Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Disturbing to say the least.

Here are the survey demographics.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I hear from everyone, "If you have nothing to hide, what are you worried about?"
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#5]
'The will of the majority shall not infringe on the rights of the minority'
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ever wonder why obama got elected or why politicians do what you think it stupid? Look at this glaring differences on something so basic as an ovbious government over reach and understand just how far in the minority we are. Stop thinking like we are a majority and should be able to strong arm our way to victory on every issue. We better get united on a few core ideals or we are going to lose them all. We need to decide what is important and what we can give up, because we aren't getting it all.

Look in this link for ARF poll

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1841631_Who_do_you_back_in_the_Apple___FBI_dustup_.html&light=apple

http://bgr.com/2016/02/22/apple-vs-fbi-survey/

Speaking with 1,002 individuals from February 18th to February 21st, Pew found that 51% of those surveyed believed that Apple should assist the FBI in unlocking the phone, while 38% disagreed and 11% didn’t know which side to take.
View Quote
View Quote

I seriously doubt that the poll question included the implications to all commercial encryption forever if apple is forced to comply.. and the  main stream media reporting on the issue does not mention it either.

We are a relatively tight nit group, and info travels fast here.. We know shit fast. The people who consume their info from state sources wont find out until after the fact, if at all.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#7]
1002 people were polled.
This is why I never trust polls and we don't know exactly how the questions were asked.

Fwiw I side with Apple on this call.
Our Federal Government and it's endless overreach is getting too damn big for my comfort.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe that poll was erroneous and they updated the results this week.
A majority of Americans support Apple.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Disturbing to say the least.

Here are the survey demographics.

http://www.people-press.org/files/2016/02/2-22-2016-12-08-32-PM.png

View Quote

Those last two bars are interesting.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
ARFCOM has a higher percentage of people who know something about encryption and what is at stake than the general public.

Just about all the reporting I've seen on this story has been absolute dog shit written by people with nary a clue about any of the technical realities. GD has a number of people who know those technical realities and talk about them...and that tends to change people's mind.

View Quote

It isn't a matter of technical knowledge on arfcom.  The issue gets framed as statist/JBT vs. freedom/anti-gov.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ever wonder why obama got elected or why politicians do what you think it stupid? Look at this glaring differences on something so basic as an ovbious government over reach and understand just how far in the minority we are. Stop thinking like we are a majority and should be able to strong arm our way to victory on every issue. We better get united on a few core ideals or we are going to lose them all. We need to decide what is important and what we can give up, because we aren't getting it all.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1841631_Who_do_you_back_in_the_Apple___FBI_dustup_.html&light=apple

Speaking with 1,002 individuals from February 18th to February 21st, Pew found that 51% of those surveyed believed that Apple should assist the FBI in unlocking the phone, while 38% disagreed and 11% didn’t know which side to take.
View Quote
View Quote

People don't carry these types of situations down to their level to really think about what's happening. If you asked those same people if they thought the police would be in the right in forcing a company to unlock THEIR phone so it could be used as evidence in their child abuse case after they posted a funny pic of their kid "tied" to a tree in the backyard, I'm sure their answer would change.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
ARFCOM has a higher percentage of people who know something about encryption and what is at stake than the general public.

Just about all the reporting I've seen on this story has been absolute dog shit written by people with nary a clue about any of the technical realities. GD has a number of people who know those technical realities and talk about them...and that tends to change people's mind.

View Quote

Its not just the technical aspect; its the legal principle involved.  Most Americans are idiots, and can't think much beyond the Kardashians or whatever pablum is pumped out on the MSM.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
View Quote

That's because people are fucking stupid and have no clue what the Constitution is all about.

That you have to accept the parts you agree with AND the parts you don't for the good of all.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#16]
We actually had this discussion today at work. I would love to get those 1,000 poll respondents to answer a multiple choice quiz and then plot their score against their opinion.

1. Why doesn't Apple want to help the fedgov unlock the phone?

a. They are gay terrorist lovers

b. The encryption makes it impossible without compromising every iPhone ever

c. The government is compelling them to do work in an illegal fashion makes them sad

d. I don't know, doesn't the FBI have a warrant for this one phone?

e. Both B&C

f. Fuck Apple, Android bitches!
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

People don't carry these types of situations down to their level to really think about what's happening. If you asked those same people if they thought the police would be in the right in forcing a company to unlock THEIR phone so it could be used as evidence in their child abuse case after they posted a funny pic of their kid "tied" to a tree in the backyard, I'm sure their answer would change.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The difference here is, that if they have a court ordered search warrant, you would be forced to unlock your phone or go to jail. Apple isn't threatened by that.
I wish a compromise could be found. Have them get the data off the phone (at apple in private) and have it turned over to the FBI.

Are you saying this is any different from any other legally obtained search warrant?

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The difference here is, that if they have a court ordered search warrant, you would be forced to unlock your phone or go to jail. Apple isn't threatened by that.
I wish a compromise could be found. Have them get the data off the phone (at apple in private) and have it turned over to the FBI.

Are you saying this is any different from any other legally obtained search warrant?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Just remember, 90% of us went to public school, where we were trained to behave based on simple Pavlovian stimuli, and not to think for ourselves.

Anytime I see the majority supporting something, I generally associate it with that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:38:42 PM EDT
[#20]
So, Democrats, Republicans, and Independents support the FBI's position? While ARF members don't. Shocker.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#21]
The science is settled: ARFCOM GD is smarter than the general population of America.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The science is settled: ARFCOM GD is smarter than the general population of America.
View Quote

As if I wasn't depressed enough...
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#23]
It is mainly do to the question being asked

"do you think apple should unlock THAT phone"

I can see why people say yes.

Smart people realize it is the tip of the ice berg.

"Do you think Apple should give the FBI the means to easily unlock any phone?"

I think results would be a lot different
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Populist candidates know their electorate.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Very.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very.

yep. It will eventually get thrown out because of the way it was obtained.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I hear from everyone, "If you have nothing to hide, what are you worried about?"
View Quote

Those are the type of people that I calmly respond - would you mind me videotaping your sexual activity with your partner - I promise, this can't ever be uploaded to the internet.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Most of arf members although pretend to act retarded... are actually really well educated and we debate and research here.

The general public goes "why are they not wanting to help apprehend a dead terrorist?!"

People here get that it's not the phone that's the issue, it's the program that gives backdoor access.   General public just sees it as searching someones bag.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#28]
50% or more of the people living in America are idiots.  (notice I did not say "50% of Americans are idiots", because there are a lot of people living in this country who are NOT Americans)
This is why the country is doomed, buy cheap, stack deep, and get ready for the shit show.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Those are the type of people that I calmly respond - would you mind me videotaping your sexual activity with your partner - I promise, this can't ever be uploaded to the internet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Show me yer tits"

"Why not? You have something to hide?!"
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#30]
When the news about this played on the radio they only said Apple did not want to unlock the terrorist's phone.
They mentioned that Apple has done this several times in the last few years(unlocking phones).

They didn't mention it was on the old OS.
Or doing this creates a backdoor.

So there's that.'
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I think what Apple is doing is a PR stunt to make people buy their "uncrackable" product.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#32]
.gov is moving to Iphones...so making a key will hurt their security...I don't think they think that far ahead though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
.gov is moving to Iphones...so making a key will hurt their security...I don't think they think that far ahead though.
View Quote

OPM laughs at your fancy 'thinking ahead'.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think what Apple is doing is a PR stunt to make people buy their "uncrackable" product.
View Quote

I've come to the conclusion that it was not some judge's ignorance of how the tech works but that the government really wants Apple to develop, pay for, and deliver tech back to them.  Whether Apple keeps this product on some secure unconnected computer deep within their spaceship office (I don't think they've moved in yet?) or not the government will know it possible and will go back.  Don't feed the bears.

I thought Tim Cook's response was horrible and didn't do Apple any favors amongst anyone who is just reading the daily headlines.

Also, I came here to learn about the issue and read up on it as I have zero to do with encryption nor various phone hardware/software integration.  What I have learned from here and other sites is it is a far more complicated issue than just enter the magic code so the FBI can get the bad guys.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Thank goodness we can always rely on the pollsters.
They are all honest, upright and never have an agenda!
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#36]
I think Apple should unlock the terrorist's cell phone for the FBI.  However, they shouldn't create a tool for the FBI to unlock all iPhones.  Bottom line, unlock the terrorist's cell phone.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I think Apple should unlock the terrorist's cell phone for the FBI.  However, they shouldn't create a tool for the FBI to unlock all iPhones.  Bottom line, unlock the terrorist's cell phone.
View Quote

No.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope.

FBI can suck it. The terrorism boogeyman that has been used to "justify" this kind of shit for years needs to die.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

It doesn't work that way.  A tool created to unlock one phone will unlock all phones.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#40]

I wish Apple would offer the .gov this compromise:

Apple takes physical custody of the phone… Apple cracks
encryption and extracts all data… Apple hands over the extracted data to the
FBI less anything that would allow .gov to replicate the process… Apple destroys
the phone and the program used to crack it.

And Apple does this voluntarily not due to coercion…

If .gov doesn’t accept the offer Apple tells .gov to get
fucked.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Apple takes physical custody of the phone… Apple cracksencryption and extracts all data… Apple hands over the extracted data to theFBI less anything that would allow .gov to replicate the process… Apple destroysthe phone and the program used to crack it.

If .gov doesn’t accept the offer Apple tells .gov to getfucked.

View Quote

Congratulations. You just agreed to establish precedent.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Because Terrorist  

Typically, posts are based on facts instead of emotion, but this place sure goes off the rails in the other direction when it comes to certain things.

View Quote

Bullshit. You will have to show me an example of any time anyone here has gone off the rails.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Apple takes physical custody of the phone… Apple cracksencryption and extracts all data… Apple hands over the extracted data to theFBI less anything that would allow .gov to replicate the process… Apple destroysthe phone and the program used to crack it.

View Quote

At which point the chain of custody on the phone is questionable, so any evidence value it might have had in court is probably destroyed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#44]
It's a good thing that we live in a Constitutional Republic, where constitutional rights are not subject to the whims of a slim majority.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

At which point the chain of custody on the phone is questionable, so any evidence value it might have had in court is probably destroyed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#46]
apple, having authored the OS, can decrypt info on the phones already, ne?

that doesn't make me feel any better than the .gov having access

android, anyway
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

Quoted:

Nope.

FBI can suck it. The terrorism boogeyman that has been used to "justify" this kind of shit for years needs to die.

Dead terrorist assholes don't have rights.  Fuck them, open the god damned cell phone.

Quoted:
It doesn't work that way.  A tool created to unlock one phone will unlock all phones.

Oh, c'mon, you think Apple can't get into any phone it wants?  They already know how.  Just open up that one, and hand it over to the Feebs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#48]
I Needs Mah Privicy.

That and this site is filled with peeps that are attached at the hip to their I-Phones. You would think their wives were going to get the key to unlock their phone.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So?

If .gov has a warrant issued for data housed on a specific
device owned by a specific person then they should be able to get it… not a
general warrant and not blanket data collection.

If some compromise isn’t met then I suspect that legislation
will be passed banning encryption all together kind of like how encrypting radio
transmissions is illegal for the general public…

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top