BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:13:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/phuzzygnu/media/f19stlth_zpsjx1wdehj.png.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/phuzzygnu/f19stlth_zpsjx1wdehj.png</a>
View Quote

That was the first simulator I ever had.  I flew probably thousands of hours over several years with that -- most of it with a black and white monitor.  I'll never forget when I finally got a 16 color monitor and got to see it in color and figured out all the features I'd never seen because they only showed up in color.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Me standing next to my black Saab....doesn't really compare!  You win!  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:20:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

well written! The  "voice" in your writing,  is impeccable .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back in the 80's I was a kid in Hawthorne, NV. Place is surrounded by a huge early cold-war-era weapons depot (Navy then Army), tons of military land and facilities. The town is just a mile square of little houses in a hot, dusty place. People either work on the Base, at nearby mines, local community services, or collect a check in some....other fashion. I was an aircraft buff from day one like any other American kid, and did enough traveling around the state with my pops to see a lot of military stuff in action.

Some time around, oh, maybe '83-'85 window, a small USAF contingent showed up in town and had a small compound in Babbitt (enlisted/worker town, no longer extant) that consisted of a few white trailers and antenna arrays. The Base always had various "odd" military members using various bits of the facilities, so this wasn't a big deal. The personnel were radar techies and the like, and became members of the local community for a few years. One of them, "Mr. B", came to our church and even helped out with the little private school there. He brought a few of us through the radar trailers on a school field trip, totally awesome green tubed gear. Just a regular guy.

I paid attention to anything that flew - in that kind of isolated town you had to have interests or else risk running amok with your life. Around '85 or so, I started seeing a single aircraft fly over town at night east-west at a mid-elevation (probably ~5000-7000 AGL thinking back). Nothing obviously out of the ordinary, clearly military but not a super-fast mover like the guys out of Fallon. A couple of wingtip lights and a center red strobe IIRC. I slept outside a lot, so I'd see it frequently. In 1988 this thing started flying over town in the daytime, with a white T-38 chase in fairly close formation. Looked like an arrowhead, and was obviously a bit larger than the T-38. It was really exciting, and I can remember sketching it after I saw it the first time. Well, within a couple weeks it was making regular appearances and I started keeping track. I had a local sectional chart (to go with the hanging plastic models, balsa flyers, posters, and constant begging the local CAP guys to let me join as a cadet early), and it was easy work with a watch and compass to get times and flight paths plotted. Within a couple more weeks I had a daily schedule worked up with the flight path variations within visual range. It got to the point where I could say when and where the thing would appear, and where it would exit visual.

Some time (months, maybe) went by, but I distinctly remember running into "Mr. B" one morning while I was out delivering my papers and he was jogging around the town perimeter.
"He's USAF," I thought. "He'll be just as excited about this strange aircraft as I am!"
When I proceeded to lay it all out to Mr. B, and show him my little folded up schedule in my pocket, he seemed amused but not particularly engaged on the topic. I just could not understand why he wasn't all jazzed about it. I mean, this was an epic adventure for an 11 year old kid stuck in a desert town 2.5 hours away from the nearest shopping mall. Mr. B never brought it up again, and we ended up moving away a little over two years later. It wasn't long after that, however, that the T-38 started getting dropped from the flights, and the pattern become completely random. After a year or so of this, I stopped seeing it, and pretty soon the Testor's 1:32 scale model was hanging in my room along with every scrap of info I could get on Groom Lake. The USAF group ended up leaving soon as well, but I don't remember the timing exactly on that. Pretty sure at this point that their sole purpose was a test node for the program.

Now there is just sand and desert shrubs where the compound and white trailers were, and hopefully some other kid is running my paper route and dreaming of a larger world.  

well written! The  "voice" in your writing,  is impeccable .

Ditto, in before the t/l d/l idiots. I wish I could do half as well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I hated working on that POS. Applying and removing the coating, buttering the screw heads was the worst part for me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:31:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Hah, this place never ceases to amaze me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So?

What happens next?  What discriminates the source of the turbulence?  What range is possible?  What kind of information can be derived from detection of atmospheric turbulence?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
High Definition doppler weather radar can detect the air turbulence generated by air craft.

So?

What happens next?  What discriminates the source of the turbulence?  What range is possible?  What kind of information can be derived from detection of atmospheric turbulence?

...Which translates to: "PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!"  

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:36:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I was flying in and out of Burbank in '87 and there were a lot of Janet 737's running around, pulling up to the Lockheed plant and, occasionally, there would be a
C-141 backed up to the big hangar with a shroud around the whole area.

I put two and two together once the F-117 development timetable was made public.

TC

P.S.--I often drive past the empty lot where the Ramada hotel was that took the A-7 hit.  That whole thing was a total failure by a variety of parties.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:37:13 AM EDT
[#9]

This!

Excellent book!

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Wow!

You win the internet for today.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/phuzzygnu/media/f19stlth_zpsjx1wdehj.png.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/phuzzygnu/f19stlth_zpsjx1wdehj.png</a>
View Quote

I was playing that in college when I noticed an ME dude standing behind me as I bombed target in Iraq or Iran. It turned out OK he was Turkish and wanted a copy so he could attack them too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:01:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My understanding was that the shoot-down was due to some lazy planning and flying the same flight path night after night giving the A-A radar operator night after night to tune his radar to figure out what kind of return it was giving then fire at it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
My understanding was that the shoot-down was due to some lazy planning and flying the same flight path night after night giving the A-A radar operator night after night to tune his radar to figure out what kind of return it was giving then fire at it.

Plus, a French officer Pierre-Henri Bunel working for NATO gave the Serbs our flight plans. The Fucking French.

Other alliance members, however, have blamed Serbian sympathies within the French military for hampering Nato's campaign in the Balkans.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1706341.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/431408.stm
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#15]
The F-117 was the first plane I ever guarded as a newly minted Security Policeman at Nellis AFB, NV.  I can remember being so proud to be picked to guard it but at the same time I didn't understand why they put a new guy on the bird.  This thing was a PL-2 resource when it was at our base.  PL-1 is for nukes.  Then a few hours into shift my flight chief pulls up to do a post check.  I snapped to attention and reported my post.  After a few minutes I asked my flight chief, "MSgt, I know I'm new and all and this is an important plane, how come I was put here?"  He took a second and responded with, "You don't strike me as a retard, so don't fuck this up."  Then he drove off leaving me with the Nighthawk for the rest of the night.  

After that anytime the F-117's of the 49th FW came to Nellis I was always on those birds.  Then when I was at Osan AB I was there for their last overseas retirement.  For old times sake my flight commander put me out there with them and we walked them out to taxilane and watched them leave.  

When their retirement was announced I could understand why they had to go.  They were maintenance hogs.  The maintainers hated them and couldn't wait to go to their next assignments.  All in all it was cool to work with them and see how they performed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Shortly after GW1, my family and I went to an airshow in San Antonio to see the Thunderbirds. It was pretty overcast, which made it cool because they had to do most of their maneuvers under the cloud deck.

Anyway, they had a whole slew of USAF planes on display, some of which you could walk into (which is how we now joke about how my mom fell out of a C5 Galaxy). I was 15 or 16yo and itching to go to the Air Force Academy, and read everything I could get my hands on when it came to USAF combat aircraft.

An F/A-117 was on display with the pilot standing behind a rope fence signing autographs and answering questions (that weren't Top Secret or whatever) and taking pictures with folks. I walked up to him and asked point blank, "Isn't it true that the angles of each facet are canted below 60 degrees in order to better deflect radar waves (or something to that effect, it was over 20 years ago)?"

He just looked confused and stammered an "I dunno" and walked off. I was so proud of myself for asking a TS level question, and then freaked out because I thought the SPs were going to come get me, lol.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
High Definition doppler weather radar can detect the air turbulence generated by air craft.
View Quote

Lower frequency search radar can see any of them.

Higher frequency targeting/tracking radar cannot get a solid lock.

They can see you coming but cannot lock onto the target.

The straight lines kept parallel occurred because we could not correctly model the radar cross section of more complicated shapes at the time.

Lower frequency (longer wavelength) and bistatistic radar (widely separate locations of radar emitter and radar receiver).
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I work with a few previous Stink bug pilots.  This guy sits in the cubicle adjacent to mine.  We are A/T-38C Simulator Instructors here at ENJJPT.  He even wrote this book on it.  His callsign is Yukon

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Great book. Has lots of info you are curious about.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#22]

What aircraft is that?

ETA:
Nevermind.  I was looking at it thinking, "there's no way on earth that can even fly."  And apparently, it can't.  LOL.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#23]
needs moar:

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No idea why it was given a Fighter designation. Anyone?
View Quote

Because Air Force
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Groom lake 81.. I thought the camo scheme was badass

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/142072.jpg

https://youtu.be/TnsH7TMeyA0
View Quote

i've always loved that camo pattern.  iirc, it was to make it harder for Russian satellites to see it when it was out during the day

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Because Air Force
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because Air Force

I'm thinking budget shenanigans....
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#27]

Best brag post ever.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Ever do this pose without the aircraft behind you?  

Cool pics, thanks for sharing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
F-117A?

Never heard of it.

http://i46.tinypic.com/hw9wrd.jpg

Ever do this pose without the aircraft behind you?  

Cool pics, thanks for sharing.

Brag post, has to be one of them Electric Poodles...
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Best brag post ever.
View All Quotes

I was thinking the same.  What an amazing achievement.

Are there any astronauts on here?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Me, circa 1989

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me, circa 1989

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p217/zwvirtual/ar15%20photos/shuttledoorgunner.jpg

I thought you guys used Gatlings?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Best brag post ever.

Me, circa 1989

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p217/zwvirtual/ar15%20photos/shuttledoorgunner.jpg

Not in Space Camp. You have to qualify with the 60 first.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best brag post ever.

Me, circa 1989

In space, no one can you scream "Get some!"
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Best brag post ever.
View All Quotes

fuckin aye
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I took this around 2006 at the Dayton Airshow, with a shitty digital camera. But, I've always liked it.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me, circa 1989

Depends on the mission.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Awesome.  Thank you for your service.

My uncle (Mom's brother) was the commander of the 4450th Tactical Squadron (the first operational squadron) back in the mid 80's when they were still in test phase.  The family lived in Alamagordo NM, and he was flown out on Sunday night, usually came home Thursday night or Friday morning.    Obviously at that time it was "If I tell you I have to kill you:"

My uncle didn't like the F117.  He flew 105's in Nam, A7's in the late 70's, and F16's in the early 80's.  I don't remember too much specifically, he just said it wasn't fun to fly.  A couple of his friends were killed during testing back in the 80's.

My grandfather/ his dad was a lifetime pilot, ran a primary flight school for most of WW2, then flew B29's off of Tinian late the war.  He tried to get into fighters for the entire war but they kept telling him they needed him to run the school, and then when they finally shut down the school they put him flying B29's.  

Grandad and I used to build model planes when I was a kid and in the mid 80's Testors had an F19 Stealth fighter model that we put together.  

F19

My grandad showed it to my uncle and raised an eyebrow.  My uncle just smirked.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Best brag post ever.
View All Quotes

Shit howdy, it is

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

My uncle (Mom's brother) was the commander of the 4450th Tactical Squadron (the first operational squadron) back in the mid 80's when they were still in test phase.  The family lived in Alamagordo NM, and he was flown out on Sunday night, usually came home Thursday night or Friday morning.    Obviously at that time it was "If I tell you I have to kill you:"

My uncle didn't like the F117.  He flew 105's in Nam, A7's in the late 70's, and F16's in the early 80's.  I don't remember too much specifically, he just said it wasn't fun to fly.  A couple of his friends were killed during testing back in the 80's.

My grandfather/ his dad was a lifetime pilot, ran a primary flight school for most of WW2, then flew B29's off of Tinian late the war.  He tried to get into fighters for the entire war but they kept telling him they needed him to run the school, and then when they finally shut down the school they put him flying B29's.  

Grandad and I used to build model planes when I was a kid and in the mid 80's Testors had an F19 Stealth fighter model that we put together.  

F19

View All Quotes
Quoted:

F19

I built that kit!

I was also shocked that the F117 didn't look like that.  Call it pre-pubescent naivety.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on factors. Yes under perfect conditions stealth can be detected, tho with limited range. There are however solar and weather disturbances, like sunrise and sunset, storms, lightening...ect that interfere with doppler tracking stealth. So at sunrise and sunset your expensive, fixed doppler radar sight is probably not the place to be hanging out at in time of war. High sea's cause problems too so attacking stealth aircraft riding low over water can ruin your day. Add to that the fact that long range and stand off weapons, HARM weapons, other network attacking methods and weapons...ect have made this type of weather radar a poor choice for military applications. As far as I know only Australia has spent heavily on this stuff and even that cause they wanted a better way to track illegal ships operating off their coastlines.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Shortly after GW1, my family and I went to an airshow in San Antonio to see the Thunderbirds. It was pretty overcast, which made it cool because they had to do most of their maneuvers under the cloud deck.

Anyway, they had a whole slew of USAF planes on display, some of which you could walk into (which is how we now joke about how my mom fell out of a C5 Galaxy). I was 15 or 16yo and itching to go to the Air Force Academy, and read everything I could get my hands on when it came to USAF combat aircraft.

An F/A-117 was on display with the pilot standing behind a rope fence signing autographs and answering questions (that weren't Top Secret or whatever) and taking pictures with folks. I walked up to him and asked point blank, "Isn't it true that the angles of each facet are canted below 60 degrees in order to better deflect radar waves (or something to that effect, it was over 20 years ago)?"

He just looked confused and stammered an "I dunno" and walked off. I was so proud of myself for asking a TS level question, and then freaked out because I thought the SPs were going to come get me, lol.
View Quote

Don't feel too bad, race car drivers tend not to know the details of their cars, either.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Obviously you have never heard an F-105 with its burner at max power

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Loud as fuck.

Nope, way before my time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I took the family to the Edwards AFB air show sometime in the mid to late 80s.  We were walking down the flight line looking at all the neat stuff.  Just happened to stop at point that had a small area roped off, but open to the flight line.  About that time they announced the f117 would be doing a first ever (i think) public flight demonstration.   It was awesome.   Before long it landed and taxied down the flight line so everyone could get a good look, and taxied into the small roped off area we had stopped at to watch the flight demonstration.   It was really a sight to see.  
View Quote

The wife and I went to  the Edwards airshow that year because the F-117 was scheduled to make its first public appearance there.  I'd read in Aviation Week that one of the features of the F-117 program was its out of the box thinking, exemplified by buying and modifying newly available 4-section folding ladders into the entry ladders for the F-117 instead of designing an all new ground stand.

When we were walking in from the parking area we passed that roped off spot and I noticed a 4-section folding ladder with a canopy rail bracket attached and I told the wife "That's where the F-117 is going to park."  When it came time for the F-117 to arrive we walked back to that location and got ourselves right on the flightline edge, in the corner next to the rope.

When the F-117 taxied in after landing we had an unobstructed view and I got some good photos of the black jet.  I'll have to dig around and see if I can find them for the next F-117 thread.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#44]
First time I saw one was an MCAS El Toro air show, early 90s IIRC.

A bunch of local media was camping out in the nearby mountains, anticipating its arrival and trying to get its approach on video.
A few nights of this... nothing.

Then, as the sun came up one morning, the damn thing was sitting on the Tarmac

Added to the mistique.  HUGE wow factor
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Add F4's and/or F111's at 100%...!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Loud as fuck.

Add F4's and/or F111's at 100%...!

Nope.  The same air show I saw the F-117 fly had a B-1 do a demo.  That fucker at full 'burner for takeoff was insane.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Because Air Force
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because Air Force

Do people make the same gripe about the 'vark?

It's an F designation not used as a fighter at all, afaik.  It got an air to air kill in Desert Storm by getting an Iraqi pilot to dig himself a whole in the desert.

I wonder how many guys on the ground would have rather gone into Kuwait in '91 without the air campaign that was literally lead by the 117.

I get inter-service rivalry. I get budget griping.  But let's not be revisionist faggots.  The 117 was a huge success and saved the lives of American soldiers and Marines.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Groom lake 81.. I thought the camo scheme was badass
http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/142072.jpg
https://youtu.be/TnsH7TMeyA0
View Quote

Multicam before Multicam
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:11:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Yea....

We are going to have to ground that non-compliant work area due to worker safety concerns.  Specifically, but not limited to, OSHA Fall Prevention violations and clear issues with providing safe egress from the work area.  

Due to the large number of sharp edges around the egress area we are going to require those be removed for worker safety.  Reference 1926.34 Title: Means of Egress for more information.  

Further, a warning sign should be affixed that complies with sec. 1910.145(d)(1).
It states:

Design features. All signs shall be furnished with rounded or blunt corners and shall be free from sharp edges, burrs, splinters, or other sharp projections. The ends or heads of bolts or other fastening devices shall be located in such a way that they do not constitute a hazard.

You get right to work on that and we hope we don't find these issues again in our next inspection.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#50]
So, I was working the flight line at Mountain Home Idaho in the late 80's into the early 90's. Sure I was supporting the venerable old F-111A model. Sure, it was a training base pretty much at that time. Sure, I got to know a few of the pilots as I fixed their planes...

Imagine my surprise when I tune into the Discovery Channel or History Channel or PBS or whatever it was I was watching in the mid 90's and seeing a documentary on the F-117A... and then recognizing one of the pilots on the show as one that had been stationed at Mtn. Home for a few years as an instructor pilot. I thought it was kind of cool in a "hey! I know him" moment.

Yeah. I know. Cool story bro.

B-1's under full burner take off are loud. Impressive too. We had a squadron deploy to Mtn. Home one time for a few weeks. It was cool watching them launch their sorties. Big brother to the F-111.
F-104's are louder. And fast as hell. We had one land one day. It was a maintenance magnet and dozens of us gathered around it to take a look. Those J79 engines are just loud.
F-105's are loud.
F-4's are loud.
F-14's, 15's, 16's, 18's are loud too but they're a much higher pitch.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top