Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/28/2016 3:23:57 PM EDT
So I have the "want another gun itch" again and I've decided to go after a pre 1997 Taurus PT101AF. Their version of a Beretta 92FS chambered in .40 S&W and has adjustable target sights. The Pre 1997 guns have better quality during manufacturing.

Pre-97 Gun made on original Beretta tooling.

Current Production Gun

Notice the difference. I don't want a rail, finger bumps, decocker, MIM parts, and shitty slide serrations.

Anyways..... I remember when you could get any Taurus PT92/100 series pistol for easily under $300 used. Now they're all $450+. Seriously.... a used Taurus pistol in a cartridge no one wants goes for over $450!

Hell, then I decided to go look at used ban era ARs. Nothing fancy. Just a fixed carr handle Colt or Bushmaster carbine or rifle. I remember those were cheap since no one wanted a ban era rifle and especiallysomething with a fixed carry handle.

So much for that. They're ridiculously expensive and I've now learned that a Colt SP1 rifleor Carbine is worth more if parted out than whole since all the retro builders are gutting them for period parts.

Sweet Jesus.....

WTF is up with folks these day? Is quality guns just nonexistent anymore and folks are buying shit from yesteryear or is it the panics over Obama's two terms have simply driven the prices all nuts like Cash for Clunkers did to the used auto market?

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#1]
You can get a nice berretta 96 for a bit over 300.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought only newbies buy Taurus semi auto pistols.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a Beretta Elite II 96G Brigader. I paid $250-$300 for it a while back.

The older Taurus guns were well made on Beretta tooling by Beretta trained employees. Also I like the idea of a frame mounted safety for shits and giggles variety.

The current production guns are

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Would rather have a Beretta...
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to have fun trading guns and selling on several guntrader sites pre-Sandy Hook it seems.

Went full retard after that locally,  it used to be I'd get good deals and pass it on to the next guy for a good deal etc..wasn't about trying to make all your money back plus profit..
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine was made in 88.  Great quality.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Try pricing a Savage model 24.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

Taurus in the late 80s and early to mid 90s made some damn good 92 series guns. It was all still Beretta tooling and Beretta trained employees.

Remember, Beretta had a contract with the Brazilian Government. Part of the deal was to build a plant and hre Brazilians. Beretta did. When the contract ended. They decided to sell the tooling, plans, and employees to a Brazilian company. Bangor Punta, then the owner of Taurus bought the plant. They also owned S&W at the time. Bangor Punta was part of Mr. Lear's corporate empire. (Yes, Mr. LearJet)

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#9]
You paid $450 for that rusted out POS?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#10]
You need to clean out your inbox, JBT
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I used to have fun trading guns and selling on several guntrader sites pre-Sandy Hook it seems.

Went full retard after that locally,  it used to be I'd get good deals and pass it on to the next guy for a good deal etc..wasn't about trying to make all your money back plus profit..
View Quote
Yeah, I've horse traded and had fun. If I sold.it was to recoup what I invested in it. Which 9 out of 10 times wasn't a lot since I usually got some great deals. But damn.... shit has been going nuts.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You paid $450 for that rusted out POS?
View Quote
I haven't bought anything..... I was looking for one and noticed the insanity in prices.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#13]
people realized they were well built, so they keep em.  

I picked up one of the taurus 1911's in 38 super when CDNN was dumping them for $320, because $320.  Never thought it would be worth more than that (still isn't worth THAT much more )
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Prices are lower today than ever before.      Think it's crazy now?    Check back, in November.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You need to clean out your inbox, JBT
View Quote
Shoot me an IM. Cleaned it up.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/EKQUbIN.jpg
The older Taurus guns were well made on Beretta tooling by Beretta trained employees. Also I like the idea of a frame mounted safety for shits and giggles variety.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/EKQUbIN.jpg

Yeah, but it's still a 40.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Prices are lower today than ever before.      Think it's crazy now?    Check back, in November.
View Quote
Yep, I'm making purchases for the next 2 years.  Wish optics were cheaper.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Taurus in the late 80s and early to mid 90s made some damn good 92 series guns. It was all still Beretta tooling and Beretta trained employees.

Remember, Beretta had a contract with the Brazilian Government. Part of the deal was to build a plant and hre Brazilians. Beretta did. When the contract ended. They decided to sell the tooling, plans, and employees to a Brazilian company. Bangor Punta, then the owner of Taurus bought the plant. They also owned S&W at the time. Bangor Punta was part of Mr. Lear's corporate empire. (Yes, Mr. LearJet)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, my EDC is an early 90s PT99AF. I loved my PT92C, scored well in a lot of IDPA matches with it, but it was stolen out of my vehicle years ago. I'd go to $425 for a Beretta tooled Taurus; above that I'd look for a Gen III Smith 9mm.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#19]
yeah, insane, just don't try to sell a gun.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Want a shock? Go look at USGI 1911's and 1911A1's.

Then go look at all the older S&W revolvers that used to go for $150-$200.

After that, go look at  Colt revolvers and such.

There is very little of the above that I bought in the past that hasn't doubled, tripled, or more in price.

Had an early PT99, I have nothing but good to say about it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back to the ARs, I bought 2 A2 20" Busmasters built in early 2000 for $1100 for the pair and just recently bought another 20" A2 Bushmaster complete upper for $425. The guy had it in the EE for weeks. All 3 rifles were like brand new no sign of wear on any of them. Deals are out there you just have to be patient and look.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#22]
The pre Sigma S&W semi-autos are also pretty stupidly priced these days.

When I was 16-18 I wanted a S&W 6906 but never bought one when I was 21+.

Now they are 500+
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

It is the Golden Age of automatic pistols.

Quit yer bellyaching other dude.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

There is very little of the above that I bought in the past that hasn't doubled, tripled, or more in price.

View Quote
Trust me.... I know about Colt and S&W Wheel Guns. Hell, even their 3rd Gens are rising in price.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yep, my EDC is an early 90s PT99AF. I loved my PT92C, scored well in a lot of IDPA matches with it, but it was stolen out of my vehicle years ago. I'd go to $425 for a Beretta tooled Taurus; above that I'd look for a Gen III Smith 9mm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a big 3rd Gen Smith fan. Love 'em

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I remember a handful of years ago paying $300-$400 for S&W revolvers of any caliber............NIB.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
yeah, insane, just don't try to sell a gun.
View Quote

I put a smith 5904 on FGT a few months ago for 450 with 3 factory mags.
Highest lowball offer I got was 350.. I just put it back in the safe until things pick up again.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I remember a handful of years ago paying $300-$400 for S&W revolvers of any caliber............NIB.
View Quote
This.  I should have bought more.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I snagged another 5906 for $279 to go with the pair of 5906TSW last week
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#30]
The only weapon I ever sold   was a pre 97- 9mm        what a piece of
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#31]
A local shop had them out the ass a couple years ago, some of them new/unissued Police trades.
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

A local shop had them out the ass a couple years ago, some of them new/unissued Police trades.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Those days are long gone.

I paid $200 for a University of Florida PD LE 92FS. Brand new in the box. No plastic parts, factory night sights, and three 15rd mags.

I also snagged a straight dust covered 92FS Centurion for $250 around the same time period. It was carried and had holster wear but it is a nice shooter.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was in the thick of it and got a ton of wheel guns are a cheap price. The early 2000s were the golden era of Revolver deals.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I usually watch local sites for guns that aren't selling and if they get reduced, pretty easy to tell when someone is hurting for cash. Usually can offer a bit less and come out with a good deal.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Old stuff>new stuff
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought that the finishes were nicer on the Taurus guns of the period than the Berettas.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Bought this one last year for $240 OTD.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
They're ridiculously expensive and I've now learned that a Colt SP1 rifleor Carbine is worth more if parted out than whole since all the retro builders are gutting them for period parts.

View Quote

I think the driving force behind them being broken up is the high price pre ban lowers are fetching, not necessarily the "retro parts"
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I thought that the finishes were nicer on the Taurus guns of the period than the Berettas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Beretta did that Bruninton finish (still does) and Taurus at the time actually blued their guns.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Trust me.... I know about Colt and S&W Wheel Guns. Hell, even their 3rd Gens are rising in price.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True dat. I saw a 457 in a pawn shop the other day for $370 and almost bought it just because.

As for the wheelguns, I've finally given up on replacing Dad's Model 15s (2" & 4") that were stolen when he passed.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I think the driving force behind them being broken up is the high price pre ban lowers are fetching, not necessarily the "retro parts"

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They're ridiculously expensive and I've now learned that a Colt SP1 rifleor Carbine is worth more if parted out than whole since all the retro builders are gutting them for period parts.

Only Massachusetts does Pre Ban guns now. So that market is drying up and the retro parts are the main cost now.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#42]
I went to a pawn shop a couple of months ago hoping to score something decent and saw they had a ban-era Bushmaster with an A2 stock, 16" barrel, and AK-74 style comp.  $1400. I literally laughed in the guy's face and walked out. Everything else had similarly outrageous price tags.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I Remember when a ice cold Coca Cola cost a nickel and the store keep would throw in a nice yellow onion for your lunch,for free.

Nice glass bottle too..  none f these space age polymers, no sir.

I'd tie that yellow onion to my belt and head off to my job down at the sawmill.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#45]
I strolled through the lgs this afternoon and they had a used Taurus .40 in the case for $349. But it just didn't excite me as I just don't shoot my S&W 4006 much and wasn't a 9mm. Only 9s I have are a P1 and a G19. I've always kinda wanted a full sized service 9 with the Taurus being towards the top of the list.

They also had a used SAR K2 with two extra mags $399. This is the Turkish CZ75 clone in .45 ACP.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Not too long ago I bought a 96D for my oldest son, $279 with free shipping. Great condition too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not too long ago I bought a 96D for my oldest son, $279 with free shipping. Great condition too.

For a DAO, the Beretta D Models have super smooth triggers.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Talking about stripping Colt SP1's for parts...I saw a excellent condition A1 set consisting of a A1 buttstock, A1 pistol grip, and A1 triangular handguards for sale on Gunbroker for........$399.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm not a Taurus fan, but in college we beat the fuck out of a Beretta clone and it kept on ticking.

For years, I could have got them for $250-300 at my LGS.

Now prices are tarded.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Now they are 500+
View Quote

Last year GT Distributors hadva bunch of s&w autos.  59xx, 69xx, etc.  Saw a few 645s for around $350, but everything else was sub-$300.  I snagged an early 6946 for $189 and a 5903 for $199.

They came from PR so they had never been cleaned and probably used to tune up a suspect two or twenty times
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Last year GT Distributors hadva bunch of s&w autos.  59xx, 69xx, etc.  Saw a few 645s for around $350, but everything else was sub-$300.  I snagged an early 6946 for $189 and a 5903 for $199.

They came from PR so they had never been cleaned and probably used to tune up a suspect two or twenty times
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Now they are 500+

It was claimed that some were PR Air NG.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top