Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/19/2016 1:56:33 PM EDT
Are they better than regular vehicle batteries?  Worth the extra coin?

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#1]
They used to be good batteries, then they moved to Mexico.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I used to buy them exclusively then they started dying within two years. Of course I'd get them replaced under warranty but it was just a PITA.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't go wrong with a NAPA Gold.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#4]
No. You can get the technology but go with a different brand.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The battery in my Solstice just died yesterday.

I looked at the Red Top but decided that for the cost, the OEM AC Delco that has been in my car since I bought it new in 2006 worked fine.

I don't know any reason why I should replace a battery that lasted 10 years here in AZ with something else.....
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#6]
No . Optima quality is crap .my yellow top died in under a year

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]
The best battery I have used offroad was a DieHard Platinum.  
About the same cost as an Optima red or yellow, and the same or better specs. Plus a four year warranty.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#8]
They are sheit. I said Vaya con dios to Optima when I had two post Mehcio ones take a shit in less then two years.

I got almost a decade out of the pre mehico ones usually.

We use them for work [two batteries] and they shit the bed on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Go with a Diehard or Interstate.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, soon as they left Johnson Controls they started to suck. My last Yellow Top popped the damn positive terminal and they said it wasn't warrantied.

If you need, or want, a great AGM battery then I suggest Die Hard Platinum.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Nope. 10 years ago they were great. They're utter shit today.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

IIRC, DieHard Platinum AGM are rebranded Odyssey (GOOD chit)
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are, and about $100 less too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#14]
OP should notice that EVERYONE has said pretty much the same exact thing...........................rare on ARFcom unless something really has turned to sheit.

I really try hard not to buy American goods that are now mehican shit.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought an Evermaxx at Walmart, does the job I need it to in the recent cold, zero/single digits.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Get an Odyssey or a Diehard Platinum AGM if you want a tier 1 battery.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Get any of the good quality batteries that are known to last longer.  I have it from good authority that the price of batteries is about to jump again here very soon
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#18]
My most recent red top was FUBAR inside 13 months.  Simply would not hold a charge.  Onyl plus is that they replaced it no questions asked.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#19]

no on the redtop.

several other better choices in this thread.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bought an Evermaxx at Walmart, does the job I need it to in the recent cold, zero/single digits.
View Quote

WM batteries are either made my Johnson Controls or Exide, but I think JC produces the most for them. Read the fine print if you care. Either is good but I think JC batteries are better.

WM batteries offer the best bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#21]
OP - do you know anyone in the used car game?

Most cities have at least one battery/electrical place that sells blemished/manufacturer over-runs. Usually no label or a plain black and white label.  Short warranty but half-price or less.   This is the place all the used car places will buy their replacement batteries for their stock.  My father also runs them in his personal vehicles.  In Amarillo, this place is Grand Battery and Electric on Grand Street, and these have always given excellent service considering their small cost.

Some place like this ...

Blemished batteries
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

WM batteries are either made my Johnson Controls or Exide, but I think JC produces the most for them. Read the fine print if you care. Either is good but I think JC batteries are better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been buying Walmart batteries for a while now.  No issues.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Die Hard (Sears)
Interstate (Costco)

Duralast (Autozone)

Everstart (Walmart)

Prostart (PepBoys)

Are all made by Johnson Controls and are good to go.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Die Hard (Sears) Interstate (Costco)
Duralast (Autozone)
Everstart (Walmart)
Prostart (PepBoys)
http://bestbatterytips.com/tags/who-makes-die-hard-batteries/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Die Hard (Sears) Interstate (Costco)
Duralast (Autozone)
Everstart (Walmart)
Prostart (PepBoys)
http://bestbatterytips.com/tags/who-makes-die-hard-batteries/

Diehard Platinum are made by EnerSys.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#26]
No. Red tops suck. They're junk.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OP should notice that EVERYONE has said pretty much the same exact thing...........................rare on ARFcom unless something really has turned to sheit.

I really try hard not to buy American goods that are now mehican shit.
View Quote

YEP.

Thank you guys!  Will NOT be purchasing.  Glad I asked!!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#28]
My last yellow top only lasted a little over three years so I bought a deep cycle Autocraft battery this time. It was about $75 cheaper. I've only had it about 2 years now, but so far so good.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#29]
No

Get an Exide AGM
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Always had good luck with Walmart batteries until my last one. I guess I could actually look at that as good luck too considering it died with two months left on full replacement warranty. Only trouble I had was the battery was showing as good but wouldn't crank car. Swapped two different batteries into vehicle and both cranked car even though one of them was half dead. Told Walmart about it and they replaced it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a Northstar

I've been most impressed

oem Toyota batteries are rated 84 months FYI
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#32]
No.

Get Interstate or high end Diehard.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Are they better than regular vehicle batteries?  Worth the extra coin?

View Quote
No.

Hell No.

Not worth buying.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#34]
My old yellow top is still going strong, not sure where it was made but it's at least 6 years old. I run Odyssey in my boats, skis and tractor, going to look into the DieHard Platinum if reports of it being an Odyssey are correct. Never had an issue with any of those except one I put in storage without a full charge. 2 years later it wouldn't take a charge from my old charger and thought it was dead. Put it on a digital charger and it took a few days but it came back to life and still works years later.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#35]
I buy about 50 interstate batteries per year.  It helps they have a shop about 2 blocks from mine .  They seem to hold up in everything we put em in
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Mines been going strong for 6 years I  recommend them and interstate to our customers whatever you choose get a gel agm
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#37]
If your a Costco member, take a look at their batteries. They sell Interstate at a great price and they are very highly rated. Just put in two for my Duramax diesel.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#38]
I've never had a battery in my truck last more than 2 years. So, every other battery I buy is replaced under warranty.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#39]
No, not anymore.  Buy a Wal-Mart top shelf battery.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Can't go wrong with a NAPA Gold.
View Quote

this or the auto zone premium line.

they all last 5-7 years, no matter from AK to the dessert
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Just picked up one of these at napa for 100 dollars.

2 year replacement and 80 month pro-rated.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no more die hard platinum. They don't carry them anymore.

Pro Tip- That same battery is now being sold as a X2 Power at Batteries plus. Even better warranty (5 year iirc). Or pay the big bucks for the Odyssey.

I've bought 12 group 31 batteries from Batteries plus since Die Hard dropped the Platinum line. Now there is 0 reasons to go to Sears.

The optima batteries were great 15-20 years ago. The technology was good for back then. Now, it's not that great of a battery. Better stuff out there for less money. Warranty isn't that great compared to the thin lead plate sealed batteries.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I have an advance auto house brand one that is ready to shit on my after 3 years. Not very happy.

Apparently all group 58 batteries are fucking shit or $250.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The battery in my Solstice just died yesterday.

I looked at the Red Top but decided that for the cost, the OEM AC Delco that has been in my car since I bought it new in 2006 worked fine.
I don't know any reason why I should replace a battery that lasted 10 years here in AZ with something else.....
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#45]
I quit using Optimas and started using everstart Max from Walmart.  I have a Ram diesel.  2 batteries.  I have noticed no difference and get more warranty.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Optimas used to be good batteries, until they "value engineered" the fuck out of them, and now they're unreliable shiite. The spiral-wound AGM technology isn't the problem--It's the way they connect the cells. The old way was much sturdier, and not so prone to failure. The technique they are using now almost guarantees failure.

The whole thing is a perfect example of brand inertia--Early Optimas really were the shit, but they've been coasting on the reputation earned by the early products for about ten-fifteen years now, and I can't believe that anyone still buys them. Hell, I watched a buddy of mine replace the Optima in his truck three times in the same damn week, and he was still in love with the damn things. I'm like "Hey, at what point are you going to grasp that these aren't the same batteries you bought six years ago...?".
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Should I get an optima anything?
View Quote
         NO!

My last optima was replaced 3 times during the warranty period.  Garbage.  I bought a cheap battery to replace it, and it is going strong several years later.  Nothing has changed on the vehicle, so it must have been all three optimas.  Three strikes you're out.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Back when the redtop Optimas first came out, I got one for free because it was in a parts car I bought for a song (ant parted the rest of the car out out for more than I paid). I put that battery in my datsun 280z and used it for my race battery for over 6 years.... held great charge, would recharge in full and hold after sitting unused for 6 to 10 months at a time... what a great battery... but after hearing that the production switch killed the quality, I started using Deka's and they are not only very high quality, but also lightweight and perform like the Redtop in terms of recharge and longevity...
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Pro Tip- That same battery is now being sold as a X2 Power at Batteries plus. Even better warranty (5 year iirc). Or pay the big bucks for the Odyssey.

I've bought 12 group 31 batteries from Batteries plus since Die Hard dropped the Platinum line. Now there is 0 reasons to go to Sears.

The optima batteries were great 15-20 years ago. The technology was good for back then. Now, it's not that great of a battery. Better stuff out there for less money. Warranty isn't that great compared to the thin lead plate sealed batteries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, what? I just bought a die hard platinum at the sears store a few months ago. Looks like my local store still stocks them, might be a regional thing?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top