Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2016 7:02:43 AM EDT
We have had DirectTV for a few years with no problems, except for the cost.

Two days ago a technician came out and upgraded all of our boxes, 3 of them, and installed a new "better" dish. We called and asked for the upgrade and he said he was surprised our boxes were even still working.

He ended up having to mount the new dish on to the roof of the house. The original was not. There are no wires near where he was drilling so I'm pretty sure he didn't hit anything.

The next day our wireless Internet went down the toilet. All tablets, laptops and phones are either locking up or working VERY slow.

I was planning on calling the technician later today to check but wanted to see if there was anything particular I needed to ask him.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:11:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably unrelated.  I'd call your Internet company.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:22:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Reset your internet box. If that doesn't fix it, call provider as suggested above.

Never understood why people let dish installers mount them on their roof and put holes in it. [unless there truly isn't anywhere else to put it.]
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:30:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Did they give you Genie's? I know they send out their own Wifi. While it shouldn't kill you signal, it could cause confusion, had the same issue with Amazon and Google Cast.

No way would it interfere with a hardline Internet into the house though.

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:35:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Make sure all the fittings are tight on the back on the converter boxes.  It doesn't hurt to GENTLY snug them with a 7/16.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:38:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a similar problem with the hopper. It was chewing up my bandwidth so I unplugged it and ran a speed test. Plugged it back in and waited a little and re ran the test. It used my wifi to allow streaming onto devices.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:54:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did they give you Genie's? I know they send out their own Wifi. While it shouldn't kill you signal, it could cause confusion, had the same issue with Amazon and Google Cast.

No way would it interfere with a hardline Internet into the house though.

View Quote

They are, well at least one of them is a Genie.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#8]
New equipment might be creating more RF noise.

Someone moving stuff around may have bumped something or moved wires around.

Hard to tell without lots more details, but here are some general rules:

- DO NOT put your router on anything warm

- DO NOT put your router where it gets direct sunlight

- DO NOT block the air vents, or encase it in a cabinet somewhere

- DO NOT let the data cables that go to it get near electrical power leads, power strips, wall-warts or anything like that

- IF you have to cross wires, do it perpendicular, and do not go parallel

- DO NOT run data and electrical wires together, distance is good, distance plus not in the same direction is better

- DO make sure the antennas (if any) are perpendicular to your expected wi-fi using locations.  Do not POINT it at your device but point it at 90 degrees to where your device is

- DO NOT let the cat warm it's butt on the router, or let pet hair or anything else build up

- DO reset the router and cable modem periodically by removing electrical power for a few seconds

Chances are, the installer guy dropped the router right on top of a power strip with three wall warts on it and now you are getting messed up transmissions from it because it's too hot, or it's getting interference directly applied to the circuit board / cpu.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:00:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't know about your Internet, but they fried all my tvs and left burn marks on my other equipment.  FDTV.
View Quote

Details - Please?
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#10]
troubleshooting it isnt that hard.

step 1: test internet speed
step 2: unplug all direct TV receivers and amps
step 3: test internet

if there is a big difference, you found your problem.
If there is not a big difference, you still found your problem (call your ISP)
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:33:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Completely different frequencies between any Dish equipment and your wireless equipment.  Assuming you only have TV service through them,  the TV boxes shouldn't be broadcasting any signal at all and the signal that the satellite is sending down would be there even if you didn't have a dish to pick it up.  

Do you have anything hard wired to your internet network?  How are the speeds on that?

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Genies aren't wireless unless you got the wireless one. Most likely the tech loosened or unhooked your cable line and jacked it all up.  Reboot your router and check your lines to it.  Without a wireless genie the signal is sent through the coax cable to the other genies.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:39:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Called the technician and he said to unplug the modem, and then plug it back in.

As of now everything is back to working correctly and smoothly.

I had shut it down yesterday for a couple of minutes but I guess that's not the same as unplugging it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Called the technician and he said to unplug the modem, and then plug it back in.

As of now everything is back to working correctly and smoothly.

I had shut it down yesterday for a couple of minutes but I guess that's not the same as unplugging it.
View Quote

Just by you calling a day after got that tech dinged, so he'll hear about it.  I worked for DirecTV briefly, worst company ever to work for, but their product is nice, their business model sucks on the installer side though.
Top Top