Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/24/2016 2:10:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#1]
They could have some of ours...
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously...
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]
It's based on Northern California, which is at 100% levels.  There's still sever water restrictions in place including restricted watering, but don't tell my neighbors that

http://ww2.kqed.org/lowdown/2015/09/21/now-that-summers-over-what-do-californias-reservoirs-look-like-a-real-time-visualization/
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Fuck California.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Seriously...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously...

I've suggested an aqueduct from the East to AZ/NV.  Maybe we can get Mexico to build the wall and this aqueduct

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#7]
LOL drought.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Run them a 1/4 inch pipe.  As hard as California sucks, that should supply ample water.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#9]
welp, lake tahoe sure has a lot of water in right now then last summer.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#10]
All they need to do is spend a trillion on a nuke power plant and water desal plant on the coast and this problem would be over...
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#11]
We at the East coast can't get rid of water  .     I see a trans American water pipeline
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've suggested an aqueduct from the East to AZ/NV.  Maybe we can get Mexico to build the wall and this aqueduct

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously...

Man, you are a genius!
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Indeed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Ah government "things are good right now so lets just do whatever"

without the realization that bad times will return quickly
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, that's one way to eventually reduce the population in CA...
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

We at the East coast can't get rid of water  .     I see a trans American water pipeline
View Quote

The problem with that is that California would then feel more entitled to the water than the lands it fell on.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Lower Colorado and Lake Meade only supplies water to Southern California.  The majority of California (down to Ventura) is supplied through the canals, aqueducts, and rivers of the Central Valley Project.  It wouldn't make sense to limit water in the northern area supplied by the CVP, since the northern region can meet all water user demands and maintain temperature requirements for the fishies.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#19]
When I can walk around the B-29 let me know....
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#20]
The reason is so many from California are moving to Texas. Plenty of extra water now.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Was out at Hoover earlier this year. It was pretty fucking depressing.
Last time I was there as a kid, they almost had water tripping the spillways it was so high.

This time?  Hundreds and hundreds of feet low.  You could see parts of the lake bed that probably hadn't been exposed since the dam was filled.

Meanwhile Vegas had exponentially increased in size, go figure.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Did you catch the part where they are going to limit AZ and NV from getting water out of Lake Mead, but NOT California, the state that has zero say or input to Lake Mead to start with?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lower Colorado and Lake Meade only supplies water to Southern California.  The majority of California (down to Ventura) is supplied through the canals, aqueducts, and rivers of the Central Valley Project.  It wouldn't make sense to limit water in the northern area supplied by the CVP, since the northern region can meet all water user demands and maintain temperature requirements for the fishies.

Did you catch the part where they are going to limit AZ and NV from getting water out of Lake Mead, but NOT California, the state that has zero say or input to Lake Mead to start with?

The Lower Colorado supplies almost all of AZ, a portion of NV (including Las Vegas), and a portion of CA (including LA and San Diego).  Lake Meade is a Federal Reservoir managed under USBR Lower Colorado Region, so they have the authority to control the flows out of Lake Meade or any other USBR facilities within the region.  The states and local water authorities are customers and they can make requests and exert pressure on USBR, but they do not control the water.  USBR makes the call but they are limited by NEPA, ESA, and a whole bunch of other laws and agreements.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
LOL drought.
View Quote

Are you DKs troll account?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#24]
On a hunch, I'm going with "election year shenanigans" for $500 Alex.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#25]
The problem is antiquated water rights that were put in place when their impact really wasnt known.  Kind of like when the government followed Professor Cyrus Thomas and his "rain follows the plow" theory.  If the government had followed John Wesley Powells recomendations we probably wouldnt be having this issue.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I didn't realize Lake Mead was larger than the great lakes, as it's apparently the largest US water reservoir.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I didn't realize Lake Mead was larger than the great lakes, as it's apparently the largest US water reservoir.
View Quote
The Great Lakes are natural.  Depression era folks didn't have to build a dam to make them.  Glaciers did that.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

The Great Lakes aren't reservoirs.  Unless Paul Bunyan made them.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:00:57 PM EDT
[#29]
If only they had a coast line that was surrounded by 1,200 miles of water and DE-salination technology existed.... oh wait.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

No it isn't.  Not even close.

Lake mead is man made and is also 247 square miles.

Our great lake, Superior, is 31,700 square miles.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

If only they had a coast line that was surrounded by 1,200 miles of water and DE-salination technology existed.... oh wait.
View Quote
De-sal takes a lot of energy.

Too bad there wasn't a clean, abundant energy source that could be used to power de-sal either through electricity or heat from co-generation. *coughnuclear*
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Fuck Mulholland and FBHO
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#33]
How long before they try to seriously figure out a way to tap the great lakes, however impractical?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Well... when you convert a desert into a farmland/metropolis , things like this happen.

What is it? 1.2 Gallons of water per almond, 4.5 per walnut.. of course Michael Moore, that peice of shit Zuckerberg and the rest of the Ivory tower libs keep green lawns and pay the minor tickets if any...

Hey serfs... don't flush your toilets, if its yellow let it mellow man..

that aquifer is getting drained quickly too.

not my problem.  I can see Lake Michigan from my deck.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously...

I suggested this 35 years ago in my brilliance of youth. I was told it would take too long to build to make a difference.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL Fuck that, let them revert to their original desert environment.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Colorado Reaches the ocean

Whats up stream of the Gulf of California along the Colorado?  Lake Havasu which is 5 feet from being full (link).  Lake Powell which is above mead 100' from full.

I have no doubt that there are some drought issues but I don't think we are being told the entire story for a second.  I'd bet some enviro wacko's got all uppity so they drained some water to the river without accounting for drought conditions then when runoff season rolled on by without runoff they panicked.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#38]
It's a good thing that the illegal aliens in CA prefer to have dirt parking lots for broken down cars where their lawn should be or there would be a more severe water shortage.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Fuck California.
View Quote

...and you too, kind sir.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Been raining like crazy here so far this year.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The problem is antiquated water rights that were put in place when their impact really wasnt known.  Kind of like when the government followed Professor Cyrus Thomas and his "rain follows the plow" theory.  If the government had followed John Wesley Powells recomendations we probably wouldnt be having this issue.
View Quote

There's nothing wrong with water rights.  There's everything wrong with cities that are dollars from being bankrupt allowing development to occur so they get those impact fees while ignoring the fact that they don't have the resources to provide for those developments.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The Great Lakes are natural.  Depression era folks didn't have to build a dam to make them.  Glaciers did that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you didn't build that
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#43]
How about don't build a city in the middle of a fucking desert?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#44]
We need a viral hashtag or youtube challenge to fix this. Lets do another Ice Bucket Challenge or water bottle dump for change!
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Ah government "things are good right now so lets just do whatever"

without the realization that bad times will return quickly
View Quote
Sounds like the oil industry in TX...

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Was out at Hoover earlier this year. It was pretty fucking depressing. Last time I was there as a kid, they almost had water tripping the spillways it was so high.

This time?  Hundreds and hundreds of feet low.  You could see parts of the lake bed that probably hadn't been exposed since the dam was filled.
Meanwhile Vegas had exponentially increased in size, go figure.
View Quote

Vegas has literally nothing to do with it.  The entire state of Nevada only gets a ~2% allotment of water distributed from the Colorado river.  Vegas could disappear entirely and it would almost be meaningless to the water problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_River_Compact
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#47]
In other news Trump has requested permission from the Gov't of Ireland to build a seawall
to prevent his golf course from being flooded because of global warming.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#49]
It's in a spot that's really not meant to be lake. It's a man made lake. Some of the folks are hitting the alarm bell as if it's a lake that's been around for tens to hundreds of thousands of years.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

There's nothing wrong with water rights.  There's everything wrong with cities that are dollars from being bankrupt allowing development to occur so they get those impact fees while ignoring the fact that they don't have the resources to provide for those developments.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here in Az only about 25% of the water is used by municipalities.  Over 70% is agriculture.  So I dont know what you are talking about.  I suspect neither do you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top