Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/27/2016 10:07:16 PM EDT
link

Artificial intelligence (AI) developed by a University of Cincinnati doctoral graduate was recently assessed by subject-matter expert and retired United States Air Force Colonel Gene Lee — who holds extensive aerial combat experience as an instructor and Air Battle Manager with considerable fighter aircraft expertise — in a high-fidelity air combat simulator. The artificial intelligence, dubbed ALPHA, was the victor in that simulated scenario, and according to Lee, is “the most aggressive, responsive, dynamic and credible AI I’ve seen to date.”

It was only after early iterations of ALPHA bested other computer program opponents that Lee then took to manual controls against a more mature version of ALPHA last October. Not only was Lee not able to score a kill against ALPHA after repeated attempts, he was shot out of the air every time during protracted engagements in the simulator.

Since that first human vs. ALPHA encounter in the simulator, this AI has repeatedly bested other experts as well, and is even able to win out against these human experts when its [the ALPHA-controlled] aircraft are deliberately handicapped in terms of speed, turning, missile capability and sensors.
Lee, who has been flying in simulators against AI opponents since the early 1980s, said of that first encounter against ALPHA, “I was surprised at how aware and reactive it was. It seemed to be aware of my intentions and reacting instantly to my changes in flight and my missile deployment. It knew how to defeat the shot I was taking. It moved instantly between defensive and offensive actions as needed.”

He added that with most AIs, “an experienced pilot can beat up on it (the AI) if you know what you’re doing. Sure, you might have gotten shot down once in a while by an AI program when you, as a pilot, were trying something new, but, until now, an AI opponent simply could not keep up with anything like the real pressure and pace of combat-like scenarios.”
The AI is so fast that it could consider and coordinate the best tactical plan and precise responses, within a dynamic environment, over 250 times faster than ALPHA’s human opponents could blink. UC’s Cohen added, “ALPHA would be an extremely easy AI to cooperate with and have as a teammate. ALPHA could continuously determine the optimal ways to perform tasks commanded by its manned wingman, as well as provide tactical and situational advice to the rest of its flight.”

However, ALPHA and its algorithms require no more than the computing power available in a low-budget PC in order to run in real time and quickly react and respond to uncertainty and random events or scenarios.
The ALPHA programming is generational. It can be improved from one generation to the next, from one version to the next. In fact, the current version of ALPHA is only that – the current version. Subsequent versions are expected to perform significantly better.

Again, from UC’s Cohen, “In a lot of ways, it’s no different than when air combat began in W.W. I. At first, there were a whole bunch of pilots. Those who survived to the end of the war were the aces. Only in this case, we’re talking about code.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Kill all humans.... kill all humans...
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#2]
It's really not that hard to believe that computers are smarter than humans . Not much of an accomplishment .
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#3]
When people keep assuring me that Terminator will never become a reality:
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Again, from UC’s Cohen, “In a lot of ways, it’s no different than when air combat began in W.W. I. At first, there were a whole bunch of pilots. Those who survived to the end of the war were the aces. Only in this case, we’re talking about code.”
View Quote

this is exactly how my sister's ex works on neural nets.  he sets up a selection environment, turns the brain iterations loose, and the one that survives gets opened up and evaluated.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Hopefully, Alpha doesn't become self-aware anytime soon...
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When people keep assuring me that Terminator will never become a reality:
View Quote

Terminators would be a good thing.  Turning over complete control to a homicidal AI, well that's a bit of a grey area.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:15:29 PM EDT
[#7]
When it flys an actual aircraft, call me,

Sounds like Lee couldnt beat a game console. A computer beat a chess master. But didnt manipulate an actusl chess board.

Were atmospheric and weather conditions a variable?

How about 10 hajis with MANPADS?

Some day. But not this day.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#8]
It hasn't flown against my table mate in pilot training. "Hoover".  As I understand it he is a legend in the F-15 community.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Just the beginnings of SkyNet!! Kill the program now!
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:19:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Not exactly hard to do when you program your own moves into the computer. The computer recognizes what you're doing and knows how to attack.

Sky Net coming alive
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It's really not that hard to believe that computers are smarter than humans . Not much of an accomplishment .
View Quote
They're not.

Given thousands of hours of programming to excel at beating a human at a certain task, sometimes they get it right.

We're a long time from commander Data and Cyberdyne model 101s.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:22:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Soon.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Skynet
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They're not.    

Given thousands of hours of programming to excel at beating a human at a certain task, sometimes they get it right.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They're not.    

But you agree we are moving towards that end game? I guess my point is at what point do we say "they're smart enough, we(humans) will take it from here."
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
But you agree we are moving towards that end game? I guess my point is at what point do we say "they're smart enough, we(humans) will take it from here."
View Quote

Never going to happen.  Not sure where this train ends, but it's going in one direction and there are no brakes.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#16]
So, does this mean that soon video game bad guys will stop taking cover behind red drums?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:29:11 PM EDT
[#17]
sounds great lets put it in new gen 7 drones and start fuking shit up.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It hasn't flown against my table mate in pilot training. "Hoover".  As I understand it he is a legend in the F-15 community.
View Quote
[cheesy 90s computer voice] Hoover sucks HA HA HA  [/cheesy 90s computer voice]

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Never going to happen.  Not sure where this train ends, but it's going in one direction and there are no brakes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree , and that is disturbing .
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Similar but not quite the same.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I for one welcome our Top Gun overlords.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

this is exactly how my sister's ex works on neural nets.  he sets up a selection environment, turns the brain iterations loose, and the one that survives gets opened up and evaluated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Odyssey Five covered that. Hint, it ends badly.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could tell you what the brakes are, hint it ends badly for anyone in the AI field.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I could tell you what the brakes are, hint it ends badly for anyone in the AI field.
View Quote

That only delays it.  From the moment we started using tools as a species there was no stopping it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sounds like Lee couldnt beat a game console. A computer beat a chess master. But didnt manipulate an actusl chess board.

Were atmospheric and weather conditions a variable?

How about 10 hajis with MANPADS?

Some day. But not this day.
View Quote

They're not there yet, at least as far as I know as a civilian that's not in that industry, but I suspect it won't be that many years when a manned aircraft is either dead from a laser or outflown by semi autonomous drones.     I wouldn't be surprised if you had a small number of manned planes flying w/ lots of drones w/ the option to hand them off to remote controllers farther away if necessary.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

as i understand it, the control laws of an airplane are a trivially simple task.  as in, a cell from an earthworm can be 'programmed' to keep an airplane in controlled flight.  the challenge is structured tactics.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Iridium Next

100% global coverage broadband.  The first satellites are to be launched next month by SpaceX.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:46:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Iridium Next

100% global coverage broadband.  The first satellites are to be launched next month by SpaceX.

View Quote

Think they'll beat project loon by Google?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That only delays it.  From the moment we started using tools as a species there was no stopping it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When people in power come to realize what the threat is, AI experts and computer scientists in the field will start dropping like flies and the companies that fund the research with get worse that the Tea Party people got from the IRS.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:50:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Iridium Next

The more the merrier.  But the low earth satellites are probably more resilient and will cover 100% of the Earth's surface.  I doubt Google will be flying enough balloons to do that.  

Skynet is literally skynet...a global broadband network.   All that's left to fill the blank will be A.I.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

otters, sparrows, chimps, and bonobos all use tools.

should i worry?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Robots are not affected by high Gs and can react thousand times faster than human.  We dead
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

should i worry?
View Quote

Depends, do you plan on living several million years?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#35]
If our future generations are going to be enslaved by machines wouldn't the moral thing to do be stopping all this tech research?

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

should i worry?

who says i haven't?

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Skynet
View Quote

It is already self aware
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:00:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
When people in power come to realize what the threat is, AI experts and computer scientists in the field will start dropping like flies and the companies that fund the research with get worse that the Tea Party people got from the IRS.
View Quote

"We have the Maxim gun, and they have not." People with AI don't need to care about the opinions of those without it.

This arms race won't be stopped. It's not a field with easily detected and coordinated-against infrastructure like nukes. And the prizes, too, are far bigger than big explosions.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

"We have the Maxim gun, and they have not." People with AI don't need to care about the opinions of those without it.

This arms race won't be stopped. It's not a field with easily detected and coordinated-against infrastructure like nukes. And the prizes, too, are far bigger than big explosions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually it is easily detected. Check out the news and every fag with a laptop trying to make an AI is blogging about it or letting some reporter video the tests. Someone eliminates or co-opts the ones in college and tracks the ones who graduated and you will have YOUR LIST.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:04:04 PM EDT
[#40]
From reading the article earlier, I'm pretty sure they tried to beat around the fact that he is not a fighter pilot, not to say the AI isn't impressive, I'm not sure this particular story is a great example.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Actually it is easily detected. Check out the news and every fag with a laptop trying to make an AI is blogging about it or letting some reporter video the tests. Someone eliminates or co-opts the ones in college and tracks the ones who graduated and you will have YOUR LIST.
View Quote

AI/super computer processing ability is just like the arms race of previous generations.  If you decide to try and slow it down that's all well and good, but your opponents will most likely not join your quest.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

And? How are you and your ragtag band of serial killers going to coordinate against the rich, the smart, the powerful in a world of governments, DNA forensics and networked cameras?

If only there was some kind of superhuman coordination technology that could do that for you...
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crazy, but that's how it goes
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

AI/super computer processing ability is just like the arms race of previous generations.  If you decide to try and slow it down that's all well and good, but your opponents will most likely not join your quest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's unstoppable.

Short of a total collapse of human civilization.   I'll be interested to see if it is actually conscious or just incredibly intelligent.   One fallacy that a lot of people forget is you don't actually have to achieve a "ghost in the machine" to achieve A.I.   There's absolutely no reason to believe that it has to have anything like our "egos", or sense of "I".  

I suppose the good news is it won't have an endocrine system.  It'll have no sex drive, no need for status, or material gratification that evolution has programed us for.  It will be nothing like us.  

....and that is good.  

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:13:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

as i understand it, the control laws of an airplane are a trivially simple task.  as in, a cell from an earthworm can be 'programmed' to keep an airplane in controlled flight.  the challenge is structured tactics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of the best pilots in the world have tried to keep fly by wire fighters in the air without a computer controlled solution ... and I have yet to see one succeed.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:15:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Well we're fucked.

Can the one that comes to kill me at least be kinda hot so I don't feel so bad?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Robots are not affected by high Gs and can react thousand times faster than human.  We dead
View Quote

If the vehicle is heavy enough to carry meaningful armament, the pilot's not a pronounced G limitation.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Some of the best pilots in the world have tried to keep fly by wire fighters in the air without a computer controlled solution ... and I have yet to see one succeed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

isn't that the basis of relaxed static stability as a control paradigm?  sort of an inherent chaos that allows greater responsiveness than an aerodynamically stable design...but requires a computer?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:18:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it all happens at an ever accelerating rate.
It will eventually evolve so fast that humans will not be able to control it or protect against it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's really not that hard to believe that computers are smarter can process data faster than humans . Not much of an accomplishment .
View Quote

FIFY.  Humans are still developing the code, and hence still are smarter.  I'm not aware of any AI that can yet create itself.  Yes, it can learn an be adaptive to the environment, but until we have AI developing their own AI, I'm not too worried.   The big edge right now is that computers and AI can process data much faster than our brains, and thus can make decisions more quickly based on an available data set.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top