Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/23/2016 9:17:06 PM EDT
The king size mattress I have is shot.....I don't know how old it is, but it's so bad that I'm starting to have back pain in the morning....and I think it's because of the worn out mattress.  It's not flat any more.....it's all dished in the center. I think I sleep better in a tent on the hard ground.

I would like to get something nice to replace it with that will last a long time, but not break the bank.  Is there such a thing? Can you get a good deal on a mattress online, or am I stuck going to a mattress shop?

Any info would be great!!

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#1]
If you buy an inner spring, buy a double sided matress.  Single sided are pieces of shit and don't last very long.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Foam mattress if you just like to sleep in your bed.  Spring if you like to do other things than sleep on your bed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Sleep number, had a tempur pedic, sold it. Got a sleep number last spring. Get the air mattress.  Expensive, worth it.  I've always been a poor sleeper.  I'm 46 now, never slept better.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Good luck trying to comparison shop. Most of the stores have the same stuff but they are all labeled with different names
to prevent shoppers from comparing prices.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sleep number, had a tempur pedic, sold it. Got a sleep number last spring. Get the air mattress.  Expensive, worth it.  I've always been a poor sleeper.  I'm 46 now, never slept better.
View Quote

Aren't those sleep number mattresses something like $5000+  ?
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Macy's has better pricing than I thought they would.  Mattress stores play a game where the same mattress will have 5 different names depending on which store sells it.  Do your homework but be ready for $1,300-$1,700 for a normal mattress. Mine was $1,700 with box and frame during the post Christmas sale.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Came here to suggest these - absolutely LOVE ours.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Wife and I got a nest bedding hybrid a couple months ago and it's awesome.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#10]
It depends.

Are you old, fat with weak muscles and a bad back?

Then you should get a really good mattress.

If your young,thin and have strong muscles, then you can sleep on the hard floor and feel good waking up.

In other words, you have to find the mattress that works for you and your body type.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#11]
2 things you should never cheat urself on, A top dollar matress and a pair of very comfortable work shoes, whether steel toes or not
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Had a similar problem, got one of these https://www.leesa.com

Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Third. I got free shipping too. YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Foam mattress if you just like to sleep in your bed.  Spring if you like to do other things than sleep on your bed.
View Quote

You know I've heard a lot of people say that but I freaking love my memory foam mattress. Maybe I'm doing it wrong....or everyone else is.

So no bullshit I bought a new memory foam queen bed off ebay for pretty damn cheap. Have had it for a few years with no issues and I'm kind of a mattress snob(worked at a furniture store for 4 years). Supposedly the company sells the over run of some factory that manufactures memory foam for a major brand.

Actually I think it might be like that one on Amazon except I got free shipping.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#15]
TAG

I need to get a new mattress for my 5 year old and ours is already 7 years old. We will get a new one once we move later this year.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

2 things you should never cheat urself on, A top dollar quality matress and a pair of very comfortable work shoes, whether steel toes or not
View Quote

Price paid and worth of the product are not synonymous....especially nowadays where mattresses are concerned.

There are some VERY good ones that are on the bottom of the affordability scale.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Ten dollar air mattress on ebay
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#18]
damn  double tap,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ten dollar air mattress on ebay
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#19]
If you are stuck between two or three different spring based mattresses in the same price range.  Go online and check the weight.  Buy the heaviest one.   This was advice I read from a mattress salesman.  Makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:55:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Bed In a Box
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Go with a highly rated foam mattress from Amazon. Over time i have replaced every mattress in the house with them. Inexpensive, comfy, and i sleep well on them.
P.S. I don't just sleep in my bed.. i have no issues with other activities.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#22]

I have something similar. Was pretty fucking awesome to have it shipped overnight for $1.99

You could check out Costco as well if you want to put eyes on it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Had a similar problem, got one of these https://www.leesa.com  
View Quote

I just ordered a Leesa on Saturday.  

Its due to arrive next Tuesday.

I had a sleep innovations for 5 years that worked fine, but now its not sleeping worth a damn.

I will post an AAR after I try the Leesa.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Curious if anyone has a Casper?
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Answer : Tuft & Needle
Had a broken back, love this mattress
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I sleep better on my stiffer 600 dollar mattress than my 3k softer mattress (heavenly).
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Order it from here

I ordered a mattress  and boxspring from them, and they delivered it, then took my old ones away.

I didn't check it, When I went to set it up, I saw they actually sent me a crazy expensive one by mistake. I called them up, and pointed out the mistake.

The problem was that they took my old one, so they just said open it up and sleep on it until the correct one arrives.

They called me the next day, and told me the arrival date of the mattress I original order, then told me to keep the other mattress too.

it was a 1600 queen-size beautyrest set with memory foam. FREE. The one I originally ordered is in my guest room.

Plus, their prices are really good.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Bed In a Box
View Quote

Would buy again in a heartbeat
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#29]
When I need a new mattress, I just take a drive into the ghetto. It's amazing. They have free ones just laying on the sidewalk every couple blocks!
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:22:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I just got a P5 Sleep Number and it was around $3,100.   I have not had a better night sleep in years.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:25:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Sealy Posturapedic !

I had a very firm one and it was ok, then got a  little softer Sealy, they make all kinds of models.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I just got a P5 Sleep Number and it was around $3,100.   I have not had a better night sleep in years.
View Quote

For that kind of money you had better sleep like a baby
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:36:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Part of me want's to get that mattress in a box from costco.... but then part of me says no, b/c it's too cheap, sounds too good to be true.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:39:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you buy an inner spring, buy a double sided matress.  Single sided are pieces of shit and don't last very long.
View Quote

Amen to that!!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought a floor model king size last year when they were switching to a new model.

Regularly like 1900 and it was 1100 delivered.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Curious if anyone has a Casper?
View Quote

I've had Casper about a year and wouldn't trade it for anything. I had a Leesa before that and didn't like it, too firm. I contacted Leesa during the trial and they sent Salvation Army to pick it up.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#37]
I needed a new mattress in a hurry for a visiting relative and bought this one on Amazon for about $400, thinking I would get rid of it without too much regret if it turned out to be junk.
Amazingly, it is really pretty nice.  Of course, we don't know when it will give out, but shit, for that kind of money I am a lot less picky.

It came in a box and I put it on the bed and stripped off the plastic (vacuum packed) cover.  Over the next few hours it relaxed and sort of blew up like a lifeboat, but was not smelly or needed airing, and it was ready to go that night.

Amazon Mattress
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

My 14" firm one has a divot in it
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bed In a Box

This.  There was a thread a while back when I was mattress shopping, researched it, and Fent.  I fucking love that bed.  I sleep like a rock on it.  I got the Tencel one which is a bit firmer.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#40]
I've got a King Size Simmons Beauty Rest high end latex foam topped inner spring single sided mattress. It's a little over 10 years old and still in good shape.  I spent $2400 on it.

Buying today, I'd probably get Sleep Number.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#41]
get a 3" talayay latex topper ($300-400 dreamfoam/brooklyn bedding) and put it on a Zinus 8" foam mattress $250). I just did this, its amazing. Both are on amazon.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#42]
US Mattress when they are running deals.  Go to slickdeals.com and type in US Mattress.  I purchased a new mattress around the beginning of the year and got Mattress Firm to price match them.  They also threw in the delivery and deducted the cost of sales tax from the purchase price to match.  I saved over $1000.

Link Posted: 3/23/2016 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Just go to a department store like Macy's.  Get a spring mattress not one of these trap-you-in-foam or silly air-mattresses.  And get the "box spring", it will hold your mattress up at the right height.  You don't have to go to a creepy mattress store where the wanna-be Trumpette deal makers will try to sell you some pile of crap for $4000.

Spend only about $1500 for a King and it will be plenty good.  Get rid of the mattress in 10 years, not 25.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#44]
We bought a latex mattress about a year ago and really like it. It's not as hot or temperature sensitive as a memory foam mattress and should last much longer than an innerspring. Extracurricular bedtime activities have not suffered.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

It depends.

Are you old, fat with weak muscles and a bad back?

Then you should get a really good mattress.

If your young,thin and have strong muscles, then you can sleep on the hard floor and feel good waking up.

In other words, you have to find the mattress that works for you and your body type.
View Quote

I'm old, fat, with weak muscles and a bad back and I sleep on the floor.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Return that bitch....lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#47]
I just bought a Kettner that feels REALLY good. $710 for mattress, box spring, and mattress pad/cover.

I also like sleeping on the floor. I've gotten some of my best sleep on all weather carpeting covering concrete.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#48]
I paid $1700 for my latex mattress.

Love it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#49]
I paid $1500.00 for a Sealy twin mattress 11 months ago.

The top layers are already compressed, making it feel like I'm laying in bowl.

When I sleep, I have to sleep on the edges of the mattress to get support.

Yes, I am bitter about this.

No, a lot of money doesn't necessarily buy you a better mattress.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Purple.   Best mattress I ever bought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN9ayoV1EXg

Delivered to your door.  3 month trial like Lesa

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top