Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Some animals?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Because they're not as good at the corruption game as their peers?

It's NY.

They probably didn't bribe the right lawmaker or council member.

The more of these you post, the more it reminds me of how Communist Poland was, just less fair and with less freedoms.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#3]
They voted for it. They clearly ok with requiring new guys to live in the city.  What's the problem?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's NY.

The more of these you post, the more it reminds me of how Communist Poland was, just less fair and with less freedoms.
View Quote

You didn't read the article . No bribe required, state law exempts them from residency requirements. They voted for it, wanted it in there.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:49:57 AM EDT
[#5]
So after 5 yrs they get to move outside the city?

Good jobs not easy to come by....were I young I'd be happy to have the job and if I had to have my wife and kids live outside the city....firemen get enough time off to make a commute...
get a post office box or a friends address..your time on you live in the station house anyway.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You didn't read the article . No bribe required, state law exempts them from residency requirements. They voted for it, wanted it in there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's NY.

I read it, but what kind of state law is that?

And they voted?

I vote in CO all the time, and they still pass these shit laws.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#7]
This is nothing new.

A lot of municipalities have residency requirements.

They essentially did a "this for that" in their contract. They allowed the requirement so they could get a pay raise and other benefits. The city bought off on it because it increases the tax base by having them live in the city.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Some NJ cities are trying this bullshit. (Not by contract)

They are gonna get spanked hard by the courts.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#9]
friend of mine was a police officer here, he put up with it for about 5yrs and moved south
they have since dropped residency requirements.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Chicago requires all of their city employees to live in the city.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#12]
First responders need to respond.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not from their homes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Its been that way for a long time in many NJ cities.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I know nothing about the Syracuse FD, my guess is the present/older guys threw the new guys under the bus figuring the other stuff they got, like rules that make it better for them to bang out on disability are worth it, and fuck the newbies they can live in a shit hole for five years.  
View Quote

That's nothing new.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Not from their homes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not from their homes.
Yes they do.

Its called "On call".
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's nothing new.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know nothing about the Syracuse FD, my guess is the present/older guys threw the new guys under the bus figuring the other stuff they got, like rules that make it better for them to bang out on disability are worth it, and fuck the newbies they can live in a shit hole for five years.  

That's nothing new.

Happens in every field.

Old fart doctors vote to exempt themselves from recertification.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And they voted?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's NY.

And they voted?

I mean the union members voted for the contract, requiring new hires to live in the city for 5 years.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not from their homes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not from their homes.

You do here if you get called back on a large fire or incident.  Happened many times to me when I was on shift.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's something new
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You do here if you get called back on a large fire or incident.  Happened many times to me when I was on shift.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not from their homes.

Yeah, for major incidents I can see.

But they're not responding to the level 1 alarm from their homes like the vollies do.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good jobs not easy to come by....were I young I'd be happy to have the job and if I had to have my wife and kids live outside the city....firemen get enough time off to make a commute...
get a post office box or a friends address..your time on you live in the station house anyway.

I lived in Syracuse my first year up here. It was a fucking nightmare. I moved into a new house out in the sticks a month before my lease was up. No job is worth living in that city.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Happens in every field.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's nothing new.

Happens in every field.

When we were in contract talks with the city they said they'd give us a raise but new hires would get their starting pay slashed to $25k. Our union basically said that wasn't our problem becuase they weren't part of the union yet and recruitment wasn't our job. The applicant pool dried up and the city was forced to raise the starting pay back up to where it was after awhile.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Firefighters agreed to the residency provision in return for wage increases and other favorable changes, Motondo said.

The new contract also gives firefighters more rights to present independent medical evidence in cases involving the city's liability for on-duty injuries, a change that was important to union members, Motondo said.

The union agreed to pay more for health insurance. Firefighter premiums will increase July 2016 to $100 a month for individuals and $200 for family coverage, from the current rate of $65 individual and $130 family. In July 2016, the rates will rise again to $115 and $230.

So they fucked over the new hires to pad their own pockets. The new hires will have less buying power with their money than the old guys.
View Quote

"Eating the unborn" as we call it.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Union brotherhood is strong, we stand united!

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's like that anywhere. Regardless of union vs non.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yeah faking an address turns into a shitstorm. I know someone who was caught doing that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah faking an address turns into a shitstorm. I know someone who was caught doing that

I know a bunch of guys who did it to get on FDNY.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So they fucked over the new hires to pad their own pockets. The new hires will have less buying power with their money than the old guys.
View Quote

We did the same thing back in '05.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Maybe they are under staffed  and need guys available for call backs.  Large working incidents might drain their manpower?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not from their homes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not from their homes.

Call backs.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my take on it as well.

Syr. PD had a contract that expired in 2015.  Now the city will push for the same residency requirement for new police recruits, and the veteran officers will throw them under the bus for a raise.  Of course they won't have an agreement for another year and a half, so the next class or so won't be affected.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Call backs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not from their homes.

Call backs.

10 or 12 times a year for me.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not from their homes.

Call backs.

I wonder about depts that do this, I have NEVER seen our local FD do a callback. Even when the city was ringed by almost a dozen brush fires at the same time,  they call in mutual aid instead.    They don't have the equipment to put everyone out there at once.

Also, it would interfere with all the 2nd jobs firefighters have.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Call backs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not from their homes.

Call backs.

We're not talking about vollies here.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I wonder about depts that do this, I have NEVER seen our local FD do a callback. Even when the city was ringed by almost a dozen brush fires at the same time,  they call in mutual aid instead.    They don't have the equipment to put everyone out there at once.

Also, it would interfere with all the 2nd jobs firefighters have.
View Quote

It's less common with larger departments and metro areas. Our issue is that we have about 60 structure fires a year and only 3 companies on duty, so a single fire ties up the whole platoon for the duration. Also the city is over 10 miles from the next closest jurisdiction with a staffed department, further to the actual stations that would respond for mutual aid so it's easier to just call guys back in to work for 4 hours.

The other hitch is that our hydrants do not use national standard thread, so a department responding into the city would need to use hose or adapters from our rigs, and we don't really have any to spare typically. Such fun
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not from their homes.

Call backs.

I'm not either.  Full time dept. do it also.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm not either.  Full time dept. do it also.
View Quote

Must be different in MI.

Doesn't happen here in NJ barring a major event.   Only reason why the cities are pushing it here is because they want a better tax base.

But they do it under the guise of "community!". Yawn.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's nothing new.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's nothing new.

They do that here too.  Of course I am now one of the old guys but I don't intend to throw anyone under a bus as I didn't like it when something similar happened to me.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:30:51 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, they did that to me when I was a teamster.

When it comes to money and benefits, the union motto is ,'As long as I get mine, fuck you!'

The rest of the time it's all about the brotherhood.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
When it comes to money and benefits, the union motto is ,'As long as I get mine, fuck you!'
The rest of the time it's all about the brotherhood.
View Quote

BMAIGM
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#44]
In NYC, cops and firemen have to live either in the city proper or half dozen nearby counties (in NYS), while sanitation MUST reside within the 5 boroughs.  (I believe the reason is for snow removal, which is also sanitation's job).

Meanwhile, EMS (which actually is now a part of the FDNY) can live out of state if they want.

Teachers?  I don't know, but fuck teachers anyway.  Bunch of libtard communist fucks they are.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#46]
They'd have to double our salary to afford the median home price here.  

And a great point by JIA, in these theoretical scenarios where you want people to respond en mass from home, what equipment do you see them using? We have to hustle to find enough patrol cars to run a shift sometimes, and the fire department doesn't have extra engines sitting in the back.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
They'd have to double our salary to afford the median home price here.  

And a great point by JIA, in these theoretical scenarios where you want people to respond en mass from home, what equipment do you see them using? We have to hustle to find enough patrol cars to run a shift sometimes, and the fire department doesn't have extra engines sitting in the back.
View Quote

Ha.  Yeah.

They bring it up at contract time. "Why don't more of the officers live in the township?"

"Cause you guys paying us 20% more isn't going to happen?"
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#48]
No one forces then to do the job.  Don't like it?  Don't work there.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No one forces then to do the job.  Don't like it?  Don't work there.
View Quote

Exactly, the people it effects aren't even on the job yet.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#50]
My father was a Boston Police officer. All city employees had to live in the city. I know police and firefighters could get "grandfathered out" after a set number of years but not sure if that applied to all city workers. Kinda sucked for a lot of them because the cost of living is high but city pay scales weren't. It was common for city employees to buy a rental property to have a Boston address and move out to the suburbs.

Police and firefighters mostly lived in West Roxbury because they could afford it. W. Roxbury is the closest you could get to living in a suburb within city limits.

The rest were stuck in poor and lower middle class neighborhoods until they could get "grandfathered" out of the city. Shitty situation for a lot of them. Their choice though, they wanted city jobs.

Mayor "Mumbles" Menino hatched a scheme to catch city employees who moved out of Boston without his permission. He sent address cards out to every city employee stating the city was trying to upgrade its records so needed current addresses. The residency law wasn't really enforced, it was openly tolerated so most employees didn't think anything of it. They put their real addresses on the cards. They were all fired.

Here in CA there was a battle to allow police officers to leave the state because of the high cost of living. A lot of them wanted to move to Nevada. As far as I know all their efforts have been squashed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top