question OP.  Is this really the first time you have ordered a firearm online?  Hopefully the transfer fee is pretty reasonable.  They range here locally from $10 for however many you have at the time to $75 per transfer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:46:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Order the lowers,

Take home your purchase.

this

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Serious question OP.  Is this really the first time you have ordered a firearm online?  Hopefully the transfer fee is pretty reasonable.  They range here locally from $10 for however many you have at the time to $75 per transfer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No but I've never had to worry about dealing with an FFL other than my grandfather.  He passed away last year though so that's no longer an option.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not sure what the guy I talked to on the phone was on about then, unless he's referring to the form they collect the shippers information on so they can send the shipper their license.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Order the lowers,
Take home your purchase.

More than likely this.  Had a pawn shop I used that used their own version of a transfer form, not a 4473.  Just for them to know that something is coming their way and to send the seller an FFL if needed.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#14]
my local places charge $25-$30 a transfer, puts a damper on ordering stripped lowers
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
my local places charge $25-$30 a transfer, puts a damper on ordering stripped lowers
View Quote

I usually order a bunch of stuff and then just pay the $10 transfer for all of it.  My guy charges $25 for NFA transfers.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I found a pawn shop that does transfers for the free.  I'm sure there's an FFL in your town that's just as cheap.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Did you confirm the transfer fee?

Some places charge $25 for the first firearm, and $20 for each additional one. While some others only charge $20 for all you can fit on a 4473 form.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:21:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No but I've never had to worry about dealing with an FFL other than my grandfather.  He passed away last year though so that's no longer an option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wished I would have asked a few more things from my grandmother, and copied her recipe cards also.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#19]
The FFL needs to tell you he is willing to do a transfer. He also needs to know what to expect and who it is coming from.

Ship a firearm to an FFL without notice and it's going to go back to whence it came.

Some employees are idiots and may not know how to do a transfer.

Some shops don't want to do transfers and will say no.

Some will want to rip you off and charge many shekels for the transfer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The FFL needs to tell you he is willing to do a transfer. He also needs to know what to expect and who it is coming from.

Ship a firearm to an FFL without notice and it's going to go back to whence it came.

View Quote

...and some will get your gun mixed up in their inventory and sell it to another customer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Just don't blindside the receiving ffl. That's poor form.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:58:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

All depends on the FFL... we have one locally that doesn't charge a transfer fee and is ALWAYS busy.  You go in to tell them you're ordering something to be shipped there and they're just like "OK, just make sure the sender puts your name and phone number down so we know who to call!", they don't bother making any notes about it.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

All depends on the FFL... we have one locally that doesn't charge a transfer fee and is ALWAYS busy.  You go in to tell them you're ordering something to be shipped there and they're just like "OK, just make sure the sender puts your name and phone number down so we know who to call!", they don't bother making any notes about it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. I should have said "ship it to a random FFL and odds are it's going back".
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#24]
You think this is confusing? Wait till you fill out your first Form 1!
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:17:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

You must have a really crappy FFL.  It's rare that we get a notice something is coming in.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#26]
You can usually buy the lowers and tell them to wait until you confirm with your FFL. That's what I would have done if I was worried about them selling out. I assume you at least confirmed all the transfer fees right?? This could be a spendy lesson.

Quoted:

You must have a really crappy FFL.  It's rare that we get a notice something is coming in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need better customers. While that may be fine with you I have worked for and know several that didn't operate that way.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:59:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You need better customers. While that may be fine with you I have worked for and know several that didn't operate that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Some online sellers have "preferred dealer" programs. To qualify the receiving FFL has to agree to accept whatever is sent his way without notice.

Honestly, these are the easiest transfers to deal with. They come the closest to the proverbial "$20 for making a phone call." It's a bit more involved than that (and only fools still call them in) but they're pretty damn easy.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:51:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Some online sellers have "preferred dealer" programs. To qualify the receiving FFL has to agree to accept whatever is sent his way without notice.

Honestly, these are the easiest transfers to deal with. They come the closest to the proverbial "$20 for making a phone call." It's a bit more involved than that (and only fools still call them in) but they're pretty damn easy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood but neither the OP or this poster are talking about that situation from what I can tell. Apples and oranges
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:02:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Order the lowers,
Take home your purchase.

The [receiving FFL must have them in his possession, and you must be present to fill out the paperwork.
View Quote

Is this true?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:13:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Is this true?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Order the lowers,
Take home your purchase.

The [receiving FFL must have them in his possession, and you must be present to fill out the paperwork.

Is this true?

4473 has to be filled out at the time of transfer (or attempted transfer in the case of a delay). Can't transfer a gun you don't have. Also, you need the gun to fill out the section that shows the gun's details.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:15:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Understood but neither the OP or this poster are talking about that situation from what I can tell. Apples and oranges
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really apples and oranges. FFL's receive unanticipated guns for transfer all the time. You roll with it. No reason to make a big deal about it. Any FFL who ships back a gun he didn't know was coming in is not somebody I would want to deal with.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Your FFL should be able to email a scanned copy of their license to the seller of your purchased firearm(s), include your name and order # just to be thorough.  While some mentioned unexpected transfers, I always call/email my FFLs ahead just to establish a respectful relationship.

Then the seller will label all your shit and ship it to that FFL.

That FFL will call you to come in and then run a background check, you can then go home and make sweet love to your new investment.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#33]
This guy is $20 for a rifle +5 for each additional one.

$45 for a pistol though plus 10 for a background check.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gotta find a local guy that carries stripped lowers. My guy sells Andersons for $54 OTD. $20 transfer on anything I have shipped in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top