Quoted:

So about $113 / sq. foot.  Thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
give you an idea...

i wanted to add a master bedroom above our garage.  house is a 2100sf ranch.  

addition would have been about 25x30.  rough cost was $85k.  

So about $113 / sq. foot.  Thanks.

Add 87% for California premium.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
My sister just did it to her place on Lon Island NY, cost about 85k with my brother in law doing the sheetrock, electric and floors.. The real kicker is the town decided after the work was done that the cesspool isn't big enough for the new larger house, still three people living there and no new bathrooms but yea they're gonna have to plunk down how ever much that's going to cost.  their taxes will go up a good bit as well.

So check that out before you do anything too...
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know there are some places in California where they will allow lavish remodels but are quite strict when it comes to new construction.  These locations have names like Malibu.  If that's where you're building, then just prepare your anus.  A rough guess would be twice the cost of new construction.  
View Quote

Well north of $100 sq/ft. My world is high end custom so I have no idea what more "pedestrian" housing remodel work costs.
I got quoted $75 sqft and that was a bro deal from one of the GCs I work with. For a garage.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of permits. Where I live, building permits are expensive and really difficult to get (unless you are friends with the little Iranian cabal that runs the building department, then they rubber stamp everything for you). People two blocks away (in the unincorporated areas) barely need permits for anything and everything pretty much gets done quickly and cheaply.

A builder friend of mine told me that he was north of $100k into a project before even breaking ground. Permits, environmental impact studies, coastal commission approval, etc. Brutal.

And yeah, we have a ton of "remodels" like that here in San Diego.
We call em "one wall" or "front door" remodels where they leave one wall (usually around the front door) standing and demo the rest of the house. Just barely enough to be considered a remodel.

Working on a house right now that they added a second floor, then a roof deck, then a stone floor and massive marble countertops to said roof deck.
The weight of the deck was pushing the second floor down onto the first floor and ballooning out the exterior walls of the house. They took the entire house down to the studs to fix that. Pretty house but still structurally a mess. Buried somewhere in the bones of the first floor is the footprint of the original house that was built in the 30s.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#4]
They say it is always cheaper to go up then out, but I guess like others have said that depends if your foundation can take it.
Remember you are just doing bedroom space and most likely a bath, so it is not going to reach your typical per sq' price of a new build

I would spend a few bucks hiring an engineer first, then if it can be done hire an architect.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#6]
with Ca codes? better think 350 to 800 PSF
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#7]
You really need to talk to an architect and an engineer. I will guarantee you will need an engineer.

If its on any kind of hillside regardless of how slight of grade it can be ridiculously over engineered. Over engineered = $$$$.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:37:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The way I'm picturing it is jacking up the house on the frost walls, and then blocking up the walls to add enough roof for another floor below it. Possibly digging out the crawl space to make some of that room.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My parents raised their ranch style house and added a full lower floor ...floor was 3 ft. below grade so the windows were above grade...far cheaper then redoing the roof I am sure....

I'd like to see some before and after pics please because that sounds awesome.

This.  I'm having trouble imagining it.

The way I'm picturing it is jacking up the house on the frost walls, and then blocking up the walls to add enough roof for another floor below it. Possibly digging out the crawl space to make some of that room.

I've seen it done and that's exactly what it is. They end up with a basement that's shallow enough to have full sized windows above grade. Sort of like a split level.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I once rented a home someone did this too.  The center of the house was 2"-3" lower than the ends of the house without the above addition.  Foundation was not shored up, and there was no wall strengthening done.  Doors wouldn't open or close properly.
View Quote

Sounds like my first house. They added a porch, them enclosed it to make more living space, then added a porch and enclosed it too, then added another porch again.

Nothing about that place was done right or even passably well. It was all done at a time when building codes were either unheard of or just a polite suggestion. Many days I'd leave for work hoping to return to the local fire department spraying water on the ashes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The block with hold... but whats under it? Ive been on concrete jobs were were dug out to bed rock and poured footers that were 20 feet deep, 30 feet wide, and 100s of feet long... best bet is to doze and start over, or expand out.. With out knowing the subgrade, or what the slab/footer is rated for your risking alot..
View Quote

Just talked to an architect who's a friend of the family and he told me basically the same thing
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well north of $100 sq/ft. My world is high end custom so I have no idea what more "pedestrian" housing remodel work costs.
I got quoted $75 sqft and that was a bro deal from one of the GCs I work with. For a garage.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of permits. Where I live, building permits are expensive and really difficult to get (unless you are friends with the little Iranian cabal that runs the building department, then they rubber stamp everything for you). People two blocks away (in the unincorporated areas) barely need permits for anything and everything pretty much gets done quickly and cheaply.

A builder friend of mine told me that he was north of $100k into a project before even breaking ground. Permits, environmental impact studies, coastal commission approval, etc. Brutal.

We call em "one wall" or "front door" remodels where they leave one wall (usually around the front door) standing and demo the rest of the house. Just barely enough to be considered a remodel.

Working on a house right now that they added a second floor, then a roof deck, then a stone floor and massive marble countertops to said roof deck.
The weight of the deck was pushing the second floor down onto the first floor and ballooning out the exterior walls of the house. They took the entire house down to the studs to fix that. Pretty house but still structurally a mess. Buried somewhere in the bones of the first floor is the footprint of the original house that was built in the 30s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know there are some places in California where they will allow lavish remodels but are quite strict when it comes to new construction.  These locations have names like Malibu.  If that's where you're building, then just prepare your anus.  A rough guess would be twice the cost of new construction.  

Noted...
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would spend a few bucks hiring an engineer first, then if it can be done hire an architect.
View Quote

Noted...
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
with Ca codes? better think 350 to 800 PSF
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No offense but you either didn't understand my post or you don't know much about engineered concrete structures.  IIRC you are a concrete guy right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy a new house.

This.

The foundation is not likely to support a second story.  

For guestimates start at $100/sq ft and go up.  

But buy a new house.

Seriously.

I make the same walls for a single story as I would for a two story. Concrete or block is pretty much standard in it's ridiculous compression strength.

That said, don't do it OP. Unless you get a guy that hates to make money, it's going to cost a pile.

No offense but you either didn't understand my post or you don't know much about engineered concrete structures.  IIRC you are a concrete guy right?

this may or may not be true. i helped finance (i loan money sometimes for construction projects) a reno of a 1 story house built in the 40's. a second story was added. additional foundation work had be done. I its my guess that if the house had been built in the last 10 to 20 years, depending on the foundation, that might be possible to add a 2nd story without additional foundation work. load bearing internal walls though might be a different story. in the end only an engineer can say for sure based on plans in hand. and you may not be allowed to based on local ordinances. my guess based on what you stated as the addition square footage in california, i would budget 200k.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#15]
To be clear, I said to start at 100.  That would be absolutely bare bones to inhabit here in FL.  I know a little about the codes in Cali as I've spent some time with my sisters builder out there.  Much of the earthquake hardware is very similar to what we do here for hurricanes.  (We engineer to 150).  I built a house for a former secretary at cost last year.  (She quit 2 weeks after we COd the place.  Bitch). Anyways, decent house, on pilings instead of concrete foundation granted, impact Windows, foam insulation, metal roof, I think we were about 115-120 sticks, bricks, and labor.

Custom stuff here starts at 250-300 and sky's the limit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Added 25x25 room off the back of our house 15 years ago. Kitchen mainly with small living room tv room.  Did most myself and still was 50k. Took a year to complete. Sucked fucking ass balls. Work 8-10 hrs at reg job and come home for another 6 hrs of work. Every day.
That being said. I noticed two homes that added another floor nearby me. We have full basements and foundations though
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Just talked to an architect who's a friend of the family and he told me basically the same thing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The block with hold... but whats under it? Ive been on concrete jobs were were dug out to bed rock and poured footers that were 20 feet deep, 30 feet wide, and 100s of feet long... best bet is to doze and start over, or expand out.. With out knowing the subgrade, or what the slab/footer is rated for your risking alot..

Good.. At the very least hire someone to look at it and give you a solid estimate.. Chances are the cost will make you consider other options. Honestly, if its a modern home its probably over built and "could" handle the load.. The only way to know for sure is going to cost some money, which may end up being all for nothing.. The old saying "its cheaper to go up, then out" may not apply here.... Do it right op, this is your home..
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:41:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not an engineer, but the standard 8-10" wall is pretty much all that gets installed around here. They hold up everything from ranches to 3 story houses.

Or you could just hire a geotechnical engineer to do a subsurface investigation for ~ $1,000 and know exactly what the soils under your house are like instead of just making an assumption.

Best bet would be to meet with some local builders, they'll be able to steer you in the right direction and give you realistic ballpark estimates as to $/sf based on certain levels of finish.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know how ca building is, but I do electric in about 20 2nd floor additions to ranchers per year.  It's extremely common here.

I am going back and forth between going out or up on my own house.  Houses here are about $190-220/sq ft sale price, where a second story addition will run you $150/sq finished assuming 1 bath, so in many cases it makes sense.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:51:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I cut open the top of a 6500 sqft home and went up with an additional 1080 sqft., then put on an additional 7500 on the main floor and 6000 for the lower floor. Total cost $4.8 million. It was the most miserable year and a half of my life.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Yep.

Done it.

1) House on basement, slab, crawl foundation...how deep is the footings, what size is the foundation/footing?

Have to know if the integrity of the base can support the additional loads...

2) Your basically building a 1200sqft house...since panel, water heater, HVAC will all have to be upgraded for code...

Septic or city sewer sanitation? If septic and adding a bathroom, local codes may require the field/tank to be larger.

3) don't have a clue about CA prices other than they are 120% higher than here.

If I were to ball park it today with MI prices....$120k-$150k.

Again...depending on a lot of factors (codes and existing structure) and what you want in the new area...bathrooms? Kitchenette? just bedrooms/kids play area?

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Buy a new house.
View Quote

I'm regretting not making this decision.  Don't forget about fun with Zoning variances.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#23]
In 2008 we added a 1,000 sf upstairs to our house, three bedrooms and a bath, and completely redid the kitchen for $100,000.
I helped a contractor buddy of mine do some of the work.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#24]
wow, so glad you posted this.  We are going to do the same thing.  pay no mind to the idiots that have more money than sense here.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#25]
more money than sense.   :)  
Quoted:
Buy a new house.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If it is possible, and it likely is not, it would still be cheaper to bulldoze and start over.
View Quote

what an ignorant comment!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

you don't know that.  OP should ask a pro to look at the foundation.

Noted, thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy a new house.

This.

The foundation is not likely to support a second story.  

For guestimates start at $100/sq ft and go up.  

But buy a new house.

Seriously.

you don't know that.  OP should ask a pro to look at the foundation.

Noted, thanks

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#28]
OK, done with this craziness.  Arfcom is FULL of people who have never driven a nail, and find it easier to take out a second mortgage and pay someone to do something an old timer could have done himself.  disgusting.  

Mind you a second story is not a DIY job, it can certainly be done.  There is a roof tear off involved, and praying for dry weather till it's dried in, but it can be done.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Doing an addition at grade start at $100 sq ft and go up depending on trim level.
To add vertical start at $125 sq ft.
Variables
Footing capacity
Plumbing line location relative to your new upstairs plumbing requirements
Duct work location relative to your new upstairs requirements
Trim level
If in California, seismic retrofit for upper level
Electrical capacity at your box - may not be a problem but it is an old house

Get a small house cheap enough and anything is possible.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My parents raised their ranch style house and added a full lower floor ...floor was 3 ft. below grade so the windows were above grade...far cheaper then redoing the roof I am sure....

I'd like to see some before and after pics please because that sounds awesome.

Jack the whole house up an extra story off the foundation, build another story underneath making sure to support all load bearing walls.  Probably limited to a mirror image of the original floor plan w/o some extensive and expensive re-engineering.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top