BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/2/2016 10:34:10 AM EDT
http://nyti.ms/1O9wvTd

After ‘The Biggest Loser,’ Their Bodies Fought to Regain Weight
Contestants lost hundreds of pounds during Season 8, but gained them back. A study
of their struggles helps explain why so many people fail to keep off the weight they lose.

It has to do with resting metabolism, which determines how many calories a person burns when at rest. When the show began, the contestants, though hugely overweight, had normal metabolisms for their size, meaning they were burning a normal number of calories for people of their weight. When it ended, their metabolisms had slowed radically and their bodies were not burning enough calories to maintain their thinner sizes.

Researchers knew that just about anyone who deliberately loses weight — even if they start at a normal weight or even underweight — will have a slower metabolism when the diet ends. So they were not surprised to see that “The Biggest Loser” contestants had slow metabolisms when the show ended.

What shocked the researchers was what happened next: As the years went by and the numbers on the scale climbed, the contestants’ metabolisms did not recover. They became even slower, and the pounds kept piling on. It was as if their bodies were intensifying their effort to pull the contestants back to their original weight.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#1]
There was another study recently, outside of one that only follows biggest loser contestants, that showed the body would adjust but it took up to one year for it to do so.

Conclusions I get from them tracking biggest loser contestants are that they were morbidly obese and not all of the contestants held true to their conclusions.  

What are some of them doing differently?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#2]
id say its got more to do with the fact, that they probably stopped exercising as much, and went back to eating crappy foods.

I'm 100% sure if they were still doing PT like a basic trainee and eating like Gandhi, they would still be skinny.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
id say its got more to do with the fact, that they probably stopped exercising as much, and went back to eating crappy foods.
View Quote

Know how I know you didn't read the article  (or even the excerpt I posted in the OP)?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Know how I know you didn't read the article  (or even the excerpt I posted in the OP)?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hey now, don't be stepping on muh feels, I can have a opinion on fat people.

I myself, I was fat, then I lost 30 lbs, by dieting and exercise... then I stopped exercising, and dieting, and surprisingly.... I got fat again.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I myself, I was fat, then I lost 30 lbs, by dieting and exercise... then I stopped exercising, and dieting, and surprisingly.... I got fat again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crazy how that works, right?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm 100% sure if they were still doing PT like a basic trainee and eating like Gandhi, they would still be skinny.
View Quote

Isn't that the problem?  Stop eating and the body stops burning -- your resting metabolism slows.  

If it is your full time job to lose weight, starvation and exercise work great.  Once the TV show is over and you are back to your daily routine, you're not going to be able to hit the gym for hours a day.  Now your body has adjusted to a deficit diet and is conserving every calorie it can.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#8]
But in the years since, more than 100 pounds have crept back onto his 5-foot-11 frame despite his best efforts.
View Quote

Well then, apparently his best efforts are total shit.

You can't do a crash fat burn like that and then expect to hold onto it. They don't really learn long term eating/exercise habits.

You need a lifestyle that is sustainable, physically and mentally, to stick with it.

I can hit the weights hard for a few months through the winter, and I get great results. As soon as work starts I crash hard and have to dial it way back to something that I can actually follow through with each week without burning out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Common sense would seem to dictate that if your metabolism slows, you might just consider eating less.

Yes?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#11]
If they would have changed their way of eating instead of dieting they wouldn't get fat again. Less than 50 carbs per day. It isn't that fucking difficult. That is how I eat. I'm 36. I lost 50 pounds 3 year ago. I weigh what I weighed when I was 17. I sit on my ass all day working from home. Anyone that argues it should try it. 30 days and you will never feel better.

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=231343
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Another issue is that when you get fat/obese, your fat cells multiply... and when you diet, the fat cells shrink, give up their stored fat etc... but they're still there. Having an impact on your metabolism etc. And they're all ready to fill back up at the drop of a hat.
View Quote

Outside of being massive that isn't really a problem. Even then, you can go from obese to reasonable, that adipose may still be there, but it loses a ton of volume.

Look at off season body builders, many of them routinely get up to 20% body fat and then manage to cut back down to 7-8% for competition time, so lean you can't find fat on them to look at them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Eat less, move more.  Lift things up and put them down.  It's not rocket science.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you add muscle, your RMR goes up.  I'm curious how much muscle these people gained on the show vs. how much fat they burned.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I hate fat people, especially the ones that eat themselves into type 2 diabetes and a ride on scooter

That being said I need to lose 25-30 lbs
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:07:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Eat less, move more.  Lift things up and put them down.  It's not rocket science.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you add muscle, your RMR goes up.  I'm curious how much muscle these people gained on the show vs. how much fat they burned.
View Quote

I would bet they gain very little muscle, the whole show is about extreme cutting. Calorie deficit and excessive exercise.

Their biggest concern is the scale, not the BF% like it should be.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I have been front seat to someone loosing a lot of weight, Biggest Loser kind of numbers.  They kept it off.

The key is one has to change the way they think about food.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If they would have changed their way of eating instead of dieting they wouldn't get fat again. Less than 50 carbs per day. It isn't that fucking difficult. That is how I eat. I'm 36. I lost 50 pounds 3 year ago. I weigh what I weighed when I was 17. I sit on my ass all day working from home. Anyone that argues it should try it. 30 days and you will never feel better.

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=231343
View Quote

I do 20, but yeah. I rarely make it to the gym, and when I do, I don't go nuts. The extra weight falls off
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Cycle your dieting habits. Diet a month, then eat normal a couple weeks, then repeat.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have been front seat to someone loosing a lot of weight, Biggest Loser kind of numbers.  They kept it off.

The key is one has to change the way they think about food.
View Quote

Yeo. It's fuel, nothing more. It can be enjoyable fuel, but primarily, it has to be seen as fuel.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#20]
get off your ass.  :shurg
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cycle your dieting habits. Diet a month, then eat normal a couple weeks, then repeat.
View Quote

Or don't diet at all. Adopt a new way of eating real food.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Common sense would seem to dictate that if your metabolism slows, you might just consider eating less.

Yes?
View Quote

Common sense as in most people are wrong most of the time, then yes. If you continue to reduce intake, the metabolism will continue to slow. You will go nutrient deficient and have a slew of other problems. The trick is to build lean body mass. Muscles require a lot of energy just to maintain, let alone use to lift heavy things. You have to eat lots of good things to build muscles and continue to eat a lot of those good things too maintain them/use them. The body is meant to be used. So use it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Crash dieting is a horrible idea.

It should take time to lose a significant amount of weight.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Crash dieting is a horrible idea.

It should take time to lose a significant amount of weight.
View Quote

In an ideal scenario it should take the same amount of time to lose it as it did to gain it. However, lots of people don't want to look a the 20 year long game for that. Hell, even losing it twice as fast should be reasonable. 20 years to get fat, 10 years to trim it down and not have floppy skin all over the place.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

Or cycle in cheat meals each week.  The only problem here is that the day after you do that you get incredibly hungry, or at least I do.  It really sucks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Cliff notes: Fat people are unsat slobs with zero willpower and dedication.

Eta: Burn more than you take in. It really is that simple.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Or cycle in cheat meals each week.  The only problem here is that the day after you do that you get incredibly hungry, or at least I do.  It really sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That may not be the worst plan ever, but it is definitely high up on the list.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Our metabolism is like a woman, it makes no sense.  The only way to tame it without going crazy is drugs

I went from 210 to 270 around 2008, then in 2013 back to 210 now back to 225.  Keeping my metabolism moving while weight training is hell.  I spent January-April 1st gorging myself to kick start my metabolism.  I'd literally eat until I couldn't anymore.  I expected the scale to skyrocket and it never did.  I only gained ten pounds, added visible muscle mass, and the ten pounds was lost last week.  People who truly understand how to manipulate their metabolism amaze me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Intermittent fasting is another solution. By eliminating a big chunk of the day in which you can eat it actually become kind of difficult to reach your calorie goal inside an 8 hour window. Provided you are eating reasonably clean anyway.

Doing 2000 calories a day was nearly as difficult with IF as doing over 3,000 a day was while bulking.

Easy with processed foods and junk, but difficult with homemade food.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Our metabolism is like a woman, it makes no sense.  The only way to tame it without going crazy is drugs

I went from 210 to 270 around 2008, then in 2013 back to 210 now back to 225.  Keeping my metabolism moving while weight training is hell.  I spent January-April 1st gorging myself to kick start my metabolism.  I'd literally eat until I couldn't anymore.  I expected the scale to skyrocket and it never did.  I only gained ten pounds, added visible muscle mass, and the ten pounds was lost last week.  People who truly understand how to manipulate their metabolism amaze me.
View Quote

10 lbs is nothing if you are over 200, a gallon of water is 8.

When you are lifting hard your body knows it, and you get way more hungry. You can't grow those muscles without feeding them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#31]
I've believed this, I guess intuitively, for about 25 years.  The most success I ever had in losing weight by diet alone included a Sunday-only binge.  The body must not be allowed to 'think' "Oh shit!  This fucker's starving!  Initiate Disaster Survival Directive #1."
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've believed this, I guess intuitively, for about 25 years.  The most success I ever had in losing weight by diet alone included a Sunday-only binge.  The body must not be allowed to 'think' "Oh shit!  This fucker's starving!  Initiate Disaster Survival Directive #1."
View Quote

Pretty easy to keep from making your body think it's starving. Eat the right real foods. Don't eat shit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Intermittent fasting is another solution. By eliminating a big chunk of the day in which you can eat it actually become kind of difficult to reach your calorie goal inside an 8 hour window. Provided you are eating reasonably clean anyway.

Doing 2000 calories a day was nearly as difficult with IF as doing over 3,000 a day was while bulking.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I do that as well for 6 days.  The 7th day is my no-lifting, no fasting, cheat meal day.  This is basically me eating a cheese burger outside of the window.  Boosts my energy and metabolism back up for the start of the new work out week, but leaves me incredibly hungry for a few days.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

When you are lifting hard your body knows it, and you get way more hungry. You can't grow those muscles without feeding them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, first two years of lifting I didn't diet at all and the fat melted.  Now?  Holy fuck what a battle.  At least I look huge
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seemed to have worked for me, but I was a lot younger.  I ate whatever I wanted so long as it didn't have added sugar and daily fat totals were 30g or less.  I binged on Sunday.  Interestingly though, my ability to binge on Sunday lessened as I lost weight.  When I'm fat, and within reason, I can eat large volume without getting ill.  When skinny, I can't.  I suspect it could have been fat content and not volume but I've not experimented with that.  

I don't think it's like stopping smoking or drinking where just one drink or smoke....
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Pretty easy to keep from making your body think it's starving. Eat the right real foods. Don't eat shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't argue.  I'm no dietician.  I'm just saying it seemed to work.  I very much leave room for the reality being more a Sunday reward for eating less fat in the week and keeping me mentally going-thing and not a metabolism trick-thing.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think it's nearly impossible for someone in the US to hit actual starvation mode. It is a thing, but you need to be be actually starving to achieve it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Seemed to have worked for me, but I was a lot younger.  I ate whatever I wanted so long as it didn't have added sugar and daily fat totals were 30g or less.  I binged on Sunday.  Interestingly though, my ability to binge on Sunday lessened as I lost weight.  When I'm fat, and within reason, I can eat large volume without getting ill.  When skinny, I can't.  I suspect it could have been fat content and not volume but I've not experimented with that.  

I don't think it's like stopping smoking or drinking where just one drink or smoke....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think you were eating enough fat, and perhaps too many carbs.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#39]
There was a study published a few weeks ago that showed if you can keep the weight off for a year, your body will reset to the new weight.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#40]
I know there is such thing as metabolic damage, where your body does adapt and use less calories to survive.  It can be triggered by extreme weight loss.  Your body just gets better at using less calories.  One reason why slow and steady weight loss is so much better than blowing off 50 pounds in a couple months.

ETA looks like johnwayne already nailed it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Fat people problems. Poor genetics
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yet a ton of weight lifters do it when cutting.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, and some also drink syrup out of coke fountains so they can 'safely' inject insulin. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Yeah, and some also drink syrup out of coke fountains so they can 'safely' inject insulin. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alright then, explain why it is a bad idea.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I know there is such thing as metabolic damage, where your body does adapt and use less calories to survive.  It can be triggered by extreme weight loss.  Your body just gets better at using less calories.  One reason why slow and steady weight loss is so much better than blowing off 50 pounds in a couple months.

ETA looks like johnwayne already nailed it.
View Quote

Just because one persons body is more efficient at using calories (and most likely also better at storing excess) doesn't exempt them from thermodynamics.

Regardless of the calorie source, if you eat below your TDEE for period of time, you are going to lose weight.

However, that doesn't mean you will be healthy while doing it if you ignore micro nutrients and a good macro balance.

The difference between someone with a fast metabolism and a slow metabolism in reality is maybe a half hour of cardio worth of calories every day. It can be compensated for with exercise, or by just not consuming that extra glass of full fat chocolate milk.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#47]
This is why I ride 3000+ miles a year on my bicycle.   If I didn't, i'd look like Triggly Puff instead of the sculpted Adonis I identify as.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Why do we call it "dieting" when it's really normal healthy eating?

Typical fatties  don't "eat normal", they "gorge like a fucking fatty".
A normal lunch isn't a monster meat pizza with a 2 liter of Pepsi...and making it a 2 liter of Diet Pepsi isn't gonna make you a skinny bitch.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is very hard to maintain muscle mass while losing weight much less add muscle mass. The way these shows force drastic weight loss a significant portion of that weight is going to come from muscle tissue which is why they don't need as many calories in the end. That and the fact that they aren't carrying around all of that fat with every step. If you lose a lot of weight, especially rapidly, it is a very good idea to focus on strength training during after.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top