Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 5/27/2016 7:39:56 PM EDT
Both are from the most advanced period of their respective ages.

They have the best evolution of arms, armor and their respective martial arts training.

They are armed with whatever you think is the apex weapon of their respective fighting disciplines.

No bows, crossbows, gunpowder or other missile weapons.

They are on foot, one on one.

Who wins?

My opinion?

Knight in plate with two handed sword makes mincemeat of any Samurai, including Musashi.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Knight will fuck up the samurai.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Knight
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#3]
By almost* every possible criteria the knight wins.

* Samurai wins if it's trial by poetry recitation or hot beverage preparation.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Knight with flail & shield could win. Two handed swords are too slow and require too much energy vs the faster samurai. The knight slow down inside of 5 minutes enough for the samurai to find a critical opening in the armor.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#5]
A man in full plate armor is practically invincible against someone with just a sword, especially a sword primarily for cutting.

A knight with a poleaxe can fuck up a man in lamellar armor and mail like a Samurai, easy.  At the time you're thinking of, swords were backup weapons for Western European knights.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Katana is just going to piss off a Crusader.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd like to think I'd give the edge to Samurai, simply because of their speed of attack and they could get the edge of their sword into spaces in the armor. But, if the knight lands a blow with a claymore or broadsword; yeah, it's Samurai Sushi for the King's feast tonight.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Knight with flail & shield could win. Two handed swords are too slow and require too much energy vs the faster samurai. The knight slow down inside of 5 minutes enough for the samurai to find a critical opening in the armor.
View Quote
No, they aren't.

Also, Katana are two handed swords.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Parry son.  Two handed sword would break just about any Japanese blade, IMO.

The handle is a club.

Watch the recreations done at the War Museum at Leeds.  Quick and close.  The 2HS is more a sharp bo staff than hacking sword.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'd like to think I'd give the edge to Samurai, simply because of their speed of attack and they could get the edge of their sword into spaces in the armor. But, if the knight lands a blow with a claymore or broadsword; yeah, it's Samurai Sushi for the King's feast tonight.

View Quote

A knight in well made and properly fitted plate armor isn't as slow lumbering as Hollywood would have you believe, they were plenty fast enough while fully armed and armored.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Thinking samurai might find weakness/sweet spot in armor.  Speed vs weight of armor.........I like gladiator fights
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The handle is a club.

Watch the recreations done at the War Museum at Leeds.  Quick and close.  The 2HS is more a sharp bo staff than hacking sword.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The handle is a club.

Do you have a two handed sword? Have you swung one?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, I'm gonna say flail + shield (+dagger) should beat a samurai handily.
Flail is a great weapon against a swordsman, the problem is, it sucks against a polearm.

On that note, a samurai with a heavy polearm would have the best chances against a knight, but AFAIK they didn't use anything heavy. A greatsword (No-Dachi) would be the next best thing, then.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Knight would win against most samurai.  

I would like to point out that samurai had weapons other than katana, some of which would be somewhat effective against even heavy armor.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The handle is a club.

It ain't a baseball bat.

And no, I don't have one.

And no, they didn't swing them like cricket wickets or hurling sticks.  They had "ready" and "rest" positions.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I would like to point out that samurai had weapons other than katana, some of which would be somewhat effective against even heavy armor.
View Quote

Yeah, they were big believers in pole arms especially.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yari:
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thinking samurai might find weakness/sweet spot in armor.  Speed vs weight of armor.........I like gladiator fights
View Quote

Me too, but I'm just a hack.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Medieval European swords, even the big bastard swords, were fairly light. A knight's broadsword typically weighed between 2.5 and 3 pounds, and was made for both cutting and piercing attacks against plate armor. The samurai slashy slashy curved sword was designed for cutting attacks, and they had boiled leather lobster plates for armor. That doesn't even get into the impact weapons, like the mace or flail or war hammer. Or polearms.

The Knight quite simply owns the Samurai.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Knight wins.

The Japanese never really got past the "Jesus, everyone's a tin can, better move away from slashing weapons."  There's only a handful (typographically speaking) of bludgeon weapons.

Europeans spent hundreds of years making weapons with multiple purposes, many of which were to defeat armor.  Japanese armor design also leaves more open areas.

Knight with a pollaxe wins.  Sword as backup.

As a side note, there's a huge auction coming up with some original polearms.  Might need to buy more.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#23]
In before the ARFCOM weebos?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So were Europeans.  That's why plate armor even exists.  Mail is armor against swords, plate is designed to stop everything else.  European polearms in the late middle ages were designed around knocking armored men off their feet to be more easily dispatched.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:07:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It ain't a baseball bat.

And no, they didn't swing them like cricket wickets or hurling sticks.  They had "ready" and "rest" positions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The handle is a club.

It ain't a baseball bat.

I have a legit hand-and-a-half sword. A two hander is another 2-5 lbs depending on length and material. I'd bet you couldn't hit me with either in 20 tries.

The medieval knight was fearsome against unarmored opponents on foot, and against anything while mounted (the equivalent of a killdozer). Against other knights, who were equally encumbered, most injuries and deaths were due to broken bones and internal injuries. Against someone with equal or better sword skill and speed/mobility, they lose nearly every fight.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Another modern approximation of the two fighting styles against each other.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Medieval European swords, even the big bastard swords, were fairly light. A knight's broadsword typically weighed between 2.5 and 3 pounds, and was made for both cutting and piercing attacks against plate armor. The samurai slashy slashy curved sword was designed for cutting attacks, and they had boiled leather lobster plates for armor. That doesn't even get into the impact weapons, like the mace or flail or war hammer. Or polearms.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they were not.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Depends on the knight, depends on the samurai.

For the most part, size, strength and metal armor rule, so knight.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's called "lamellar" armor, and the Japs often combined it with mail.  It's decent protection, but would have too many gaps to use against someone trained to attack those gaps right off, like European soldiers in the late middle ages.  The Samurai would have a chance, but not much of one.

Attacking armor is a dumb idea, no matter what it's made of.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Knight with mace/warhammer and shield wins IMHO.  Close combat was the knight's specialty.  The samurai were more horse archers.  Put them on horses across the field and I change my opinion.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

No, they were not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, they were not.
An average rapier weighs the same as an average medieval longsword.   You don't think a rapier is a heavy, unweildy weapon, do you?

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
An average rapier weighs the same as an average medieval longsword.   You don't think a rapier is a heavy, unweildy weapon, do you?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they were not.

I don't even know where to start. That's like saying a F250 and a Ferrari weigh the same, and therefore the truck has nimble handling.

ETA - just so we're clear, you DO realize a long sword has roughly 2-3 times as much steel in it as a rapier. Right?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Knight with mace/warhammer and shield wins IMHO.  Close combat was the knight's specialty.  The samurai were more horse archers.  Put them on horses across the field and I change my opinion.  
View Quote

English Longbow > Jap bow on the ground

Ground vs mounted? Longbow wins because distance

Just sayin'
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
thier sword is made for slashing,,not too good against armor

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:24:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I have a legit hand-and-a-half sword. A two hander is another 2-5 lbs depending on length and material. I'd bet you couldn't hit me with either in 20 tries.

The medieval knight was fearsome against unarmored opponents on foot, and against anything while mounted (the equivalent of a killdozer). Against other knights, who were equally encumbered, most injuries and deaths were due to broken bones and internal injuries. Against someone with equal or better sword skill and speed/mobility, they lose nearly every fight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The handle is a club.

It ain't a baseball bat.

A legit "zweihander" type sword was never a knightly weapon.  They were used by very lightly armored men intermixed in pike blocks at the beginning of the gunpowder age.  Your "hand-and-a-half sword" is a longsword, which is the typical knightly sword from the late middle ages.  It's commonly called a "two handed sword" by people who don't specialize in semantics.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Just sayin'
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sayin'

On foot, yes. Mounted, Japanese > English.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kicks ass against unarmored peasants though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I don't even know where to start. That's like saying a F250 and a Ferrari weigh the same, and therefore the truck has nimble handling.

ETA - just so we're clear, you DO realize a long sword has roughly 2-3 times as much steel in it as a rapier. Right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, they were not.

Nope.  Go look it up.

ETA: Did it for you.  Took about one minute.

Longsword:

http://arms-n-armor.com/sword194.html

Weight: 2.6 lbs.

Rapier:

http://arms-n-armor.com/rapier164.html

Weight: 2.875 lbs.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:26:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sayin'

Combined arms, England wins again.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Knight hands down.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A legit "zweihander" type sword was never a knightly weapon.  They were used by very lightly armored men intermixed in pike blocks at the beginning of the gunpowder age.  Your "hand-and-a-half sword" is a longsword, which is the typical knightly sword from the late middle ages.  It's commonly called a "two handed sword" by people who don't specialize in semantics.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The handle is a club.

It ain't a baseball bat.

When he said "two handed" I assumed he meant something between mine and a claymore.

You could wield mine one handed if you're muscle bound gym brah....for a few minutes. It doesn't have real two handed reach, nor enough grip for a serious two handed torque.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Is the samurai Bruce Lee?

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Lol at the samurai worshipers.

Those guys were like the 120 lbs wet and 5 foot 2
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
Only in roll-playing games.

Two handed swords, you use the handle in such a way as to give leverage, making it a very very fast sword.

Also 'slow' due to armor? Nope.  Gothic plate, when properly adjusted for the wearer, distributes the weight evenly and is very fluid to move it.

Now, there it a whole gamut of 'samurai armor' from none to very heavy and extensive.  The heaviest is heavier than gothic plate. The style of shoulder spaulder and waist cussie limited freedom of movement to a higher degree than you see in gothic plate.

Samurai is toast.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#45]
i Always underestimated medievil platearmor (thought it made you completly immobile) unil i saw some of that combat reenactment they do here.

the Samurai armor would win on cool but would suck againts an opponent with plate armor.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote
Fair point.  A Tetsubo/Kanabo would be more effective vs gothic plate than a katana.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Just sayin'

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just sayin'

True, but the Longbow really wasn't a knight's weapon.  And it really isn't a fair comparison because the Japanese bow was designed for use on horseback.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#48]
mobility
wins
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yari:

http://www.sharecg.com/images/medium/64961.jpg%3C/a%3E%3C/div%3E%3Cdiv%20class=

Umm....no.  While more effective than a katana, yari weren't developed for puncturing armor and would fear no better than a common spear.   Spears only became effective anti-knight weapons when they were very long and used in tight formation vs mounted knights.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#50]
You'd have to be fucking retarded to pick the Samurai.

Samurais aren't trained to fight armored opponents, and aside from that their weapons and techniques aren't suited for it.

Knight wins by a fucking mile.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top