Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#1]
For the same reason bacteria still exist.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Dear Science: Why aren’t apes evolving into humans?

The man be keeping dem down.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#3]
This posts allele frequencies are changing over time into a tag to watch da jaysus posts.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Evolution take a long time.
View Quote

Yep.  A LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG time, unless you are selective breeding as we do with dogs and other domesticated animals.  When humans force the issue we can speed some things up.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Page 3 and nobody had thrown Bigfoot into the discussions? Son I am disappoint!
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Have we ever tried to impregnate any ape/monkey species?  Is the DNA too different?  I don't think it works with goats.

I bet GD guys would line up for some animal puss.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Interestingly enough...  given the right (or wrong) circumstances, environment, and conditions, Humans could evolve back into something resembling an forest dwelling ape again.  Given enough time and food-stamps, it is almost sure to happen.
View Quote

Thread winner.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Once humans started building houses and making medicine, our evolution has been changed forever. We are no longer a product of nature. At least it will be really hard for nature to change us. Since we are the dominate species and we have nukes, it is unlikely we will be toppled by any other species, unless it is a virus or bacteria.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm certainly not "god squad" by any means, but that answer was pretty weak.  It really doesn't address evolution, and he could have given very simple answers for it such as TIME (how long evolution takes) or that is how they did in fact evolve.  He really doesn't answer the actual evolution part of the question at all.  He basically went back to his primal instincts and tossed poop all over, hoping some of it would stick.

Once humans started building houses and making medicine, our evolution has been changed forever. We are no longer a product of nature. At least it will be really hard for nature to change us. Since we are the dominate species and we have nukes, it is unlikely we will be toppled by any other species, unless it is a virus or bacteria.

It proves more useful and scientific to have a healthy skepticism about all unproven theories of evolution/non-evolution. Doesn't serve a purpose in the discovery of scientific knowledge to commit yourself to an unproven theory so.... zealously. "You" in the general sense, not you specifically.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The thought has crossed my mind before that we may not be the first hyper-intelligent species to live on this planet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always did think it was strange that of all the millions and millions of species that have lived on earth, only one evolved into building skyscrapers, mapping DNA, exploring space, etc. The other 99.9999999% are still the same dumbass animals they were hundreds/thousands/millions of years ago.

I'm not coming from a religious point of view here, I've just never heard a solid explanation of why we have evolved so much further than every other species.

The race isn't done yet. Maybe something rises and takes our place, maybe we start going backwards (been to a Walmart lately?), maybe there were intelligent species several times before but were taken out by whatever mechanism.

Maybe we just got lucky with the domestication of the wolf/agriculture, it's hard to imagine we'd have made the gains we have without that pushing us along.

The thought has crossed my mind before that we may not be the first hyper-intelligent species to live on this planet.

We're not. There have been hominid skulls discovered with far larger cranial brain capacity than we have.  Us homo Sapiens outbred, outmurdered, or just outlucked them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#10]

I can tell you have a super deep understanding of theology and human nature.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Dear Science,

Why are so many people so stupid?

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Because apes are apes and humans are humans.

The end.
View Quote

Humans are a member of the great Ape/Hominid family.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#13]
would be cool to have a drone program fly over Sentinel Island to start getting better data of man with no outside influence vs man who has every resource at his finger tips.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I always did think it was strange that of all the millions and millions of species that have lived on earth, only one evolved into building skyscrapers, mapping DNA, exploring space, etc. The other 99.9999999% are still the same dumbass animals they were hundreds/thousands/millions of years ago.

I'm not coming from a religious point of view here, I've just never heard a solid explanation of why we have evolved so much further than every other species.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Watch "worldstar" and get back to us.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Who is to say that every human is fully evolved!?
View Quote

The end result of the evolutionary view of human genetics is precisely that some people are not "fully evolved". This contributed to if not directly caused many of the atrocities of the 20th century.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm going with 1 million years

Step 1: Lose the hair

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is that step one?  Hair is an evolutionary step forward.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It must be the reason you always pop up in the Religious threads?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got to love all the anti-evolution folks who come into science threads.

If you don't believe in evolution, why are you always talking about it? To use theist's logic, if you claim not to believe something but jump at every chance to talk about it, clearly you must know for a fact that evolution is true and you are scared to admit it because it would mean you can't live life how you want, but rather, must conform with reality.

Whiff!

Right over your head.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The end result of the evolutionary view of human genetics is precisely that some people are not "fully evolved". This contributed to if not directly caused many of the atrocities of the 20th century.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it isn't.   And no it didn't.

There is no such thing as "fully evolved."   Quit making shit up, please.

Or at least, make up interesting shit like demon-squatch stories.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Evolution has no inherent direction.  A change can increase the chances of survival, or decrease it, or have no effect.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you don't believe in evolution, why are you always talking about it? To use theist's logic, if you claim not to believe something but jump at every chance to talk about it, clearly you must know for a fact that evolution is true and you are scared to admit it because it would mean you can't live life how you want, but rather, must conform with reality.

Like a moth to a flame......
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Mikie, Michelle Sotorro is an prehistoric ape.....
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, amazing.

You almost got the point of my post, except you missed the fact that people have been telling me that for 10 years and I'm just now applying their own logic against them, hence, the point of my post.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

yup, so long that it hasn't even happened yet.

It's a religion. Based completely off a belief for which there is no hard evidence.  None.

But go ahead and believe there is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup, so long that it hasn't even happened yet.

It's a religion. Based completely off a belief for which there is no hard evidence.  None.

But go ahead and believe there is.

I'll just bet your personal religion has nothing to do with that statement.  Don't bother responding.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever heard of the term Untermensch? Germans believed certain classes of people were not fully human, e.g. not fully evolved, and consequently look what they did.

If you reach the end of an algebra equation and realize you are left with 1=2, it becomes obvious to any thinking person that there was a mistake somewhere in their work, because the end result simply cannot be true. Likewise, if at the conclusion of your world view, you would agree with the assertion of characters such as Adam Lanza who believed they could commit acts of unimaginable evil, and avoid accountability forever by taking the easy way out via suicide.. If you believe there is no judgment or accountability after death, then by definition it cannot be a good worldview, if the end result has evil triumphing and never held accountable. Evolution says that instead of divine beings created in the image of God for His fellowship, that we are animals who evolved on our own, by chance. But interestingly enough, even in evolution believing societies such as North Korea, a replacement for God has to be found, and usually it is the state. As beings created to worship God, in His absence a replacement will always be found. And this is why in the years following the removal of God from public schools, Liberals have been following a more and more bizarre religion, made up year by year as they go, until today they deny even that we were created male and female.  

And with that last line, you lost me.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, its not. Only people who don't understand the science think that way.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Evolution has no inherent direction.  A change can increase the chances of survival, or decrease it, or have no effect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that is true, then why hasn't anyone addressed the quote from the OP:
"Those creatures have been on their own lineage for 10 million years. You can't go back up that lineage and back down again."

Why not?  If evolutionary direction is freely moblie, then why can't it 'devolve' the way it came when facing the necessary environment?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There are still places on Earth where it makes sense to be a gorilla, chimpanzee, etc.

View Quote

Hmmm.

Nah.  The joke I wanted to make here is probably not CoC compliant.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, maybe I should break out the crayons and draw a picture:

I said "USING THEIST LOGIC....."

This means, the logic is not mine (even though it is frequently applied to me by others), I'm just applying it to others for the sake of logical consistency.

That's the point of my post.  If you use their own logic on them: anyone who doesn't believe in evolution who posts in a thread about evolution clearly knows for a fact that evolution is true.

I didn't create the "if you talk about something you claim not to believe in, then you believe in it" argument, I'm just using it to ensure it is applied fairly, and we don't cherry pick which situation we use it in and which situation we don't.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

Meme of the year right there.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Ever heard of the term Untermensch? Germans believed certain classes of people were not fully human, e.g. not fully evolved, and consequently look what they did.

If you reach the end of an algebra equation and realize you are left with 1=2, it becomes obvious to any thinking person that there was a mistake somewhere in their work, because the end result simply cannot be true. Likewise, if at the conclusion of your world view, you would agree with the assertion of characters such as Adam Lanza who believed they could commit acts of unimaginable evil, and avoid accountability forever by taking the easy way out via suicide.. If you believe there is no judgment or accountability after death, then by definition it cannot be a good worldview, if the end result has evil triumphing and never held accountable. Evolution says that instead of divine beings created in the image of God for His fellowship, that we are animals who evolved on our own, by chance. But interestingly enough, even in evolution believing societies such as North Korea, a replacement for God has to be found, and usually it is the state. As beings created to worship God, in His absence a replacement will always be found. And this is why in the years following the removal of God from public schools, Liberals have been following a more and more bizarre religion, made up year by year as they go, until today they deny even that we were created male and female.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah...the "evolution is a foundation for an immoral world view" bullshit?

No...that fails.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

"Those creatures have been on their own lineage for 10 million years. You can't go back up that lineage and back down again."

Why not?  If evolutionary direction is freely moblie, then why can't it 'devolve' the way it came when facing the necessary environment?
View Quote

Evolution just means change over time (generations). But from our perspective, some things have "devolved." It's really just more change...more adaptations.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It can go in any direction imaginable, but even if in say, 30 million years, human descendants resemble a monkey, they would not be close to monkeys.

Infact, they'd be much, much farther away genetically to monkeys than we are.

Convergent evolution can produce phenotypes which bear resemblances to ancestral phenotypes if conditions change sufficiently to favor that phenotype again.

That doesn't mean, however, that the genotype of the "new" version won't be significantly different. In fact, its a near mathematical certainty that it will be extremely different.

Also, even if the "new" version looks similar to a long gone ancestral version, I'd bet there would be anatomical differences which would distinguish them too even if you had no clue about their lineages.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Arguing evolution with most people is like playing chess with a pigeon.

No matter how good your opening move; the pigeon will strut around, shitting on the board and knocking over pieces, acting like it is winning.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No...that fails.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No...that fails.

Something that changes and gets rewritten as often as evolution can't be a foundation for much anything good.

Matthew 7:24-27 tells the story of someone who built his house using the constantly shifting beach sand as a foundation, and another who built his house on the solid rock. Guess which house stood longer?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s42.photobucket.com/user/dbrad197/media/Mobile%20Uploads/10730221_563721360331004_2331799269754854247_n_zps84smxetn.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e345/dbrad197/Mobile%20Uploads/10730221_563721360331004_2331799269754854247_n_zps84smxetn.jpg</a>
View Quote

image by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I ain't no dumbass animal. Do you see me howling at the moon, eating my own poop, whacking off, or playing soccer?
View Quote

So you have a high fence around your yard and you think that makes you special. OK.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They also were Christians, and bought into anti-semitism of the stripe of martin Luther. Look what they did.
Clearly christianity is bad, Protestantism is bad, and leads to an immoral world view.
If
someone doesn't value this life at all, and only values the afterlife,
and they think god wants them to kill people, clearly it shows that such
a person has no moral foundation not to kill people. Rather, people who
think this life is the only one we have and are afraid to die are much
more moral and trustworthy than people who think this life is shit and
that they should do whatever god wants, even if that is to kill "the bad
people".
North Korea is an "evolution believing society"?  Are they even educated over there? Sounds like too much chance of having peasants get out of hand if you start teaching them about science and math and shit.
The bottom line is:Your worldview says that people must believe in a magical god or they are bad and evil and will kill people. That's fine, that's your opinion. But its completely and utterly wrong to think that it is anything more than that, an opinion. It is also completely wrong to think that your opinion about history is any more valid than my opinion about history.

What is apparent, though, is that you do not have an understanding of what the theory of evolution is, what it says, or what evidence we have for it. Listening to people "attack" evolution using questionable views of history is always as bad as listening to people "attack" guns using questionable statistics and tear jerker stories. You can always tell when someone doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground when they start bringing up Hitler or the KKK to "win" their argument.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Convergent evolution can produce phenotypes which bear resemblances to ancestral phenotypes if conditions change sufficiently to favor that phenotype again.

That doesn't mean, however, that the genotype of the "new" version won't be significantly different. In fact, its a near mathematical certainty that it will be extremely different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does that mean the genotypic variance leading to evolutionarily advantageous phenotypes only varies unidirectionally?  If the genotypic changes that lead to phenotypic changes are NOT limited, then what is to stop retrograde genetic changes (aside from the obviously stated environmental suitability)?

ETA spelling
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Does that mean the genotypic variance leading to evolutionarily advantageous phenotypes only varies unidirectionally?  If the genotypic changes the lead to phenotypic changes are NOT limited, then what is to stop retrograde genetic changes (aside from the obviously stated environmental suitability)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Does that mean the genotypic variance leading to evolutionarily advantageous phenotypes only varies unidirectionally?  If the genotypic changes the lead to phenotypic changes are NOT limited, then what is to stop retrograde genetic changes (aside from the obviously stated environmental suitability)?
No. At least not in my armchair biologist understanding.
It just means that genetic changes themselves tend to accumulate randomly. So while you might end up with something that looks like a monkey given enough time and pressure on something like a modern human, that animal would be very, very different genetically than a modern day monkey. Why? Because at the actual genetic level the shift in genes will have occurred by selection working on more or less random changes. These random changes won't produce the same genome as a modern monkey (one simple example is because we have had a chromosomal fusion, even if we produce descendants who look like monkeys in a few dozen million years, they'll probably have a different number of chromosomes than modern monkeys).
Its not a case of old genes re-emerging (or at least, not more than a few of them), but rather new genetic material changing to give a similar appearance to the old genes.
I do not think it works such that an entire organism becomes a "genetic throwback". Assuming this is what you mean by "retrograde changes".
If by "retrograde changes", you mean an animal that is less intelligent and more zoo animal like than human? Sure, that's entirely possible.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Something that changes and gets rewritten as often as evolution can't be a foundation for much anything good.

Matthew 7:24-27 tells the story of someone who built his house using the constantly shifting beach sand as a foundation, and another who built his house on the solid rock. Guess which house stood longer?
View Quote

Biology isn't good?

I disagree.

Besides, what do you think gets changed or rewritten that often with evolution? Sure, discoveries are made sometimes that affect the details, but the overall premise isn't in question.

Who the hell is "building their house" on evolution?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote

Holy shit

If I believed in a creator, I would thank him daily for not giving me your reasoning skills.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL.

The reason evolution got written and re-written is because the founders didn't want to get killed/ beat/ or ostracized by the oppression of religion.

The modern definition is pretty stable and backed by modern scientific theory, a thing which did not exist at the dawn of evolutionary study.

Same way we finally got over the whole geocentric thing, where scientists were killed as heretics by the church for not believing the universe revolved the earth. Religious norms fell to a preponderance of evidence.

"tells the story of someone who built his house using the constantly shifting beach sand as a foundation, and another who built his house on the solid rock. Guess which house stood longer?"

Using a quotation to create a false dichotomy is pointless.

Which is probably why the church killed philosophers as well.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Holy shit
If I believed in a creator, I would thank him daily for not giving me your reasoning skills.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit

How did you not understand that?

All he said that Religion is a tool of controlling a populace, and in the absence on those control measures, new ones will be found.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Discussions like this are why I support federal standards for education.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Why if I cut off a finger it don't grow back.

Why a dick get hard ain't got no  bone.

Why a butt hole bite off a turd ain't got no teeth.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Discussions like this are why I support federal standards for education.
View Quote

No kidding.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No...that fails.

Bullshit.

The entire modern world depends on science. Science is based on the idea that our understanding of the universe must be updated to be more accurate when new facts show us our previous notions are wrong.

Science brought us modern medicine, and electricity, and the internet, and any number of things that you take advantage of on a daily basis.

Speaking of shifting sands: Christianity itself is a shifting sand, what with 10,000 different sects and billions of different personal interpretations of it.  You can't base your life on a worldview that is as subjective as an ink blot test.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Wow, amazing.

You almost got the point of my post, except you missed the fact that people have been telling me that for 10 years and I'm just now applying their own logic against them, hence, the point of my post.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, amazing.

The "Reality" you speak about is something I'm not aware of because I haven't followed you or this site for 10 years. So it wasn't meant in negative way just something I've noticed. One reality is; is that most atheist believe all religious people believe the same thing. Christians as an example.  But, it is the same way religious people feel about there being only one type of atheist. We are both wrong. We are all individuals and it's why we care and explore what the truth is. Then debate it on sites like this.
One day we'll have the correct answer, if allowed.
I for one don't believe I evolved from a monkey/ape. Although scientist continue to examine and look at the evolution of mankind I don't believe there would be one scientist that truly said we have ALL the answers. It's why they are scientist. It's also why we must have an open mind about the future of what they discover.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote
This...?!

C'mon....

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top