Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/18/2016 2:23:21 PM EDT
I rotate my tires every 6 months but was wondering if I should balance them as well?  Does anyone notice a notable difference when they do this as part of regular maintenance?
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't worry about it unless I feel a vibration.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Your tires will last a hell of a lot longer if you balance and rotate them regularly and keep them properly inflated.

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I have mine balanced and rotated every 5K like clock work. and usually get every mile they are rated to go.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:28:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's how I roll.  Only rotate, and balance if I get highway speed vibration.  That being said I never had to rebalance a tire.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it depends on what you drive. I have an old S2000 and if the tire pressure gets off just a bit, it jumps around when you change gears. I have to watch the balance, rotation, inflation, etc. like a hawk or it's all over the place. I literally check the tires every 2 months.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I rotate my tires every 6 months but was wondering if I should balance them as well?  Does anyone notice a notable difference when they do this as part of regular maintenance?
View Quote

As in every 5,000 miles
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Your tires will last a hell of a lot longer if you balance and rotate them regularly and keep them properly inflated.

View Quote

Well said.  
It really comes down to that^

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#8]

I balance the tires on my Rover once a year.

Usually because I knock several of the weights off on my annual offroading trip.

It can make for a shakey drive back to Texas.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Meh, I do it like every other year, if I remember.  I don't think it makes a huge diff for regular commuter driving.  My tires have lasted for close to two decades now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

This and I am an alignment tech at  tire shop. Improperly balanced tires can cause premature tire wear and lend to vibrations that can also cause bearing failure.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Why not just replace the tires yearly?
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This and I am an alignment tech at  tire shop. Improperly balanced tires can cause premature tire wear and lend to vibrations that can also cause bearing failure.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

By not balancing my tires regularly, I'm keeping you employed.

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I get my pickup tires balanced every other oil change/rotation.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I get my pickup tires balanced every other oil change/rotation.
View Quote

and I rotate the spare in.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#15]
5 tire rotation every 6-7 thousand miles.  Air pressure check monthly and a chalk test to test even wearing.  I don't really worry about the ballance unless something feels off.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey Duck,thank you for your support
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I get free lifetime balance and rotation. So every 3k for me. Tires last longer and cuts down on vibration.

Now if we can get businesses to stop selling out of round tires we'd all have a better set of tires.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I've never had a tire rebalanced. I do watch my pressure and rotate.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I prefer to do it every other oil change.  I've always thought it to be better buying 4 tires at a time because no one respects that guy
always buying front tires only
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think it depends on what you drive. I have an old S2000 and if the tire pressure gets off just a bit, it jumps around when you change gears. I have to watch the balance, rotation, inflation, etc. like a hawk or it's all over the place. I literally check the tires every 2 months.
View Quote

I had an AP1 S2K. Directional tread with different sizes front & rear. Those tires don't get rotated like a Camry.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I can't rotate ever. I don't balance unless I feel a vibration

265/40-19 in front
285/35-20 in rear
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, but how often does a tire "lose balance"?  Outside of a tossed weight, bent wheel, or skid spot I can't think of how a tire would lose balance in normal operation -- and for the latter two you are looking at replacing the wheel or tire.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#23]
i rotate mine about every 10k miles
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I rotate and balance my Michelins every 7500 miles.  I've only lost 3/32" of tread in 42000 miles. I'll be surprised if I don't get 80k from the set...

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Meh, I do it like every other year, if I remember.  I don't think it makes a huge diff for regular commuter driving.  My tires have lasted for close to two decades now.
View Quote

Tires that old are dangerous.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sure, but how often does a tire "lose balance"?  Outside of a tossed weight, bent wheel, or skid spot I can't think of how a tire would lose balance in normal operation -- and for the latter two you are looking at replacing the wheel or tire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This can happen at any time and you wont notice unless it is significantly out of balance,good reason to get them checked occasionally. Better safe than sorry right.....
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I know it makes sense to do it....

But I haven't done it at all. And my tires are fine. 100k plus miles on them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Sometimes I wonder if commonly accepted "best practices " aren't as important  as we make them out to be.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tires do not wear perfectly evenly.  Their construction is also not perfectly uniform.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sometimes I wonder if commonly accepted "best practices " aren't as important  as we make them out to be.
View Quote

I think I rotated the first set of tires that came with my Sport Trac only once maybe twice. I ended up getting 70,000 miles on them. They had a little tread left on them and I was able to sell them to Discount Tire for $20 each. On my last truck, a Ford Ranger, I rotated them every other oil change and the first set of tires lasted around 50,000. They may have had different mileage ratings, but IIRC they were the same brand.

I don't think you are going to burn through a set of tires in 20,000 miles or have your tires go bald before the mileage rating if you don't.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Tires do not wear perfectly evenly.  Their construction is also not perfectly uniform.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly my point,tire balance and wear is a dynamic situation and many things can cause tire wear and out of balance conditions over time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#32]
You'll want t o rotate out the old air as well.

Nothing feels like fresh air, in a good set of Michelins.

. And don't let any fist fucking  Phaggots tell you any   "Nitrogen  bullshit"

Clean, dry AIR is what God and John Moses Browning used in their tires, and that is good enough for you.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Clean, dry AIR is what God and John Moses Browning used in their tires, and that is good enough for you.

View Quote

I have to agree and disagree,for the average consumer air is fine,for the motoring connoisseurs and gullible nothing but nitrogen will do

BTW we don't sell or carry nitrogen in our shop
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#34]
"Speed's just a question of money. How fast d'you wanna go?"
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have to agree and disagree,for the average consumer air is fine,for the motoring connoisseurs and gullible nothing but nitrogen will do

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Air is 78% nitrogen
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Tires are subject to impact damage on the steel belts or bias ply part of their construction which can change the balance over time. Hitting shit like potholes, RR crossing, debris in the road, etc. at speed all effect tire balance.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got 80K miles out of the tires on my SUV.
The SUV has never been aligned.
The SUV has never had the tires rotated.
The SUV has never had the tires balanced.
The tires were replaced at 10 years due to tire rot.
The tires did get air and were never lower than 35 pounds and never over 39 pounds.
The SUV never hit a curb to need alignment.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

As long as you switch out summer air for winter air you're GTG.

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I think its pretty important ... but I am no automotive expert by any means

I know Costco rebalances the tires on every rotation ( free service )

I buy Michelin Tires at Costco only and this is one of the big reasons why.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Why not just replace the tires yearly?
View Quote

This, lots of room in the landfill.

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I just run balancing beads
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what every tech has ever told me when I worked for Toyota. Don't fuck with it unless getting vibration but always rotate.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:20:18 PM EDT
[#43]
I usually don't have tires last long enough to try and take care of them.  However since getting my Jeep, I have managed to get 27k out of the current tires and they still have a ways to go.  I try and get the rotated and balanced every 6k or so.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#44]
If by some strange occurrance the tire monkey actually gets the balance right and I have no vibrations I don't get the tires rebalanced.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#45]
I just leave the tires alone get 20/30 out of the front and about 70/90k out of the back. . Trucks and SUVs I will rotate you have to or they cup so bad it is undriveable.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Never I drive so little they dry rot before they wear out. I'm on my fourth set and have 110k miles on a 14 year old suv.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#47]
I neeverrr ropate o barance mi tirres. In farct, I ermmmmm dribing dowm the roard an terpin thi mesge rigggght noww.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Get your new tires balanced at installation, make sure they and the wheels are balanced and round and then install antifreeze.  Never worry about it again.

2 trailers, one 4x4 with 35" tires, one 1 ton truck, one DD '92 Pathfinder, one DD Toyota Avalon, son's car, daughter's car, all with antifreeze and with balanced tires for the life of the tire.

Easy Peasy.

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Rotate every other oil change.

Balance if they get chunked out or I notice a funny vibration.

Nitrogen is only needed for very specific track oriented cars.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#50]
I should probably rotate my tires
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top