Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/29/2016 11:01:16 AM EDT
Mine stare at the TV for a good 5 minutes after hearing a dog bark. We all like to sit on the couch and watch cops.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:17:06 AM EDT
[#1]
The dogs  go nuts every time   Marvin is shot  in pulp fiction .....
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#2]
When there are animal sounds, mine runs over and stares at the speaker with the RCA dog look (showing my age there )  But any commercial that uses a doorbell sound, and he runs over to the window looking for the sound.

How in the hell can he figure out the animal sounds are located at the tv, but the doorbell sounds are an unknown.

I also can't watch COPS, Alaska State Troopers, etc...  Mine HATES sirens.  Radio squawks too.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Our Golden loves to watch!
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#4]
No, but sounds yes, doorbell, fireworks, ect.....
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Not the TV but the security monitor.

Got a Yorkie that will sit or lay where she has view of monitor. She alerts me to any car or person that comes in my driveway.

Sometimes she will watch for hours.  
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#7]
mine will take notice if there are animals on the screen or if he hears familiar sounds.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sometimes
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Dog wont. But the Cat will for long periods of time.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Mine doesn't even seem to notice the TV.

The only exception was the stupid GM commercial around Christmas time where people are bragging about their new POS's in their driveway to their neighbors.  "Mine lights up too", then the lights blink and the horn chirps.  For some reason that horn chirp would always make my dog perk up and start softly barking at the front door.

Had a cat once that went ape shit over a nature show on tv.  That cat really wanted to get that bird in the show.  After failing to get the bird from the front, ran to the back of the tv to see if there was another way in.  The cat was dumbfounded how that bird was right there, yet inaccessible.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Our first Jack Russell Terrier did. For years he watched about 50 percent of the time he was on our laps.

He liked to bark at any animal whether real, CG, puppet, silouette or cartoon.

He lost interest when he was older, unless he heard an animal.

Great pup.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#12]
It's funny...  My dogs will hear a doorbell on TV and start barking and running for the front door.  We all start yelling TV... TV...  and they'll immediately come right back.  Funny....
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#13]
My parents had a male Golden Retriever that I swear was some kind of savant, dumb as hell but loved TV.  Darby knew when Rin Tin Tin came on and would bug the crap out of my dad to put it on, once on he would sit for 30 mins watching the entire show.  Oh and if you changed the channel, he would paw at the remote to change the channel back.  

Never would have believed it until I saw it with my own eyes.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#14]
GSD will sit directly in front of TV and watch COPS twisting his head left and right. He loves the sirens and K-9's. Bad boys..bad boys

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got one that watches for any animals on tv.  She even reacts to cartoon animals.  She doesn't like the 'walkers' on Walking Dead and barks whenever she hears the theme song for Big Bang Theory (she growls whenever Sheldon talks).  I can't watch Animal Planet at all with her anywhere near.

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Loves Pig Bomb & Hogzilla and dog shows, other than that meh.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Our basset hound completely ignores the TV unless I'm watching the Pink Floyd Pulse concert on DVD.  Then he stands there and stares at the screen until it's over.  Probably the longest period of time he's ever gone without laying down.

But he also barks at his own ass when he farts, so he's not quite right, anyway.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#18]

No they pretty much ignore the TV, except for the occasional door bell sound effect........ and we don't even HAVE a door bell.

But they know when they hear the close music to NBC Nightly News that it is dinner time and they all jump and run around and bark.

One of them used to howl to the music.  That was sooooo cute

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#19]
She only pays attention to it when she hears a doorbell. Other than that, it might as well be a picture on the wall.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 1:34:29 PM EDT
[#20]
don't bother my golden during the blacklist
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#21]
My grandparents had a Boston that would intensely watch TV.  I swear the dog knew what was going on in the show.  Then he would fart and everyone would have to leave the room.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#22]
My cat will and my mom's dog looks for and barks at any animal on TV.

I had a chihuahua that would come running so that he could howl along with the intro to CSI.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#23]
All 3/of them watch TV.  They also respond by barking at some of the sounds they hear. Since they have been trained to bark at those sounds.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I do not own a dog.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Both of ours do from time to time.  Doesn't have to be other animals involved, just has to be something that for whatever reason interest them.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Only our Mountain Cur, and she watches it intensely, no matter what the program.  She gets really upset over horses.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a weimaraner that would watch the tv show felicity when it was,on tv. She would literally climb up on the couch and lay there fixated on the tv, but just for that show...
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes and how do you break them of it? It's got so I can't watch a western....Cows, horses, dogs...He barks at all of them.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#29]

My staffordshire does. Both of these are of Amazing Race. He loves that show

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Max loves animal planet.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Not really.

He was flabbergasted at the little girl singing at the beginning of "Thr interview" though.

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Mine will sit and watch tv shows and movies, content does not matter. He generally sits and watches with a toy in his mouth. If I'm in the room and the tv is not on he will stare at the blank screen, look back at me and then to the blank screen. Loves his TV.

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#33]
My dog DVR's the shows she likes, then watches them while I'm at work.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#34]
not really
but if a puppy cries on tv or any other device
our old lady who we dont think has ever had puppies
goes into incredibly worried momma mode
it upsets her greatly
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#35]
My GSD goes nuts every time she hears a siren on the TV and tries to emulate the sound. She still thinks that when she hears someone knocking on a door on TV that there is someone at our door.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't think my Shiba has ever even acknowledged the TV being on in 10 years.

Very smart dog otherwise, or yet, maybe even smarter than his owner.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#37]
My older brittany has always basically ignored it. My youngest however,  reacts to many noises, and will watch animals. He will bark at the doorbell on TV and howl at sirens.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#38]
My schnauzer likes to watch bowhunting shows. She watches and watches and tenses up as the shot is about to happen. As soon as the hunter release the arrow and she takes off towards the tv trying to get to the deer as it runs off.

My english bulldog went crazy a couple weeks ago when the Westminster dog show was on. He watched the entire thing and jumped up on the TV when he saw the golden retriever on the screen.

We have 3 dogs total and while we are at work we leave the tv on animal planet all day. They all sit on the couch and watch.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Non stop.  She LOVES tv, she really likes scary movies.  

She remembers which commercials have animals (especially dogs and horses) and as soon as the commercial starts she will come flying into the room to try and jump up and get the animal on the TV.  I guess she remembers the music or sounds.

I would leave one on for her while I'm at work but if a horse was on there she would go ballistic and wreck my entire house trying to get to it.

I don't watch a ton of TV, but I do DVR some shows and watch them on a regular basis.  I think my dog really really just wants to do whatever I'm doing, so she thinks TV time is cool.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Dog wont. But the Cat will for long periods of time.
View Quote
I've got a cat that loves to watch hockey.

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

My dog DVR's the shows she likes, then watches them while I'm at work.

View Quote
Got yourself a Border Collie huh?  

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#42]
My husky will watch TV. My chocolate lab does not. Calling her retarded would be a compliment.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Our Golden loves to watch!
http://i68.tinypic.com/ehyqkp.jpg
View Quote

It says you have to pay extra for that channel
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#44]
My English Setter loves Spongebob,
I have no clue how that started either as we don't have children.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#45]
When I watching hunting shows and she sees deer or other wildlife walking around she goes crazy and wants to be let outside.

Then she goes out and can't figure out why there aren't any elk or whitetail deer in the backyard.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#46]
One of my two Westies does.  He came from an Amish farm, so we think he never saw TV before
He watches TV intently.

If there's any animal on the TV, he launches himself at it.  We haven't been able to watch the Westminster dog show for years.  Dog videos on America's Funniest Videos .... haven't see that show for years either.

He also hates Flo from Progressive.  He could be asleep in another part of the house, hear her on a Progressive Insurance Ad, and he comes running and goes apeshit at the TV.

Other things ... songs.  Funky Town or George Thorogood "Bad to the Bone" ... apeshit again.

It's so bad, that when I travel for business, and I'm watching TV in the hotel room, I flinch when I see an animal.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:07:52 PM EDT
[#47]
My dog doesn't pay any attention to the TV, but my daughter's rescue mutt, Lady watches cartoons with my grandson.

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Yup, watches it with me a lot.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#49]
no, mine has never really shown interest in the TV. He'll perk up if he hears dogs barking in a TV show, and sometimes run to the window to look for the TV dogs, but he's never really expressed interest in television.

He does know if i'm playing video games, though - if i pick up a game controller, he'll go lie down, knowing i won't have hands free to play fetch or pet.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#50]
No, he licks his ass and sleeps.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top