Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#1]
So is Obama going to crucify this whistleblower to?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:13:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They don't.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How does one store 21 petabytes of data per day? Who builds those hard drives?

They don't.

They don't store any of the daily traffic or they don't store all of the daily traffic?

A general question...

Does a computer speech recognition program count as a human reviewing the data?

Does a computer pulling text data such as names and phone numbers out of an email or text message count as a human reviewing the data or would that be considered "metadata"?

I know what I would be doing with the data if I had access to it; parsing all of it, extracting key data as "metadata" to permanently store, and then storing any data containing flagged words or "metadata" that connects them to other people of interest.  All of that would be done without any human looking at the data.  I'm just wondering if their is any official statement as to what the government is doing?

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Good, choke on it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:30:38 AM EDT
[#4]
NSA never heard of the concept of garbage in-garbage out? Seen the online activities of most people under 30 to 40 in your circle of friends? Quantum Mega Super Computer isn't going to be able to tell the differences publicly know kinky sex habits of all kinds of couples online, from random asshole terrorist_01 saying the date, time, and location of a new 9/11.

I doubt the NSA really cares about stopping any attacks. These data banks just keep people on the road to government pensions.

They are literally trying to monitor something that is 98.9% naked people doing weird shit, and like 1% kitten and puppy pictures, and at msot 0.1% of legit badp eople saying how they are gonna kill us. /Sigh
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:38:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So, we USED to do that to defeat the Soviets. Now, we do it to spy on U.S. Citizens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is the first I have heard about them tapping in to the undersea fiber optic cables.

Way to much data, giving them way to much power.

They've been tapping cables for decades. I don't remember the codename for that program, but there were USN subs tasked to the mission with all the necessary equipment.

So, we USED to do that to defeat the Soviets. Now, we do it to spy on U.S. Citizens.

Exactly. Nixon was kicked out of office for spying on the DNC (who probably actually deserve it!). Bush / Obama spy on every single American and.....that's OK? Fuck that shit. There needs to be some software written that constantly slips key words and phrases into all communications...you know, jihad, nuclear bomb plans, all that shit, dispersed in random ways and with enough change that it's a pita to filter out. They are drowning in data? Time to pour another bucket of water in their face.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:46:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When did it become popular to assist our enemies?

View Quote

Governments spy on their enemies.

The more pertinent question, then, is "When did we citizens become the enemy?"
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:50:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not for long - I'm sure they are working on a way to autonomously sort all that data into something meaningful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Analysis has always been a chokepoint.

Not for long - I'm sure they are working on a way to autonomously sort all that data into something meaningful.

The backlog is a result of 3 things: the ability to electronically monitor all communications, the ability to store the resultant data, and the inability to collate and interpret that data. The backlog will be solved by the introduction of a capable artificial intelligence unit. And when that happens, the resultant output must still be interpreted by a human mind.

Woe to the  American citizen when the NSA totally relies on AI to interpret AND ACT ON all of this data!
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:57:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Let's send everyone we know a copy of the US Constitution. That way we'll know that the NSA has read it.

(Not an original sentiment.)
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:21:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They've been tapping the cables for decades.  Read Blind Man's Bluff (submarine warfare during the Cold War).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NSA is so overwhelmed with data, it's no longer effective, says whistleblower

One of the agency's first whistleblowers says the NSA is taking in too much data for it to handle, which can have disastrous -- if not deadly -- consequences.

Binney said that an analyst today can run one simple query across the NSA's various databases, only to become immediately overloaded with information. With about four billion people -- around two-thirds of the world's population -- under the NSA and partner agencies' watchful eyes, according to his estimates, there is too much data being collected.

"That's why they couldn't stop the Boston bombing, or the Paris shootings, because the data was all there," said Binney. Because the agency isn't carefully and methodically setting its tools up for smart data collection, that leaves analysts to search for a needle in a haystack.

Binney said the NSA is today not as interested in phone records -- such as who calls whom, when, and for how long. Although the Obama administration calls the program a "critical national security tool," the agency is increasingly looking at the content of communications, as the Snowden disclosures have shown.

Binney said he estimated that a "maximum" of 72 companies were participating in the bulk records collection program -- including Verizon, but said it was a drop in the ocean. He also called PRISM, the clandestine surveillance program that grabs data from nine named Silicon Valley giants, including Apple, Google, Facebook, and Microsoft, just a "minor part" of the data collection process.

"The Upstream program is where the vast bulk of the information was being collected," said Binney, talking about how the NSA tapped undersea fiber optic cables. With help from its British counterparts at GCHQ, the NSA is able to "buffer" more than 21 petabytes a day.

"They're taking away half of the constitution in secret," said Binney. "If they want to change the constitution, there's a way to do that -- and it's in the constitution."

This is the first I have heard about them tapping in to the undersea fiber optic cables.

Way to much data, giving them way to much power.

They've been tapping the cables for decades.  Read Blind Man's Bluff (submarine warfare during the Cold War).

lol.

you guys suck at math and physics.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 7:42:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They don't store any of the daily traffic or they don't store all of the daily traffic?

A general question...

Does a computer pulling text data such as names and phone numbers out of an email or text message count as a human reviewing the data or would that be considered "metadata"?

I know what I would be doing with the data if I had access to it; parsing all of it, extracting key data as "metadata" to permanently store, and then storing any data containing flagged words or "metadata" that connects them to other people of interest.  All of that would be done without any human looking at the data.  I'm just wondering if their is any official statement as to what the government is doing?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does one store 21 petabytes of data per day? Who builds those hard drives?

They don't.

A general question...

You can't.

It's not possible.

And parsing or text-to-speech just adds massive processing requirements onto the silliness of pretending its possible to dump it all at wire speed onto drives.  

The laws of physics still say fuck off.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You can't.

It's not possible.

And parsing or text-to-speech just adds massive processing requirements onto the silliness of pretending its possible to dump it all at wire speed onto drives.  

View Quote

I am dictating this text to my phone. With a simple consumer electronic device and a standard cellular internet connection my voice is being turned into text in almost real-time.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that an entity like the US government with an unlimited budget could not do the same.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am dictating this text to my phone. With a simple consumer electronic device and a standard cellular internet connection my voice is being turned into text in almost real-time.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that an entity like the US government with an unlimited budget could not do the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't.

It's not possible.

"almost real-time"??

No, it's not anywhere in the same planet as "almost real-time".  You dictate into your phone, your phone uploads your voice into a server on the internet, and several seconds later it returns the text entered into your text box.  

You're several orders of magnitude away from "real time", and you're talking about less than sixty words, and comparing this to the idea someone can just tap the whole internet and do a speech to text conversion on it, parse it in real time, and save the bits and pieces they want.  The idea is ludicrous.  I wish I had the post saved, but ar-jedi I think it was, wrote up a really good physics based analysis of how utterly absurd this notion was a couple of years ago.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are we really bashing the NSA collecting on the rest of the world? Should we just turn in our tanks and airplanes too? God forbid we work to maintain a decisive advantage against our enemies. GD...
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

"almost real-time"??

No, it's not anywhere in the same planet as "almost real-time".  You dictate into your phone, your phone uploads your voice into a server on the internet, and several seconds later it returns the text entered into your text box.  

You're several orders of magnitude away from "real time", and you're talking about less than sixty words, and comparing this to the idea someone can just tap the whole internet and do a speech to text conversion on it, parse it in real time, and save the bits and pieces they want.  The idea is ludicrous.  I wish I had the post saved, but ar-jedi I think it was, wrote up a really good physics based analysis of how utterly absurd this notion was a couple of years ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't.

It's not possible.

"almost real-time"??

I'm not entirely sure why you bother with these threads.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

"almost real-time"??

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't.

It's not possible.

"almost real-time"??

Whatever. If I can get some grainy night time surveillance video from 1992, all I have to do is whisper " enhance" into the computer a few times and I can identify the uncle of a present-day terrorist by his dental work.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't.

It's not possible.

"almost real-time"??

I know I have a problem.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Whatever. If I can get some grainy night time surveillance video from 1992, all I have to do is whisper " enhance" into the computer a few times and I can identify the uncle of a present-day terrorist by his dental work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't.

It's not possible.

"almost real-time"??

The abject ignorance about computing power boggles my mind sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#18]
The "whistle blower" is a plant. A fake.  NSA asked him to "leak" this story - because it is false.

Look at how NSA and the entire USA reacted to Snowden.  THAT response should tell you Snowden was the real deal (and almost everything he revealed has been confirmed).

This fake "whistleblower??"  No response.  Because he isn't a whistleblower.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The "whistle blower" is a plant. A fake.  NSA asked him to "leak" this story - because it is false.

Look at how NSA and the entire USA reacted to Snowden.  THAT response should tell you Snowden was the real deal (and almost everything he revealed has been confirmed).

View Quote

Binney isn't fake, but he's way outdated at this point. He hasn't worked there in 15 years.

The terminology in the article is vague. It says they can "buffer" 21 petabytes a day off of these cables. What exactly does that mean?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I would like to see our taxes increase so that we are giving these patriots the resources to do their job. If only two thirds of the world's population is having their communication and personal data intercepted, then there is still one third, probably terrorists, that need to be scrutinized. A significant budget increase should be able to resolve this situation, and if we are are able to contribute to through massive additional taxation, then we should really do that and stop trying to hold back this noble effort due to our own selfish greed and stingyness.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Imagine the political power you would wield being in control of that information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would venture to speculate getting real time Intel is not the goal, but to store data on everyone for later compiling for patterns of behavior and profiling.  Meaning it's about control and nothing more.

Imagine the political power you would wield being in control of that information.
Shit, you could probably get a Supreme Court Chief Justice to vote a certain way....

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Binney isn't fake, but he's way outdated at this point. He hasn't worked there in 15 years.

The terminology in the article is vague. It says they can "buffer" 21 petabytes a day off of these cables. What exactly does that mean?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 'buffer' is where you store data till you permanently save it, or otherwise use it.  The ram in your PC is a buffer between the CPU and hard drive.

In this case, it would be the data they can intercept and hold till they decide to throw it away or save it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A 'buffer' is where you store data till you permanently save it, or otherwise use it.  The ram in your PC is a buffer between the CPU and hard drive.

In this case, it would be the data they can intercept and hold till they decide to throw it away or save it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know what buffering is in general, I just question whether it's even the correct term to use here.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The RAM in your PC is not, in fact, a "buffer between the CPU and the hard drive".  Some of it may be used for that purpose, but that is not the purpose of ram.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I would like to see our taxes increase so that we are giving these patriots the resources to do their job. If only two thirds of the world's population is having their communication and personal data intercepted, then there is still one third, probably terrorists, that need to be scrutinized. A significant budget increase should be able to resolve this situation, and if we are are able to contribute to through massive additional taxation, then we should really do that and stop trying to hold back this noble effort due to our own selfish greed and stingyness.
View Quote

No need.

Given the intel they collect and analyze, if they don't have the chops to set up side businesses, investments, and strong-arm operations that pour staggering amounts of money into black budgets without oversight, any more money given to them would be a waste.

Either they can do it on their own, or they've become a bloated bureaucracy of mouth-breathing incompetence.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"almost real-time"??

View All Quotes
Quoted:
"almost real-time"??

No.

Response time from when I speak to when the words appear on the screen are well less than a second and this includes all the latency and overhead of round trip cellular data transport.  This is on a cheap consumer devise you standard consumer wireless connectivity, with the horsepower of voice recognition being done so cheaply that there is no cost to me.

Tell me now, how well can voice recognition be done on local data when cost is not a factor?  Does the NSA really not have at least parity with Google?

ETA You may be right, I may be crazy... but from the every day technology that is around us and available at almost no cost the idea of constant surveillance starts too look very possible.

EATA
The idea is ludicrous. I wish I had the post saved, but ar-jedi I think it was, wrote up a really good physics based analysis of how utterly absurd this notion was a couple of years ago.

"A couple of years ago" when we see more technological changes every year than previous generations experienced in their lifetimes?  Hey, if this guy is saying all this shit was happening 15 years ago then I am highly skeptical of that claim.  Today?  Much less skeptical.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#27]
haha,fuckers
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Tell me now, how well can voice recognition be done on local data when cost is not a factor?  Does the NSA really not have at least parity with Google?
View Quote

Parity with Google would be pretty shitty, if my experience with Google Voice transcription is any indicator.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
"A couple of years ago" when we see more technological changes every year than previous generations experienced in their lifetimes?  Hey, if this guy is saying all this shit was happening 15 years ago then I am highly skeptical of that claim.  Today?  Much less skeptical.
View Quote

first, some background might be needed.  what sorts of OOK or coherent optical transmission systems have you architected, implemented, and deployed over the past 10 years?

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#30]
They don't care about stopping terrorists.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

first, some background might be needed.  what sorts of OOK or coherent optical transmission systems have you architected, implemented, and deployed over the past 10 years?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does your question have to do with my assertion "given the voice recognition available to the public for free, it seems within the realm of possibility that the US government can track a significant amount of telecom traffic".
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
More proof that a few fuckers flat out LIED to folks on arfcom over this for years.

Remember that next time they post more lies.

Txl
View Quote

I wasn't stupid enough to believe them but I remember. Oh, I remember all right.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Solzhenitsyn studied mathematics and physics at the University of Rostov-on-Don, graduating at the beginning of World War II. He served for 4 years in the Soviet army and attained the rank of captain in the artillery. His difficulties with the authorities began on Feb. 8, 1945, when he was arrested for having written critical remarks about Joseph Stalin in a letter to a friend that was intercepted by the censors. Sentenced without a trial to 8 years of hard labor, he remained until 1953 in a number of labor camps,
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What does your question have to do with my assertion "given the voice recognition available to the public for free, it seems within the realm of possibility that the US government can track a significant amount of telecom traffic".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

whoops my bad -- too many windows open led to a thought multiplexing error and subsequent errant post.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#35]
LOL
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No.

Response time from when I speak to when the words appear on the screen are well less than a second and this includes all the latency and overhead of round trip cellular data transport.  This is on a cheap consumer devise you standard consumer wireless connectivity, with the horsepower of voice recognition being done so cheaply that there is no cost to me.

ETA You may be right, I may be crazy... but from the every day technology that is around us and available at almost no cost the idea of constant surveillance starts too look very possible.

EATA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"almost real-time"??

No.

EATA
The idea is ludicrous. I wish I had the post saved, but ar-jedi I think it was, wrote up a really good physics based analysis of how utterly absurd this notion was a couple of years ago.

You're right -- the speed data is transferred at gets faster.  We multiplex more data on the line, not less.

The problem gets more complex, not less.

Your iphone is doing something extremely simple, and it's not looking for anything.  Now separate out a hundred thousand VOIP streams and do that on every single one of them in real time (not sort of a couple of orders of magnitude away from real time like your iphone is doing it), and then process and parse all that text data to decide which conversation you need to record, but oops -- that conversation is already gone and since you don't have a petabyte of buffer nor do you have any way to write that much data that quickly into anything, you couldn't have saved it anyway.

It's not possible.

Go back and read Takedown by Shimomura for a look at the problem in the 1990s and realize that they couldn't even dream of the speeds we use to push data through the fiber today back then.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Ya can't catch the bad guys when you are listening to EVERYONE!!

I figured that out with a high school education..........fukin' know it alls.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This is my guess.  It's more retrospective than prospective.  The aim is not to collect information with the goal of preventing harm, but rather to build a case from stored information against targets identified by the regime.  So one day they decide that you are a threat to them, and you need to go.  The name goes to NSA, and soon they have your calls, your texts, your emails, your contacts and enough to get a warrant.  Since everybody commits three felonies a day, assuming you're not really a "bad guy" they'll have enough to put you away in short order.  I view it as our own little version of the Gestapo, but without the charm and personal warmth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would venture to speculate getting real time Intel is not the goal, but to store data on everyone for later compiling for patterns of behavior and profiling.  Meaning it's about control and nothing more.

This is my guess.  It's more retrospective than prospective.  The aim is not to collect information with the goal of preventing harm, but rather to build a case from stored information against targets identified by the regime.  So one day they decide that you are a threat to them, and you need to go.  The name goes to NSA, and soon they have your calls, your texts, your emails, your contacts and enough to get a warrant.  Since everybody commits three felonies a day, assuming you're not really a "bad guy" they'll have enough to put you away in short order.  I view it as our own little version of the Gestapo, but without the charm and personal warmth.

Where do people come up with this tinfoil hat bullshit?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:26:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/_o2djiZOxyA

Let's say the NSA has algorithms and software to see what is trending on both a macroscopic (sociology) level and a microscopic (individual psychology) level.

If you were in power, wouldn't you want to know ahead of time that the peasants are gathering their tar and feathers, and torches and pitchforks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/_o2djiZOxyA

Let's say the NSA has algorithms and software to see what is trending on both a macroscopic (sociology) level and a microscopic (individual psychology) level.

If you were in power, wouldn't you want to know ahead of time that the peasants are gathering their tar and feathers, and torches and pitchforks.

If they can't figure this out by watching the past 4 elections and listening to am talk radio then there's no amount of NSA analysis that's going to catch their attention.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Department of Homeland Security (DHS)

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)

Coast Guard (USCG)

Customs and Border Protection (CBP)

Border Patrol

Secret Service (USSS)

National Operations Center (NOC)

Homeland Defense

Immigration Customs Enforcement (ICE)

Agent

Task Force

Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)

Fusion Center

Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA)

Secure Border Initiative (SBI)

Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)

Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF)

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS)

Federal Air Marshal Service (FAMS)

Transportation Security Administration (TSA)

Air Marshal

Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)

National Guard

Red Cross

United Nations (UN)

Assassination

Attack

Domestic security

Drill

Exercise

Cops

Law enforcement

Authorities

Disaster assistance

Disaster management

DNDO (Domestic Nuclear Detection Office)

National preparedness

Mitigation

Prevention

Response

Recovery

Dirty bomb

Domestic nuclear detection

Emergency management

Emergency response

First responder

Homeland security

Maritime domain awareness (MDA)

National preparedness initiative

Militia Shooting

Shots fired

Evacuation

Deaths

Hostage

Explosion (explosive)

Police

Disaster medical assistance team (DMAT)

Organized crime

Gangs

National security

State of emergency

Security

Breach

Threat

Standoff

SWAT

Screening

Lockdown

Bomb (squad or threat)

Crash

Looting

Riot

Emergency

Landing

Pipe bomb

Incident

Facility

Hazmat

Nuclear

Chemical spill

Suspicious package/device

Toxic

National laboratory

Nuclear facility

Nuclear threat

Cloud

Plume

Radiation

Radioactive

Leak

Biological infection (or event)

Chemical

Chemical burn

Biological

Epidemic

Hazardous

Hazardous material incident

Industrial spill

Infection

Powder (white)

Gas

Spillover

Anthrax

Blister agent

Chemical agent

Exposure

Burn

Nerve agent

Ricin

Sarin

North Korea

Outbreak

Contamination

Exposure

Virus

Evacuation

Bacteria

Recall

Ebola

Food Poisoning

Foot and Mouth (FMD)

H5N1

Avian

Flu

Salmonella

Small Pox

Plague

Human to human

Human to Animal

Influenza

Center for Disease Control (CDC)

Drug Administration (FDA)

Public Health

Toxic Agro

Terror Tuberculosis (TB)

Agriculture

Listeria

Symptoms

Mutation

Resistant

Antiviral

Wave

Pandemic

Infection

Water/air borne

Sick

Swine

Pork

Strain

Quarantine

H1N1

Vaccine

Tamiflu

Norvo Virus

Epidemic

World Health Organization (WHO) (and components)

Viral Hemorrhagic Fever

E. Coli

Infrastructure security

Airport

CIKR (Critical Infrastructure & Key Resources)

AMTRAK

Collapse

Computer infrastructure

Communications infrastructure

Telecommunications

Critical infrastructure

National infrastructure

Metro

WMATA

Airplane (and derivatives)

Chemical fire

Subway

BART

MARTA

Port Authority

NBIC (National Biosurveillance Integration Center)

Transportation security

Grid

Power

Smart

Body scanner

Electric

Failure or outage

Black out

Brown out

Port

Dock

Bridge

Cancelled

Delays

Service disruption

Power lines

Drug cartel

Violence

Gang

Drug

Narcotics

Cocaine

Marijuana

Heroin

Border

Mexico

Cartel

Southwest

Juarez

Sinaloa

Tijuana

Torreon

Yuma

Tucson

Decapitated

U.S. Consulate

Consular

El Paso

Fort Hancock

San Diego

Ciudad Juarez

Nogales

Sonora

Colombia

Mara salvatrucha

MS13 or MS-13

Drug war

Mexican army

Methamphetamine

Cartel de Golfo

Gulf Cartel

La Familia

Reynosa

Nuevo Leon

Narcos

Narco banners (Spanish equivalents)

Los Zetas

Shootout

Execution

Gunfight

Trafficking

Kidnap

Calderon

Reyosa

Bust

Tamaulipas

Meth Lab

Drug trade

Illegal immigrants

Smuggling (smugglers)

Matamoros

Michoacana

Guzman

Arellano-Felix

Beltran-Leyva

Barrio Azteca

Artistic Assassins

Mexicles

New Federation

Terrorism

Al Qaeda (all spellings)

Terror

Attack

Iraq

Afghanistan

Iran

Pakistan

Agro

Environmental terrorist

Eco terrorism

Conventional weapon

Target

Weapons grade

Dirty bomb

Enriched

Nuclear

Chemical weapon

Biological weapon

Ammonium nitrate

Improvised explosive device

IED (Improvised Explosive Device)

Abu Sayyaf

Hamas

FARC (Armed Revolutionary Forces Colombia)

IRA (Irish Republican Army)

ETA (Euskadi ta Askatasuna)

Basque Separatists

Hezbollah

Tamil Tigers

PLF (Palestine Liberation Front)

PLO (Palestine Liberation Organization

Car bomb

Jihad

Taliban

Weapons cache

Suicide bomber

Suicide attack

Suspicious substance

AQAP (AL Qaeda Arabian Peninsula)

AQIM (Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb)

TTP (Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan)

Yemen

Pirates

Extremism

Somalia

Nigeria

Radicals

Al-Shabaab

Home grown

Plot

Nationalist

Recruitment

Fundamentalism

Islamist

Emergency

Hurricane

Tornado

Twister

Tsunami

Earthquake

Tremor

Flood

Storm

Crest

Temblor

Extreme weather

Forest fire

Brush fire

Ice

Stranded/Stuck

Help

Hail

Wildfire

Tsunami Warning Center

Magnitude

Avalanche

Typhoon

Shelter-in-place

Disaster

Snow

Blizzard

Sleet

Mud slide or Mudslide

Erosion

Power outage

Brown out

Warning

Watch

Lightening

Aid

Relief

Closure

Interstate

Burst

Emergency Broadcast System

Cyber security

Botnet

DDOS (dedicated denial of service)

Denial of service

Malware

Virus

Trojan

Keylogger

Cyber Command

Spammer

Phishing

Rootkit

Phreaking

Cain and abel

Brute forcing

Mysql injection

Cyber attack

Cyber terror

Hacker

China

Conficker

Worm

Scammers

Social media
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:44:51 PM EDT
[#41]
There goes my run for president...
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Fuck you NSA!
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:04:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

It may be ineffective for its stated purpose, but it sure as hell works for keeping the peasants in line.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Bomb Bomb Bomb Federal Building President
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:24:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Meanwhile an elaborate data breach happens over at OPM which includes SF-86 forms. Whoops.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You commit three felonies a day.

A Saudi student in Idaho was charged in 2003 with offering "material support" to terrorists. He had operated Web sites for a Muslim charity that focused on normal religious training, but was prosecuted on the theory that if a user followed enough links off his site, he would find violent, anti-American comments on other sites. The Internet is a series of links, so if there's liability for anything in an online chain, it would be hard to avoid prosecution.

How many links from hate speech is any Arfcom conversation? Read the article. It IS tin foil, produced from governmental smoke-and-mirrors.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

How many links from hate speech is any Arfcom conversation? Read the article. It IS tin foil, produced from governmental smoke-and-mirrors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Saudi student in Idaho was charged in 2003 with offering "material support" to terrorists. He had operated Web sites for a Muslim charity that focused on normal religious training, but was prosecuted on the theory that if a user followed enough links off his site, he would find violent, anti-American comments on other sites. The Internet is a series of links, so if there's liability for anything in an online chain, it would be hard to avoid prosecution.

lol, read the indictment
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Does anyone think the NSA will ever get reined in?

Does anyone think the federal government will ever get reined in?

It will get worse-the path we are on will not change.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:29:00 AM EDT
[#49]
lol @ people talking about the technical impossibilities involved. I started out using PCs when 1kB RAM chips were there norm. If there's one thing I've learned about computers in the last 35 years, it's that all tech hurdles are just a matter of time and money. The gov has a lot of the former and an infinite amount of the later. Will they be able to process / analyze every single 1 and 0 on earth in 5 years? No. Will it ever happen? Probably. So human analysis is a huge choke point. So what? Hello AI!

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
lol @ people talking about the technical impossibilities involved. I started out using PCs when 1kB RAM chips were there norm. If there's one thing I've learned about computers in the last 35 years, it's that all tech hurdles are just a matter of time and money. The gov has a lot of the former and an infinite amount of the later. Will they be able to process / analyze every single 1 and 0 on earth in 5 years? No. Will it ever happen? Probably. So human analysis is a huge choke point. So what? Hello AI!

View Quote

A 23 petabyte data storage "buffer" is meaningless if your ability to process data is exceeded by the rate at which it is collected.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top