Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/19/2016 2:00:25 PM EDT
Years ago I had  a pastor who used to be an anthropology professor; He explained
that in "Nation will rise against nation" he believed "Nation" meant "Ethnos"

As I understand it it will not be Russia against the USA etc
But one Group of people bound by a common culture against another group.

Sadly looking at world events I believe he was right.

I wish he were still alive so I could ask him, but he has since passed away.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Been that way since the beginning of time. We've just been a bit more civilized about it lately.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes Ethnos means ethic group against ethnic group. We're seeing that right now! Muslims, blacks, whites, others. You don't have to wish you could ask him...read your Bible. Its all right there.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]
who do you think the locust army is?!
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes Ethnos means ethic group against ethnic group. We're seeing that right now! Muslims, blacks, whites, others. You don't have to wish you could ask him...read your Bible. Its all right there.
View Quote

Indeed yes it is there.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Before it arrives, the country is like the Garden of Eden.
   When it leaves, it is Death Valley.
   Nothing escapes unscathed.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Years ago I had  a pastor who used to be an anthropology professor; He explained

View Quote

This has never happened before? Woah
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Very well might see it start kicking off in Europe soon...
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I always read that passage as "people group" against "people group".......

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Been that way since the beginning of time.
View Quote

This. All the "Diversity=Strength" nonsense the Left has been pushing in the last few decades isn't something that's really borne out by human history.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting.  That's the first time, that I remember, hearing it that way.  It does seem like we're gearing up for that to become a reality.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

I interpret that phrase the same way your former Pastor interprets it.

There is a reason why Farrakhan, , uses the name nation of islam for his group.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Like the Nation of Islam for example?
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#13]
It's not really that prophetic, is it? Ethnos was already rising against ethnos when that passage was written.

It seems kind of redundant, or stating the obvious.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#14]
READ HERE

Verse 7 is what you're looking for but the chapter puts it into context. Search the scriptures from this chapter/verse

Matthew 24King James Version (KJV)

24 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.

2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.

9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:

18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.

19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!

20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.

24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

25 Behold, I have told you before.

26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.

27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.

29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

37 But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,

39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.

44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?

46 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.

47 Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods.

48 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;

49 And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;

50 The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,

51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#15]
There was some awesome CSPAN panel video posted in GD maybe a year or two ago about a guy explaining that foreign policy is rapidly changing and devolving into groups and interests not nations.

You have terrorist groups, religious groups, anti abortion groups, BLM, etc. etc. its all becoming increasingly fragmented, yet are all causes people are willing to fight for.

I think that observation is spot on and you can see it happening before your eyes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Nation" and "nationality" referred to what we think of as ethnic group in the 19th century.

Nations have fought each other since forever.

Now is not the season of doom. But many, many fools have thought they were living in it, since forever.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There was some awesome CSPAN panel video posted in GD maybe a year or two ago about a guy explaining that foreign policy is rapidly changing and devolving into groups and interests not nations.

You have terrorist groups, religious groups, anti abortion groups, BLM, etc. etc. its all becoming increasingly fragmented, yet are all causes people are willing to fight for.

I think that observation is spot on and you can see it happening before your eyes.
View Quote

Nations arise from cultures, not the other way around.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

It would seem that what is happening even inside of a culture is a contemporary form of tribalism.

It isn't enough anymore to be a christian, a conservative, middle class, etc.  You have to belong to a subset of each, and if you don't hold the beliefs that others hold, you will hold it against them or they will hold it against you.

Perhaps I lack historical perspective and this has always been the case.  However, it seems to be worse now than at any time during my life.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

---Snip ---

it seems to be worse now than at any time during my life.
View Quote

Same here, I'm 51 and It sure seems to have gotten far worse all over the world lately

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Same here, I'm 51 and It sure seems to have gotten far worse all over the world lately

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

---Snip ---

At 55 I am amazed at the change, it seems we are a meaner people (in general) and politeness is slowly fading.

While I don't see it as a war per say, I do feel there is a division happening and with that the potential for outbreaks or pockets of fighting.

I still feel we are the safest place on earth compared to other countries (at this time.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

---Snip ---

The world is actually a lot more peaceful these past couple of decades than it's been in most of human history.  ISIS is only a low point when compared with the high peace we've been at it.

The main difference is that today we hear about every little disturbance through out the world.  50 years ago, atrocities could be committed and no one would know. 500 years ago entire wars could break out, entire peoples destroyed, and Europe wouldn't know.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#22]
"Two nations are in thy womb..." Or something like that.  Not going to look up the exact reference, but yeah.  Two peoples.  And in fact, it's exactly what you're talking about.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Christians must have thought the same thing during the migration era.

This isn't new.  People have been saying the same thing about the same kind of situation for centuries.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Perhaps I lack historical perspective and this has always been the case.  However, it seems to be worse now than at any time during my life.
View Quote

I believe a person living 1900 would have more in common with Noah, than they would with a person living in 2016

Knowledge, technology, and also evil is advancing at an exponential pace. Could the ancient baal and molech worshipers ever have even imagined tens of millions of modern day abortions for instance...
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probs.

Really, I have more in common with a lot of Catholics, belief and ethos wise, living on the other side of the planet than I do with people I went to HS with.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This isn't new.  People have been saying the same thing about the same kind of situation for centuries.
View Quote

True, but we're running out of room, and now we have the means more than ever to wipe out civilization. There's a big difference of how it was going to happen back then to how it can actually happen today.

"I can't tell you what weapons WW3 will be fought with, but WW4 will be fought with sticks and stones" ~Albert Einstein.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

True, but we're running out of room, and now we have the means more than ever to wipe out civilization. There's a big difference of how it was going to happen back then to how it can actually happen today.

"I can't tell you what weapons WW3 will be fought with, but WW4 will be fought with sticks and stones" ~Albert Einstein.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There will never be a nuclear war between nations to wipe out civilization.

There will be wars and nations rising up, but eventually a single ruler (the antichrist) will rise up and take control of a single unified world government. And peace will be declared. This might be now or in the year 3000, only God knows but I believe we are close. All this technology being developed by the NSA and similar will be used to root out any person who disagrees with the Beast system or the Antichrist, and any remenant of the true church will be hunted down and tortured and persecuted.  However, after a few years of the Antichrist's rule, God will have had enough and will put a stop to it, eventually ushering in the millennial reign.

You know the reason that Europe and other areas are a delusion to be flooded with migrants? Simple: to break down the individual qualities of nations so they can be absorbed into the one world system.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

At 55 I am amazed at the change, it seems we are a meaner people (in general) and politeness is slowly fading.

While I don't see it as a war per say, I do feel there is a division happening and with that the potential for outbreaks or pockets of fighting.

I still feel we are the safest place on earth compared to other countries (at this time.
View Quote

The thing is, that could change in a heartbeat.

Naked, brute force is the only reason the U.S. has been one country since 1865. It has never been one country culturally or politically and still isn't. The U.S. is not a homogeneous population like, for example, Denmark or even Germany. There are more racial, ethnic, political, and economic subdivisions in the U.S. now that at any time in the past, and a fair number of the various "subdivisions" hate each other's fucking guts.

Further, the U.S. has always been a violent country. Americans of every stripe know violence. Some more than others, but still. There isn't a day that goes by where it doesn't make its presence known in our lives. All you have to do is pick up a newspaper, turn on the television, or look at the Internet. And this is during a time of relative peace and prosperity.

Yeah, depending upon the circumstances, I could see things going to shit fast.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#30]
These are general statements that have applied throughout the entirety of human history, before, during and after they were said/written.

At no point did these talks of wars, disease, and famine not hold true SOMEWHERE in the world.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
These are general statements that have applied throughout the entirety of human history, before, during and after they were said/written.

At no point did these talks of wars, disease, and famine not hold true SOMEWHERE in the world.  
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With regards to "running out of room" - there are definitely too many people in certain pockets of the world. That's not the root cause of it.

The advent of the internet resulted in all of these cultures and ideas, and the people who believe in them, being locked in a virtual room together. The only way out is to disconnect. Modern communication and social networking has increased the idealogical "noise" by a significant factor, and people are becoming increasingly agitated and turning to battle one another rather than removing themselves from it.

As much as I love the internet, frankly as a civilization I think in many ways we were far better off without it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, but we're hitting an actual wall with no place else to go. Back 200 years ago we didn't have that problem. All it takes is one person with a lot of power to bring it all down. Saying otherwise is living in a fantasy land.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

With regards to "running out of room" - there are definitely too many people in certain pockets of the world. That's not the root cause of it.

The advent of the internet resulted in all of these cultures and ideas, and the people who believe in them, being locked in a virtual room together. The only way out is to disconnect. Modern communication and social networking has increased the idealogical "noise" by a significant factor, and people are becoming increasingly agitated and turning to battle one another rather than removing themselves from it.

As much as I love the internet, frankly as a civilization I think in many ways we were far better off without it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't disagree with that, but at the same time man gets tired of music, women, and drinking before they get tired of war. Especially men with power.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#36]
The Koine goes:

"egerthisetai gar ethnos epi ethnos..."

egeíro means "I raise up, I awaken", and "gar" is a variable conjunction that is difficult to translate, but basically means "for".  "epi", on.

"...kai vasileia epi vasileian..."

"...and Kingdom "on" Kingdom..."

egerthisetai gar ethnos epi ethnos kai vasileia epi vasileian kai esontai seismoi kata topous kai esontai limoi kai tarachai archai odinon tafta. (1550 Stephanus)
For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be earthquakes in divers places, and there shall be famines and troubles: these are the beginnings of sorrows.(KJV)

http://biblehub.com/greek/1484.htm
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
...and now we have the means more than ever to wipe out civilization.
View Quote

Please explain how we have more means in 2016 than say 1986.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...and now we have the means more than ever to wipe out civilization.

Yeah, but in 1986 we had parachute pants. No one's blowing up the world when they've got parachute pants.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Yes, but we're hitting an actual wall with no place else to go. Back 200 years ago we didn't have that problem. All it takes is one person with a lot of power to bring it all down. Saying otherwise is living in a fantasy land.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We're a victim of our own success.

I honestly believe that, barring a planet killer asteroid or looking down the barrel of a gamma ray burst, there will be human beings kicking around, possibly in some post apocalyptic wasteland, for thousands of years after both you and I are dead.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#41]
When the Jews return to Zion / And a comet rips the sky / And the Holy Roman Empire rises, / Then You and I must die. / From the eternal sea he rises, / Creating armies on either shore, / Turning man against his brother / 'Til man exists no more.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#42]
It's never happened befo
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

FSA devouring everything in its path

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Wow, that's so amazing that you knew someone who was able to tell you that one group of people will kill a different group of people.

It doesn't take a PhD to know that shit is going to happen. Name a decade since 1900 where there wasn't a major conflict.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 11:31:44 PM EDT
[#45]
this is the line that strikes me:

10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that from Revelation?
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

2 Thessalonians 3:  10

For even when we were with you, this we commanded you: that if any would not work, neither should he eat.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
this is the line that strikes me:

View Quote

Nevah happen befo.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 11:42:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

A PLAGUE UPON THE EARTH!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 11:47:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's like post democrat California.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top