Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/10/2016 9:44:08 PM EDT
Say you get in a car accident or pass out somewhere wearing a gun, what happens to it if you're being loaded into an ambulance and go to the emergency room? I always wondered. Is there a standard protocol for the EMTs?
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#1]
It gets turned over to law enforcement if its found before leaving the accident scene
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't that why we're supposed to carry Glocks?  
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
They handed mine off to hospital security. I got it back when I checked out of the E.R. No trouble at all.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The officer on scene at my accident unloaded it and put it in my backpack.  Transported it in the ambulance and to the er, everyone that knew was cool about it

This was Oklahoma fwiw
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They handed mine off to hospital security. I got it back when I checked out of the E.R. No trouble at all.
View Quote

Did they just take it out of your holster?
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#6]
They use it to fend off ATV gangs.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#7]
It was locked up in my gym bag in the trunk of my car the one time I rode to the ER.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends where in Florida you pass out and if your alone, if your by yourself and in a bad neighborhood. You can expect to arrive at the hospital without your gun, watch, wallet and anything else of value.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#9]
If they're doing their exams right, they should find it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:54:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It gets turned over to law enforcement if its found before leaving the accident scene
View Quote

This has been the policy where I've worked as well; either that or if they have a family member or friend on scene that they want it given to I've done that as well (with law enforcement's knowledge).  Sometimes the police will unload it and hand it over to hospital security to give back, other times I've heard them tell the person they could come pick it up at the police department when they were released from the hospital.  Of course when I was in an accident the EMS supervisor just stuck mine in my daypack and brought it to me at the hospital.  Technically illegal but I knew most of the ER staff as well as the sheriff's deputy who was first on scene and the trooper who worked the scene.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#11]
If they were local we would have them unload it, a supervisor would take to station and put it in a safe for them to come get when they got out. That was a long time ago.

Now we have empty gun cases on the truck. If LEO isn't around or refuses to take it for whatever reason, we have them unload and lock in gun case which is locked in a cabinet. Turn over to hospital security and they lock it a case/cabinet there.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#12]
In my case the officer responding to the accident took possession of if. After the interview in the hospital regarding the accident the officer turned it over to my dad (who met me and my wife at the hospital) who gave it back to me when we all got home. No trouble at all.

ETA: That particular event happened in Florida (Daytona Beach).
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ask me how I know that you aren't in Connecticut.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

The LE at the scene took custody of it, followed us to the ER and turned it in to hospital security to place in their safe. Got it back when discharged, no problem.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#15]
If its my scene I secure it in my trunk in my rifle case and give it back to you when you are released from the hospital or give it to a family member of yours if I can get them on scene.
Worse case, its put in evidence and you get with the evidence tech to get it out when youre upright again.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I gave it to the medic, and told him to have security hold it for me. I was banged up in a crash, but not unconscious.

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Did you forget to take your crazy pills again?
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#18]
The police took it in Florida. The cop unloaded it in front of me and explained every step of what he did. He put it in an evidence bag and gave me a business card with a file number on it. He told me I could pick it up the next day if I felt up to it. I'd just broken my collarbone and I left it there for a week. The officer at the scene and the officer who released it were totally professional.

You can't bring a gun into a hospital in Florida, so they had to take it after I told them that I had it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#19]
We don't have a policy, but in the past I've turned them over to LE.  If for some reason we found it enroute, I'd turn it over to hospital security who have a safe for such occurances.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#20]
gets sold on EE
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
This is the correct answer.

Hospitals have special trained staff in place to deal with this. Every time a patient comes in, there is security there and they stay with the patient while they are being stripped. All valuables, including knives and guns, wallets, keys... Everything...is taken by security, made safe and bagged and stored in a safe locker. Security staff has the responsibility of keeping your items till u are discharged.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#23]
My wife's went into a property bag and was returned with her other stuff when she left the hospital
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Some departments will take it to their property storage and hold it until you come get it.

Around here the medics usually just have is clear it then they hand it off to hospital security once they get there.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is correct in my A.O.

If a weapon is found LE is notified and the weapon is turned over to them. I will remove a firearm from an unresponsive patient if discovered and secure it till LE arrives. Nobody wants the legal liability of holding it for you and returning it. No idea what the cops do with them afterwards. I'm assuming it's returned after they verify you were in legal possession of it.

Only happened a few times to me. One was a convicted felon with an active warrant, one was off duty LE who was recognized by the state trooper who showed up to take the accident report and the other was I'm assuming a valid CCP holder.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#26]
My Dad died in the driveway when mom and her friend were out of town.said friends husband is good friends with the sheriff. He gave it to him at mom's request.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 10:53:04 PM EDT
[#27]
We have a lockbox in the ambulance we put it in. Depending on situation we turn it over to LE or hospital security for safe keeping.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't know about other places, but in the Portland Metro area we clear the gun and hand it over to hospital security to hold it until you're released. I only had to do it 5 or 6 times for patients, once with a $40k shotgun that the owner REALLY didn't want sitting in an evidence locker of even a second.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:15:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We have a lockbox in the ambulance we put it in. Depending on situation we turn it over to LE or hospital security for safe keeping.
View Quote

This is how it was where I worked from 02-08
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:16:42 PM EDT
[#31]
I slipped mine into my wife's purse before the medics arrived on scene.

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Pd gets it
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I would refuse treatment if they wanted to take my gun, even if I'm bleeding out.

Why the fuck would you care? If EMS is having to roll you up then it's not a problem.

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#34]
It was wrapped in what was left of my riding jacket along with holster and mag carrier and put in a plastic bag. It rode with me in the ambulance (someone else had to carry it onboard because I was strapped down) and was placed in my room with me in the ER.

it stayed like that in the room with me until I was discharged.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.  If the cops aren't there and we need to get going it gets put in a locked compartment and we call to have the PD meet us at the ER.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:25:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I would refuse treatment if they wanted to take my gun, even if I'm bleeding out.

Why the fuck would you care? If EMS is having to roll you up then it's not a problem.

View Quote

I'm just trying to save you a felony since in Nebraska emergency rooms are prohibited places.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:30:19 PM EDT
[#37]
As a side note, if it is stashed out of sight in a wrecked car and the driver doesn't (or can't) let the folks on the scene know, there's a good chance it's going with the wrecker to the yard.  

I have been in hundreds of such cars (as a FF), but usually that's just to make sure they are turned off and won't roll away (standard put in gear with emergency break or automatic put in park).  We don't search the car.  Obvious valuables, like a purse, would get tossed in the ambulance with the patient, but I am not finding your Glock hidden under the seat.  And I have never seen a LEO search a vehicle thoroughly before the wrecker takes it....at least one that was just in a simple MVA (instead of a chase).
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:32:37 PM EDT
[#38]
An old timer at the hospital told me he went to place a foley cath in a guy who was passed out in the ER. Pulled down his pants and found a .25acp auto stuffed in his undies.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:35:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm just trying to save you a felony since in Nebraska emergency rooms are prohibited places.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if you're conscious and oriented, how must declare you're carrying when in contact with police or emergency medical.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have all the second amendment rights you want, feel free to die if you don't want help.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You have all the second amendment rights you want, feel free to die if you don't want help.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  Sign here and I wish you the best.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes good point. I have been a paramedic for a decade and have yet to see a legit medical condition affect a patient's mental status and cause them to act irrationally after we initially make contact with them
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:43:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Take a chill pill. I wouldn't care if they took my gun, was just interested in the procedure
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:.

You can't bring a gun into a hospital in Florida
View Quote

Not true. But am glad they were professional.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Depends on injuries. If it's just transport for eval and release, then it usually sits in the back of the cruiser and is returned when the owner leaves the hospital. If the person is going to be in the hospital for some time, we'll put it in the property room and make arrangements with the owner or owner's family to get it back to the owner. If the owner has someone come get it at the scene, it helps a lot. Yeah, we check to see if it's stolen through NCIC. We also document how we came into possession of it and if it was stored/ returned. Beyond that, no shits really given.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And if you're conscious and oriented, how must declare you're carrying when in contact with police or emergency medical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

great, the ride is going to cost more than three gun. This has come up before and there were more than a few muh rights guys chiming in
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:56:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Take a chill pill. I wouldn't care if they took my gun, was just interested in the procedure
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The point is it doesn't matter. Your life is worth the possible loss
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Depends on injuries. If it's just transport for eval and release, then it usually sits in the back of the cruiser and is returned when the owner leaves the hospital. If the person is going to be in the hospital for some time, we'll put it in the property room and make arrangements with the owner or owner's family to get it back to the owner. If the owner has someone come get it at the scene, it helps a lot. Yeah, we check to see if it's stolen through NCIC. We also document how we came into possession of it and if it was stored/ returned. Beyond that, no shits really given.
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:59:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Hospitals have special trained staff in place to deal with this. Every time a patient comes in, there is security there and they stay with the patient while they are being stripped. All valuables, including knives and guns, wallets, keys... Everything...is taken by security, made safe and bagged and stored in a safe locker. Security staff has the responsibility of keeping your items till u are discharged.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahahah... no...

If you are lucky you will have someone in the room who knows which end is the business end and will remove the magazine and clear the chamber (usually throw a 3cc syringe into the slide so it can't lock). Police are then called and your firearm is taken by them. Hospitals don't want responsibilities for wallets and bags, never mind the liability on a firearm that is in a plastic tote bin in a catalog room staffed by slightly above minimum wage lackeys.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top