Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/22/2016 9:03:11 PM EDT
The NRA just released their blended learning course, requiring students to complete a portion of the course online instead of hands on with an instructor. In addition they charge the student $60 directly, while the instructor is still on the hook for the same amount of money for materials, range time, advertising, and travel. My state requires people to take the basic pistol course in order to get their Carry Permit. This just adds to the nickel and diming for people to exercise their right, by an organization (of which I am a member and instructor) whose first mission should be spreading the good word.

Some comments from another forum that I found said it well:

NRA just took approximately 50% ($60) of potential income from NRA instructors; yet the instructors still have to spend 100% marketing and out of pocket costs (renting the range and classroom, syllabus…etc) to find students for the remaining 50% income. It would be a different story if NRA would send us students (free leads) that have completed Phase I of the course.

First, the decision was made to move from entirely instructor-led to a hybrid format with little to no input from the instructors. Then, the rate structure was not communicated to the instructor cadre well in advance of rolling the program out. They have also done a poor job dealing with the actual switchover by running out of the old course materials that could be ordered well in advance of actually being live with the hybrid classes, and not allowing the instructors to see the new online portion of the class well in advance of it going live.

Couple all this with the financial shift that takes money from the instructors (no more student packets at <$20 per student to supply, but other expenses unaffected, and NRA takes $60 per student, meaning the total class cost either goes up or the instructor loses money they would have otherwise made for each student)
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Tell Bernie to fix it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tell Bernie to fix it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#3]
They're stealing the vests right off of their backs
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, that's going to put a hurting on my local NRA instructor.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#5]
it is kind of bullshit for sure.  Online gun instruction instead of hands on.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I am an NRA Instructor and I am not happy about these changes either.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This...

And I just got my instructor cert 9 months ago.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This...

And I just got my instructor certs 9 months ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This...

And I just got my instructor certs 9 months ago.

I just paid out the ass to re up my liability insurance. I mainly do this to bring people into the fold due to the barrier of entry the state causes, not for profit or a business. Now its basically charity, which does not bode well for the future of the 2A considering what how expensive it already is here just in state fees for a CCW (which is the only way to buy pistols here).
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:55:23 PM EDT
[#9]
The instructor session at last year's Annual Meeting got pretty heated on the subject.  It increases the total time for the course by several hours, they estimate 6-8 hours for the online portion, while still requiring five hours of instructor time (three classroom, two on the range).  I'm still going through the online portion (accessible by instructors, you should have gotten an email with the login credentials if you're an instructor) to see what I think.  

They ARE restocking the store with materials every few days, they were out of stock yesterday but have some right now, I just ordered some to replenish ones I sold to another local instructor when the store was out of stock.

So far, my impression is that NRA Training has not done a very good job with this.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#10]
They must have hired a bunch of PADI people.  (Put Another Dollar In)
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:16:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:24:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Not surprised. They are in it for the money anymore.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:42:19 AM EDT
[#13]
So, is it worthwhile to become an NRA instructor or is this just another bullshit  'take your money" scheme.

I would like to get NRA instructor for pistol and rifle.... if they are dickin' with the prices , then  forget it.....I'll train people at ranges for free.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:08:22 AM EDT
[#14]
It is going to be interesting to see how this plays out.  I like the shooting part of the new program, but not sure about the on-line part.  We are a 'non-profit' range so none of us get paid.  I do like spending more time on the range with people shooting.

Chief RSO
Pistol/Rifle Instructor
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:19:59 AM EDT
[#15]
If I am not mistaken, an NRA instructor in FL can teach his own material.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:47:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

But he can't issue an NRA training certificate for it, which some states want for carry licenses.  I usually teach my own curriculum because the classes I teach most often are tied to a large shooting event and cover rifles and pistols.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:56:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It is going to be interesting to see how this plays out.  I like the shooting part of the new program, but not sure about the on-line part.  We are a 'non-profit' range so none of us get paid.  I do like spending more time on the range with people shooting.

Chief RSO
Pistol/Rifle Instructor
View Quote

Non-profit doesn't mean nobody gets paid!

Why is the NRA charging $60 per student if they don't provide anything material for the class?  I'd call that a non-trivial amount.  Perhaps our resident NRA Board member can shed some light on the thinking here.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:06:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

But he can't issue an NRA training certificate for it, which some states want for carry licenses.  I usually teach my own curriculum because the classes I teach most often are tied to a large shooting event and cover rifles and pistols.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just checked and in Florida an NRA certified instructor can teach a safety class and document the student's completion and include his NRA information and the student is GTG.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#19]
We generated our own class and submitted it to the local authorities that regulate the CCW in FL. As long as we show the course curriculum and submit our NRA license # we are GTG. AL does not have a training requirement
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We generated our own class and submitted it to the local authorities that regulate the CCW in FL. As long as we show the course curriculum and submit our NRA license # we are GTG. AL does not have a training requirement
View Quote

Why should there be a training requirement?  It's a right not a privilege
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#21]
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#23]
If the problem was that incorrect and/or insufficient material was being presented in the courses, isn't that the fault of the instructor training program?  Shouldn't they fix that?

Of course, it's also possible they wanted to squeeze in some more info, but ran into time constraints.  An online portion makes good sense there, but $60 for an online instruction that people probably click through in a few hours is crazy.

Sounds like they spent too much money creating the online portion.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#24]
In my state it is not required to have a "NRA" course.  As a NRA instructor however, I can give  a class and document it
with something other than the NRA "certificate".  I made up my own certificates, put my NRA instructor number on it and its
good to go.  I guess I won't be buying anymore NRA packets from the NRA.  The thought of an online course to certify a student,
may be the fuckiest thing I have ever heard of.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#25]
In my state, the only reason people take the NRA basic pistol class is to get the paperwork for their "enhanced" permit (carry in more places).The state doesn't technically say you have to follow the NRA course verbatim, so many instructors are doing their own version of it that satisfies the state requirements. Students don't get an NRA certificate, but it seems that very few actually care about that anyway.

Theoretically, I could run more students through in a day since a lot of the material would be covered in the online portion. Since the students will have already shelled out $60 online, then that narrows the margin of what I can charge. I end up with twice as many students at basically the same total money taken in.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
.... considering what how expensive it already is here just in state fees for a CCW (which is the only way to buy pistols here).
View Quote

Yep. For CT:
Local issuing authority fee: $70.00
Criminal history check through a law enforcement agency fees: $50.00 and $14.75
State of CT fee: $70.00
Total state fees: $204.75

So one is already spending a minimum of $204.75 not including the cost of the NRA course. Normally the courses run around $100 (or there abouts in CT). Jack that price to $150 or $160 and it will drive people away because its too expensive. No way a fair number of people will want to or even can spend $364.75 just to then spend a couple of hundred more for a pistol.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Gotta feed the pig!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
In my state it is not required to have a "NRA" course.  As a NRA instructor however, I can give  a class and document it
with something other than the NRA "certificate".  I made up my own certificates, put my NRA instructor number on it and its
good to go.  I guess I won't be buying anymore NRA packets from the NRA.  The thought of an online course to certify a student,
View Quote

Basically, this is how I've done things for years.  The additional training I've taken through the NRA's LEAD (Law Enforcement Activities Div'n.) include LE Handgun / Shotgun / Patrol Rifle and Tactical Shooting Instructor, on top of my basic pistol and RSO instructor's certs, provide me with the ability to deliver much more information and material to students.  This information, material and time spent in live fire training on the range well exceeds the Colorado minimum requirements for one's CCW permit.

In accordance with the NRA's regs on the matter, I don't get to advertise that I am an NRA Instructor offering an NRA course, sticking to the handbook line by line and page by page but on the other hand...I don't have to stick to the handbook line by line and page by page.  

I was able to document 62 hours of continuing education I had successfully attended and completed (and paid for with my own dime) in the previous three years, when I renewed all my NRA certs recently.  The minimum requirement to renew the certs is 24 hours of C.E. in the previous three years.  Courses ranged from handgun to precision rifle to carbine classes.  Point being, I believe I am complying (and exceeding) with the letter and the spirit of the continuing ed required minimums by updating my knowledge base and training techniques to the extent that I have in order to provide my students with the best, most recent and up-to-date (and pertinent) information possible.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Many instructors are going to walk away. In may you will no longer have the option of doing in person or hyrbrid course. I see many instructors going to USCCA.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#31]
I teach First STEPS for the FL CWP qualification. I charge $50-75 depending on my target audience.
This is going to price me out of the market.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#32]
the way Ohio law now reads, looks like a NRA instructor can teach the class and side step the NRA bullshit buy issuing his own cert..

Ohio

Training and Competency Certification
A certificate of completion of a class that was open to the public
that used instructors approved by a national gun advocacy
organization

A certificate of completion of a class not otherwise described in
this publication that was conducted by an instructor who was
certified by an official or entity of Ohio, another state, the United
States government, or a national gun advocacy organization that
complies with the minimum educational requirements; or
• An affidavit from a qualified instructor that attests to the
applicant’s completion of a course that satisfied the minimum
educational requirements;

"ORC 2923.125(B)(3)(a)

The law sets out minimum educational requirements that are a
component of the various forms of competency certification as set
forth previously.

The total time required for training is 8 hours with a
minimum of 2 hours of in-person training that consists of range time
and live-fire training.
The law requires certified training in the following matters:

• The ability to name, explain, and demonstrate the rules for
safe handling of a handgun and proper storage practices for
handguns and ammunition;

• The ability to demonstrate and explain how to handle
ammunition in a safe manner;

• The ability to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitude
necessary to shoot a handgun in a safe manner;

• Gun-handling training.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wow, that's going to put a hurting on my local NRA instructor.  
View Quote

mine too considering he only charged $80 for the fkn class
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Basically, this is how I've done things for years.  The additional training I've taken through the NRA's LEAD (Law Enforcement Activities Div'n.) include LE Handgun / Shotgun / Patrol Rifle and Tactical Shooting Instructor, on top of my basic pistol and RSO instructor's certs, provide me with the ability to deliver much more information and material to students.  This information, material and time spent in live fire training on the range well exceeds the Colorado minimum requirements for one's CCW permit.

In accordance with the NRA's regs on the matter, I don't get to advertise that I am an NRA Instructor offering an NRA course, sticking to the handbook line by line and page by page but on the other hand...I don't have to stick to the handbook line by line and page by page.  

I was able to document 62 hours of continuing education I had successfully attended and completed (and paid for with my own dime) in the previous three years, when I renewed all my NRA certs recently.  The minimum requirement to renew the certs is 24 hours of C.E. in the previous three years.  Courses ranged from handgun to precision rifle to carbine classes.  Point being, I believe I am complying (and exceeding) with the letter and the spirit of the continuing ed required minimums by updating my knowledge base and training techniques to the extent that I have in order to provide my students with the best, most recent and up-to-date (and pertinent) information possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, last time I renewed, they just wanted my money.  I have in fact however, continued my own training and deliver a much greater product
than the NRA course does.  My moto is, "that CCW card in your wallet doesn't do you any good if you don't know how to shoot".  
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Not shocked.

NRA = greedy fucking rats!
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#36]
how long is the online class?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Interesting, last time I renewed, they just wanted my money.  I have in fact however, continued my own training and deliver a much greater product
than the NRA course does.  My moto is, "that CCW card in your wallet doesn't do you any good if you don't know how to shoot".  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just paying to renew a basic pistol instructor's certification and paying money plus documenting continuing education is just one distinction between the basic pistol instructor's requirements and a certified NRA LE instructor's requirements to renew certs.  Good on you for recognizing some of the shortcomings of a basic pistol instructor's training and acting to fill in some of the gaps to provide a better product to your students.  

I've become pretty convinced, over the years, that a basic pistol instructor has no business teaching CCW classes, otherwise.  

Flame suit...ON!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Sounds like the NRA whipped up an online video so they could take a portion of every class for revenue purposes.

View Quote

There's a review of the online portion that I viewed last night on FaceBook (can't access it from work) that had part of the answer - the NRA doesn't really have a good way to verify that NRA instructors are actually teaching the NRA curriculum in classes.  I know when I took my first instructor class, the training counselor mentioned that at least one instructor had lost his certification because he was offering the class over Skype, and somebody informed the NRA, so one of the people at NRA HQ signed up for his class and took it.  By requiring that a portion of the course go through NRA HQ, they can guarantee that at least THAT portion of the curriculum is taught to standards (the NRA training division is pretty small, less than a dozen people, I've heard less than a half-dozen).  They're also implementing specific checklists for each student on the different firearm manipulation steps for different types of firearms, and specific marksmanship requirements, which is stricter than the old curriculum.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#39]
At worst should be refundable upon completion.  At best done away with.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

There's a review of the online portion that I viewed last night on FaceBook (can't access it from work) that had part of the answer - the NRA doesn't really have a good way to verify that NRA instructors are actually teaching the NRA curriculum in classes.  I know when I took my first instructor class, the training counselor mentioned that at least one instructor had lost his certification because he was offering the class over Skype, and somebody informed the NRA, so one of the people at NRA HQ signed up for his class and took it.  By requiring that a portion of the course go through NRA HQ, they can guarantee that at least THAT portion of the curriculum is taught to standards (the NRA training division is pretty small, less than a dozen people, I've heard less than a half-dozen).  They're also implementing specific checklists for each student on the different firearm manipulation steps for different types of firearms, and specific marksmanship requirements, which is stricter than the old curriculum.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like the NRA whipped up an online video so they could take a portion of every class for revenue purposes.

I would put up with audits to insure compliance 100x before making my students learn about how to manipulate a firearm from a computer
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

This

Luckily, as long as I remain a NRA Instructor, I can make my own course to qualify for AZ CCWs.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I would put up with audits to insure compliance 100x before making my students learn about how to manipulate a firearm from a computer

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is why they still require three hours of classroom instruction on top of the online portion of the class  (one of the criticisms of the online portion in the video is that they evidently assumed that any single-action revolvers the students would encounter were modern with transfer-bar safeties, so it did not teach to only load five rounds, with the empty chamber under the hammer, and that some pistols require being at half-cock for loading and unloading).

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Which is why they still require three hours of classroom instruction on top of the online portion of the class  (one of the criticisms of the online portion in the video is that they evidently assumed that any single-action revolvers the students would encounter were modern with transfer-bar safeties, so it did not teach to only load five rounds, with the empty chamber under the hammer, and that some pistols require being at half-cock for loading and unloading).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol... the guys that taught my class taught that with modern revolvers...
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
This

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was this a CCW class or the class you took to get your instructor's certification?  And, about what year was this?  

Talk about getting wrapped around the axil on details.  Sounds more like something from a "Welcome to the Wonderful World of Firearms" class right out of the sixties than something that would be covered in a CCW class.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah and putting the class further out of reach for some people on tight budgets.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This

Luckily, as long as I remain a NRA Instructor, I can make my own course to qualify for AZ CCWs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Except that they are going to require you to deliver some number of their courses every year to qualify for renewal.
AZ is fucked. Since the law says the course has to be delivered by public safety (who refuse to do them) or an NRA certified instructor, when all of the NRA instructors quit, no more CCW for AZ - unless you want to invest several days and $200+ for the NRA course given by one of the three remaining NRA instructors.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Mah Income. It's all about the income on all sides of the fucking equation.

LOL...It's sort of rich to see the "it's a gun not a weapon" NRA certified training weenies crying.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Except that they are going to require you to deliver some number of their courses every year to qualify for renewal.
AZ is fucked. Since the law says the course has to be delivered by public safety (who refuse to do them) or an NRA certified instructor, when all of the NRA instructors quit, no more CCW for AZ - unless you want to invest several days and $200+ for the NRA course given by one of the three remaining NRA instructors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Good point.....

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#50]
My instructor group is all volunteers. We charge $65 for the class currently which covers all of our ammo, range rental, materials, and classroom rental time. We are trying to figure out how we are going to accommodate this new blended training. It's becoming quite cumbersome.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top