User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 349
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AFARR:
Those of you fasting more than 24 hrs.....

How often are you doing it?
0 Cal (water only)...or just very low calories each day?

And when you're done...a 'normal' meal....not a large intake?
View Quote
I started 5/2 fasting back in February of this year. For me, Monday and Thursday are my usual fasting days, and my goal is to do it every week if possible, unless I am doing a longer fast. For a 24 hour fast I eat a normal ~500 calorie breakfast and then don't eat again until breakfast the next day. I usually don't go over my calorie goals on that next day when I eat again.  For the longer fasts I usually go over my calorie goal by about 15% on the next day that I eat.

I do Zero calories.  Water, tea, coffee, and a vitamin powder that has no calories.  On my recent 4 day fast I ate one slice of a mushroom because I had to cook some that were in the fridge before they went bad, so just tasted it to check that they were seasoned correctly. I also ate one half of a potsticker. My daughter took it as a sample in Costco and ate half of it and did not like it and I felt bad about throwing it away so I ate the other half.  Other than that I ate nothing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By AFARR:
Those of you fasting more than 24 hrs.....

How often are you doing it?
0 Cal (water only)...or just very low calories each day?

And when you're done...a 'normal' meal....not a large intake?
View Quote
I do it whenever I feel like it, no routine. I've probably done only about 1 per month or so. Most have been 48 hours but my last one was 72.

I cannot eat much on my first meal after fasting. Way less than a "normal" meal.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I did a 3 day last week and am on day 3 of longer fast right now. Depending on how I feel I may try to go for a 5 or 7 day fast. I can drop 2 pounds on a 3 day fast so I want to see how much going longer takes off. While fasting I dont eat anything just water, coffee, tea. Coming off a fast I dont eat any more then normal. Usually its less than 1000 calories. I weighed in at 236 this morning. I want to get down to 185 by years end. I am 6'0 and dont exercise besides standing all day and logging 7500-9500 steps per day on my fitbit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 03PSD:
I did a 3 day last week and am on day 3 of longer fast right now. Depending on how I feel I may try to go for a 5 or 7 day fast. I can drop 2 pounds on a 3 day fast so I want to see how much going longer takes off. While fasting I dont eat anything just water, coffee, tea. Coming off a fast I dont eat any more then normal. Usually its less than 1000 calories. I weighed in at 236 this morning. I want to get down to 185 by years end. I am 6'0 and dont exercise besides standing all day and logging 7500-9500 steps per day on my fitbit.
View Quote
Wake up early and exercise.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I read something the other day suggesting that after 36 hours of fasting, you're experiencing diminishing returns if your goal is autophagy.  

https://besynchro.com/blogs/blog/the-profound-benefits-of-fasting-and-autophagy

The study looking at liver cells found that the number of autophagosomes increased 300% after 24 hours of fasting, and a further 30% after 48 hours of fasting. Studies looking at autophagosomes in brain cells had a similar findings.

In addition to looking at the number of autophagosomes in a cell, the brain study looked at a handful of metabolic markers that are indicative of autophagy being stimulated. Almost of these markers peaked between 24 and 36 hours, explaining why the increase in autophagosomes between 24 and 48 hours is substantially less than between hours 0 and 24.

My take-away from this is that while there is certainly value in fasting longer, there also seems to be an element of diminishing returns once a fast passes the 36 hour mark. As such, I’ve designed my fasting protocol to get close to the 36 hour mark with as little stress and discomfort as possible. More on this in a bit.    
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FreeFloater:
I read something the other day suggesting that after 36 hours of fasting, you're experiencing diminishing returns if your goal is autophagy.  

The study looking at liver cells found that the number of autophagosomes increased 300% after 24 hours of fasting, and a further 30% after 48 hours of fasting. Studies looking at autophagosomes in brain cells had a similar findings.

In addition to looking at the number of autophagosomes in a cell, the brain study looked at a handful of metabolic markers that are indicative of autophagy being stimulated. Almost of these markers peaked between 24 and 36 hours, explaining why the increase in autophagosomes between 24 and 48 hours is substantially less than between hours 0 and 24.

My take-away from this is that while there is certainly value in fasting longer, there also seems to be an element of diminishing returns once a fast passes the 36 hour mark. As such, I’ve designed my fasting protocol to get close to the 36 hour mark with as little stress and discomfort as possible. More on this in a bit.    
View Quote
Great read, thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:15:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: munsen] [#7]
Originally Posted By Qweevox:
No need to tone it down.  Absolutely nothing you can write in a post could be worse than the processed food marketing, fast and junk food advertisements, and purveyors of SAD restaurants.  Shit dude, SAD is EVERYWHERE.   So are fat, sick people.  ....so don't sweat it.  

I do LCHF for health and longevity.  My BMI has been below 25 for quite some time, and I want to keep it that way.  Sadly I'm in the 25th percentile for my sex, age, and height.  Meaning 75% of the guys my age are overweight.   It kind of explains all the drug advertisements for chronic diseases, and the class action lawsuit advertisements for all the complications from those drugs.  

My goal is to have at least another 30 or 40 years of disease free living.  Nothing you could say about bread, booze, or junk is going to bother me.  

One warning though; if you think working out can overcome a shitty diet, you're wrong.   The way you look and your health is mostly what you eat, not by working out.  So if you think you're going to be able to "get skinny" and then go back to eating crap because you're going to workout, be careful.   ....that ain't going to work.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M41911:

I'll tone it down some. Maybe just post recipes or something.
No need to tone it down.  Absolutely nothing you can write in a post could be worse than the processed food marketing, fast and junk food advertisements, and purveyors of SAD restaurants.  Shit dude, SAD is EVERYWHERE.   So are fat, sick people.  ....so don't sweat it.  

I do LCHF for health and longevity.  My BMI has been below 25 for quite some time, and I want to keep it that way.  Sadly I'm in the 25th percentile for my sex, age, and height.  Meaning 75% of the guys my age are overweight.   It kind of explains all the drug advertisements for chronic diseases, and the class action lawsuit advertisements for all the complications from those drugs.  

My goal is to have at least another 30 or 40 years of disease free living.  Nothing you could say about bread, booze, or junk is going to bother me.  

One warning though; if you think working out can overcome a shitty diet, you're wrong.   The way you look and your health is mostly what you eat, not by working out.  So if you think you're going to be able to "get skinny" and then go back to eating crap because you're going to workout, be careful.   ....that ain't going to work.  
This. All of this.

My exercise level has not changed much at all and I'm losing on average about 1.5lbs a week. I actually have a job that requires me to move around a lot. I'm constantly in and out of a forklift and walking a lot too. The only thing that has changed is my diet. I used to think my old diet was healthy, and that all I needed was more exercise.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By M41911:

Thanks I know I'm doing it wrong despite the weight loss. I'm 7 weeks in on a fairly limited amount of recipes to rotate. My bench is not very deep in that regard. I'm struggling keeping fresh food in the house because of lack of imagination coupled with shitty selection at the grocery stores.. Do you do any mineral/vitamin

supplements? I know I was lacking in something on Tuesday.

As far as going back to eating crap when I hit my goal weight...I just meant reintroducing breads and fruits and pastas/rice. Not necessarily SAD.
View Quote
I personally take fish oil and Centrum Silver for men over 50 (even though I'm only 42) every day.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:14:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#9]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Good article, here are my thoughts on it.

Yes the process seems to peak somewhere between 24-48 hour mark.  But it doesn't end.  It just starts to level off.  Once you feed, the process shuts down.  So if you're trying to clean house, you probably should let house cleaning continue for as long as you're comfortable with it.  Shutting it down at 36 hours, would be like making it into ketosis and then shutting that down simply because you achieved it.  

As I said earlier, I track body fat %, muscle %, hydration %, and bone % (which doesn't change).  In the case of fasting my total weight and body fat % both decline, while my muscle % and hydration % both increase.  

Meaning, that even on my longer fasts I'm burning mostly fat.   Which makes sense.  That's what fat is for, providing energy over periods of time, when food isn't available.  

My mental clarity and energy level seem to peek between the 48 and 96 hour mark.   I "feel" really good, and my mind seems to work better after the first 48 hours.

On another note, the article really hit home at something I've been trying to convey in several posts, in this thread

Psychological Benefits (Why I Love Fasting)

A quick word on the utility and value of fasting. It feels incomplete to express the benefits of fasting simply as “stimulation of autophagy” or “increased neurotrophic factors”, etc.

Talk to anyone who fasts on a regular basis and it will be clear that there is more to derive from the experience than simply an abstract understanding that you’re “doing something healthy.” There is an undeniable physical and emotional high that comes with fasting. Almost everyone gets this the day following a fast, and for a lot of people, there is a high in the fasting period that outweighs the slight discomfort of an empty stomach.

I think the reason for this it two-fold - yes, stimulating dozens of vitality-promoting metabolic processes surely contributes to the sense of well being, but I think the psychological component is even more important.

Fasting requires an element of self-mastery. Most of us are conditioned both psychologically and hormonally to be eating multiple times during the day, and any deviation from this causes people to get cranky. This is not healthy.

Fasting also requires us to be present with the initial discomfort of not stuffing our faces every time we feel like it. This is a reversal of the typical power structure in body-brain relations. It puts us in the position of consciously making the decision to eat or not to eat, rather than our stomach (aka hormones) effectively making that decision for us.

Almost all of us would benefit hugely from consciously redefining our relationship to food, and fasting is an powerful opportunity to do this redefinition.

Fasting has taught me a lot about myself, and what I can do.  It's completely changed my relationship with food.  Spiritual or emotional, pick your prefered term, it's made me better.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Prior to starting Keto, over 11 months ago, I've dealt with GERD and took Prilosec to reduce stomach acid. All symptoms of GERD disappeared after the first 15 pounds lost months back on Keto. But now at 90 pounds lost and starting fasting I've experinced stomach acid burning my esophagus where those beginning symptoms of GERD are appearing again. I've been taking Tums when fasting to assist in neutralizing some of that acid doing just 23 hour fasts. I'm concerned about the acid doing damage with attempting longer fasts.  Anybody else experienced or dealt with this too?

With the discussions of how once one is well adapted into Ketosis, has anybody gone mostly vegan? Forcing the body to process mostly onboard fat vs consumed fats? Thou going this direction has me concerned with losing the benifit of the satiation given with consumed fats.

My loss ratios have slowed up so I've been looking at doing other things to tweak and change slightly for some extra variety of methods to continue losses.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:19:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#11]
Originally Posted By Tangotag:
Prior to starting Keto, over 11 months ago, I've dealt with GERD and took Prilosec to reduce stomach acid. All symptoms of GERD disappeared after the first 15 pounds lost months back on Keto. But now at 90 pounds lost and starting fasting I've experinced stomach acid burning my esophagus where those beginning symptoms of GERD are appearing again. I've been taking Tums when fasting to assist in neutralizing some of that acid doing just 23 hour fasts. I'm concerned about the acid doing damage with attempting longer fasts.  Anybody else experienced or dealt with this too?

With the discussions of how once one is well adapted into Ketosis, has anybody gone mostly vegan? Forcing the body to process mostly onboard fat vs consumed fats? Thou going this direction has me concerned with losing the benifit of the satiation given with consumed fats.

My loss ratios have slowed up so I've been looking at doing other things to tweak and change slightly for some extra variety of methods to continue losses.
View Quote
Interesting.

In the "time before time" I was taking a prescribed acid reflux medicine.  I would get horrible acid reflux.  When I did Atkins it went away.  That was the first prescription medication I did away with going LCHF.  I haven't had it since, it's been years.    I think it was wheat that did it to me.   I loved bread, and ate it often.  Different breads would have different effects.  For example for whatever reason, French bread, would sent it over the top.   But pasta not as bad.   It was an absolute painful deal.  

As far as going Vegan for weight loss, I don't know.  Maybe you should try it and see what happens.   I would fast for 48 hours, go into hard ketone production, then go Vegan for a couple of weeks and see what happens.  I do believe fat fills you up.  Eating fat satiates you, and makes the process easier.  It's also an energy source that's not going to jack your blood sugar, which is important.   But I don't think vegetables will do that either.  How do you intend to get enough protien?  

It would help if you gave some stats.  What's your current weight, height?  What's your goal, and activity level?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:08:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tangotag] [#12]
Originally Posted By Qweevox
(Snip re:Vegan)
How do you intend to get enough protien?  

It would help if you gave some stats.  What's your current weight, height?  What's your goal, and activity level?
View Quote
The Vegan thing for protein I was leaning toward allowing still eating eggs.  I've seen they use a suppliment powdered egg mix for protein source but just eating eggs would cut the potential for slipping in carb buffer in some mix. I did download a free book from Amazon on Vegan Keto but haven't looked at it yet and was curious if anyone has tried it. Seeing how my volume of fiber intake determines the comfort of my bathroom visits, I was thinking maybe more fiber couldn't "hurt" as it were.

Stats:  6'0", starting weight 300# 8/11/16, current 209. Ultimate Goal:hit my "Normal" BMI at 184. Activity level up until the last 30 days relatively inactive. As of late the activity level has been increasing and likely to continue increasing.  I originally wanted to say I lost 100 pounds in a year on Keto and never broke a sweat or entered a gym in that year. But, the massive losses have stalled and the creeping pace from 220 to 210 has been grueling. So increasing activity level has done a bit of re-energizing the efforts. I may not be able to hit 100 pounds lost in a year but I'm sure going to be close.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:23:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 03PSD] [#13]

View Quote
I expereinced the same thing last night. I am 90 hours into what I thought was going to be a 5 day fast but I think my body is telling me something. Acid reflux on a stomach thats been empty for over 3 days is a weird sensation.  I also experienced numbness in my arms and hands while laying flat on my back. I have decided to end the fast prematurely and take a week or so off any fast longer then the 24 hours I do daily. I may also be a bit dehydrated although I have been taking in 64 oz of fluid per day. Not sure if thats enough.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I expereinced the same thing last night. I am 90 hours into what I thought was going to be a 5 day fast but I think my body is telling me something. Acid reflux on a stomach thats been empty for over 3 days is a weird sensation.  I also experienced numbness in my arms and hands while laying flat on my back. I have decided to end the fast prematurely and take a week or so off any fast longer then the 24 hours I do daily. I may also be a bit dehydrated although I have been taking in 64 oz of fluid per day. Not sure if thats enough.
View Quote
For dealing with dehydration I've been using the small powder Propel packets. Potassium, Magnesium, and Sodium with no calories or sugar. There is some artificial sweetener though but I'm not sensitive to the one they use. It's so sweet that I use one packet to 32oz of water vs the suggested 16.9oz. Headaches and aching are gone within 20 minutes. I carry these packed in my EDC gear and they are stuffed into all packs and bags. To me they are a primary component in my first aid kits too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:33:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#15]

The Vegan thing for protein I was leaning toward allowing still eating eggs.  I've seen they use a suppliment powdered egg mix for protein source but just eating eggs would cut the potential for slipping in carb buffer in some mix. I did download a free book from Amazon on Vegan Keto but haven't looked at it yet and was curious if anyone has tried it. Seeing how my volume of fiber intake determines the comfort of my bathroom visits, I was thinking maybe more fiber couldn't "hurt" as it were.

Stats:  6'0", starting weight 300# 8/11/16, current 209. Ultimate Goal:hit my "Normal" BMI at 184. Activity level up until the last 30 days relatively inactive. As of late the activity level has been increasing and likely to continue increasing.  I originally wanted to say I lost 100 pounds in a year on Keto and never broke a sweat or entered a gym in that year. But, the massive losses have stalled and the creeping pace from 220 to 210 has been grueling. So increasing activity level has done a bit of re-energizing the efforts. I may not be able to hit 100 pounds lost in a year but I'm sure going to be close.
View Quote
Okay, I didn't know Vegan included eggs.  ...learn something new every day.  Still, that'd take eating a lot of eggs wouldn't it?  Hell, if you eat that many eggs, you're still going to get a lot of fat.  But as long as you avoid fructose in fruit, and keep the vegetable starches as low as possible, I'd give it a try and see what happens.

We're about the same height, I started out at 265? (I actually don't know my heaviest weight, because I didn't weigh myself until after I had started Atkins)  and I can tell you I got stuck in the 210 range for a long time.   But I think my problem is I got sloppy because when I started out my target was around 210.   I had convinced myself that was the weight I needed to be because, I was a "big guy"   ...and I wasn't too fat at that weight.   So I got satisfied, drank good bear, wine, and more carbohydrates than I should have, before I got tired of being chubby.  

Breaking below 200 was a huge milestone.  I stayed in the 190's forever, then finally broke into the 180's, and ultimately went below a BMI of 25.  The last 10-15 lbs took IF, for me.

I'm now convinced that I'm at a point where I'm going to have to do a bulking cycle before I can reduce my body fat anymore.  But I hate doing it because I always gain back fat too.  Then I have to cut again.  Which sucks ass.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#16]

For dealing with dehydration I've been using the small powder Propel packets. Potassium, Magnesium, and Sodium with no calories or sugar. There is some artificial sweetener though but I'm not sensitive to the one they use. It's so sweet that I use one packet to 32oz of water vs the suggested 16.9oz. Headaches and aching are gone within 20 minutes. I carry these packed in my EDC gear and they are stuffed into all packs and bags. To me they are a primary component in my first aid kits too.
View Quote
I decided to get some and try it. Wow, you weren't kidding about how sweet it is in a 16.9oz. bottle!
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#17]
OK, y'all convinced me to give this a try. I listened to Keto Clarity an loaded up on the high fat content groceries. I started a couple of days ago on 75/20/5 and hit them pretty close, but today it seems I'm hungry an hour or so after I eat anything. Is this right? Should I keep eating if I maintain the correct ratios regardless of calories?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Ballistic_Tip:
OK, y'all convinced me to give this a try. I listened to Keto Clarity an loaded up on the high fat content groceries. I started a couple of days ago on 75/20/5 and hit them pretty close, but today it seems I'm hungry an hour or so after I eat anything. Is this right? Should I keep eating if I maintain the correct ratios regardless of calories?
View Quote
Hunger is a state of mind that comes in waves. Resist and it will subside. I am an advocate for fasting and routinely do 24 hour fasts (dinner only every day) with occassional longer fasts, sometimes 3-5 days. Yes, you can go 7-14 days without food so long as you stay hydrated and have the fat stores onboard. Your body will either convert what you eat to fuel or convert your ass to fuel. I still have plenty of ass so it burns it when I am not eating. If youre already at target weight for your height you shouldnt be fasting but few of us are 
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
You are probably used to eating too much. Keto portions are smaller, and not what you are used to. Also you are not fat adapted yet. Power through it and eat the smaller portions on your regular eating schedule. Later when you are used to eating fattier foods, and smaller portions, you can figure out whether eating more or less is right for you. You may even find that you aren't eating on schedule after a while of doing it. You aren't going to lose weight if you don't eat at a caloric deficit or burn more than you are taking in, so watching your calories is somewhat important. I used to be hungry like that, but now I'm only eating 3 meals a day when I'm really hungry after work. On some weekends I only eat once a day. Today, at 6:21 PM I'm just starting to think maybe I should go down to the kitchen and cook an omelet. My first and maybe only meal of the day.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Good article, here are my thoughts on it.

Yes the process seems to peak somewhere between 24-48 hour mark.  But it doesn't end.  It just starts to level off.  Once you feed, the process shuts down.  So if you're trying to clean house, you probably should let house cleaning continue for as long as you're comfortable with it.  Shutting it down at 36 hours, would be like making it into ketosis and then shutting that down simply because you achieved it.  

As I said earlier, I track body fat %, muscle %, hydration %, and bone % (which doesn't change).  In the case of fasting my total weight and body fat % both decline, while my muscle % and hydration % both increase.  

Meaning, that even on my longer fasts I'm burning mostly fat.   Which makes sense.  That's what fat is for, providing energy over periods of time, when food isn't available.  

My mental clarity and energy level seem to peek between the 48 and 96 hour mark.   I "feel" really good, and my mind seems to work better after the first 48 hours.

On another note, the article really hit home at something I've been trying to convey in several posts, in this thread

Fasting has taught me a lot about myself, and what I can do.  It's completely changed my relationship with food.  Spiritual or emotional, pick your prefered term, it's made me better.
View Quote
After reading that article I think I am going to change my fasting schedule.  Instead of fasting for two 24 hour periods each week I am going to fast for one 48 hour period.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Four days in, and I feel GREAT. Picking foods is becoming much easier, and hitting the suggested macros has been really simple. To be honest, aside from feeling a bit off on days 2/3, I never really hit any sort of "flu-like" symptoms. I'm working at roughly a 500-700 calorie deficit per day, and after the first few days my body has adjusted to the quantity of food.

As for salt intake, part of my daily intake Is green olives, which are pretty high in sodium, and I've made a point to salt some of my food (I usually would NEVER add salt to food) with a "low sodium" salt that has higher potassium levels.

Another change that is pending, is my post workout protein. I've been taking optimum nutrition naturally flavored protein, and never thought much about the carb content before. But now, I'm realizing that its pretty high, 7 grams per scoop. I've got some Isopure coming, which is a no-carb protein. Once that gets in, my carb intake should drop to the low to mid 20's, after subtracting fiber.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:57:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wingmanchris] [#22]
View Quote
Honestly, in the beginning I wasn't worried too much about keeping calories down as much as keeping the 75/20/5 macro ratio.  About a week in when my body started to become fat adapted, I was not nearly as hungry.  So I ate less often, and smaller portions.  Next thing you know I was way under my suggested calories for the day, to the point where the MFP app would scold me and give me some shitty warning.  When you reach that point, take it from there...skip meals, fast, do a hiit workout during a fast, the possibilities are endless.

ETA
34yo 6'0"
Started 6/1/17  249.6lb
Today 215.2lb
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the tips everyone. I made it through with water.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
Starting out?

Gorge on food, until you don't feel hungry.  Eat a pound of bacon, and a six egg cheese omelet for breakfast.  Eat steak for lunch and dinner.  Eat cream cheese for a snack.  Eat until you can't eat anymore.  

There's just one rule.  Keep your carbohydrate consumption low.  

When I started out on this, there was only Atkins.   Basically, I became a carnivore.  If it didn't have carbs I ate it.  So do that.  You'll eventually natually move beyond it.  But in the beginning indulge!  Eat all the fat and protien you can stuff in your piehole.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Ras_Thavas:
After reading that article I think I am going to change my fasting schedule.  Instead of fasting for two 24 hour periods each week I am going to fast for one 48 hour period.
View Quote
Might not be a bad idea.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:29:41 PM EDT
[#26]
First cheat day in like 6 months.

Ate an 8oz bag of pistachios and drank a bottle of wine.

ugh. going to be paying the price tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:37:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#27]
Originally Posted By dog-meat:
First cheat day in like 6 months.

Ate an 8oz bag of pistachios and drank a bottle of wine.

ugh. going to be paying the price tomorrow.
View Quote
The wine probably hurt you more than the pistachios.  

People really don't understand the physiology behind alcohol metabolism.  It's not a carbohydrate, but calorie for calorie it's a very toxic substance, and in the end, produces the same result as sugar but with a MORE toxic result.  The end result is fat storage.

It's the dumbest intoxicant that society could have normalized.  I say that as a person that loves using it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Sauteed onions
Ground chicken with Soy, Hoison, and rice vinegar.
Usually I would use romaine lettuce for the wrap, but I got fancy and used some butter lettuce which held the food together better.

I had a brain fart and added the raw chicken right ontop of the sauteed onions in my sauce pan. How sick am I going to get?

Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Vengeance6661:
Sauteed onions
Ground chicken with Soy, Hoison, and rice vinegar.
Usually I would use romaine lettuce for the wrap, but I got fancy and used some butter lettuce which held the food together better.

I had a brain fart and added the raw chicken right ontop of the sauteed onions in my sauce pan. How sick am I going to get?

https://image.ibb.co/nuarkQ/IMG_20170723_114150.jpg
View Quote
I wouldn't make a habit of it, but you're probably fine.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#30]
What is the least bad adult beverage Keto wise you can have? For work I am often in work related social situations where not having an adult beverage would be both noticed and considered rude. Beer, wine, mixed drink? Which is least impactful to my ketosis? Im thinking a vodka tonic because it has no fruit juice and  the amount of vodka by volume is like 2oz.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Vengeance6661:

https://image.ibb.co/nuarkQ/IMG_20170723_114150.jpg
View Quote
I don't understand why this would be an issue. Did you cook the chicken?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#32]
What is the least bad adult beverage Keto wise you can have? For work I am often in work related social situations where not having an adult beverage would be both noticed and considered rude. Beer, wine, mixed drink? Which is least impactful to my ketosis? Im thinking a vodka tonic because it has no fruit juice and  the amount of vodka by volume is like 2oz.
View Quote
Hard unflavored liquor. Scotch on the rocks etc.

Tonic is full of sugar. You can do diet soda with alcohol of choice. Or just plain soda water liquor and lime is pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#33]
New at this, but I am down 37LBS.  Feeling great.  Just got back from the beach so I had to cheat a little but first cheat in 3 months.  Hard to eat keto at the beach but I tried to stick to buffets where I could meat it.  I fractured my back and was out of work for a year and went from 230lbs to 333lbs
333lbs
296lbs
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#34]
My birthday was last week, so tonight I went out with some friends to a Brazilian Steakhouse for a birthday dinner.

So much meat.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Anyone on here have any experience with a Dry Fast?  I've seen a youtube video or two praising it, and am now reading more about it.  

It seems that when you don't take in any liquids, your body frantically seems out moisture inside the body to use (metabolic water)...and it seems that fat holds on to a lot of water as well.  The idea is that by breaking down more fat, water is released.  

I myself have yet to do a water fast longer than 24 hours...but plan to this weekend.  A dry fast would require more planning and a lack of exercise...as well as removal from general society as brushing your teeth and taking a shower are also stopped for the duration (No contact with water).
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:49:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#36]
Anyone on here have any experience with a Dry Fast?  I've seen a youtube video or two praising it, and am now reading more about it.  

It seems that when you don't take in any liquids, your body frantically seems out moisture inside the body to use (metabolic water)...and it seems that fat holds on to a lot of water as well.  The idea is that by breaking down more fat, water is released.  

I myself have yet to do a water fast longer than 24 hours...but plan to this weekend.  A dry fast would require more planning and a lack of exercise...as well as removal from general society as brushing your teeth and taking a shower are also stopped for the duration (No contact with water).
View Quote

Only about 10% of your fat is water.   Muscle on the other hand, is about 70-75% water.  So, fat doesn't contain "a lot" of water.  Which is why the fatter you are the less hydrated you are, the more muscle to fat, the more hydrated.

There is an element of personal challenge to fasting.  People who like to push themselves, are attracted to it.  Admittedly, that's part of its attraction for me. I like to push beyond limits, and see what I can do.  Dry fasting would add another element of challenge to fasting.  My only concern is I like to maintain my normal activity routine when fasting, and part of that is I sweat everyday.  So without water, I imagine I wouldn't be able to do that, or my fast would have to be very short.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:33:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boom_Stick] [#37]
Couple questions about the diet:

1) do you have to eat 3 times a day? Can you skip meals if your not hungry?

2) for those of you who've reached your target weight/health goals, what kind of eating habits did you adopt afterwards? Kept eating keto or moved into a paleo type lifestyle?

3) is coffee ok on keto? (No sugar, just milk with it)
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Boom_Stick:
Couple questions about the diet:

1) do you have to eat 3 times a day? Can you skip meals if your not hungry?

2) for those of you who've reached your target weight/health goals, what kind of eating habits did you adopt afterwards? Kept eating keto or moved into a paleo type lifestyle?

3) is coffee ok on keto? (No sugar, just milk with it)
View Quote
After a while you won't want to eat 3 times a day. If you try to, simply out of habit or on reliance on past bad nutrition advice, you will undermine your efforts.

Not there yet, but as I get closer, I have much more flexibility. That being said, I use that flexibility to accommodate "eating situations" such as family gatherings. On regular days, I feel no urge to switch things up. I like not being controlled by hunger, so I'm not changing my approach.

Coffee is fine. Use heavy cream instead of milk.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Hola folks. Been dong keto since April 1st.

5'08

started at 196, down to 170. I've been hovering at 168-171 for the past month. What is the best way to re-kickstart so I start losing again?
I keep my carbs to under 25 a day, drink 2-4 liters of water a day.
Butter coffee in the morning of about 400cal /48g fat
Lunch usually a snack of 1/2 cup pecans  400cal / 40g fat 8carbs
Dinner is whatever recipe I decide to cook,
last night was this sun dried tomato creamy chicken
Ate about half the sauce and 1 large chicken breast and sauteed a zucchini in 2 tb butter and some garlic, rough count after doing the math is
1080cal / 86g fat (minus whatever butter left from in pan of zucchini) and 10 carbs

Day totals:
1800 calories / 174g fat / 18carbs

That's a pretty normal day. Did I break my fat burning shit?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By cccpNyC:

5'08

started at 196, down to 170. I've been hovering at 168-171 for the past month. What is the best way to re-kickstart so I start losing again?
Ate about half the sauce and 1 large chicken breast and sauteed a zucchini in 2 tb butter and some garlic, rough count after doing the math is
1080cal / 86g fat (minus whatever butter left from in pan of zucchini) and 10 carbs

Day totals:

View Quote
I would try a 2-3 day water only fast to kick start the fat loss again. 
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By cccpNyC:

5'08

Day totals:

View Quote
170 is a fairly healthy weight. Figuring out body fat % might help you have a better understanding of where you sit and what your goals should be. If i were you i'd transition to strength training and eating a lot more to build lean muscle mass.

This kind of answers the question another poster had about achieving maintenance weight. A good bit more protein and calories with lifting heavy things. Lift heavier each workout and eat the 3k cals to recover properly for 3-4 weeks then take a week to deload and cut and then repeat.

I think if you are at a healthy weight and exercising hard you can afford a few more cheats as well. Not 300 grams of carbs a day but a dessert or 2 a week or some sweet potatoes or whatever will probably help the exercising a bit.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#42]
I stumbled on this awesome video today.

Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#43]
On my 8th week of keto and for some reason I started getting the keto rash...

Anyone else ever had this and how did you get rid of it.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By cdemarse:

Thanks.
View Quote
I'm seeing that this can be from acetone in your sweat. Shower more change your clothes more.
There are also a lot of common yeasts that can cause similar rashes which can be well controlled with shampoos that contain selenium sulfide like selsun blue.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Down to 210.9 from 221.1 on June 27th. Body Fat % has went from 32.7% to 30.5%.  I have strayed a little bit occasionally but for the most part doing ok. I think the biggest thing that helped me was cutting the 2 or 3 Sodas and sugary snacks out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:31:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Found this thread couple days ago and Im getting sold on the idea, been doing a lot of reading.

So its a low carb diet but not like the atkins. Would it be accurate to say this is a low carb paleo?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By cdemarse:

Thanks.
View Quote
Keto rash
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:37:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Found this thread couple days ago and Im getting sold on the idea, been doing a lot of reading.

So its a low carb diet but not like the atkins. Would it be accurate to say this is a low carb paleo?
View Quote
Not quite. Keto has emphasis on the fat portion and less on the protein portion than paleo/primal. Also allow more full fat dairy such as cream cheese.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:38:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SparticleBrane] [#49]

View Quote
Paleo and keto are very similar.  Paleo (and there are *many* different styles/versions) might 'allow' slightly more carbs (sweet potatoes, for example) but other than that they're almost the same except for 1 thing: paleo seems much more concerned about the quality of the food and where it came from (i.e.: paleo would prefer you to eat wild-caught alaska sockeye salmon, grass-fed beef, or free-range chickens for eggs). Keto doesn't seem to care from what I can tell.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:55:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:

Paleo and keto are very similar.  Paleo (and there are *many* different styles/versions) might 'allow' slightly more carbs (sweet potatoes, for example) but other than that they're almost the same except for 1 thing: paleo seems much more concerned about the quality of the food and where it came from (i.e.: paleo would prefer you to eat wild-caught alaska sockeye salmon, grass-fed beef, or free-range chickens for eggs). Keto doesn't seem to care from what I can tell.
View Quote
In a broad sense keto is simply getting most of your calories from fat. I think if you are trying to be more healthy by eating keto it's stupid to ignore the benefits of high quality fat considering that is the majority of your diet in keto. Things like grass fed beef and wild salmon offer a much better omega 3 ratio and also contain some of the only healthy trans fats. Free range chicken is also better for those reasons if they are actually eating forage and not just have access to the outdoors, that's all that's really required for a free range label.
Page / 349
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top