Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Trump has publicly defended the NSA's domestic spying during this campaign as well. Really took him down a notch in my book.

Now the question is - what if anything has Cruz said about this issue?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Meh. Can't be right about everything.
Still Trump 2016
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yet you have touted Rubio as our best chance to beat the Dems

How could someone who remotely considers themselves conservative vote for someone who wants amnesty and sanctuary cities?

Blows my mind
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm honestly not sure how anyone who considers themselves even remotly 'conservative' could be for D. Trump.

It blows my mind.

It blows my mind that 'conservatives' in the US are going to elect a fucking liberal-statist idiot to be their nominee.  It's both laughably hilarious and tragically sad at the same time.  

How could someone who remotely considers themselves conservative vote for someone who wants amnesty and sanctuary cities?

Blows my mind

Cruz 2016.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Trump is wrong.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Still Trump 2016
View Quote

What would trump have to say for you to say no?

Is there anything?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I also don't think he thought through the full ramifications of his statement.  He's great for tossing out off the cuff answers, but many of them aren't well thought through.  
View Quote

He knows it doesn't matter. He can take any position and be lauded for it as long as he delivers it with bravado.

Ramifications are for pussies.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Is there anything?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Still Trump 2016

Is there anything?
He would probably have to support the Assault Weapons Ban (again).

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So what I now come to realize is that there is no candidate still in the running who is truly willing to do away with the Patriot Act / government spying on it's citizens.

All of them support it. Every god damned one of them that are still in the race.
View Quote

Nope, we might as well take what we can get. From my perspective Trump will at least change the direction on immigration, trade and foreign policy. Mass surveillance isn't really on voter's minds, of course it didn't help that Rand spent way too much time on other bullshit instead of what made him stand out.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
BOOM
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? Cruz, who voted to re-up the Patriot Act? Who couldn't be bothered to show up for a vote on Audit the Fed? Who sends out flyers trying to scare people into voting for him, under the guise of some official document? Who is tied directly to Goldman-Sachs? The guy who was pro-amnesty just a few months ago?

Clearly, he is the only obvious choice because all of that just fucking screams American, conservative values.

BOOM
LOL.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Rubio got crushed by Chris Christie of all people. So much that it sank him by over 50% in the New Hampshire polls

He stood there, a stuttering mess, drenching sweat, repeating the same line over several times

The polls don't take in account the attacks dished on him by Bernie or Hillary. They haven't even attacked him ONCE yet
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to put words in Canada brother's mouth but I believe he's be quite consistent that Cruz is the only logical choice. However, if the goal is to beat Hillary only and the hell with principles then Rubio is the obvious choice from a polling perspective. Seems that's the only metric that Trumpbots care about so I guess you're backing the wrong horse or won't admit it's all about emotion.

Rubio got crushed by Chris Christie of all people. So much that it sank him by over 50% in the New Hampshire polls

He stood there, a stuttering mess, drenching sweat, repeating the same line over several times

The polls don't take in account the attacks dished on him by Bernie or Hillary. They haven't even attacked him ONCE yet

I think I can say NO ONE gives two shits about Rubio here, I for one do not. That said polling (outside of GD or Trump the world,) shows Rubio doing the best against Hillary.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
BTW, Cruz voted to reauthorize the Patriot Act
View Quote

I am not opposed to the ENTIRE Patriot Act.  I fully support the interagency data sharing that was mandated by the Patriot Act.

I am opposed to the continued warrantless mass surveillance that has and is occurring under the auspices of the PA.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

This has been one of the issues I've disagreed with him on for awhile.  It's also one of the issues that might come before a SC judge and I want a strict originalist to rule on.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The guy's a statist. Who knew?

This
This has been one of the issues I've disagreed with him on for awhile.  It's also one of the issues that might come before a SC judge and I want a strict originalist to rule on.  
Even Scalia would have allowed this, there is a court order, properly derived from over whelming probable cause.   I am as much for privacy and constitutional rights as anyone here but how is this different than a search warrant that was executed on the residence of these same people?   Warrant-less wire taps or searches are an abomination and those that execute them should be tried and imprisoned....but this is a court order, that isn't even controversial.  Does anyone here think that the FBI doesn't have proper cause to be searching this device?

My second point is this....do any of you buy this load of bullshit?  You're trying to tell me that the US federal government can't compromise an iphone?  They are supposed to be fighting an international cyber war with criminals and sovereign governments and they can't crack one of the most popular consumer electronic devices on the planet? I don't buy it....not even a little. These are the people that infected the planet with the worlds most sophisticated worm designed to physically destroy equipment that wasn't even connected to a network, and they are at the mercy of Tim Cook? yeah....no.  

The FBI has been whining on capital hill about the threat of encryption, my personal feeling is this is just a way to further that case. Hand the fucking thing to Ft. Meade and check back after lunch.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Is there anything?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still Trump 2016

Is there anything?

Probably the same for everyone else here who's shooting the shit saying they won't vote for him but if he's on the ticket in the general, they'll hold their nose and vote for him as vote against Hillary.
Already been on thread on here by a guy saying he changed his mind and vote Trump if it came down to it..

Personally I'll admit it my only goal at this point is to give a FU to both parties and to be entertained.
Trump is that so I'm rolling with it until he's off the main ticket. May never get another chance to piss off both sides in one swoop.
There is no perfect candidate, at least not one that has a chance in hell of getting elected
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Even Scalia would have allowed this, there is a court order, properly derived from over whelming probable cause.   I am as much for privacy and constitutional rights as anyone here but how is this different than a search warrant that was executed on the residence of these same people?   Warrant-less wire taps or searches are an abomination and those that execute them should be tried and imprisoned....but this is a court order, that isn't even controversial.  Does anyone here think that the FBI doesn't have proper cause to be searching this device?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You have to remember that a warrant gives the government PERMISSION to do something that would otherwise be prohibited. It's not a magic judicial wand that guarantees their success. To use your house search example, if I get a warrant that allows me to search a house because I have PC to believe that there are illegal drugs there, there's not a damn thing I can do about it if they get flushed before I get there, or if they're so well hidden that I don't find them.

In other words, sometimes the government loses (which is not a bad thing), and that isn't because the warrant system is flawed.

My second point is this....do any of you buy this load of bullshit?  You're trying to tell me that the US federal government can't compromise an iphone?  They are supposed to be fighting an international cyber war with criminals and sovereign governments and they can't crack one of the most popular consumer electronic devices on the planet? I don't buy it....not even a little. These are the people that infected the planet with the worlds most sophisticated worm designed to physically destroy equipment that wasn't even connected to a network, and they are at the mercy of Tim Cook? yeah....no.  

Yes, I am inclined to believe it. They (the FBI) are incredibly inept at technology issues like this, despite their enormous budget.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The FBI has been whining on capital hill about the threat of encryption, my personal feeling is this is just a way to further that case. Hand the fucking thing to Ft. Meade and check back after lunch.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This

I disagree with you.  They have a warrant.  Searching the phone is no problem.  They just can't make sense of what they can see.  The court order they have issued requires Apple to create software that disables some of the phones security features (which Apple may or may not be able to do).  This will enable the FBI to brute force the short key that unlocks the large key to decrypt the phone.  I have no problem with the FBI hiring someone to create software that attempts to do this, but Apple should not be forced to perform services (that they may not be able to perform in the first place).

Having worked around some hardware based encrypted devices, if it is implemented properly, it doesn't matter what Apple attempts to do, they will just end up bricking the phone.  Encryption works.  You can't beat the encryption by brute forcing it, that's why you have to attack it from the side.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't believe for one second that the FBI (or the NSA) can't get into that phone, they just don't want to reveal that they can...
View Quote

Bingo.

If they can't get into a fucking I phone, we're fucked right up the ol poopchute against the Chicoms or the Russians.

But Trump is wrong on this. He sounds like the Fat Bastard from Joisey.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:23:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Lol, some "conservative" he is
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No shit. He has repeatedly said he doesn't mind the govt spying on everyone so long as it is done correctly.

Said Rand Paul was an idiot for being outraged over the whole NSA stuff.
View Quote

No, he was just an idiot for the way he reacted to Trump from the git go.

He made himself look like a petulant child.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Bingo.

If they can't get into a fucking I phone, we're fucked right up the ol poopchute against the Chicoms or the Russians.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't believe for one second that the FBI (or the NSA) can't get into that phone, they just don't want to reveal that they can...

Bingo.

Encryption, how does it work?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Bingo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

No we're not. Data moves, it doesn't just sit there on devices. When it moves, it's vulnerable. Among other vulnerabilities of devices themselves.

Unbreakable encryption scheme on a phone is not the end of the story. Not even close.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
No we're not. Data moves, it doesn't just sit there on devices. When it moves, it's vulnerable. Among other vulnerabilities of devices themselves.

Unbreakable encryption scheme on a phone is not the end of the story. Not even close.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bingo.

Agreed.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The "Terrorist Lives Matter" crowd is out in full force.
View Quote

No shit.   I'd bet they're the same bunch that would get their feelings hurt with water boarding, etc., against muslims we're at WAR with.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm honestly not sure how anyone who considers themselves even remotly 'conservative' could be for D. Trump.

It blows my mind.

It blows my mind that 'conservatives' in the US are going to elect a fucking liberal-statist idiot to be their nominee.  It's both laughably hilarious and tragically sad at the same time.  
View Quote

Well, in all fairness, you have proven that your mind is susceptible to being blown in the past.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I disagree with you.  They have a warrant.  Searching the phone is no problem.  They just can't make sense of what they can see.  The court order they have issued requires Apple to create software that disables some of the phones security features (which Apple may or may not be able to do).  This will enable the FBI to brute force the short key that unlocks the large key to decrypt the phone.  I have no problem with the FBI hiring someone to create software that attempts to do this, but Apple should not be forced to perform services (that they may not be able to perform in the first place).  

Having worked around some hardware based encrypted devices, if it is implemented properly, it doesn't matter what Apple attempts to do, they will just end up bricking the phone.  Encryption works.  You can't beat the encryption by brute forcing it, that's why you have to attack it from the side.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This

OK I'm on board with your points, but I'll say this, If you're Apple, would you rather do this work yourself and control the technology or have the Feebs hire a 3rd party and have the knowledge become public?

Bottom line, the FBI has a warrant, they ahve the legal right to access the info and decrypt it if possible.  That isn't even a question.

Encryption, even properly executed isn't perfect.  It can be broken by brute force, it's not practical with known technologies and methods but I would bets lots of money we, the public, aren't current on either.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So are people who don't understand how encryption works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So are people who don't understand how encryption works.

Is it about encryption or about a software lock on a phone that dollars to donuts Apple themselves have no key for?

Of which I am glad.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have a big problem with that. It's the same reason I don't support Patriot Act Cruz.

We're apparently never going to get a smaller government candidate to be the nominee, no matter what. I genuinely wish Rand could have gotten in.
View Quote

I'm no fan of  Rand Paul, but on this particular issue he's far better than all of the other candidates including Trump and Cruz.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bingo.

Well, clearly these guys don't know how it works...

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

Check out the big brain on dbrowne! That's right!

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

He knows it doesn't matter. He can take any position and be lauded for it as long as he delivers it with bravado.

Ramifications are for pussies Cruz .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also don't think he thought through the full ramifications of his statement.  He's great for tossing out off the cuff answers, but many of them aren't well thought through.  

Ramifications are for pussies Cruz .

translated
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Bottom line, the FBI has a warrant, they ahve the legal right to access the info and decrypt it if possible.  That isn't even a question. .

View Quote

They have the legal right to TRY to do that. If they can. Nothing more.

They have no entitlement to success.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

Damned if I know. I'm a poor dumb hillbilly.

But I figure the fucking FBI can prolly figger it out.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://now-here-this.timeout.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/200-11.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

http://now-here-this.timeout.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/200-11.gif

I know. Thank you. I'll be giving a lecture on rocket surgery over in the NFA forums this evening.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

He just lost my vote. We don't need a statist of any variety.

Cruz 2016
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is it. This will surely sink Trump's campaign

Cruz 2016

Trump is wrong on this issue so,"statist",

On the other hand; "not a statist" Cruz  actually voted for the Patriot Act......so Cruz 2016 ?b
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

Which is why they're trying to get Apple to do it for them, hahahaha
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Do we?

A.W.D.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.cnet.com/news/trump-apple-iphone-san-bernardino-encryption-fbi-terrorist/

"Who do they think they are? They have to open it up," Trump said. "I think security, overall, we have to open it up and we have to use our heads. We have to use common sense."

I'm disappointed that Trump came out with this.  Common sense says there's no point in breaking apple's encryption to read the second phone of a dead guy we already know everything about.

Do they really think that the super secret stuff is on the one device he didn't destroy?

Do we?

A.W.D.

What is the guys work phone going to tell us?  Is it going to tell us he was a radical muslim who wore funny clothes and imported a radical wife from the middle east?  Holy shit that would be a breakthrough!  Were we not watching this guy already, monitoring what came and went from his devices?  If so, the incompetence doesn't justify the incompetent agencies forcing Apple to destroy their products so that the FBI can find out nothing, because there is not going to be anything interesting on that phone that they don't already have.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bottom line, the FBI has a warrant, they ahve the legal right to access the info and decrypt it if possible.  That isn't even a question. .

Nice to see the free market step in and protect people's privacy, since the government can't be trusted to.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#38]
He's for "common sense" - what could be wrong with common sense?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Trump is wrong.

View Quote

As much as I have enjoyed watching screw with the GOP I have to go with this.

I can't say that I was going to vote for him earlier or that I won't vote for him now, however, his stance on this does give me pause.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They're dead.  IDGAF
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're dead.  IDGAF

The problem is that if Apple caves on this it will all but guarantee that it will happen again in the future and this time it may not be a terrorist but instead it may just be a normal person that the .gov decides that they need to harass.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

On the other hand; "not a statist" Cruz  actually voted for the Patriot Act......so Cruz 2016 ?b
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is it. This will surely sink Trump's campaign

Cruz 2016

He also voted to end bulk data collection. Don't leave out all the details.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
From a technical standpoint...

Are the feds asking Apple to hack the single phone, or create a new OS with a back door? I keep getting conflicting reports.
View Quote

They are asking Apple to build a special pre-execution environment to permit disabling/bypassing of certain security measures without mucking around with the OS/data on the device. The court order specifies that it be tailored to the specific handset in custody but there is little or nothing that would prevent modification or reverse engineering of the new tool to work on other devices.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Really? Cruz, who voted to re-up the Patriot Act? Who couldn't be bothered to show up for a vote on Audit the Fed? Who sends out flyers trying to scare people into voting for him, under the guise of some official document? Who is tied directly to Goldman-Sachs? The guy who was pro-amnesty just a few months ago?

Clearly, he is the only obvious choice because all of that just fucking screams American, conservative values.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It blows my mind.

Blows my mind

Not to put words in Canada brother's mouth but I believe he's be quite consistent that Cruz is the only logical choice. However, if the goal is to beat Hillary only and the hell with principles then Rubio is the obvious choice from a polling perspective. Seems that's the only metric that Trumpbots care about so I guess you're backing the wrong horse or won't admit it's all about emotion.

Cruz's acolytes have granted The Cruz special dispensation to "evolve".

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No shit.   I'd bet they're the same bunch that would get their feelings hurt with water boarding, etc., against muslims we're at WAR with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you aware we executed japanese for the sole act of waterboarding?

But now it's ok?

Thats inconsistent, and dishonest.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#46]
I thought Apple was in the right but the more I read into this it appears Apple is wrong in saying the FBI wants a backdoor to their phones when they just want access to this one phone. Why doesn't Apple find the terrorist's on this one phone?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I thought Apple was in the right but the more I read into this it appears Apple is wrong in saying the FBI wants a backdoor to their phones when they just want access to this one phone. Why doesn't Apple find the terrorist's on this one phone?
View Quote

Read more.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

The 'tool' apple is being forced to make would open up my iphone to a brute force attack if the tool were leaked.

If you think it wouldn't ever get leaked, ever, then we disagree.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because he's of a protected class
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Cruz's acolytes have granted The Cruz special dispensation to "evolve".

https://thelapine.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Cruz-Halo-Sized-For-Bodycopy.jpg
View Quote

Check back in 2020. Maybe we'll have pulled a 180 on our opinions.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top