Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 28
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I love the show, but dropping nine people in the forest and one at Golden Corral is kinda disappointing.  I do hope the producers weren't stacking the deck to try and influence the outcome.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love the show, but dropping nine people in the forest and one at Golden Corral is kinda disappointing.  I do hope the producers weren't stacking the deck to try and influence the outcome.
View Quote

Except this "Golden Corral" as you called it, has a resident family of black bears living nearby.

Fear of bears has caused at least 1 person to tap out before.

How long before those bears get inquisitive enough to visit her campsite will remain to be seen.

I'm rooting for her.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not sure that's really an appropriate description of the woman's location. I'd wager that if other contestants had that site:

- The first guy would have quit at the first sight of a bear
- The angry pastor would still be looking for food
- The other angry guy would still be spinning his wheels and looking for a camp site
- Barbara guy would have still quit

Jose would be just fine doing his thing, whatever it is he's doing.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm not sure that's really an appropriate description of the woman's location. I'd wager that if other contestants had that site:

- The other angry guy would still be spinning his wheels and looking for a camp site

Jose would have a nice cabin, a years supply of food, and some sort of primitive X-box console
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jose would have a nice cabin, a years supply of food, and some sort of primitive X-box console

FIFY
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most any of the other contestants would have either quit or shit their pants at the thought of having neighborly bears that close.  We already know for 100% certain that at least one of them has gone home for this reason.  

We also know that Nicole picked the correct net and had the knowledge to know where to put it.  She has shown that she could survive on other food sources as well.  

If packing the deck includes bears, sure, the deck was packed.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#6]
beaten by Rio-LOVER.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I work with a guy we call Effing Larry.

I think Larry on here is kin folk, I'll call him Effin Larry
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#8]
OST
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Most any of the other contestants would have either quit or shit their pants at the thought of having neighborly bears that close.  We already know for 100% certain that at least one of them has gone home for this reason.  

We also know that Nicole picked the correct net and had the knowledge to know where to put it.  She has shown that she could survive on other food sources as well.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget Tammy who feared she'd become a bear if she had another interaction.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Don't forget Tracy who feared she'd become a bear if she had another interaction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget Tracy who feared she'd become a bear if she had another interaction.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought that Justin's rendition of the National Anthem was pretty damned good, especially in light of the recent viral video from the Capital.

I wonder if the recent dropouts were second-guessing their reason to tap out once they returned to the staging area and found out that Nicole was still in the contest?  I'd be interested to see if that is addressed in the wrap-up episode.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I thought that Justin's rendition of the National Anthem was pretty damned good, especially in light of the recent viral video from the Capital.

I wonder if the recent dropouts were second-guessing their reason to tap out once they returned to the staging area and found out that Nicole was still in the contest?  I'd be interested to see if that is addressed in the wrap-up episode.
View Quote

Why would they?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Why would they?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would they?

Mostly, a blow to their manhood to be beaten by an unsuspecting, frail-appearing female. Boredom as an excuse could give way to embarassment.  Sort of like the guy from last season who stated he was just thankful he wasn't the first one to tap out.  Only this time' it's being beat by the only small woman on the show when you know you didn't give 100%.

It's just an obsevation about perception, not reality.  Nicole may end up beating them all.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been hoping Mother Fucking Larry stumbles into Nicole's camp.  The show needs some comedy.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was a fan of the last series "Alone" on the History channel. The man who won deserved it in spades. Alan was a Woodsman's woodsman. My hat's off to him.

The current crop for Alone, Season 2 looks...not so good. That's just going on a cursory examination of their dossier, but moreso their choice of 10 items.

I gather and assume that there are a few things that are not counted against them on their 10 items. A tarp being chief among them. A pack, is obvious. Camera gear goes without saying, according to the necessities of the style of production. (they self film).

There are 2.5 women. No, 3 but one sure appears to be a switch hitter. Has a nice fat reserve built up and is familiar with flannel.

Flying by the seat of my pants, only 3 have chosen a tarp as one of their choices. More than one have chosen 2 "emergency rations". IMHO, if you cant feed yourself, you've already lost. I guess the strategy could be that you'd outlast the others on that modest amount of extra food. One female AK native chose pemmican which looked to be substantial. It would be a tempting choice to have a week's worth of food.

One fellow had the ubiquitous knife, axe, saw, but added a "multi function wood working tool"....WTF is that?

I will never understand choosing a folding or bow saw when presented the choice of a saw. A real x cut is the only choice.

Even a knife is suspect, when given the environment. A properly chosen axe can take care of most tasks. A flint chip in a wooden handle more than takes care of the detail work.

I was really hoping the last season would attract people who knew their shit.

I think I'll be disappointed with this season if for no other reason than the contestants had a previous season to learn from and it certainly appears from their choices that they didn't.  I hope I'm wrong.

Looks like they offer a contest where you pick the succession of drop outs. Maybe I'll print out a spread sheet and made some guesses.

List of contestants/gear
View Quote

This sounds like an interesting show. Can I get episodes on youtube or amazon prime?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Mostly, a blow to their manhood to be beaten by an unsuspecting, frail-appearing female. Boredom as an excuse could give way to embarassment.  Sort of like the guy from last season who stated he was just thankful he wasn't the first one to tap out.  Only this time' it's being beat by the only small woman on the show when you know you didn't give 100%.

It's just an obsevation about perception, not reality.  Nicole may end up beating them all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would they?

i hope so!
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This sounds like an interesting show. Can I get episodes on youtube or amazon prime?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was a fan of the last series "Alone" on the History channel. The man who won deserved it in spades. Alan was a Woodsman's woodsman. My hat's off to him.

The current crop for Alone, Season 2 looks...not so good. That's just going on a cursory examination of their dossier, but moreso their choice of 10 items.

I gather and assume that there are a few things that are not counted against them on their 10 items. A tarp being chief among them. A pack, is obvious. Camera gear goes without saying, according to the necessities of the style of production. (they self film).

There are 2.5 women. No, 3 but one sure appears to be a switch hitter. Has a nice fat reserve built up and is familiar with flannel.

Flying by the seat of my pants, only 3 have chosen a tarp as one of their choices. More than one have chosen 2 "emergency rations". IMHO, if you cant feed yourself, you've already lost. I guess the strategy could be that you'd outlast the others on that modest amount of extra food. One female AK native chose pemmican which looked to be substantial. It would be a tempting choice to have a week's worth of food.

One fellow had the ubiquitous knife, axe, saw, but added a "multi function wood working tool"....WTF is that?

I will never understand choosing a folding or bow saw when presented the choice of a saw. A real x cut is the only choice.

Even a knife is suspect, when given the environment. A properly chosen axe can take care of most tasks. A flint chip in a wooden handle more than takes care of the detail work.

I was really hoping the last season would attract people who knew their shit.

I think I'll be disappointed with this season if for no other reason than the contestants had a previous season to learn from and it certainly appears from their choices that they didn't.  I hope I'm wrong.

Looks like they offer a contest where you pick the succession of drop outs. Maybe I'll print out a spread sheet and made some guesses.

List of contestants/gear

I think they're available on the History Channel website for streaming.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not to derail the thread, but what video?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:39:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Oops!  My bad.  It was the Lincoln Memorial.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/video/tourist-sings-incredible-rendition-of-star-spangled-banner-at-lincoln-memorial/vi-AAhGsbO

Some may like it, but for me, the ending was unbearable.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I wonder what seals would taste like
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 6:51:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've been hoping Mother Fucking Larry stumbles into Nicole's camp.  The show needs some comedy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 6:52:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

You want me to make a harpoon cause this is why harpoons get made.  

Seals are assholes.

Looks like OP's prediction is going to get shattered big time.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm hoping that Larry is looking out over the water one morning as Jose goes scooting by in his kayak.

They'll have to just bleep out the rest of the episode.

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Seals are assholes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seals are assholes.

I would be happy if it did.

They have had the huge benefit of starting earlier in the season. And I think that affects a lot more than just food and ease of survival. Being in the rain and gloom, trapped in your shelter will speed up the process of the psychological game. Being in the sun, having food and the ability to remain busy makes being alone (as well as just the making a living part) much more tolerable.

That is not to take away one smidge of the skill and knowledge displayed by these competitors.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 8:42:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Winter's a comin'.

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm hoping that Larry is looking out over the water one morning as Jose goes scooting by in his kayak.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He'd be mumbling about it for days. Every other sentence.

"Well, I've caught some fish today and they should go well with the mice I have smoking back at camp [probably fucking suck compared to whatever the fuck Kayak Boy has back at his goddamn camp.] We'll get this fire going. The fish are already cleaned as you can see [Yeah. I'd like to fucking smash these fish guts in Jose the Kayak Boy's  fucking face. Mother fucker paddle by my camp. Fucking Fuck] Now you can see, the fish are a nice golden brown"
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#28]
The missionary dude looks exactly like my brother.  They could be twins.

Damn freaky.

Time to take some seals to the club.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Winter is Coming!

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pre season episode showed then drawing random numbers for location picks.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Winter is Coming!

View Quote

They have been on vacation compared to the weather in Season One.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They could have dropped Mother Fucking Larry in Nicole's spot and he still would have been mad at the world and struggling.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Winter is Coming!

I wonder if that was an intentional decision to start earlier or just luck.

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Winter is Coming!

I was thinking that too. I'm not too sure any of these people would be left with that much rain.
Losing the fishing gear is inexcusable
Seal meet rock, Sealrock
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Winter is Coming!

I think it would be a two edged sword. You increase the chance of a much longer season (with increasing costs, necessarily) but you gain a lot more "happy" footage and dispense with a lot of the "I'm stuck in this miserable, rainy, tent, Oh woe is me" footage.

A similar thing evolved in the early Survivor seasons. They realized that watching 16 people starve and dehydrate to death was much less entertaining than a group with at least minimal food and water enough to keep them mentally engaged.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I was thinking that too. I'm not too sure any of these people would be left with that much rain.
Seal meet rock, Sealrock
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Winter is Coming!

Seal meet rock, Sealrock

From what I hear, seals are pretty nasty fare.

Not sayin' I wouldn't have tried it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fact that they drew "numbers" is what opens the door to the possibility.  There could have been GPS coordinates instead of the numbers 1-10.  It adds a layer of obfuscation.  We can't know for sure that the numbers corresponded to unchanging specific sites before and after the drawing.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The fact that they drew "numbers" is what opens the door to the possibility.  There could have been GPS coordinates instead of the numbers 1-10.  It adds a layer of obfuscation.  We can't know for sure that the numbers corresponded to unchanging specific sites before and after the drawing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that would be a pretty big fiasco if someone like Fuckin' Larry found out that Nicole was purposefully given the sweet spot. That would be a big chance for the producers to take.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Winter's a comin'.
View Quote

Larry and Jose shouldn't have problems with cold considering where they live. Let's see if Larry can pull off what he teaches on YT.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Winter is Coming!

View Quote

that's a different show
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#41]
I just get this vibe that Larry views his life as so miserable he will stay in this for the money to change it unless he starts fearing death then he'll tap.

Nicole seems to be up against a wall now.

Jose may be approaching starvation based on the next week clip.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#42]
How many more episodes are left in this years show ?
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Evidently I was wrong about seal being bad to eat. Did a little research and apparently it's very lean and delicious.

Seal hunting is very controlled, though, so I'm not sure if Nicole would have the OK to harvest one. That would be very frustrating to have a predator taking your food and not be allowed to do anything about it.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Evidently I was wrong about seal being bad to eat. Did a little research and apparently it's very lean and delicious.

Seal hunting is very controlled, though, so I'm not sure if Nicole would have the OK to harvest one. That would be very frustrating to have a predator taking your food and not be allowed to do anything about it.

View Quote

Pretty sure History wouldn't want to show a cute seal, otter, or bear cub turning on a spit.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

I keep saying...she needs to kill those fucking seals. Tons of food...and would help keep her food supply open.

Really amazed she's still around...resilient little wench.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol...Larry walking through the woods in the earl episodes...I just looked at my wife...laughed...yeah...that'd be me "motherfuckinggoddamnedfuckingbranch!"

Link Posted: 7/3/2016 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#47]
The editing must be way out of wack. Timeline wise. Everytime they show David it is dark, dreary, wet, and cold. Nicole's camp is, most of the time, sunny and spring looking. Sure doesn't look like they are only a few miles apart at exactly the same day and time.

I caught some bad editing in the last episode. The "scene" where Nicole was moving her net. Every other shot she was wearing leg gators, the others just her boots. Definitely mixing separate occasions.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

By throwing rocks at it, I didn't mean to kill and eat it, just to shoo it away
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#49]
David makes too many dumb mistakes.

He threw his heavy line in the water then instead of trying to fish it out with his fishing pole which was right there, he decided to climb down to the waters edge even though the line was out of his reach.

Then he slipped in.

If I couldn't snag it with the fishing pole I would of stripped down to my underwear and went in the water after it.

Even if it was 50 degree water I would of been out in a minute, had dry clothes waiting there for me, and I would of saved the heavy line.

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I keep saying...she needs to kill those fucking seals. Tons of food...and would help keep her food supply open.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would that be?  She is killing it  for finding food.

Kind of a bullshit thing to say.

I would be eating seal off camera.   Every time you harvest one the camera just happens to be off.
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top