Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 28
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Never watched the show but I'm intrigued now.  I usually like shows like this.

How is a winner chosen?  Just the person that lasts the longest?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just watching all of these survival shows, protein isn't all that easy to get, but it is a lot easier to get than carbs. After a month of no carbs, your brain doesn't work right. You get lightheaded all kinds of terrible stuff that you don't want when you are in dangerous situations.

ETA if you are disciplined enough to really rations the carbs, you can get a boost and go a couple of weeks and then get a boost and repeat, just like a hard core atkins dieter might do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The other side would be, if you went with a fatty pemmican, your body would quickly begin mobilizing your own fat stores as needed.  Where if you, likely rationed, your beans and rice, it would take longer for that to occur and the feeling of hunger would intensify the entire time.

On one hand you could look at that as the smart thing to do, keeping your body fat until you need it.  On the other hand, it would become miserable. (imho)

Just watching all of these survival shows, protein isn't all that easy to get, but it is a lot easier to get than carbs. After a month of no carbs, your brain doesn't work right. You get lightheaded all kinds of terrible stuff that you don't want when you are in dangerous situations.

ETA if you are disciplined enough to really rations the carbs, you can get a boost and go a couple of weeks and then get a boost and repeat, just like a hard core atkins dieter might do.

wrong

Your body requires fat and protein to survive,  you can live forever without carbs.   Your body will create all the carbs it needs.
take the pemican.  way more calories too, in addition to the fat and protein you need.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Never watched the show but I'm intrigued now.  I usually like shows like this.

How is a winner chosen?  Just the person that lasts the longest?
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

wrong

Your body requires fat and protein to survive,  you can live forever without carbs.   Your body will create all the carbs it needs.
take the pemican.  way more calories too, in addition to the fat and protein you need.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The other side would be, if you went with a fatty pemmican, your body would quickly begin mobilizing your own fat stores as needed.  Where if you, likely rationed, your beans and rice, it would take longer for that to occur and the feeling of hunger would intensify the entire time.

On one hand you could look at that as the smart thing to do, keeping your body fat until you need it.  On the other hand, it would become miserable. (imho)

wrong

One pound of fat is about 4000 calories
One pound of dry rice is about 1600
Beans look about the same with more protein.

So, yeah, the pemmican is def the way to go from a numbers standpoint.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Depends on your definition of most qualified. That could be most likely to last the longest. Most likely to poison themselves with brackish water or chop off a finger. Most comedic relief.  Most likely to have a log cabin, a bear skin rug, fireplace and a vegetable garden planted and a tamed cougar by the end of the show.

Far down on that list, for me, would be most qualified cause they enjoy sex with someone who possesses the same genitalia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty sure they sought out a transgender person.

Pretty sure that person got a spot ahead of someone more qualified because of their "status"

Kind of taints their selection process, for me.

LMAO if you think they just auditioned hundreds or thousands of people and took the 10 most qualified people.

You can't be that naive....right?

Depends on your definition of most qualified. That could be most likely to last the longest. Most likely to poison themselves with brackish water or chop off a finger. Most comedic relief.  Most likely to have a log cabin, a bear skin rug, fireplace and a vegetable garden planted and a tamed cougar by the end of the show.

Far down on that list, for me, would be most qualified cause they enjoy sex with someone who possesses the same genitalia.
Incipient mental illness is a motherfucker when you're by yourself in the woods.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Another thing about Alan. He wasn't picky about what went in his mouth. I'm here to tell you that "edible" doesn't mean "tasty" by any stretch of Euell Gibbon's imagination.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Allen won, he was the smartest, but he had the most to eat.

Like I said in the other thread, everyone is going to be searching for washed up plastic bottles on the shore so they can use his idea from season 1.

Yeah, that was brilliant and was giving a pot of food every morning.

I was shocked at how full those things were.

Another thing about Alan. He wasn't picky about what went in his mouth. I'm here to tell you that "edible" doesn't mean "tasty" by any stretch of Euell Gibbon's imagination.

Alan's running commentary when he was preparing and eating that big old slug was one of my favorite parts of the first season.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I watched last year and will again this year. I agree though Alan is the man. I was pulling for him from the start from last year.

It's awesome they got him narrate the opener. I hope he does the whole season. He's got the voice for it.

Tough good 'ole boy philosopher.

I'm not very impressed with this years crop either, but I think Mary Kate might do well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A hell of a lot more than half of the other trash they play.

Display of skills and mindset your ancestors had?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What the heck does it have to do with history?  I need to cancel my service...

A hell of a lot more than half of the other trash they play.

Display of skills and mindset your ancestors had?

It really has nothing to do with history at any point in the show.  It's a great show, don't get me wrong, but it's probably the least historically minded show on that network right now.  At least most of the reality shows try to tie in a bit of historical facts so they can meet a quota or something.  

The History Channel really is the biggest entertainment failure in the past 30yrs.  

I'd love to see a documentary on 1700-1800 trappers, and to satisfy the reality show mindset, have some guys try to live like they did with their exact type of equipment.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I watched last year and will again this year. I agree though Alan is the man. I was pulling for him from the start from last year.

It's awesome they got him narrate the opener. I hope he does the whole season. He's got the voice for it.

I'm not very impressed with this years crop either, but I think Mary Kate might do well.
View Quote

I'm afraid she's going to bow out in order to get back to her kids.  Plus she doesn't have an inch of fat on her.  If she goes a day or two without food she'll be f-ed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#10]
its reality tv. there is a plot. there is a chosen winner.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm afraid she's going to bow out in order to get back to her kids.  Plus she doesn't have an inch of fat on her.  If she goes a day or two without food she'll be f-ed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm basically picking her as top female. ETA and I think she'll beat a few of the guys too.

Nicole's health issues and "healthy living" lifestyle will probably be her downfall, and I just can't see Tracy "The Social Experiment" Wilson making it for multiple reasons. TWO of her items were emergency rations, and I don't know how she's going to take to missing a bunch of meals (and I say that as a fat.)
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't see hormone pills on the approved list. How long until "Tracy" has to start braiding "her" beard?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd love for you to meet Alan face to face and explain how he was chosen and that he didn't earn that win by besting all the rest and staying out there 56 days.

Have you watched the show?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Incipient mental illness is a motherfucker when you're by yourself in the woods.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty sure they sought out a transgender person.

Pretty sure that person got a spot ahead of someone more qualified because of their "status"

Kind of taints their selection process, for me.

LMAO if you think they just auditioned hundreds or thousands of people and took the 10 most qualified people.

You can't be that naive....right?

What if you are schizophrenic?

You could keep yourself company.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'd love for you to meet Alan face to face and explain how he was chosen and that he didn't earn that win by besting all the rest and staying out there 56 days.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not just saying it to say it RR. Alone is scripted which does not take away from anyone's skills. Enjoy the show.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm not just saying it to say it RR. Alone is scripted which does not take away from anyone's skills. Enjoy the show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, vague references to being an "insider" huh. Always one of those guys on GD.

First 48 is my favorite reality TV show. . . . Only problem is if they let you read the script, they'd have to kill you
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So the guys that quit after 3 days that lost the vast majority of online credibility they had are all lying?

A lot of these guys are well know internet personalities. Are you aware of that?

http://youtu.be/uy5GcbM8A6M
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the guys that quit after 3 days that lost the vast majority of online credibility they had are all lying?

A lot of these guys are well know internet personalities. Are you aware of that?

Its very ironic you posted that video... There is more to that story too
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

lol, vague references to being an "insider" huh. Always one of those guys on GD.

First 48 is my favorite reality TV show. . . . Only problem is if they let you read the script, they'd have to kill you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is me leaving then. All good :)
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you had my curiosity, but now you have my attention
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't that convenient.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like History already ordered Season 3. And they're moving localities.

Filming begins in Patagonia, South America next month.

Jeez. I guess they want to move things along a little quicker.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Isn't that convenient.
View Quote

If you think Robinet would lose a fire steel on a few days in...and then on top of that quit...

Anyway I don't want to shit any more on your non-fiction reality show called Alone on History Channel. It is an entertaining show and these guys and gals they pull definitely know their stuff
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Im looking forward to watching  tonight.  I thought the first episode gave a lot of insight into who the contenders might be.  
Jose and Randy are my early picks.    

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#25]
<-- PRINCE POST PARTY LIKE ITS 1999
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you think Robinet would lose a fire steel on a few days in...and then on top of that quit...

Anyway I don't want to shit any more on your non-fiction reality show called Alone on History Channel. It is an entertaining show and these guys and gals they pull definitely know their stuff
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't that convenient.

To spout off with vague implications and then not give any specifics is .

Either lay out something concrete about how it's "scripted" or you're just blowin' smoke.

I would certainly allow something like the crew dumped a few water bottles in the surf as they left Alan's camp. Totally plausible. But "scripted" implies "You do/say this. He'll say/do that. You'll quit on this day. We'll let Alan win cause he's the funniest".

Yeah. No. There's a half million dollars on the line. There was a TV show that got caught rigging where the money went. It was a bit of a shit storm. Don't think History channel would risk being in the thick of something like that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Im looking forward to watching  tonight.  I thought the first episode gave a lot of insight into who the contenders might be.  

http://i66.tinypic.com/2ptq7gw.png

View Quote

I'm picking Randy, for now, unless he's full of shit. His choices were sound. He's the only one who chose a real saw.

Jose picked a multi tool. And his saw looked retarded. But, his listed experiences looks pretty good. So...Maybe I'll learn something you can do in the woods with a multi tool and a retarded saw.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Either lay out something concrete about how it's "scripted" or you're just blowin' smoke.

I would certainly allow something like the crew dumped a few water bottles in the surf as they left Alan's camp. Totally plausible. But "scripted" implies "You do/say this. He'll say/do that. You'll quit on this day. We'll let Alan win cause he's the funniest".

Yeah. No. There's a half million dollars on the line. There was a TV show that got caught rigging where the money went. It was a bit of a shit storm. Don't think History channel would risk being in the thick of something like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't that convenient.

He's angry I made a joke about "First 48" being scripted.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What would be the point of scripting it? Why choose a winner before it begins? I fail to see how that does anything but diminish the product.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
<-- PRINCE POST PARTY LIKE ITS 1999
View Quote

That's quite the ironic post for today
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't that convenient.

I do because he did.  Simple as that.  Like I said earlier, some guys walk the walk, some only talk the talk.  

I'm glad this show has come along to illustrate just because someone has a YouTube channel doesn't mean they're the real thing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm picking Randy, for now, unless he's full of shit. His choices were sound. He's the only one who chose a real saw.

Jose picked a multi tool. And his saw looked retarded. But, his listed experiences looks pretty good. So...Maybe I'll learn something you can do in the woods with a multi tool and a retarded saw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with you on the saw choices.  I don't know why so many people are taking these wimpy little saws.  Unless there is a requirement that all your gear fit within a certain volume (and I haven't seen anything to support this), why take a compact saw?

Aside from the initial set up and perhaps a camp change, no one will be moving all or even most of their gear at one time.  So why go compact when you can have a saw that performs better?  

Same thing with pots.  Why have a small, lightweight pot when you can have a heavy duty one?

Ultralight and compact gear are great for when you're carrying on your back for the better part of every day, but Alone is about living in a basecamp.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is the saw I would want.

http://youtu.be/_KryxktLOqE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the saw I would want.

http://youtu.be/_KryxktLOqE

I don't want anything folding where space and weight are no factor and durability and performance are everything.

The "cut on pull" saws can be very impressive. We abandoned the Svea take down saws for these Corona saws, available at Lowes. The flat out cut, for their size. Very impressive.

The saw in your video was impressive, too. But you saw, as he started the forward stroke several times the saw hung up. One less than careful incident and you fold that puppy.

This one is very close to the one I use. I like the double cutters/ one raker style as opposed to the no raker style that Randy chose. Works more efficiently on green and soft woods which is what you build with. Cuts on both strokes and you really have to try to destroy one. Teeth are far enough apart to get a rock in there to touch it up if need be. Can't do that with the dragon teeth of the cut on pull styles. Got 10 more inches of stroke, too.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I do because he did.  Simple as that.  Like I said earlier, some guys walk the walk, some only talk the talk.  

I'm glad this show has come along to illustrate just because someone has a YouTube channel doesn't mean they're the real thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't that convenient.

It's the UFC of Bushcrafting!!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Yea some odd saw choices. I'm sure the weather wont get that cold but I broke my brand new Silky big boy in the Sierras this past winter. Snapped clean at the start of the blade. I should have warmed it up inside my jacket. nothing but Bahcos now and bow/buck saws
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Haven't done any research as to where they are this year and so on. I really don't know anything other than it is on tonight. Going to grab a beer and enjoy the show. Sounds like there's some poor contestants though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yea some odd saw choices. I'm sure the weather wont get that cold but I broke my brand new Silky big boy in the Sierras this past winter. Snapped clean at the start of the blade. I should have warmed it up inside my jacket. nothing but Bahcos now and bow/buck saws
View Quote

I've got a bacho Laplander. I think I like the corona better. Ten bucks cheaper, too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Have we figured out how far they can travel?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I've got a bacho Laplander. I think I like the corona better. Ten bucks cheaper, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got another friend who swears by the corona saws. though both saws seem to be around $18-$24? either way its def better than chopping
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#42]
hey bear
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Maybe I got scrwed on the bacho. I think it was 30. Corona is 20.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Maybe it's been mentioned, maybe I'm just an asshole (or both) but Tracy doesn't exactly look like she can walk up a large flight of steps unassisted none the less survive in the woods.

If she surprised me I'd gladly eat crow, but it seems borderline irresponsible to include her based on her physical appearance.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Maybe it's been mentioned, maybe I'm just an asshole (or both) but Tracy doesn't exactly look like she can walk up a large flight of steps unassisted none the less survive in the woods.

If she surprised me I'd gladly eat crow, but it seems borderline irresponsible to include her based on her physical appearance.
View Quote

Agree. I knew a couple husky gals who'd surprise you. I don't think she's one.

I still am not sure if she's a butch lesbian or a shemale who identifies as a butch lesbian.

I do feel for truly intesexed people. Might be the case. Hope she finds what she appears to be looking for out there
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I posted a thread about the season opener last week, where they showed the selection process and the training they went through. Alan was the narrator.

Nobody cared.

Me? I love the show.

ETA: you're right about this years crop though. Looks like a bunch of idiots.
View Quote

I missed that but think it is on again tonight at 8. Alone: Making the Cut?

Good thing I saw this thread. I checked my DVR and someone erased Alone from the list.

I don't watch live TV anymore. If it's not on the DVR I pause it and go do something else for awhile. I have to be able to fast forward through the commercials.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#47]
OP,

Thanks for this thread.....and for bringing this show to my attention. My family and I will be checking it out.

If you don't mind, please give me your opinion on something.

You criticized those who chose emergency rations. I agreed with your criticism.....that is, until I saw the contestant videos explaining some of their choices.

Because it might take you a while to get squared away in your new surroundings, wouldn't it make sense to have food energy initially?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
hey bear
View Quote

HEY BEAR!!! HEY!!!! HEY!!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I do feel for truly intesexed people.
View Quote

+1 its gotta be a fucked up lot to draw in life
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#50]
About the women. They picked a woman to be on the first season but couldn't get ahold of her so she lost her spot. She was out on one of those long hikes or something. I wonder if she got a second chance and is one of the 3 this season.
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top