Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 6/27/2016 4:26:02 PM EDT
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/06/27/dear-science-why-arent-apes-evolving-into-humans/?ref=yfp

Dear Science: Why are there no hominins left on Earth? If evolution is ongoing and species are always changing and adapting, shouldn't we see new human-like species evolving from apes, even if the old ones died out?

Here's what science has to say:

We hate to be the ones to break it to you, but you are an ape.

So were the Neanderthals, the Hobbits, Lucy the Australopithecus, the Taung child and Peking man. And while we're at it, so are orangutans, gorillas, bonobos and chimpanzees. All of us evolved from a common ancestor that lived about 14 million years ago, and together we make up the taxonomic family Hominidae. Also known as hominids. Also known as great apes.

And there are hominins left on Earth — us. "Hominin" is the the technical term for archaic and modern humans — that is, creatures that are more closely related to us than they are to gorillas and chimps. (We know, the terminology can be confusing. Bring it up with the paleoanthropologists.) And to explain why we are the only ones around — for now, at least — you have to think about how evolution works.

First of all, the creatures we call apes are our cousins, not our ancestors. Which would make it very hard for them to evolve into something like us.

"Asking why an archaic human isn't evolving from gorillas today is like asking why the children of your cousins don't look more like you," said Matt Tocheri, an anthropology professor at Lakehead University and a researcher in the National Museum of Natural History's Human Origins Program. "Those creatures have been on their own lineage for 10 million years. You can't go back up that lineage and back down again."
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Because apes are apes and humans are humans.

The end.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Evolution take a long time.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Dear 4th grader, stay in school.

Love, Science
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Well. everyone knows the dinosaurs ate them all.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because apes are apes and humans are humans.

The end.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#8]
This will be fun to follow.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Interestingly enough...  given the right (or wrong) circumstances, environment, and conditions, Humans could evolve back into something resembling an forest dwelling ape again.  Given enough time and food-stamps, it is almost sure to happen.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#10]
In before the God Squad.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

And the Annunaki aliens quit coming here, so no one is here to accelerate the process.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#12]
How can this not have evolved into 2 pages yet?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"Those creatures have been on their own lineage for 10 million years. You can't go back up that lineage and back down again."
View Quote

Why not?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Love, Science
View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Love, Science
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

It is fascinating to see this kind of skill in an ape, but it leads to the question, the chimp is able to quickly memorize strings of numbers, but at the expense of what?  Speech?  Fine motor skills?  It's almost like autistic savants, who are able to perform incredible, but very, very narrow skills, like being able to count out prime numbers in sequence ad infinitum.  However, they often fail spectacularly at simple tasks we take for granted every day.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Where is your God now, atheist?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I always did think it was strange that of all the millions and millions of species that have lived on earth, only one evolved into building skyscrapers, mapping DNA, exploring space, etc. The other 99.9999999% are still the same dumbass animals they were hundreds/thousands/millions of years ago.

I'm not coming from a religious point of view here, I've just never heard a solid explanation of why we have evolved so much further than every other species.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Interestingly enough...  given the right (or wrong) circumstances, environment, and conditions, Humans could evolve back into something resembling an forest dwelling ape again.  Given enough time and food-stamps, it is almost sure to happen.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm certainly not "god squad" by any means, but that answer was pretty weak.  It really doesn't address evolution, and he could have given very simple answers for it such as TIME (how long evolution takes) or that is how they did in fact evolve.  He really doesn't answer the actual evolution part of the question at all.  He basically went back to his primal instincts and tossed poop all over, hoping some of it would stick.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I've attacked myself with a flurry of facepalms.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#22]
There are still places on Earth where it makes sense to be a gorilla, chimpanzee, etc.

Humans, deprived of their clothing, weapons, and other inventions, could not survive in those places.

We hate to be the ones to break it to you, but you are an ape.

That is painfully obvious to anyone who has ever driven a vehicle in traffic.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Arguing evolution with most people is like playing chess with a pigeon.

No matter how good your opening move; the pigeon will strut around, shitting on the board and knocking over pieces, acting like it is winning.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There are still places on Earth where it makes sense to be a gorilla, chimpanzee, etc.

Humans, deprived of their clothing, weapons, and other inventions, could not survive in those places.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I always did think it was strange that of all the millions and millions of species that have lived on earth, only one evolved into building skyscrapers, mapping DNA, exploring space, etc. The other 99.9999999% are still the same dumbass animals they were hundreds/thousands/millions of years ago.

I'm not coming from a religious point of view here, I've just never heard a solid explanation of why we have evolved so much further than every other species.
View Quote

All the rest are FSA.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

yup, so long that it hasn't even happened yet.

It's a religion. Based completely off a belief for which there is no hard evidence.  None.

But go ahead and believe there is.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:46:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Obviously you've never been to New Orleans. Evolution is slow.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's a religion. Based completely off a belief for which there is no hard evidence.  None.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhhhh there is a ton of evidence for evolution, like a crazy large amount. Its pretty basic stuff dude, research into yourself with a open mind.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

Well, I've never been to New Orleans (since I was a young child).  But I've been to Oklahoma.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

because we killed off the competition.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Uhhhh there is a ton of evidence for evolution, like a crazy large amount. Its pretty basic stuff dude, research into yourself with a open mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome answer since it is so basic can you provide us with some examples ?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

In before the God Squad.
View Quote
Hi, this is Peggy.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like you dude but you're wrong here.

Take some biology courses.  This is a 101 kind of a deal.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

The race isn't done yet. Maybe something rises and takes our place, maybe we start going backwards (been to a Walmart lately?), maybe there were intelligent species several times before but were taken out by whatever mechanism.

Maybe we just got lucky with the domestication of the wolf/agriculture, it's hard to imagine we'd have made the gains we have without that pushing us along.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I think the answer is pretty simple--Nature is experimenting on us, and seeing how this whole "intelligence" thing works out. If it's successful, then more intelligent creatures will evolve.

As it is, I think the jury is still out about this whole "success" thing. Intelligence may not actually be a very good survival trait, over the long haul. Mama nature may well be cuing up the extermination machine as we speak.

And, of course, there is nothing to say that we're the first intelligences to evolve here on earth, either. There could have been a bunch of past attempts at it, and we've just missed the signs of it all. I'd laugh my ass off if someone digs up signs of a sapient creature from back in the days of the dinosaurs, and we figure out that the whole Chicxulub thing was due to them mining the asteroids, and then losing control of one...

The thing a lot of people fail to grasp is that we really don't have a solid, continuous historical record of life on this planet. It's more like a series of random snapshots, and we're trying to extrapolate a whole lot of shit from very limited and somewhat shaky evidence. There's plenty of room in the fossil record for there to shoehorn in the entirety of human history from Lucy forward to today, and we'd never know. How much of human history would be evident, after a million or so years...? Hell, we would probably have trouble finding signs we were here after the next major ice age.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote
Well, for us believers in the God Squad, it says we were created in the image of God and given dominion over animals and everything else created. In other words, we are special snowflakes.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

No, they evolved too.  

Each evolutionary path is specific to what assists the survival of that particular species.

Most species do pretty well without using tools.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is an abundance of evidence.  Look it up for yourself.  Here's one of my favorites:

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basically any elementary level biology book should have a decent teaching, but if you want to get into something more meaty here are some very good resources from various scientific institutions.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/0_0_0/lines_01
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_transitional_fossils
http://www.indiana.edu/~oso/evolution/basics.htm
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Because that's not how any of this works.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The race isn't done yet. Maybe something rises and takes our place, maybe we start going backwards (been to a Walmart lately?), maybe there were intelligent species several times before but were taken out by whatever mechanism.

Maybe we just got lucky with the domestication of the wolf/agriculture, it's hard to imagine we'd have made the gains we have without that pushing us along.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The thought has crossed my mind before that we may not be the first hyper-intelligent species to live on this planet.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

And if there had been two of these species? What would have happened then?

What happened to the great wolves that competed with us for meat?

What happened to the buffalo herds that competed with us for space?

What happened to the Neanderthals? (Hint on this one - humans have always been horny bastards.)

Yeah. Any two intelligent species sharing the same environment will fight to extinction, or fuck each other into the same gene pool.

[edit]Really, any two species sharing the same ecological niche in the same geographical area will have those two possible outcomes.[/edit]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Have you looked closely at the latest crop of Democrats?

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Well, I've never been to New Orleans (since I was a young child).  But I've been to Oklahoma.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, they tell me I was born there

But I really don't remember.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top