Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/8/2016 11:12:49 PM EDT
Link

An NYPD Police Academy instructor has been stripped of her gun and shield for conducting slipshod CPR training on the class of recruits that included the officer convicted of manslaughter for fatally shooting Akai Gurley in a darkened stairwell of Brooklyn housing project, the Daily News has learned.

Officer Melissa Brown, who is assigned to the NYPD’s Recruit Training Section, was placed on modified duty Monday and is now restricted to administrative work, an NYPD spokesman confirmed Tuesday.

A police source confirmed that Brown was reassigned for conducting insufficient CPR training for cops in Officer Peter Liang’s 2013 recruit class.
View Quote

Landau claimed in court that he was incapable of performing CPR on the dying man because he hadn’t been properly trained.

He testified that he had received just two minutes of CPR training in the academy — and admitted he had never read the CPR textbooks. He said his academy instructor gave out almost all the answers to the CPR test.
View Quote

John Funk, another of Liang’s classmates at the academy, testified that his minimal CPR training was led by a single instructor for some 300 students. The class ran out of time before Funk was able to practice on one of the mannequins, he testified.
View Quote

While the recruits couldn’t identify Brown by name, they did remember that she is “white and blond,” which was enough for investigators to identify her, sources said.

Other instructors are also under scrutiny for training lapses, sources said, and NYPD officials are considering increasing the amount of CPR training.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:20:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Oops!
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Would hit.  Must acquit.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:23:36 PM EDT
[#3]
The bullshit piles up so high and so fast, you need fucking wings to stay above it.

Now that she's gone, I'm sure the academy is clean as a hound's tooth.

Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:25:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The bullshit piles up so high and so fast, you need fucking wings to stay above it.
View Quote

I love that she was an instructor at the academy with less than 5 years on the job.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#5]
What the hell is in her holster?
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#6]
John Funk, another of Liang’s classmates at the academy, testified that his minimal CPR training was led by a single instructor for some 300 students. The class ran out of time before Funk was able to practice on one of the mannequins, he testified.
View Quote

Definitely the instructors fault.  She probably had a solid 30 seconds per student, I can't believe she didn't do her job, what a shitbag... /sarcasm  
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#7]
And what happened to the leadership????
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:29:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Would hit.  Must acquit.
View Quote

This, except I'm too old, and the ride would probably kill me.

Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fake gun, training at the academy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Not guilty
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:30:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

A red plastic training pistol.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Is that a wooden gun in her fucking holster???
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I love that she was an instructor at the academy with less than 5 years on the job.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Diversity?
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Not guilty.
CPR rarely works anyway
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:33:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would hit.  Must acquit.

Not a bad way to go out
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In today's world it is not surprising at all. I kind of expect her to get promoted after this.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:34:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Diversity?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Diversity?

She's hot, maybe the academy CO called dibs.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:35:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Definitely the instructors fault.  She probably had a solid 30 seconds per student, I can't believe she didn't do her job, what a shitbag... /sarcasm  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah that's sounding less like the instructor's fault and more like the fault of whoever schedules class time.  Probably spent all their time in new mandatory SHARP and cultural sensitivity classes but no extra days of training were added to save money.  

"Just cut a few minutes off here and there to make up time."
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:35:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In today's world it is not surprising at all. I kind of expect her to get promoted after this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Female cop from my precinct went to be a academy instructor less than 3 years out of the academy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:36:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not guilty.
CPR rarely works anyway
View Quote

Apparently someone thinks CPR could fix a GSW since they're making such a stink about it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:36:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wish it was me
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Wish it was me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wish it was me

Lulz.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was hoping they would make her walk around with that one since they took her real one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:09:18 AM EDT
[#25]
At my agency there was a female instructor assigned o the academy at the end of her on year probation

I taught several classes and would encourage recruits to ask this instructor about her most significant felony arrests.

She had a relationship with the deputy chief in charge of training...

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#26]
The powers that be needed to steam roll someone, and they found one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:13:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
At my agency there was a female instructor assigned o the academy at the end of her on year probation

I taught several classes and would encourage recruits to ask this instructor about her most significant felony arrests.

She had a relationship with the deputy chief in charge of training...
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:16:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Why don't they have a medical professional teaching CPR so this officer could carry on doing what I assume she was quite good at doing? I mean is CPR a key function for an officer? Oh well she'll get a job somewhere that isn't NYC and be much happier.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:18:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Oh well she'll get a job somewhere that isn't NYC and be much happier.
View Quote

She's not getting fired.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Female cop from my precinct went to be a academy instructor less than 3 years out of the academy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, you're trying to tell us that being a poor instructor requires little experience?

Or are you trying to tell us that certain parties want women cops off the beat and the academy is where they get sent?

Or both?
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:25:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yeah that's sounding less like the instructor's fault and more like the fault of whoever schedules class time.  Probably spent all their time in new mandatory SHARP and cultural sensitivity classes but no extra days of training were added to save money.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Someone else cut training cost and she gets blamed. I'd bet none of this was up to her, and if she was assigned the time she needed, she'd probably do a decent job. CPR training is not hard, but it's not something that should be done with a 300/1 student/instructor ratio in a single class.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:26:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:27:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm shocked!  Shocked, I tell you..the experience she gained in those 5 years put her light years ahead of many, many others
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:30:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Oh well!
View Quote

Part of taking the moral high ground.....is actually taking the moral high ground.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:34:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So, you're trying to tell us that being a poor instructor requires little experience?

Or are you trying to tell us that certain parties want women cops off the beat and the academy is where they get sent?

Or both?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or both?

You are not tracking at all..I'll spell it out for you...ugly , fat girls can work a beat, anything remotely good looking becomes a instructor, someone's secretary or is on permanent light duty
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:39:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Not guilty.
CPR rarely works anyway
View Quote

She can do mouth-to-mouth on me.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:39:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

So its her fault that 300 students had ONE instructor and not enough time?  

Shit does roll downhill.    
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:44:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:50:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Well seriously, if they had her teaching 300 people cpr by herself than the "bad guy' is higher up the food chain than her. But she must have known she was doing a shit job and went along with the program.  
View Quote
Yeah she should have known she'd be the one without a chair when the music stopped.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 12:57:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yeah she should have known she'd be the one without a chair when the music stopped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well seriously, if they had her teaching 300 people cpr by herself than the "bad guy' is higher up the food chain than her. But she must have known she was doing a shit job and went along with the program.  

Then she'd be out of a job couple years sooner and another guy would've taken the blame for leadership dropping the ball. Heck, that's probably how she ended up with the job.

The fact that this is obvious to GD but not obvious to NYPD should speak volumes.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 1:01:02 AM EDT
[#41]
My best guess, based on 33 years as a highly intuitive trained observer, is that she got her spot "day shift with weekends off" because of her big Tits.

Just look at that steely eyed Law woman scanning aggressively for crime with her hand on her chrome ready to lay waste to all evil do'ers in her path.

Honestly I cant take this job anymore. I bet she gets "re-assigned" to her Boss/Jockers office until the heats off her and she gets her tin star back and gets another cush job. Headlines get forgotten fast in the big city and the PD can be awfully forgiving to a chosen few. Lol, 33 years of this shit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 1:07:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Why don't they have a medical professional teaching CPR so this officer could carry on doing what I assume she was quite good at doing? I mean is CPR a key function for an officer? Oh well she'll get a job somewhere that isn't NYC and be much happier.
View Quote

You can pretty much bet that a non-LEO wont have the general topics instructor classes that DCJS looks for from anyone who is teaching in a LE setting.
Most agencies care about that sort of thing when it comes to CYA and liability managament
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 1:08:08 AM EDT
[#43]

Has NYPD never heard of belt keepers???
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I bet she gets "re-assigned" to her Boss/Jockers office until the heats off her and she gets her tin star back and gets another cush job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I bet she gets "re-assigned" to her Boss/Jockers office until the heats off her and she gets her tin star back and gets another cush job.

Ding, ding, ding

Officer Melissa Brown, who is assigned to the NYPD’s Recruit Training Section, was placed on modified duty Monday and is now restricted to administrative work
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 1:13:29 AM EDT
[#45]
I take a CPR class once a year myself, that doesn't mean I can do it correctly.

Not a good suspension in my opinion. She can't make students pay attention or give a fuck on CPR day.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 1:14:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Not a good suspension in my opinion. She can't make students pay attention or give a fuck on CPR day.
View Quote

She wasn't suspended.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 1:16:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If she's only teaching something like CPR or first aid I don't see that being a problem. If she were teaching firearms or tactics or something it would be a different story. Maybe she was a paramedic or something prior.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 1:24:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Hot.  I would sex on her.

CPR is not hard.  You can do it wrong and still probably be doing it fine.

1. Have someone call 911

2. See where the sternum/breastbone is?  Push on that to the tune of Duke of Earl.  I hum the refrain from Duke of Earl sometimes when I'm doing CPR so I don't go too fast.

So hard.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 1:36:01 AM EDT
[#49]
If YouTube can teach me how to put up drywall, I'm pretty sure it can give some ass with a badge a pretty good idea on how to kick some prick's chest until paramedics arrive.

I still remember the basics from being certified in high school.  Christ, I still know how to heimlich an infant, as if I have any business being around children to begin with.

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 1:38:54 AM EDT
[#50]
My last cpr refresher wasn't much longer that what she gave as instruction.

Instructor said "find the breastbone, start compressions done to 'Another one bites the dust' until someone can locate the auto cpr machine".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top