BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can only call yourself a Christian if you believe that Jesus Christ was the son of God, died for our sins and rose from the grave to ascend to heaven to our intercessor to God.  Since I KNOW JWs don't believe any of that, don't call yourself a Christian.

I had a JW start lying that they were Christians with me and informed them to do some research with other books about Jesus and not rely solely on the JW bible written by a drunk.

For others here, do a few fact checks on the JW Bible.  You will find the JW bible conveniently modifies the original old and new testament to fit their cult.

JW boys you are not Christians and all your bitching and whining will not make it so.  I will happily baptize you in the name of the Lord to make you one however.

I am specifically calling you out Ogive?  Are you a good JW boy or not?
View Quote

You should read a little before inserting your foot in your mouth.  It might do you some good.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Lol that exactly what they believe. Since you probably won't click the link I'll provide a screen shot for you

http://pic100.picturetrail.com:80/VOL351/7575719/21594827/412629929.jpg

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/believe-in-jesus/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can only call yourself a Christian if you believe that Jesus Christ was the son of God, died for our sins and rose from the grave to ascend to heaven to our intercessor to God.  Since I KNOW JWs don't believe any of that, don't call yourself a Christian.

Lol that exactly what they believe. Since you probably won't click the link I'll provide a screen shot for you

http://pic100.picturetrail.com:80/VOL351/7575719/21594827/412629929.jpg

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/believe-in-jesus/

LOL I am slow I was just going to post that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hi All

Yes my post count is low I just read here most of the time

I am a Jehovah's Witness

I figure myself to be a regular guy

Ask away if you like but please I dont talk bad to you please dont badmouth me.

Kid
View Quote

I thought you were pacifists and didn't believe in guns?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Every JW that I have ever met or interacted with has been cordial and polite.

Unlike many so-called "evangelical Christians".
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Anybody that cares for their child would give them every chance they could. Well, anyone not a member of a kooky cult. Dying for your belief, and allowing your child to die for your beliefs
are separate. Did you miss the part that the ones that joined up to serve were cast out an excommunicated by their own families? Agree with that do you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Except they look down anyone that serves, think only so many thousands are admitted into "paradise" after they lie in wormy earth till judgement day, wont serve themselves and wont stand for the national anthem. Wont accept blood transfusions and will let their child die rather than have one... etc etc

They don't look down on people that serve, but true they don't serve themselves. Matthew 26:52 - live by sword die by sword; they remain politically neutral - John 17:6 - no part of the world; Romans 13:1 - subject to governments authority, Matthew 22:21 - pay back Caesars things to Caesar - so they obey the law and pay taxes as long as the governments laws don't interfere with serving God.

John 17:3 - eternal life for those who come to know God - but it's more than just knowing who God is, even the demons know who God is (James 2-19) but faith without works is dead (James 2:20) so it takes action to be saved. Actions like following gods direction and living according to his laws and teaching others to come to know him. Paradise is for any and all who serve God, but heaven is only for a small number 144000 (revelation 7:4) this is a definite number given to John where 7:9 talks about a great crowd no man was able to number so that's is why it's viewed as a set number.

National anthem - while they submit to the governments and live peacefully, they don't offer their allegiance to any nation or group only God.

As for blood transfusions - https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/jehovahs-witnesses-why-no-blood-transfusions/Read it from their own website with plenty of references to medical studies and journals; and it shows benefits to performing surgeries without blood transfusions

Benefits like being told "your child will die if we don't give him blood" and saying NO to it? those kind of benefits?  My area, they do look down on those that serve, and are very vocal about it. That notwithstanding, the fact a guy duped them into the cult to build a palace for the coming, and then moved into it himself when it didn't happen, says plenty. What says more is two of my closest friends and one serving member were cast out and ostracized by the church and whole family by joining up and serving.  TO hell with that mindset. You don't want to pleg allegiance, and cast out those that do including family members? You shouldn't be here. Pick another damn place to live.

So your not willing to die for your beliefs? If you joined the military I would think you would right? And a doctor telling you you will die without one, what guarantee does the your doctor give you that you will live if you get one? Maybe your should read the constitution again

Anybody that cares for their child would give them every chance they could. Well, anyone not a member of a kooky cult. Dying for your belief, and allowing your child to die for your beliefs
are separate. Did you miss the part that the ones that joined up to serve were cast out an excommunicated by their own families? Agree with that do you?

Who should have the last word about the welfare of their child? The parent? The State? You?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi All

I am a Jehovah's Witness

Kid

They believe in tools,  and hobbies just like any other human.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Look, religious journeys are initiated by the individual not started by door to door recruitment.  I'd be just as pissed if it was a hebrew or hindu knocking on my front door.  Either way it is rude and egotistical to show up at my door to do me the great favor delivering their beliefs. They are deceivers saying they "follow" Jesus.    

You want to be a hebrew, fine be a hebrew but, don't call yourself a Christian like I have seen Jehovah Witnesses do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've found that JWs are busybodies that don't respect property rights.

The scorn is well earned.

I have a hard time being a dick to people who only have my best interests at heart.... YMMV.
Look, religious journeys are initiated by the individual not started by door to door recruitment.  I'd be just as pissed if it was a hebrew or hindu knocking on my front door.  Either way it is rude and egotistical to show up at my door to do me the great favor delivering their beliefs. They are deceivers saying they "follow" Jesus.    

You want to be a hebrew, fine be a hebrew but, don't call yourself a Christian like I have seen Jehovah Witnesses do.

Is that why I've had dozens of Christians proestylize to me at work, on the street, and pretty much every other area of my life?

I've never had a JW boss force me to listen to a 10 minute sermon in his office before he would engage me in conversation and find out what I needed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is that why I've had dozens of Christians proestylize to me at work, on the street, and pretty much every other area of my life?

I've never had a JW boss force me to listen to a 10 minute sermon in his office before he would engage me in conversation and find out what I needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a hard time being a dick to people who only have my best interests at heart.... YMMV.

I had a Christian boss get outright pissed at me and berate me because I didn't show up at his church function when he wanted me to.  He frankly was pushy to the point of being annoying until I told him no.  I have never had a JW do that.  

I am far from a JW,  But I will never have a problem defending them.  I have never been wronged by one.  In fact everyone I have known has been the most even keeled humans I have ever met.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Every JW that I have ever met or interacted with has been cordial and polite.

Unlike many so-called "evangelical Christians".
View Quote

No shit,... You'll never see a JW hall version of "God Hates Fags"

I must have woken up in a different country yesterday- I thought we had room for more than one opinion in this country, and that it was ok to agree to disagree and live and let live. It's when people stop recognizing our basic social contract and start acting only on religious belief that zealots start strapping on explosives vests and killing in the name of their religion. How important is a world only the way you want it to you? (Rhetorical question for everyone)
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

John 1:1 is a perfect example.  The Greek work "theos" appears in the verse three times.  The first two instances it is correctly translated as "God".  The third time they alter the translation of the same word to "a god."  That is a clearly ideologically driven translation.  A translation that no other translator has supported.

When you have millions of translators over the course of 20 centuries translates something one way, and you're the only one who translates it another, its obvious to everyone that you're wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a JW start lying that they were Christians with me and informed them to do some research with other books about Jesus and not rely solely on the JW bible written by a drunk.

For others here, do a few fact checks on the JW Bible.  You will find the JW bible conveniently modifies the original old and new testament to fit their cult.

JW boys you are not Christians and all your bitching and whining will not make it so.  I will happily baptize you in the name of the Lord to make you one however.

You are soooooooo wrong it's funny.

You make the claim of their Bible being "modified" Please post examples, and how it "fits" their cult.

Also for your enlightenment:   https://www.jw.org/en/publications/videos/jesus-lord-christ/movie-part-1/

John 1:1 is a perfect example.  The Greek work "theos" appears in the verse three times.  The first two instances it is correctly translated as "God".  The third time they alter the translation of the same word to "a god."  That is a clearly ideologically driven translation.  A translation that no other translator has supported.

When you have millions of translators over the course of 20 centuries translates something one way, and you're the only one who translates it another, its obvious to everyone that you're wrong.

KJV: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God [Greek, ton the·on'], and the Word was God [the·os'].” This verse contains two forms of the Greek noun the·os' (god). The first is preceded by ton (the), a form of the Greek definite article, and in this case the word the·on' refers to Almighty God. In the second instance, however, the·os' has no definite article. Learn some Koine and get back to us.

Also, the Church didn't decide to worship a trinity unti the 4th century, Council of Nicea.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi All

I am a Jehovah's Witness

Kid

He's a gun guy.  Belongs to the range I used to belong to.  I used to shoot Military rifles with him in the collector's shoot.

Didn't know he was a JW - had no idea.

Hello Kid.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#12]

I am not here to debate JW.  I am here to show everyone else what JW has done.

KJV

(1Jn 5:7)  For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

(1Jn 5:8)  And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

(1Jn 5:9)  If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.

NWT

(1Jn 5:7)  For there are three witness bearers,

(1Jn 5:8)  the spirit and the water and the blood,  and the three are in agreement.

(1Jn 5:9)  If we receive the witness men give,  the witness God gives is greater,  because this is the witness God gives,  the fact that he has borne witness concerning his Son.

Changed it just a wee bit.  We do not want you to perish JW.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was married to one.

If nothing else, know this,  they are allowed to say things which are not true if that will get you to join.  It is not a 'lie' because it is for your own good.  This is in print in one of their own publications.
View Quote

I'm going to have to call bullshit on this one...
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#14]

I had a JW boss in 1980.  Every time it was just him and I in the office. He would get the pamphlets out.  I was a polite kid but it became very annoying to me.  He was upset that he couldnt convert me.  I ended up losing my job and I believe he had something to do with it.  He was creepy to me as a kid.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#15]
My son and his wife are JW's.  They never talk about it with me unless I ask.  We've had good talks about it and their beliefs and they do like it when I ask them questions.  If I ask for literature he gives it to me, otherwise he won't bring it up.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:13:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

KJV
(1Jn 5:7)  For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
(1Jn 5:8)  And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.
(1Jn 5:9)  If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.

NWT
(1Jn 5:8)  the spirit and the water and the blood,  and the three are in agreement.
(1Jn 5:9)  If we receive the witness men give,  the witness God gives is greater,  because this is the witness God gives,  the fact that he has borne witness concerning his Son.

View Quote

Oh my goodness do some basic research! The "Father, Word, Holy Ghost" in the KJV 1 John 5:7 is not found in ANY Greek manuscript prior to 1215AD.  Even the NIV doesn't follow the KJV rendering. In other words: it was inserted to further an agenda.

I honestly fail to see significant differences in the other verses, other than the NWT is in understandable modern English...
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

KJV: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God [Greek, ton the·on'], and the Word was God [the·os'].” This verse contains two forms of the Greek noun the·os' (god). The first is preceded by ton (the), a form of the Greek definite article, and in this case the word the·on' refers to Almighty God. In the second instance, however, the·os' has no definite article. Learn some Koine and get back to us.

Also, the Church didn't decide to worship a trinity unti the 4th century, Council of Nicea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You make the claim of their Bible being "modified" Please post examples, and how it "fits" their cult.

Also for your enlightenment:   https://www.jw.org/en/publications/videos/jesus-lord-christ/movie-part-1/

Did you really just tell me I should learn Koine Greek and get back with you?  You're adorable...

I'll make you a deal.  You send me a copy of your PhD dissertation on 1st century Greek writings and I'll send you a copy of my PhD dissertation on 1st century Greek writings, deal?

Here's what I've learned from your above drivel.  You've never taken a Greek class in a school of higher learning.  Do you know how I can tell?  If you had you would know that a definite predicate nominative has the article when it follows the verb but it does not have the article when it precedes the verb.  Thus one would not expect "theos" (a definite predicate nominative preceding the verb "I am") to have a definite article.

The worst part is that JW's know this, but aren't honest enough to admit it.  Look at Matthew 15:4.  Once again we see the word "theos", a definite predicate nominative preceeding a verb, thus lacking a definite article.  Do the JW's translate it as "a god?"  Nope, they translate it correctly as "God."  Why do they translate it as "God" here in Matthew 15:4 and "a god" in John 1:1?

Their narrative is pushing their translation, that's why.

You'd know that if you'd studied Greek with Greek scholars and not in some little indoctrination camp.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I picked up my son at a friend's house. After we pulled out down the long driveway and through the sweet gate they had on their personal driveway I said, "I need that,it would be awesome to keep the Mormons out". My wife immediately started laughing and said, "THEY ARE Mormans!". Doh!
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

KJV

NWT

View Quote

And how many times was the tetragramiton (yhwh or jehovah) removed from your King James? Over 6800 times. Is it even in your bible at all, most kjv only have it 7 times, and most modern translations even remove them. Talk about changing a bible.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So they're basically Army recruiters?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was married to one.

If nothing else, know this,  they are allowed to say things which are not true if that will get you to join.  It is not a 'lie' because it is for your own good.  This is in print in one of their own publications.

So they're basically Army recruiters?

lol
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I live just down the road from Hare Krishna mecca, just about every morning I pass a few on the dirt road doing their meditation with their bag of beads. I frequently find JW Watch Tower copies in my front gate and I have a few JW friends.  The Mormons on their bikes are all over town but they haven't made it out to my place, road is a little too rough for bikes. My biggest customer for lamb is Muslim, and I have a few others that are Jewish and Greek Orthadox. Had an employee who was a hard core Scientologist. I was raised Catholic. I treat every one of them with respect, I respect their beliefs and I follow the Golden Rule. I do business with all of them, in fact, we do a lot of business with Hare Krishnas simply because we don't judge them or treat them any differently that we like to be treated; with mutual respect. The way I see it, anyone that believes in a higher power and strives to be a better person is good in my book, even if they are FSM and Pastafarian.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Some came by here a few weeks ago.

They only wanted to give me a pamphlet to an event they were having on Thursday, and wanted to let me know that all are welcome to come and learn more.

They seemed like a nice sincere couple. I felt bad for them actually.

Now the Mormons who came buy were a little more annoying.

They asked me "do you have a minute to talk about God". I said "no".

They asked why.

I told them I'm a non-believer, and my wife already goes to church, we've heard all sides of this discussion already, so we are pretty set in our ways and it would be a waste of our time and yours to discuss this on my front stoop.

They asked "well, do you know of anyone in the area who would be open to a wonderful new message of hope, and love, and peace?"

I said "No".

They said "Oh, really?" In shocked/annoyed manner.

I told them goodbye and shut the door.

Didn't piss me off. I just noticed the difference in approaches between them and the JW.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their John 1. In the beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God and the Word was a god.

Our John 1. In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was married to one.

Jehovah God hates those who lie, so they say, but telling an 'untruth' is good if done for the right reason.

JWs teach that a lie has three parts, all three must be present for something to be a lie.

1.  Not true.
2.  Done for a selfish reason.
3.  Intended to hurt someone.

Therefore, if an 'untruth' is used to get someone to join or keep them from leaving, it is not a lie.  In fact, it is one of the best possible things you could do for them as by telling the 'untruth' you have kept them from separating from Jehovah God.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Jehovah God hates those who lie, so they say, but telling an 'untruth' is good if done for the right reason.

JWs teach that a lie has three parts, all three must be present for something to be a lie.

1.  Not true.

Therefore, if an 'untruth' is used to get someone to join or keep them from leaving, it is not a lie.  In fact, it is one of the best possible things you could do for them as by telling the 'untruth' you have kept them from separating from Jehovah God.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was married to one.

1.  Not true.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

And how many times was the tetragramiton (yhwh or jehovah) removed from your King James? Over 6800 times. Is it even in your bible at all, most kjv only have it 7 times, and most modern translations even remove them. Talk about changing a bible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

KJV

NWT

lol.  You can really tell who's studied their talking points in this thread.

The term Jehovah is an Anglicization of the Latin term Lehouah, which was itself a Latinization of Yahweh, which it the traditional pronunciation of the tetragrammaton.

So, while you think that Jehovah is "God's name" it is in fact a translation of a translation of God's name which really doesn't reflect the actual pronunciation of the tetragrammaton at all.

Why do Christians traditionally translate the tetragrammaton as "Lord"?  Its out of respect for the name of God, following from the tradition that one should not pronounce the tetragrammaton.

You would know that if you objectively studied history, which of course JW leadership generally forbids people to do.  Thus leaving JW's with a lot of talking points and no understanding of the facts.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The term Jehovah is an Anglicization of the Latin term Lehouah, which was itself a Latinization of Yahweh, which it the traditional pronunciation of the tetragrammaton.

So, while you think that Jehovah is "God's name" it is in fact a translation of a translation of God's name which really doesn't reflect the actual pronunciation of the tetragrammaton at all.

Why do Christians traditionally translate the tetragrammaton as "Lord"?  Its out of respect for the name of God, following from the tradition that one should not pronounce the tetragrammaton.

You would know that if you objectively studied history, which of course JW leadership generally forbids people to do.  Thus leaving JW's with a lot of talking points and no understanding of the facts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

KJV

NWT

Sounds like 90% of theists I encounter in GD science threads.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

KJV

NWT

Meh, sounds like a lot of atheists in general.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#30]
ah yes, the good ol' JW Cult

Can tear a family apart when one gets infected.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:34:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So your not willing to die for your beliefs? If you joined the military I would think you would right? And a doctor telling you you will die without one, what guarantee does the your doctor give you that you will live if you get one? Maybe your should read the constitution again
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Except they look down anyone that serves, think only so many thousands are admitted into "paradise" after they lie in wormy earth till judgement day, wont serve themselves and wont stand for the national anthem. Wont accept blood transfusions and will let their child die rather than have one... etc etc

They don't look down on people that serve, but true they don't serve themselves. Matthew 26:52 - live by sword die by sword; they remain politically neutral - John 17:6 - no part of the world; Romans 13:1 - subject to governments authority, Matthew 22:21 - pay back Caesars things to Caesar - so they obey the law and pay taxes as long as the governments laws don't interfere with serving God.

John 17:3 - eternal life for those who come to know God - but it's more than just knowing who God is, even the demons know who God is (James 2-19) but faith without works is dead (James 2:20) so it takes action to be saved. Actions like following gods direction and living according to his laws and teaching others to come to know him. Paradise is for any and all who serve God, but heaven is only for a small number 144000 (revelation 7:4) this is a definite number given to John where 7:9 talks about a great crowd no man was able to number so that's is why it's viewed as a set number.

National anthem - while they submit to the governments and live peacefully, they don't offer their allegiance to any nation or group only God.

As for blood transfusions - https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/jehovahs-witnesses-why-no-blood-transfusions/Read it from their own website with plenty of references to medical studies and journals; and it shows benefits to performing surgeries without blood transfusions

Benefits like being told "your child will die if we don't give him blood" and saying NO to it? those kind of benefits?  My area, they do look down on those that serve, and are very vocal about it. That notwithstanding, the fact a guy duped them into the cult to build a palace for the coming, and then moved into it himself when it didn't happen, says plenty. What says more is two of my closest friends and one serving member were cast out and ostracized by the church and whole family by joining up and serving.  TO hell with that mindset. You don't want to pleg allegiance, and cast out those that do including family members? You shouldn't be here. Pick another damn place to live.

lol

We got a live one!
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

KJV

NWT

Yes I understand jehovah the most accepted form of gods name and the true pronunciation may or may not be correct, however changing he bible for a tradition of man - not acceptable because knowwhere did God say in the bible to not use his name.

More reading for you - https://researchsupportsthetruth.wordpress.com/2013/07/08/why-is-gods-name-missing-from-many-bibles/
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:46:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes I understand jehovah the most accepted form of gods name and the true pronunciation may or may not be correct, however changing he bible for a tradition of man - not acceptable because knowwhere did God say in the bible to not use his name.

More reading for you - https://researchsupportsthetruth.wordpress.com/2013/07/08/why-is-gods-name-missing-from-many-bibles/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

KJV

NWT

Jehovah is not God's name either, so your point is moot.

Translating the tetragrammaton as "Jehovah" is just as much "a tradition of man" than translating it "Lord."

Of course, I doubt you'll see that since its your tradition.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:02:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Fortunately this is still a free country....to some extent anyway.

I'm glad they are free to practice the religion of their choice.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:27:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

1.  Not true.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was married to one.

1.  Not true.

Please provide sources.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:02:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Jesus Christ is the Creator, and He certainly did receive the worship of men.

Mt 2:2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.

Mt 2:11 And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.

Mt 8:2 And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.

Mt 9:18 While he spake these things unto them, behold, there came a certain ruler, and worshipped him, saying, My daughter is even now dead: but come and lay thy hand upon her, and she shall live.

Mt 14:33 Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God.

Mt 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Mt 15:25 Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.

Mt 18:26 The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.

Mt 20:20 Then came to him the mother of Zebedee’s children with her sons, worshipping him, and desiring a certain thing of him.

Mt 28:9 And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.

Many more verses show where men worshipped Jesus, and Jesus received that worship.

And as far as God's name?  He has many.  Jehovah is not His only name.  Jesus is one.  Jealous is another.

Ex 34:14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correction - jehovahs witnesses do follow Jesus - they even follow his commands at Matthew 28:18-20- 19 "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” But throughout Jesus earthly ministry he never once ever asked for praise for himself, when people bowed to him he corrected them always giving glory to his father - the creator of all things - jehovah - who's name was removed from most bibles and replaced with only titles like "lord" and "almighty"

Psalms 83:18 - "That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth."

Jesus Christ is the Creator, and He certainly did receive the worship of men.

Mt 2:2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.

Mt 2:11 And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.

Mt 8:2 And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.

Mt 9:18 While he spake these things unto them, behold, there came a certain ruler, and worshipped him, saying, My daughter is even now dead: but come and lay thy hand upon her, and she shall live.

Mt 14:33 Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God.

Mt 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Mt 15:25 Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.

Mt 18:26 The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.

Mt 20:20 Then came to him the mother of Zebedee’s children with her sons, worshipping him, and desiring a certain thing of him.

Mt 28:9 And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.

Many more verses show where men worshipped Jesus, and Jesus received that worship.

And as far as God's name?  He has many.  Jehovah is not His only name.  Jesus is one.  Jealous is another.

Ex 34:14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

Ill bite, If Jesus is the lord and the creator then why did he often pray to god, sometimes for hours on end, (Why pray to yourself?) and why did he preach about his heavenly father? Also why when on the stake did he plead out to his father, if he is the father?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:09:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Had a visit from two Jehovah's Witnesses earlier this afternoon. I asked them if they earned bonus points for going door-to-door in this hot weather. They seemed offended. Hell, it was a serious question - I wonder about these things!  
View Quote

OFFS, they are in their minds doing gods work, if you dont want to talk to them just say so, if you want to be nice offer them a glass of water.  Its not like they are trying to sell you a Kirby.

Jeez

Speed
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:20:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

+1 on all of the above.  

A lot of them are genuinely good people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
JW threads here are just as tiring as the Trump Hillary threads to me.

If your curious as to what they believe, ask them. I've got a Muslim coworker who I had questions about their diet, what constitutes Halal, so I asked him. Certainly figured he'd know...

I really don't get the hatred for a group that does work for free... They are no more a cult than any other religion and they make some valid points...

Frankly, the more I observe in the news, I hope they are right and God does purge the world soon. It's getting crazier than ever...

+1 on all of the above.  

A lot of them are genuinely good people.

My neighbors are JW. Pretty cool people. One day we were talking and I asked him to tell his people to stop knocking on my door.
He is always talking when they have their meetings it's "JW'S gone wild" lol
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 6:53:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Regarding being rude to them at the door someone told me something and I don't know that it is true.

He said that going door to door is supposed to be part of their service to God, their plight or pilgrimage or whatever you call it. When they get doors slammed in their face or yelled at or whatever they see it as God testing them and giving them hardship to over come and when they do it shows their devotion. I don't know if that is true, I don't know much about JW's or religion in general, but that's what someone told me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
answer the door naked holding a .45 and they will never come back.  Ask me how i know.
View Quote

Carry a large python to the door. Say something like "Thanks for coming! Services are about to begin!
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 7:51:51 AM EDT
[#41]
The biggest thing that bothers me is when they knock on my door to preach on holidays that their faith says they can't celebrate, but mine either says is OK or doesn't say anything on the matter. IMO knocking on my door to convert me on Thanksgiving or Christmas is like coming to my church and preaching a different faith.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Lastly, if they come to your door, simply don't answer it.  Or, politely tell them that you aren't interested and ask them to be on their way.  It doesn't cost us anything to be courteous.
View Quote

IMO, it was a joke, but George Carlin said it best-"Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself". If I'm interested in converting I know where to find you. Until then I have a No Soliciting sign.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:06:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
answer the door naked holding a .45 and they will never come back.  Ask me how i know.
View Quote

Worked for me, Christmas day 1988.  Doorbell rings about 8 am on Christmas day.  Dads had put the turkey on and was reading the paper.  I get out of bed grab the Winchester defender and go to the door in my underwear and ask them just what the hell they are doing at my house on Christmas morning.

They left.  Even to this day they will not stop at that house.

I don't care who you are you don't go door to door fucking with people on Christmas Day.

Another tactic is to tell them to come on in and that we will read from the bible, MY bible.  They will beat feet out of there

Seriously there is a website called watchthetower where you can get info and break away from this cult.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:11:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hi All

I am a Jehovah's Witness

Kid
View Quote

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father but through me."

Discuss.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I was married to one.

View Quote

Door-to-door Al Taqqiya?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was saved by the Grace of God through the horrifically painful death of Jesus the Christ.  I accepted this forgiveness and salvation because two friends came into my dorm room 41 years ago and witnessed to me.  I was a teenager and it changed the path of my life.  I am still a born-again believer.  I still keep in touch, with them.  One of them is a minister.  My journey started because of "recruitment."  Jesus tells us that he does want us to seek our self-interests and the only true way of doing this is to sign on with him.  God doesn't need us but He desires a personal relationship with Him.  If an eternity with Him isn't a good reward, nothing is.

And what does acceptance mean to us?  We accept Christ and our journey begins.  Jesus does expect us to be his representative on earth and to in turn bring the Good News to others.

The JWs do not believe in a triune God.  As such they reject the divinity of Christ.

Jesus replied, "Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and yet you still don't know who I am? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father! So why are you asking me to show him to you?  John 14:9.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Well deserved sentence. ISIS "puts their money where their mouth is" too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excommunication of family members for wanting to serve the country they live in and that they reap all the benefits from being a citizen of is hunkey dorey with you?  Well okay then.  Not wanting to do it yourself is one thing, claiming to be a citizen of a country, taking all the advantages, not doing a damn thing to protect them and  pretending your blood that DOES serve is dead to you is normal.. And you see no issue with that. O.K. then, carry on approving of the worst kind of FSA.

My father spent YEARS in Federal penitentiary (He was a JW) for refusing the draft. You may, or may not like his religious stance, but he and a bunch of others put their money where the mouth was and paid a big price. I can also assure you, he was in no way shape or form, FSA.

I was about to post this, too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So did the nazis and the Soviet Union - many jehovahs witnesses were executed for their faith.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excommunication of family members for wanting to serve the country they live in and that they reap all the benefits from being a citizen of is hunkey dorey with you?  Well okay then.  Not wanting to do it yourself is one thing, claiming to be a citizen of a country, taking all the advantages, not doing a damn thing to protect them and  pretending your blood that DOES serve is dead to you is normal.. And you see no issue with that. O.K. then, carry on approving of the worst kind of FSA.

My father spent YEARS in Federal penitentiary (He was a JW) for refusing the draft. You may, or may not like his religious stance, but he and a bunch of others put their money where the mouth was and paid a big price. I can also assure you, he was in no way shape or form, FSA.

So did the nazis and the Soviet Union - many jehovahs witnesses were executed for their faith.

They were killed for their refusal to bow to the state.  The reason was unimportant to the Nazis.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:44:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nivea was not where the Triune God was created.  The triune God always existed.  Nicea's purpose was to clarify the Church's teachings and to remove the profane from the sacred teachings.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#50]
JWs are like the Chik-fil-a's of the religions in the world.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top