Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#1]
-100 here at the office. I have a Samsung tablet at home that I use as a hotspot. I live out in BFE, so it's always an adventure trying to find the sweet spot in the house to locate the tablet for the strongest signal. This trick might help me do that easier - thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Try touching the dots to see if it switches back to numerals.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It goes away as soon as I unlock the phone

Try touching the dots to see if it switches back to numerals.

This worked for me. I can see either dots or the numerals.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm getting -68 to -82 in my work office, but that is probably the signal strength to the DAS (Distributed Antenna System) within our building.    -102 at home.  

Someone with a high IQ probably came up with the idea to use a high negative number and a lower negative number means a better signal strength.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Can I make an Android do this?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What phone are you using, and what carrier are you with?

The asterisks are absolutely necessary.  What happens on your screen when you push the Call button?
View Quote

iPhone 5, IOS 9.3, it dials the number.

"Verizon Wireless. The number you're trying to dial does not exist. Please check the number and try again."

I'm using both asterisks, exactly in the OP.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

"Verizon Wireless. The number you're trying to dial does not exist. Please check the number and try again."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What phone are you using, and what carrier are you with?

The asterisks are absolutely necessary.  What happens on your screen when you push the Call button?

Mine did that (same phone) once or twice. I had entered it incorrectly.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not sure what to tell you, I've never seen a phone it wouldn't work on.  Double double check you have entered all the digits in the proper order.

* 3 0 0 1 # 1 2 3 4 5 # *  

then press call.  It should immediately jump to Field Test Mode.  From here, hold down the power button on top until the Slide To Power Off appears.  Release the power button, do not slide it to off or hit the cancel button.  Press and hold down your Home button at the bottom of the screen until you return to your home screen.   That's all there is to do.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol, sure - go to play store, download Cell Signal Strength -dBm app

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#10]
-100 that sucks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#11]
-100 is not too bad a signal.  I'd say it's the equivalent to 2 or 3 bars out of 5.  The cutoff point for iPhones seems to be -130 before going to "No Service"   -50 is about the strongest signal you'll ever see, so you're in a very serviceable zone.

I just ran a speedtest on my iPhone 6s + with a signal strength of -117 and it was 17.63 Mbps download with a ping time of 56ms.  On my phone, anything below -114 is one bar.   This is on T-Mobile LTE.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Had it down (or up) to -64 today. Funny thing is I was in the middle of nowhere.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#13]
-114 at the house in a lifeproof case
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
-82 here, cool hack.  If you tap the number it switches back to dots, you can touch the dots again to switch back to db
View Quote

Very cool. -107 here in downtown Chicago.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

https://lh4.ggpht.com/SfGYBaFRvzTpF5JpPjjIBYs-Pf929rqyqp_1ax9vyquL48xiO1VzRhX5Ob_qg97_Dl2X=h900-rw

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://lh4.ggpht.com/SfGYBaFRvzTpF5JpPjjIBYs-Pf929rqyqp_1ax9vyquL48xiO1VzRhX5Ob_qg97_Dl2X=h900-rw

Perfect, thanks
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Works on iPhone 4s with iOS 8.01
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#22]
-120 in my garage , -85 on my drive way
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#23]
-92 here. Nifty
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#24]
-102 in the house.
Neat
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#25]
As an Android user I find this thread hilarious.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#26]
A few have wondered "What's The Point?",  here's my spin on why it's useful.

On my iPhone, the bars/dots display can only show 1-5 as an indication of signal strength.  The Dbm range is -50 to -130, therefore each dot represents 16 Dbm.  Consequently, 5 bars is -50 to -65. 4 bars is -66 to -81, etc.  I think most people would feel that 2-3 bars is a decent signal, and 1 bar is really crappy.  However, the signal difference between 1 bar at -115, and 2 bars at -114 is negligible.  

Having a signal meter that is the equivalent to 80 bars is the reason to enable this function.

A few years ago AT&T caught a little heat when it was revealed that they had boosted the readout and were showing 4 bars down to  -91 Dbm.  They corrected it, and immediately their signal strength tanked, although in reality it only affected the display, not the actual signal.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Because all we have to do is go to "About Device" and we can see our signal strength in dBm and asu
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#29]
LOL

So, you have to go into a menu to see it, while all we have to do is glance at our status bar which is constantly updating and giving a readout in real time?

Well alrighty then...
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#30]
3dB difference is half power. So for example if an antenna is putting +43dBm out (20W), +46dBm is 40W.

You guys getting -60 and -50 are in friggin hot areas. We have a microcell upstairs at work and have it set to -80dBm.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#31]
how do I turn this off?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
how do I turn this off?
View Quote

I believe you just dial the same string and then hit the home button, without powering off.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

For one, some people can't afford wifi internet so they tether their phone to all their devices. So finding the best signal makes life mo better if that's the case.  Anything else you need?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can someone explain why this matters?

For one, some people can't afford wifi internet so they tether their phone to all their devices. So finding the best signal makes life mo better if that's the case.  Anything else you need?

LoL

Thank you, OP.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Neat!
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Sweet. I'm rolling between 80-95. Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sweet. I'm rolling between 80-95. Thank you.
View Quote

No probs. Fwiw that Wilson booster that someone recommended is amazing for the truck. I used to have no service for miles on the way to the bug out property now I'm good to go the whole trip.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#39]
OP How do you get the seconds to display ??
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#40]
is there a way to have wifi read in live numbers rather than bars?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not the OP, however I did post a screen capture with seconds displayed.  This requires a JailBreak.  I did that when it was available for iOS 9.02, but the later versions have not been JailBroken.  There are a few different apps that allow for the Status Bar clock to be modified.  Military time, seconds, dual time zones, date, weather, etc. are some of the options.

Also:

"is there a way to have wifi read in live numbers rather than bars?"

There is, as seen in my screen capture on page 1.  It also requires a JailBreak unfortunately.  It has the same toggle capability to switch between a numeric Dbm and the crappy little fan that is standard.  There is actually a way to edit a file in iOS to make both of these changes, but that gets a little technical.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#42]
-102 behind bullet resistant glass. Not too bad.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
this worked for me
View Quote

Same, if phone is shut off do you have to do it all over?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I'm not the OP, however I did post a screen capture with seconds displayed.  This requires a JailBreak.  I did that when it was available for iOS 9.02, but the later versions have not been JailBroken.  There are a few different apps that allow for the Status Bar clock to be modified.  Military time, seconds, dual time zones, date, weather, etc. are some of the options.

Also:

There is, as seen in my screen capture on page 1.  It also requires a JailBreak unfortunately.  It has the same toggle capability to switch between a numeric Dbm and the crappy little fan that is standard.  There is actually a way to edit a file in iOS to make both of these changes, but that gets a little technical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Also:

Are the jail breaks safe ? I have my cc saved on my phone
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
this worked for me

No, it is retained until changed manually.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also:

There has never been any claim of JailBreaking affecting the security of the iOS system.  I've been JailBreaking since 2009, and keep up with cellular websites daily as a kind of hobby.  So, I'd say it's at least as safe as the stock iOS.  In some ways perhaps a little more secure.  There are apps that make the standard passcode system more secure for instance.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#47]
I got it.

Thank you
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Indeed it does!  Cool
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

-82 here, cool hack.  If you tap the number it switches back to dots, you can touch the dots again to switch back to db

Indeed it does!  Cool
That's what mine is doing.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#49]
-109 on the first floor of 2 story house. I will have to check upstairs and outside.

-100 upstairs

-92 front yard.

The cool thing is that it changes almost instantly when you walk outside. I thought it might gradually change but it went from -109 to -92 as soon as I stepped out the door.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top