Quoted:

Too much protein converts to glucose.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think you were eating enough fat, and perhaps too many carbs.

I ate a god-awful-lot of baked chicken and fish and assumed the fat was zero because I wouldn't weigh portions.  I know the assumption was invalid.  I'm saying I probably went over 30g.  I would eat processed meats but only ones processed to have low fat.  I ate frozen and canned veggies because I was too lazy to cook.  

Too much protein converts to glucose.

Well, maybe it was the placebo effect.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
ot has been awhile since I researched this and I am no expert, but I recall gluconeogenesis was regulated by the body and research had shown that a certain amount can be converted it isn't always converted and no excess was shown on tested animals.

This is undoubtedly dated research, what are you basing your statement on?
View Quote

The science, and testing my blood glucose upwards of 20 times a day. And seeing it. And seeing the exact same reports from hundreds of others in a few keto and diabetes groups.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The science, and testing my blood glucose upwards of 20 times a day. And seeing it. And seeing the exact same reports from hundreds of others in a few keto and diabetes groups.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ot has been awhile since I researched this and I am no expert, but I recall gluconeogenesis was regulated by the body and research had shown that a certain amount can be converted it isn't always converted and no excess was shown on tested animals.

Well he cited "the science",..and uncontrolled, anecdotal "evidence".  Case...closed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:01:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you a good baseline to go off of though?

If I recall you were pre-diabetic and overweight. So there already be irreversible damage to the systems used to move and store various types of energy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Our metabolism is like a woman, it makes no sense.  The only way to tame it without going crazy is drugs

I went from 210 to 270 around 2008, then in 2013 back to 210 now back to 225.  Keeping my metabolism moving while weight training is hell.  I spent January-April 1st gorging myself to kick start my metabolism.  I'd literally eat until I couldn't anymore.  I expected the scale to skyrocket and it never did.  I only gained ten pounds, added visible muscle mass, and the ten pounds was lost last week.  People who truly understand how to manipulate their metabolism amaze me.
View Quote

(Not refering to SDMF)
What amazes me more is the ignorant people that dont have metabolic issues, who think everyone has the same metabolism  as them....
Durrr get off your ass and stop eating twinkies durrr.
Reading is for faggots durrrrrr
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Because putting shit into your body is a bad idea.   If you need to cheat,  you're eating wrong
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright then, explain why it is a bad idea.  

Because putting shit into your body is a bad idea.   If you need to cheat,  you're eating wrong

Or you are just eating right for you. You can obsess with always being clean if you want but cheating every now and then won't make a difference on your health. Everything is fine in moderation.

If cheating occasionally psychologically or physically helps you maintain your healthy eating it is worth doing.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well he cited "the science",..and uncontrolled, anecdotal "evidence".  Case...closed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glucogenisis isn't exactly something that can be denied.  Not by intelligent people anyway. And if it's throwing keto eaters out of ketosis, it reinforces the science.  Real science, not bro science.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If I recall you were pre-diabetic and overweight. So there already be irreversible damage to the systems used to move and store various types of energy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Type 2 diabetes is a disease of insulin resistance. And I wasn't pre, I was full blown.  I have no more insulin resistance, and my A1Cs are in the high 4s and low 5s.  Still does it. Just like it does to normal people.   Some people think it stops at the end of the "need". Others say it converts excess amounts beyond what's required for muscle preservation.  I've seen incident after incident of it going beyond.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

(Not refering to SDMF)
What amazes me more is the ignorant people that dont have metabolic issues, who think everyone has the same metabolism  as them....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Our metabolism is like a woman, it makes no sense.  The only way to tame it without going crazy is drugs

I went from 210 to 270 around 2008, then in 2013 back to 210 now back to 225.  Keeping my metabolism moving while weight training is hell.  I spent January-April 1st gorging myself to kick start my metabolism.  I'd literally eat until I couldn't anymore.  I expected the scale to skyrocket and it never did.  I only gained ten pounds, added visible muscle mass, and the ten pounds was lost last week.  People who truly understand how to manipulate their metabolism amaze me.

(Not refering to SDMF)

Well, regardless of your metabolism, just lying around on your ass and eating Twinkies is a losing battle if you want to keep fat off.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Or you are just eating right for you. You can obsess with always being clean if you want but cheating every now and then won't make a difference on your health. Everything is fine in moderation.

If cheating occasionally psychologically or physically helps you maintain your healthy eating it is worth doing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you need to cheat, you're eating the wrong shit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And even if you "taper off" to something that should be healthy and sustainable, the original "temporary fix" might have damaged your metabolism to the point that you are already set on a path to fatten up again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
*shrugs*

it's about making permanent, sustainable lifestyle changes.

It's why fad diets, or losing a whole bunch of weight all at once and then letting your workouts taper off don't work.

You can't just temporarily fix something if it's been long term broken.

And even if you "taper off" to something that should be healthy and sustainable, the original "temporary fix" might have damaged your metabolism to the point that you are already set on a path to fatten up again.

Explain to me in physiological terms how this happens.  Im genuinely curious.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you need to cheat, you're eating the wrong shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  You should be able to cheat everyday.  Not just once a week.  I'm on the soul crusher diet.  It's pretty simple.

If it had a face, a mother or a soul, it's on the menu.  And if your using 1 ply toilet paper, you're not on the soul crusher.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Glucogenisis isn't exactly something that can be denied.  Not by intelligent people anyway. And if it's throwing keto eaters out of ketosis, it reinforces the science.  Real science, not bro science.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't believe anyone is denying the existence.  I remember back when I looked into this there were studies that showed your liver regulated the conversion in healthy individuals and it did not matter how much excess protein you took in.

Now I obviously don't have any research journals at hand because it has been awhile and they would be dated regardless.  If you have any research articles you can show to dispute this, please do.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Common sense would seem to dictate that if your metabolism slows, you might just consider eating less.

Yes?
View Quote

common sense would dictate that losing as much as a pound per day isn't healthy and will shock the hell out of your body.

i could maybe see that kind of crash diet to drop the first 100 lbs or so but then you need a major adjustment eating a healthy number of calories and exercising at a sustainable level.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Type 2 diabetes is a disease of insulin resistance. And I wasn't pre, I was full blown.  I have no more insulin resistance, and my A1Cs are in the high 4s and low 5s.  Still does it. Just like it does to normal people.   Some people think it stops at the end of the "need". Others say it converts excess amounts beyond what's required for muscle preservation.  I've seen incident after incident of it going beyond.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So just out of curiosity then. If you went back on a balanced macro diet. Like 40/30/30, or even 30/40/30 you would have zero issues with needing insulin again?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#16]
How is having a more effecient metabolism a bad thing? "Damage"?

If anything it will make you live longer. Less oxidative stress.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well, regardless of your metabolism, just lying around on your ass and eating Twinkies is a losing battle if you want to keep fat off.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Not refering to SDMF)

I dont know anyone that does that, but I know a lot of people that are over weight.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think you understand what a cheat meal is.  It is an extra meal you add in during a cutting phase designed to replace glycogen levels and control leptin and ghrelin.  

I'm guessing you believe it is stuffing your face with birthday cake?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or you aren't.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Now I obviously don't have any research journals at hand because it has been awhile and they would be dated regardless.  If you have any research articles you can show to dispute this, please do.
View Quote

Everything I've found still debates it.  It really depends on your version of excess.  I've T1Ds  go to over 300 off a 20oz ribeye. To them, that's excessive,  and explainable by a semi non functional pancreas. Other people being thrown out of ketosis, is excessive to most people.  I can go from 85 up to 125 and back down to 85 off a 20 oz steak, but see no rise at all off a twelve.  So, yeah, anecdotal. But that's enough for me to keep my steals to about 12 oz
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#21]
No shit your body gets used to being fat.

Gotta maintian.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Not refering to SDMF)

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I don't deny GNG. Obviously, because I'm intelligent. But citing "science" without referencing an actual study is retarded...particularly, when in reply to someone referencing a study. One could find many studies that either state that the effect isn't as great as you suggest, or that the conversion is very random. When actual science presents contrasting views, people naturally seek scientific, not anecdotal, evidence of the conflicting statement.

Note: The debate on the validity of modern "scientific studies" is a completely separate issue.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So just out of curiosity then. If you went back on a balanced macro diet. Like 40/30/30, or even 30/40/30 you would have zero issues with needing insulin again?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never needed insulin.  And I don't think either of those are balanced diets. Even with my diabetes gone, I see far too many other health benefits with eating real, low carb, high fat food.  I can't eat sugar without my energy levels bottoming out.  I went 54 minutes straight on a structure fire saturday. 3 bottles, busting my ass. Not even sore today.   I could never do that when I carb loaded.  This is a better way of eating for me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't think you understand what a cheat meal is.  It is an extra meal you add in during a cutting phase designed to replace glycogen levels and control leptin and ghrelin.  

View Quote

Most guys I know do a burger and fries or huge plate of spaghetti.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Never needed insulin.  And I don't think either of those are balanced diets. Even with my diabetes gone, I see far too many other health benefits with eating real, low carb, high fat food.  I can't eat sugar without my energy levels bottoming out.  I went 54 minutes straight on a structure fire saturday. 3 bottles, busting my ass. Not even sore today.   I could never do that when I carb loaded.  This is a better way of eating for me.
View Quote

Just because you don't think they are, doesn't mean they aren't.

Carbs serve an important function, if they didn't then the agricultural revolution wouldn't have kickstarted modern civilization.

I realize that it works for you, but you are (were) diabetic. You basically ruined your body's ability to properly utilize carbs.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you oppose a cheat meal?  There is solid reasoning for them.  Fries I would avoid, but have no issue if others take them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#28]
It's fucking amazing HOW LITTLE we really know about nutrition.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Carbs serve an important function, if they didn't then the agricultural revolution wouldn't have kickstarted modern civilization.

I realize that it works for you, but you are (were) diabetic. You basically ruined your body's ability to properly utilize carbs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My body can use carbs as well as anyone's.  And the body doesn't require them.  The only glucose required by the body can be made by the body.   We're in ketosis in the womb, and breastfed babies are as well. It's perfectly natural to use dietary fat as a fuel source, and carbs to add body fat for the leaner winter time.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your high blood sugar readings may be gone, but your diabetes is not gone.

Also, "pre diabetes" is like pre pregnancy ........ you either are or you are not.

You can either metabolize carbs and maintain a "normal" blood glucose level, or you can't.

If you can't, you need to stop eating them and replace them with fats. (which is not a bad thing anyway)
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Why do you oppose a cheat meal?  There is solid reasoning for them.  Fries I would avoid, but have no issue if others take them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not opposed to it for others. For people doing certain diets, it's not a one day set back. It can be a setback of a few weeks.   If the desire exists, something is missing from the diet most of the time.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Also, "pre diabetes" is like pre pregnancy ........ you either are or you are not.

You can either metabolize carbs and maintain a "normal" blood glucose level, or you can't.

If you can't, you need to stop eating them and replace them with fats. (which is not a bad thing anyway)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have no more insulin resistance, and every marker is normal, then you don't have it anymore. T2 isn't T1.  For now, my markers are all gone. They'll come back. Every male in my family has t2d.  As far as pre diabetes goes, I don't know. I kind of agree with you. But it's a medical condition with standards.  But the standards were considered normal a few years ago. It's almost like someone makes money off the numbers of diabetics going up.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Fatties making excuses on why they are fat.

Want to lose weight, eat right and lift heavy shit. If you can lift it over 10 times increase the weight. Repeat often.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I'm not opposed to it for others. For people doing certain diets, it's not a one day set back. It can be a setback of a few weeks.   If the desire exists, something is missing from the diet most of the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a more reasonable reply than your absolutes earlier.  I'd say we probably agree on most things.

I currently have to be disciplined in eating the extra meal each week.  Currently it consists of two spinach enchiladas.  My goal is to get to below 10% body fat.  I'm at roughly 12% currently.  It is hard mentally for me to force that meal in, but my lifting is much better the next day even if it causes me to feel hungry.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#35]
They're looking at intestinal flora for the fatties as well.  Maybe there's a turd transplant in our future.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Want to lose weight, eat right and lift heavy shit. If you can lift it over 10 times increase the weight. Repeat often.
View Quote

Plenty of heavy lifting fatties at my gym.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Common sense would seem to dictate that if your metabolism slows, you might just consider eating less.

Yes?
View Quote

There is no common sense about any subject, especially anatomy and physiology.

Most Doctors don't have a good understanding of metabolic function, let alone nutrition.

There are things that we are barely on the verge of starting to discover about digestion, metabolism, nutrition, and bodily functions people assume are basic.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, very few cut up dudes at world's strongest man. They all seem a bit pudgy
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Most Doctors don't have a good understanding of metabolic function, let alone nutrition.

There are things that we are barely on the verge of starting to discover about digestion, metabolism, nutrition, and bodily functions people assume are basic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes?

And it's scary how little many docs know, that should know better.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.  I suppose you should be giving them advice on their nutrition?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Fat people need to be put into camps.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Eat less, move more.  Lift things up and put them down.  It's not rocket science.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you add muscle, your RMR goes up.  I'm curious how much muscle these people gained on the show vs. how much fat they burned.
View Quote

I'd be willing to bet they left the show with MUCH LESS lean body mass.  

The answer to this issue is crushing weights.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Fat people need to be put into camps.
View Quote

Then there would be a shit load more parking spots at the mall.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes

From the article:
"I'm not geared to say this is a good thing to do," he said. "I'm stuck in the middle. I guess that's the frustrating part. I can't give a concrete answer. There's not enough information to do that."

Other posters here are writing that we really don't know as much about biology as we think we do, which certainly seems to be the case.  I truly believe that anyone that is doling out concrete answers to non-trivial questions is either an idiot or a liar.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you even call what they do "nutrition". Those fat slobs just eat anything without any thought whatsoever.

They should reduce their protein intake. Eat more fat. Get lean.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

right over your head.  . .
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't lift my arms over my head.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#48]
If there's one important point we can all take away from this article and this thread is that fat people suck.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wendy's Jr. Baconator with chili instead of fries.

On paydays, once every other week.

I'm down 60 lbs since January 3rd. Low carbs and sugar, and 1500 calories a day, plus an hour of brisk walking every other day is what's working for me. I don't even get as hungry as I did on garbage food.

I started at 330, I'm at 270, and my doc says I should be 225, although 250 will make me pretty darned happy. Those of you who've seen my Facebook have seen the pic my son posted from 2011 when I was over 350. Getting the depression under control was the biggest hurdle. Without that happening there was no way I could even begin to start controlling my weight.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Can you even call what they do "nutrition". Those fat slobs just eat anything without any thought whatsoever.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely too much protein being converted to glucose!

I've done my best to stay out of this thread all day. I am just happy I wasn't drinking anything when I read your post. lol
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top