Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/19/2016 10:28:55 PM EDT

Congress is looking into restarting production of the F-22 fighter jet, according to a defense bill proposal released Tuesday.

The House Tactical Air and Land Forces Subcommittee released its portion of the 2017 National Defense Authorization Act, which included a provision to look into restarting production of the stealthy fifth-generation fighter jet.

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/276915-congress-looks-into-restarting-the-f-22-fighter-jet
I'll believe it when I see it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Should have kept making it in the first place.  We could use 500 more.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:31:41 PM EDT
[#2]
But we can't just restart production on an airframe that actually has seen combat in uncontested skies; where's the pork in it for poor ol' Congress?

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:33:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But we can't just restart production on an airframe that actually has seen combat in uncontested skies; where's the pork in it for poor ol' Congress?

View Quote
No problem old buddy. They'll just throw in a fat pay raise and some stipends. Done and done.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Good luck getting the forgings for some of the major frames in under half a decade let alone training the new guys working the line.

I want to see more raptors, but I don't see it happening
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#5]
It's because the abortion that is the F-35 is such a huge broken moneypit that they are finally going to have to admit such and will need a viable aircraft to replace it
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I rather suspect they'll stop looking into it when they get an idea of what it'd cost to restart production.

Might as well start with a clean sheet design.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I rather suspect they'll stop looking into it when they get an idea of what it'd cost to restart production.

View Quote

Just read this somewhere and it's like 200m/plane to restart vs like 150m/plane had they kept the line up

Those numbers where based on needing only 75 more Raptors
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just read this somewhere and it's like 200m/plane to restart vs like 150m/plane had they kept the line up

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they do restart it they better be doing it for a hell of a lot more than 75 of them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Wasn't McCain one of the people who pushed to cut the number of F22's?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Didn't the Air Force mothball all the tooling, dies, and videos showing assembly, just in case this happened?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Didn't the Air Force mothball all the tooling, dies, and videos showing assembly, just in case this happened?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:09:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Probably make more sense to just create an f-22A incorporating all of the proposed upgrades and build that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:09:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, according to the same article I read on the pricing mentioned above
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
That's what I remember

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#15]
One would think they could update it with lessons learned...fix the bugs from the first gen.  

the B model is often much better than the A.

It might make sense...and is probably still cheaper than the F-35.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:13:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Since our defense contractors seem to be as effective as keeping secrets as high school boys that screw their teacher, I bet we can probably ask the Chinese how to go about restarting the F22 manufacturing process.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If they do restart it they better be doing it for a hell of a lot more than 75 of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that's the case it likely wont make much sense with less than 250+ orders. I'm sure Lockheed bean counters will make it work for such an order.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Reponse will be "we spent a lot of money following your request to look into this. The answer we came up with fits what we already did. You're welcome."
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:44:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Something tells me Grumman or Boeing would love to build some fighter jets.

All lockheed is good at is burning money. Surely someone still has shit saved on a floppy disk.

But who the fuck knows. Wet can't seem to build Jack shit anymore. Spend billions on r&d just to cancel, fuck I'm losing count on how many programs. Plus, we get rides from the russians now to space with the biggest deficit ever.

It's almost like opposite world. At what point do we say " hey, gov, your obviously an asshat and don't know what the fuck your you're doing. "

Maybe the whole global security for free thing is a shitty idea.

Keyboard noises... "dear world, we're tired of you guys being cheap broke dick fucks. We need money for ebt, cell phones, and rent to own shit for the 50-60% or so, ish, in the fsa. Please go fuck yourselves and pay for your own security, planes, and shit. We're broke as fuck. Besides, the planes that we're building can't actually do anything yet. We're still working on that software and shit. We hope you understand.

Signed, uncle Sam.

Why bother with stealth fighters in all seriousness. Anyone with a real kick ass defense has nukes, so that's out. Until the day icbms are rendered obsolete, it seems like going down town anywhere is a shitty idea.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:26:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sierra Army Depot
http://www.sierra.army.mil/public/news/12/The_Challenge-06-2012.pdf
The last event to close in February was a 3-P type event for a new project to container- ize and store F-22 tooling equipment for the Air Force.
This was a challenging event due to the customer requirements to utilize a database called “ETIMS” which is used by the Air Force, but not commonly used on Army Installations.
The team worked diligently to come up with a flexible lay- out to process this material and store it efficiently, which could lead to additional similar workload from the customer if executed satisfactorily.
A job well-done by the F-22 3-P team!

ARfcom search, it's a motherfucker.

F-22 Production Tooling Goes Into Storage
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=147&t=1264554
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:55:43 AM EDT
[#21]
While I like the idea in principal, the F-22 is too small a plane for the Pacific facing future we are facing. Not enough internal fuel, not a deep enough magazine.

We need a fly-off with a firm fixed price award at the end of it with legally binding production numbers, I'd like to see if we can fight fleet contraction and procure 1.2 NGADs or whatever for each F-15 currently in inventory. With legally binding production numbers and firm fixed price contracting I believe its doable.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:57:39 AM EDT
[#22]
The irony of this would be giving Lockheed yet another chance to fuck up a fighter jet.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:08:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

At least they didn't destroy it. Someone thought about future possibilities.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:22:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Why, to ensure the F-35 wouldn't get reduced?

Doubt it will ever happen, but I suppose we can sell some to Japan and repeal that law that prohibits export. They're already getting some F-35s so I don't think there is much technology they won't already get. And they're really the only country who expressed interest in them while being able to afford them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:27:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

While I like the idea in principal, the F-22 is too small a plane for the Pacific facing future we are facing. Not enough internal fuel, not a deep enough magazine.

We need a fly-off with a firm fixed price award at the end of it with legally binding production numbers, I'd like to see if we can fight fleet contraction and procure 1.2 NGADs or whatever for each F-15 currently in inventory. With legally binding production numbers and firm fixed price contracting I believe its doable.
View Quote

Maybe its time for a Super-Raptor? Ala the Super-Hornet?

Probably be a whole new plane at that point anyways.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:31:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought we're supposed to do all that for the F 35 and they still ran away with costs and the damn thing still doesn't work.

You can't trust Congress or weapons manufacturers to ever get even within 10% of their budget.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:02:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
One would think they could update it with lessons learned...fix the bugs from the first gen.  

View Quote

Hope they include the pilot hypoxia fix in it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:05:29 AM EDT
[#28]
So who is up for re-election in the state/district where this is built?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:07:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Their was always the proposed FB-22 variant!  I thought that was a great idea.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Bring back the YF-23! I've always preferred the looks of the YF-23 over the F-22. No idea how the two aircraft compared performance-wise.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Bring back the YF-23! I've always preferred the looks of the YF-23 over the F-22. No idea how the two aircraft compared performance-wise.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/Northrop_YF-23_DFRC.jpg
View Quote
Not me.  It's cool, but the F22 is a pure, unadulterated Sofia Vergara/Jessica Alba sex sandwich.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

IIRC, it was skewed more toward being a multirole fighter than a hard core air superiority fighter.  With the AF being run by fighter pilots, the F-22 won out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

IIRC, it was skewed more toward being a multirole fighter than a hard core air superiority fighter.  With the AF being run by fighter pilots, the F-22 won out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the 23 had longer legs though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

They have conformal fuel tanks for the F-16 that impose little drag while greatly extending the amount of fuel carried (and therefore range).  While we're not using them ()  other countries are.  They have also developed CFT's for the Hornet and this is something the Navy is supposedly looking in to.  The E model F-15's use them also.

I wonder if there is a possibility of a stealth compatible CFT that could be developed for the F-22 (or F-35 for that matter).

-K
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

IIRC, the F-23 was faster, stealthier, and flew higher, while the F-22 was more maneuverable and offered better close in performance.

I also recall reading that the F-23 could supercruise for more or less the entire mission profile while the F-22 is more limited in how long it can maintain a supercruise due to fuel and thermal management issues.  This extended supercruise would be very useful over the large areas we would be dealing with against China.

-K

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

IIRC, the F-23 was faster, stealthier, and flew higher, while the F-22 was more maneuverable and offered better close in performance.

I also recall reading that the F-23 could supercruise for more or less the entire mission profile while the F-22 is more limited in how long it can maintain a supercruise due to fuel and thermal management issues.

-K
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also recall reading that the F-23 could supercruise for more or less the entire mission profile while the F-22 is more limited in how long it can maintain a supercruise due to fuel and thermal management issues.

-K

I thought that they choose the F-22 because the YF 23 wasn't a complete working prototype, and they were worried if they could get the plane working as promised. Which, oddly, sounds exactly like the F 35 project.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

It won't be less expensive than the F-35, not even close.  Rand has a paper out there estimating re-start costs, and they put the figure at something like 50% above mid/late-production flyaway costs.  And that Rand paper is optimistic.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Sierra Army Depot
The last event to close in February was a 3-P type event for a new project to container- ize and store F-22 tooling equipment for the Air Force.
This was a challenging event due to the customer requirements to utilize a database called “ETIMS” which is used by the Air Force, but not commonly used on Army Installations.
The team worked diligently to come up with a flexible lay- out to process this material and store it efficiently, which could lead to additional similar workload from the customer if executed satisfactorily.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sierra Army Depot

And none of that addresses the majority of the true hurdles in restarting the program.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I thought that they choose the F-22 because the YF 23 wasn't a complete working prototype, and they were worried if they could get the plane working as promised. Which, oddly, sounds exactly like the F 35 project.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-K

I recall something similar, but it was more them not really having as much faith in the BVR capability of air-to-air missiles and so they gave extra weight to the F-22's ability to fight within visual range.  I don't have the knowledge to really criticize the decision makers who were working with 1990's information, but things have come a long way since then in both missiles and air to ground munitions.  Maybe their concern was warranted and maybe not.

-K
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#42]
I read the 2010 RAND Corp paper on the shutdown and restart issues and costs last fall.  I could not remember all of the details, esp the cost, but I found it.  Highly suggest you read it.  They estimate cost of restart to be $330M, details start on page 25 of the doc.  Go here and download PDF.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Indisputable: 23 > 22

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

It won't be less expensive than the F-35, not even close.  Rand has a paper out there estimating re-start costs, and they put the figure at something like 50% above mid/late-production flyaway costs.  And that Rand paper is optimistic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But as the increased costs would be a more or less one time investment to re-start the line, actual fly-away costs would then come down with additional numbers, would they not?  Add in foreign purchases (Canada, Australia, and Japan might all be interested as well as others) and we could see a lot more aircraft produced.

-K
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#45]
More details:  here
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:37:22 AM EDT
[#46]
F35 = jack of all trades master of none = gets our pilots killed. Cancel it. Moar F22s = good move.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:39:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI. It should have never stopped.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I also recall reading that the F-23 could supercruise for more or less the entire mission profile while the F-22 is more limited in how long it can maintain a supercruise due to fuel and thermal management issues.  This extended supercruise would be very useful over the large areas we would be dealing with against China.

-K

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-K

I fixed it.  It's not a problem.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Indisputable: 23 > 22

View Quote

Disputable.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#50]
And another interesting article on Vice regarding the stupid decision to cancel production early and restart challenges  .here
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top