Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/29/2016 12:22:03 PM EDT
title says it. Which ones are "good people", and which ones are shitstains to their fans

Basically you walk into a bar and driver (insert name here) is having a cold one.... Which one would be chill, and which one would blow you off.

You can do past or present drivers.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Only one I ever met was Robby Gordon. Met him in McCarron airport and actually sat down and had a conversation. Crappy driver, I know, but he was a really down to earth guy.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Back in the day when I was a line guy (worked an an airport) I met quite a few NASCAR drivers.

I'd say that of all the celebrity/big wig/high roller types that filtered through, the NASCAR guys were definitely the most chill of all of them.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, a lot of them are great guys, I have had the pleasure of meeting quite a few of them over the years, many of them used to hang out at the SHOT show every year and they were great to get to know.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#4]
in 1994, I was 18 and was introduced to Rusty Wallace in Indianapolis a few days before the inaugural Brickyard 400.  He seemed friendly and hospitable towards me and the party I was with.  Always cheered for him after that.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I've met Chase and Bill Elliot multiple times. Very nice guys
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had good encounters with:

Dick Trickle (came to our local track all the time growing up)
Ernie Irvan
Dale Jr.
Kyle Bush
Martin Treux
Michael Waltrip
Jaime McMurray

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

in 1994, I was 18 and was introduced to Rusty Wallace in Indianapolis a few days before the inaugural Brickyard 400.  He seemed friendly and hospitable towards me and the party I was with.  Always cheered for him after that.
View Quote

Yep. Met Rusty Wallace at my First NASCAR race, very nice guy. Gave me one of his used tires

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably Kurt Busch

I used to race stock cars and one time I was in a support race for Winston West (or whatever it is called now). Kerry Earnhardt was in the West race that red-flagged and cancelled due to rain. I was 16 years old and was trying to talk to Kerry so I said (with a grin on my face) "Kerry if you have to get back to the Busch race tomorrow when the race resumes, do you need me to drive your West car". He gave me a dirty look and a sharp "no".

F that guy.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd like to meet Clint Boywer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#10]
A lot.

And I can tell you from personal experience that The Hatman is a total scumbag.

I was >---< this close to Rusty Wallace and about to shake his hand when the hatman elbowed me out of the way to get that precious little baseball cap on Rusty.

I should have kicked that fucker in the back of the knee.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Only one I ever met was Robby Gordon. Met him in McCarron airport and actually sat down and had a conversation. Crappy driver, I know, but he was a really down to earth guy.
View Quote

Robby Gordon is a crappy driver?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yep. Met Rusty Wallace at my First NASCAR race, very nice guy. Gave me one of his used tires

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh it costs money to dispose old tires you know
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Cole Trickle
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know how he is now, but I spoke with Carl Edwards a couple of times when he was just a local dude on the verge of making it. Nice guy.

I was once almost run over by Jeff Gordon leaving the pits (in a Cadillac) at Kansas Speedway. He said he was really sorry........
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:53:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was like 8, I thought it was pretty cool

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crappy compared to the better known drivers. Also, I'm only meaning his NASCAR career (I know he's a great off-road driver). 3 wins over a 19 year NASCAR career is less than stellar. That's all I meant.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Kyle Busch was friendly
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Pretty much all of them except for the Penske Bitches and Danica.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Kahne was quite friendly and saw him walking around in the parking lots of the Knoxville Nationals a few yards from us near the cars he owned while we were smoking food waiting for the night races.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Dale Earnhardt was one of the most down to earth people you could hope to meet.  When he wasn't driving, he was just a regular dude.

Kyle Petty is almost too nice.

Benny Parsons was my favorite.  He was hilarious, and could put away some food.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Dale Jr was in Norfolk a few years ago to promote Arena racing
Nice guy. Gave out a lot of swag
After we went out to eat and he showed up at the same restaurant. Waved us over and asked us to join him and his big table. Then he picked up the tab.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#22]
of course he was getting paid to be nice
but Richard Petty seemed to be a nice enough guy

the hat is even cooler in person btw
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Dale Jr was in Norfolk a few years ago to promote Arena racing
Nice guy. Gave out a lot of swag
After we went out to eat and he showed up at the same restaurant. Waved us over and asked us to join him and his big table. Then he picked up the tab.
View Quote

Another reason he's my favorite driver in that series
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Dude crashed all the friggin time.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's probably thanking the good Lord for Danica removing that title
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Going to show my age a bit, but Mark Martin, Ernie Irvan, Boris Said, Ted Musgrave, Mike McLoughlin, and Steve Grissom were all very cool to me when I met them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Dale Jr bought some land for deer hunting near my neck of the woods.  He was seen out and about in the Coshocton area and always took the time for an autograph or Facebook post
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Dale Earnhardt was one of the most down to earth people you could hope to meet.  When he wasn't driving, he was just a regular dude.

View Quote
Sr. right?  Jr is an asshole   Dealt with him many times working at the airport.  Ignored his fans every time.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sr. right?  Jr is an asshole   Dealt with him many times working at the airport.  Ignored his fans every time.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, Dale Sr.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Around 1997 I was in the St. Louis SCCA.  We provided support at the Gateway International Raceway for professional races.  The NASCAR Sprint Cup was in town (first NASCAR race there).  Kyle Petty crashed. I was working the pits and saw him being interviewed by the “press”.  He said:  this track ain’t worth the dynamite to blow it to hell.  I’ll never be back to this POS.  This is the most worthless POS I have ever been to.

When the press ran to interview someone else, Kyle walked by me to his trailer.  He stopped and said: “Y’all are doing a great job.  I really appreciate the way you take care of us. The track needs some work but has a lot of promise”.  Then he shook my hand and said: “See you next year.”  

Overall the NHRA drivers were like  friendly red-neck next door neighbors.  The CART drivers were all friendly and fun to hang out with.  The NASCAR drivers were all over the place from friendly to stick up the ass snobs.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Robby Gordon And Hal Martin
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I know a couple of people who spent some time with Richard Petty.

Both said he was a really nice guy.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#34]
The Burton brothers were pretty cool guys when I met them long, long ago while they were still racing in the Busch series.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Hard to beat Richard Petty for fan interaction.

He knew every time he signed an autograph or posed for a picture he was giving someone a lifetime memory.  And he treated you like he knew it was and wanted you to have a good memory.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Not what i expected
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Met Bobby Allison a few years ago.  It was at a car show.  He had a booth and was signing autographs.  Had my two sons with me.  When we got to him he signed the slick.  Then I asked if he would sign my 1990 drivers license as an organ diner witness.  Reason being, Davey Allison ( his son who later died) had signed it.  He did.  Then my 10 yo who was a big NASCAR fan, asked him what his favorite track was.  He talked to him for 5 or 10 minutes.  All the while adults were just waiting in line.  Then we had our pictures taken with him.  I was very impressed that he took the time to stop and talk to a 10yo for that length of time.  Great guy.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Have had a couple chances to meet Richard Petty, nice guy, good sense of humor!

About 15 years ago, I was on a flight from Columbus, Ohio to Charlotte and Greg Biffle and Mike Wallace were also on it, it was very embarrassing the way they treated and spoke to the flight attendants.  Obviously both were legends in their own minds.  That flight came to mind after the incident that Mike Wallace had after the concert in Charlotte recently.
Irregardless of whether Wallace was running his mouth or not, doesn't ok two or three against one, or beating on his daughter.
And that is all I have to say about that. (thanks  Forrest)
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#39]
A.J.  FOYT        
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I don't know how he is now, but I spoke with Carl Edwards a couple of times when he was just a local dude on the verge of making it. Nice guy.

I was once almost run over by Jeff Gordon leaving the pits (in a Cadillac) at Kansas Speedway. He said he was really sorry........
View Quote

I almost got ran over by Michael Annet in the garages. I ziged when he ziged.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:02:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Jeff Gordon is a really nice guy.  I met him at TMS around 2000-2001.

Jack Roush is kind of a dick.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Probably Kurt Busch

I used to race stock cars and one time I was in a support race for Winston West (or whatever it is called now). Kerry Earnhardt was in the West race that red-flagged and cancelled due to rain. I was 16 years old and was trying to talk to Kerry so I said (with a grin on my face) "Kerry if you have to get back to the Busch race tomorrow when the race resumes, do you need me to drive your West car". He gave me a dirty look and a sharp "no".

F that guy.
View Quote

I wonder what his  assassin ex-girlfriend is up to these day?

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#43]
I heard Micheal Waltrip is a good guy
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm willing to bet most NASCAR drivers are cool and you would drink a beer with. In automotive sports, NASCAR is prob the most blue collar and most drivers know it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#45]
I used to go to sex partner swapping with Tim Richmond.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Danica Patrick.

She always finishes the race early so she can spend more time with her fans.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Greg Biffle. He gave me the hat off his head after drivers meeting at the Milwaukee Mile. I just asked him "could I have your hat". He didn't hesitate he took it off I pulled out a silver sharpie and he happily signed it.  He was in the Busch series. He won the race as well that day.

Have many other die cast signed by him and always a good guy.

Robby Gordon, Kenny Wallace also very fan friendly guys.

I asked Kenny to sign as Rusty he laughed out loud then signed my race scanner Rusty Wallace.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#48]
"I used to go to sex partner swapping with Tim Richmond."

Hmm, that's kinda scary!
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:23:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Kasey Khane is a great guy. Ive met him and many of his family in person. When ever he is in town, you can find him at Ranchitos #2 for dinner, and usually shooting pool at Seeders. He's usually here once a year when his sprint car team is racing up north at Skagit.
We actually helped his sister set up his non-profit, and in return he donated to ours to help grant a wish for a child battling Congenital Heart Defects. He paid for a trip to Lego Land and Sea World for the family.

Tony Stewart is a better person than he lets on to be in interviews and such. Hes been in town with Kasey on a couple of occasions. Ive had drinks in the bar with them both.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably Kurt Busch

F that guy.

Let's just get this party started.  I'd fuck her right in the purse
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top