Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/27/2016 9:27:01 AM EDT
Any tips? I know there's always foam cut to fit, but I would like it to look good if I can. Any other ideas? What has ARFCOM's machinist done to keep them from moving around in my box?

Here's what I'm working with, Brown&Sharpe 0"-6".

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Stencil them with different sized dick pics.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some of the guys in our shop have used this product: http://www.toollodge.com/

It saves time from having to cut your own foam. The main disadvantages are you can't do two layer foam to get two tone color and if you drop something heavy enough on the foam it will indent it. But it's a lot easier to just lay out your tools and press them in than cutting foam.
View Quote

Interesting.

I despise cutting foam.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#5]
This thread interests me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#6]
0-1 is usually just floating around where ever

rest of the set usually rides just as you show in your pic, or in the box they came with. Always in the tool box.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Any tips? I know there's always foam cut to fit, but I would like it to look good if I can. Any other ideas? What has ARFCOM's machinist done to keep them from moving around in my box?

Here's what I'm working with, Brown&Sharpe 0"-6".

<a href="http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/feedthatjones/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160527_082105_zpsb5n9mfoq.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o745/feedthatjones/Mobile%20Uploads/20160527_082105_zpsb5n9mfoq.jpg</a>
View Quote

OMG OCD METER IS PEGGED>>>>> ABORT>>>>> ABORT>>>

Line them all up smallest to largest, fill the remainder with other stuff.

Looks a little crowded... I keep my indicator stuffs and mic's in two separate drawers.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I do what you're doing there. What's wrong with that? They don't move around in the box.
View Quote

They bounce around when i move my box around. And i just want them alittle more secure. And my OCD likes an organized toolbox
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

rest of the set usually rides just as you show in your pic, or in the box they came with. Always in the tool box.
View Quote

I was taught to keep the 0-1" in your shirt pocket so its at a pretty constant temp.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was taught to keep the 0-1" in your shirt pocket so its at a pretty constant temp.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems like a good way to drop them...and i was thought that you want to insulate them from body heat, which is why alot have plastic on the frame.

Of coarse my sarcasim meter may need to be calibrated...
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#12]
And that tool lodge stuff looks pretty interesting might try that...
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#13]
A piece of UHMW that fits in the drawer, and a few minutes on the CNC.

Nothing sticks to or damages UHMW.  Easy to clean.  Just lay the tools out on the sheet & cut nests.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't need to have a compliant tool box, so i just lay them in a general spot.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Seems like a good way to drop them...and i was thought that you want to insulate them from body heat, which is why alot have plastic on the frame.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. My mic would be quickly rendered useless from hitting the floor. As for temperature... the temperature of the shop or pocket or drawer should be good enough for your mic. If the dimension is critical and thermal effects do apply, everything needs to soak in 68 deg temp for some time before calibration and measurment
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Organize? Ain't nobody got time fo dat.

Mine stay in their boxes or on the benches.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I keep mine in their individual cases, which fit pretty well in one drawer of my top chest.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty much the same for me. I have sets of shop mics at each machine, they all have cases but most of the time they are on the bench or being used. The inspection mics are always in the case. In my personal box I have inch and metric in their individual boxes in a drawer.

Personally I don't care for the foam products. Most of them will absorb and retain moisture or break down after being exposed to oils.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I have digital mitituyu ones in their original padded hard cases in a drawer
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This. My mic would be quickly rendered useless from hitting the floor. As for temperature... the temperature of the shop or pocket or drawer should be good enough for your mic. If the dimension is critical and thermal effects do apply, everything needs to soak in 68 deg temp for some time before calibration and measurment
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've carried micrometers in my shirt pocket for years and never dropped one because of it.  You basically are putting the micrometer at a constant 95 degrees or so.  

I will admit that its probably a hold over from non-climate controlled shops 100 years ago, but it still works, unless you're doing jumping jacks.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#21]
You need to post on GarageJournal.com not here. They are OCD about organization.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've carried micrometers in my shirt pocket for years and never dropped one because of it.  You basically are putting the micrometer at a constant 95 degrees or so.  

I will admit that its probably a hold over from non-climate controlled shops 100 years ago, but it still works, unless you're doing jumping jacks.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

are you going to keep the part you are measuring in your shirt pocket too?

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:15:27 PM EDT
[#23]
All of mine are in their original Starrett boxes.  Except for the ones
from WWII that I inherited from my Dad in his original box from Pearl.

"We keep them fit to fight"  
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Organize?

Oh, I run Swiss. I only need 0-1.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#27]
OP whats that a snap on box?
I worked in the toolmaking biz for a quite a few years, they laughed at anything less than a Kennedy or Gerstner box.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#28]
This, except mine has the old school purple felt liner.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:24:12 AM EDT
[#29]
I keep mine in the original Starrett cardboard boxes but without the lids on.  I've got the little boxes all wedged in the same drawer so they can't move around.  I don't ever remove the boxes from the drawer, they would get beat up too bad.  I tried to use that drawer liner stuff in the bottoms of my drawers like OP has, but I too found that tools will still move around on it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:29:40 AM EDT
[#30]
OP fail. Buy a proper Kennedy tool box and get back to us.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:30:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Of course, they're clean and in good order and all, but this.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:41:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I worked in the toolmaking biz for a quite a few years, they laughed at anything less than a Kennedy or Gerstner box.
View Quote

Way back when I was a noobie I was planning on buying a Gerstner chest.  After eyeballing them I just couldn't bring myself to drop the coin.  I looked at the Kennedy machinist chests and the drawers were so thin and small, some stuff I liked keeping in my top box just wouldn't fit.  I ended up buying a nice ball bearing Craftsman mechanics chest.  Has worked great for many years in various shops, with the exception of the casters.  I ended up putting a set of kennedy casters on it.  Have only ever had one person say anything about my bright red toolbox.  It was a boss who liked things neat and organized and wanted everyone to have the same color Kennedy toolbox, to the point that he would pay for half of it.  

Another nice benefit is I've never had trouble finding my box in a row of toolboxes.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:08:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

It is interesting how different peoples minds work.  I've only worked with 2 different people over the years whose toolbox and workspace always looked like a bomb had just gone off, that could turn out good quality work in a timely fashion.  One of them in particular it would take me a half hour to clean off the bench after he went home, but I was always just amazed at the work he did.  I learned a shit-load of stuff from him just trying to keep up.  

Personally I am pretty OCD.  I can pretty much close my eyes and reach out and grab anything I need.  Once I decide where I'm going to put something down, I always put it down in the same place, and if I do misplace something I just about have to stop what I'm doing and find it before my mind will let me move on.

I've also worked in several shops where we did 6S and it was amazing how much less time would get wasted looking for blueprints, inspection tools, tooling, etc...

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:31:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:51:05 AM EDT
[#35]
They sit in the measuring tool drawer left to right in order from smallest to largest. I have Harbor freight calipers (6, 12 and 8"), tape measures, multimeters and two wooden rulers.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:01:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Way back when I was a noobie I was planning on buying a Gerstner chest.  After eyeballing them I just couldn't bring myself to drop the coin.  I looked at the Kennedy machinist chests and the drawers were so thin and small, some stuff I liked keeping in my top box just wouldn't fit.  I ended up buying a nice ball bearing Craftsman mechanics chest.  Has worked great for many years in various shops, with the exception of the casters. I ended up putting a set of kennedy casters on it.  Have only ever had one person say anything about my bright red toolbox.  It was a boss who liked things neat and organized and wanted everyone to have the same color Kennedy toolbox, to the point that he would pay for half of it.  

Another nice benefit is I've never had trouble finding my box in a row of toolboxes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way back when I was a noobie I was planning on buying a Gerstner chest.  After eyeballing them I just couldn't bring myself to drop the coin.  I looked at the Kennedy machinist chests and the drawers were so thin and small, some stuff I liked keeping in my top box just wouldn't fit.  I ended up buying a nice ball bearing Craftsman mechanics chest.  Has worked great for many years in various shops, with the exception of the casters. I ended up putting a set of kennedy casters on it.  Have only ever had one person say anything about my bright red toolbox.  It was a boss who liked things neat and organized and wanted everyone to have the same color Kennedy toolbox, to the point that he would pay for half of it.  

Should have bought a Kennedy.

Mine has sat in my garage for over 10 years. It's 30 years old and works like new.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:00:13 AM EDT
[#37]
I have the original boxes they came in, but they are pretty beat up (i bought the mic's used off a guy at work). Ive thought about finding one of the wooden cases and keeping it in the side locker on my box, or machining a tray out of a nice piece of hardwood then lining with felt or something.

About boxes, i have never liked kennedy machinist boxes, i dont know why but just don't. Don't get me wrong they are very high quality, just not for me. If i was going to drop serious coin on a box it would be snap on or matco but i cant justify that kind of cost at this point in my life. Right now i have a Homak box, which is a little known and budget friendly brand. Ive been impressed so far in it considering i have just over 1k in the chest/locker combo from waiting for sales and specials on each piece.  So far so good with it but only time will tell, i have had it about 4 years now.

Heres a pic so yall can flame me over toolbox brand
Titty calender censored for CoC

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:10:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have the original boxes they came in, but they are pretty beat up (i bought the mic's used off a guy at work). Ive thought about finding one of the wooden cases and keeping it in the side locker on my box, or machining a tray out of a nice piece of hardwood then lining with felt or something.

About boxes, i have never liked kennedy machinist boxes, i dont know why but just don't. Don't get me wrong they are very high quality, just not for me. If i was going to drop serious coin on a box it would be snap on or matco but i cant justify that kind of cost at this point in my life. Right now i have a Homak box, which is a little known and budget friendly brand. Ive been impressed so far in it considering i have just over 1k in the chest/locker combo from waiting for sales and specials on each piece.  So far so good with it but only time will tell, i have had it about 4 years now.

<a href="http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/feedthatjones/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160528_072609_zpsyebp8vft.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o745/feedthatjones/Mobile%20Uploads/20160528_072609_zpsyebp8vft.jpg</a>
View Quote

What the fuck, dude? That's not a Kennedy box.

What the fuck?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:21:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What the fuck?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/feedthatjones/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160528_072609_zpsyebp8vft.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o745/feedthatjones/Mobile%20Uploads/20160528_072609_zpsyebp8vft.jpg</a>

What the fuck?

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#40]

No right angles....... and not enough space...... like nails on a chalkboard.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:11:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Just toss all of them in one drawer of your red toolbox.

Not a machinist nor is my toolbox red.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51-WMfqjdkL._SX342_.jpg

View Quote

Yep. My Mitutoyos are in something similar. It does take up a bunch of room though. You'd think a group of machinist's would come up with an awesome solution, like how wrenches overlap each other but at a much steeper angle.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It is interesting how different peoples minds work.  I've only worked with 2 different people over the years whose toolbox and workspace always looked like a bomb had just gone off, that could turn out good quality work in a timely fashion.  One of them in particular it would take me a half hour to clean off the bench after he went home, but I was always just amazed at the work he did.  I learned a shit-load of stuff from him just trying to keep up.  

Personally I am pretty OCD.  I can pretty much close my eyes and reach out and grab anything I need.  Once I decide where I'm going to put something down, I always put it down in the same place, and if I do misplace something I just about have to stop what I'm doing and find it before my mind will let me move on.

I've also worked in several shops where we did 6S and it was amazing how much less time would get wasted looking for blueprints, inspection tools, tooling, etc...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a happy medium.

My bench is laid out orderly. Parts are in rows (on the rare occasion there's more than one.), Tools are laid on shop rags and in an organized manner.

But, my angle pieces are in a drawer. Not neatly lined up. My parallels get all mixed up. Sometime when there's a cut running, they'll get re-organized. And all kinds of things like that.

I've seen guys who are the equivalent of the dude with every tool in his garage hung on peg board with an outline of the tool drawn. Every tool is spotless and perfectly placed. Box is furniture grade finish, waxed and polished.

Those guys spend more time futzing with their stuff than getting work done.

Same with a pipe smoker. My old boss refused to hire anyone who smoked a pipe cause they were constantly fucking around with it.

If I had employees, there would be a rule against smart phones being out on the clock. I see almost every guy in the shop fucking around on his phone. Yeah, you have a machine running. There's other shit that needs done and you're on my dime.

Probably a reason I don't have employees.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yep. My Mitutoyos are in something similar. It does take up a bunch of room though. You'd think a group of machinist's would come up with an awesome solution, like how wrenches overlap each other but at a much steeper angle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was looking at my wrench rails the other day and had the same thought.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The sole reason for the bulky wood box is to prevent excess humidity from rusting your tools.

This is why Gersterners were a thing back in the day.

But, yeah, it takes up a shitload of space.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the fuck?

I bet you have some Fowler mics hidden in one of those drawers, too. Don't ya?

Off brand travel mics?

Is your mighty mag even ground, bro? Do you even tooling ball, bro?

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The issue is you don't want them banging together or against anything else. Mics aren't exactly wrenches.....although I've seen some guys think they are some sort of C clamp.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
[I bet you have some Fowler mics hidden in one of those drawers, too. Don't ya?

Off brand travel mics?

View Quote

Fowler makes decent stuff for the money.

I do have Etalons, though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The sole reason for the bulky wood box is to prevent excess humidity from rusting your tools.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worked with a dude that had the nastiest, greasiest, most half-broken-ass Gerstner top box that ever existed. He was a hell of a tool maker, too. That top box was a fucking train wreck with drawers. It looked like one of those ebay auctions where old school precision tooling is just piled up on a pallet.

He used to have a Kennedy top box, but he has the dreaded rust fingers. He had to keep his mics in that Gerstner.

None of the tool makers would let him touch their stuff. "You need to get the hell out of here with your hands. You're not touching my stuff."

He caught shit for that almost daily. It sort of became the shop joke.

Every now and then he would pull a little plastic part out of his mess of a box and say "What's this? Do you know how I made this mold? Can you tell me what's unique about this mold? Think before you talk, junior. You only get one guess. I made this mold from a part drawing. Slide rules, junior. Nothing but slide rules and educated guesses."

That dude could make a surface grinder sing. He saved a few scrapped parts one afternoon. Holes were drilled in the wrong spot, it had the wrong draft angle, and another angle was cut wrong. He saved that piece, and wouldn't tell anyone how he did it. He kept the other tool makers guessing for weeks until they finally gave up.

The toolmakers were all butt hurt about it because they gave him shit, and the management did, too. When ever people came around to see how he was fixing it, he would throw a rag over the part and shoo them away like dogs.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Off brand travel mics?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the fuck?

Off brand travel mics?

If by off brand you mean Starrett, Mitutoyo, Brown&Sharpe, and Blake then yes...

And i don't have a mighty mag anymore, but my Noga bases are ground on the bottom...

Bro.

Edit: I did get my first fowler tool yesterday, 18" dial calipers.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top