Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/14/2016 9:14:37 AM EDT
Factory barreled Remington 700 action in 300 win mag making hits on steel at 2200 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Oe3x-bFXA
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#2]
The mans got skills
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Holy shit.

Thats some awesome shit OP.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:31:59 AM EDT
[#4]
That's some nice shooting!
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Guys that isn't me...lol...I live in Iowa not Australia.  I just am a subscriber to their channel and thought it was cool they did this with a factory barreled action.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Good shooting for windy conditions

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guys that isn't me...lol...I live in Iowa not Australia.  I just am a subscriber to their channel and thought it was cool they did this with a factory barreled action.
View Quote

I don't care if its you or not I thought that video was cool.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Whats 2200 yards???

1.25 miles?

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep definitely very cool.   Especially like that he did a shot at the end without the wind dialed in so you could see where the bullet would impact if you don't account for wind.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Good shooting in the wind. Great spotter too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Whats 2200 yards???

1.25 miles?

View Quote

Yes, that's correct
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Does the 300 winmag not suffer from going unstable when breaking the subsonic velocity, like .223 and .308 WIN does?

I always shoot a 175SMK to keep my .308win moving supersonic to be able to get consistency at 1000yds.  At 2200 yards, that 230gr berger HAS to be subsonic....

When the velocity of a rifle bullet fired at supersonic muzzle velocity approaches the speed of sound it enters the transonic region. In the transonic region, an important thing that happens to most bullets, is that the centre of pressure (CP) shifts forward as the bullet decelerates. That CP shift affects the (dynamic) stability of the bullet. If the bullet is not well stabilized(a perfect spiral football throw), it can not remain pointing forward through the transonic region (the bullets starts to exhibit an unwanted coneing motion(wobbly football throw) that, if not dampened out, can eventually end in uncontrollable tumbling along the length axis). However, even if the bullet has sufficient stability (static and dynamic) to be able to fly through the transonic region and remain pointing forward, it is still affected. The erratic and sudden CP shift and (temporary) decrease of dynamic stability can cause significant dispersion (and hence significant accuracy decay), even if the bullet’s flight becomes well behaved again when it enters the subsonic region. This makes accurately predicting the ballistic behaviour of bullets in the transonic region very hard. Because of this, marksmen normally restrict themselves to engaging targets within the supersonic range of the bullet used.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Very impressive! The most I have shot out to is about 700yds
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Some work has been done on it.  The obvious are the muzzle brake and stock, but I wonder about the bedding and trigger?  In Australia (so an Australian told me) that you can't even mount a scope on your own but have to take it to a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does the 300 winmag not suffer from going unstable when breaking the subsonic velocity, like .223 and .308 WIN does?

I always shoot a 175SMK to keep my .308win moving supersonic to be able to get consistency at 1000yds.  At 2200 yards, that 230gr berger HAS to be subsonic....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

When the velocity of a rifle bullet fired at supersonic muzzle velocity approaches the speed of sound it enters the transonic region. In the transonic region, an important thing that happens to most bullets, is that the centre of pressure (CP) shifts forward as the bullet decelerates. That CP shift affects the (dynamic) stability of the bullet. If the bullet is not well stabilized(a perfect spiral football throw), it can not remain pointing forward through the transonic region (the bullets starts to exhibit an unwanted coneing motion(wobbly football throw) that, if not dampened out, can eventually end in uncontrollable tumbling along the length axis). However, even if the bullet has sufficient stability (static and dynamic) to be able to fly through the transonic region and remain pointing forward, it is still affected. The erratic and sudden CP shift and (temporary) decrease of dynamic stability can cause significant dispersion (and hence significant accuracy decay), even if the bullet’s flight becomes well behaved again when it enters the subsonic region. This makes accurately predicting the ballistic behaviour of bullets in the transonic region very hard. Because of this, marksmen normally restrict themselves to engaging targets within the supersonic range of the bullet used.

It's going to depend upon the bullet used not really the cartridge.  With the way it was grouping at that distance I doubt it was tumbling.  I have shot my 260 Remington out to 1665 yards in a negative density altitude where I was well below the speed of sound and got good results although the wind was a bit difficult.

Video of my 260 remington hitting steel at 1665 yards
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

From my understanding, Berger spends a lot of time with their bullets in the transonic flight envelope to make them more reliable to predict what they do when they slow down and to keep them as stable as possible. Like the 185 Juggernaut bullet in 30 cal, which I believe was expressly developed for long range .308 shooting, high BC and stays as stable as it can slowing down.

Awesome shooting!
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Some work has been done on it.  The obvious are the muzzle brake and stock, but I wonder about the bedding and trigger?  In Australia (so an Australian told me) that you can't even mount a scope on your own but have to take it to a gunsmith.
View Quote

The barreled action is as it came from the factory that is the most major factor on a rifles precision capability and it looks like it performs well.  The brake helps the shooter, but doesn't improve precision.  The scope base and scope setup is an important part of being able to shoot this distance without running out of turret.  I don't know about the trigger, but it doesn't make the barreled action any more accurate either.  A good trigger certainly helps the shooter and may impact the precision of the system, but it doesn't effect the inherent precision capability of the barreled action.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Very nice, this type of shooting is why I picked up a Rem 700 (in 270 WIN), I doubt I will get those crazy good shots but sure will try. If I can put nice groups at 300 yds I will be happy, heck 200 would make my day.

Thanks for sharing that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I need to go bullseye some womp rats with that guy.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Those are some real skilz!
Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Nothing wrong with the factory remington barrels. They could use a recrowning when you get them but they're very solid.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice shooting...but it's really not that difficult to shoot long range.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#24]
i could totally do that
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Video is a fake.  We all know that you can't own guns, let alone shoot them, in Australia.  

Some seriously awesome shooting, and dialing out the wind at the end was great to show just how much the wind can push a bullet.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol.  Just shut up now.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#27]
That is some hellacious shooting.  Especially in a gusty 10-15 mph wind.  I shoot at 1180 pretty regularly and I couldn't even dream of making shots like that at 2200.  

The guy had two rounds a couple inches apart, made a 1/2 minute correction and did the same thing.  If you take the correction out, that's four rounds in about 4" at 2200 yards.  Holy shit.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Two questions:

What was the little steel plate assembly the butt stock was resting on?

What was that "tape measure" app he used at the end? GPS based? Some sort of optical measure?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#29]
That's good shooting. He had a good steady rest which helps but being able to hit at that distance in that wind is impressive.  That target is just a hair over 1 MOA so many people would struggle to hit it with no wind.  The guys reloads have to have a very low SD to be able keep his shots that close vertical
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:17:35 AM EDT
[#30]
I thought GD didn't like Remington's.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Well under MOA with that and at 2200 meters. Damn
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Not taking away from his shooting (cause it's pretty damn impressive in that wind)  but my guess-----having done quite a bit of that kind of stuff myself.....is that this is not the first time he has put rounds down range at that target.  

Just sayin.  

The dirty little secret is that with a "decent" rifle and "decent" optics.....at a known location with predictable atmospherics I can put almost anyone behind it (and have) and have them making hits out to 1K pretty quickly.

What they don't know is how freeking much work went into developing the loads and DOPE (Data On Previous Engagements) to begin with.

The clue is that this guy dials in a pretty exacting elevation and wind and gets pretty darn close cold bore.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yards.  At that distance, the distinction is huge.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would have assumed Meters, but video said yards in the description
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Two questions:

What was the little steel plate assembly the butt stock was resting on?

What was that "tape measure" app he used at the end? GPS based? Some sort of optical measure?
View Quote

He makes his own adjustable bag base which you can see in his video description here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEnjqL_WAwc

As for the "tape measure" he uses it in all of his videos and talks about it one of them, but I don't know which one it is.  I believe it is a GPS based app.  Not many laser range finders work at that distance and the ones that do are very expensive.  What he does is probably the best way to get an accurate range since he can mark it on the app when he sets up the target.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Not taking away from his shooting (cause it's pretty damn impressive in that wind)  but my guess-----having done quite a bit of that kind of stuff myself.....is that this is not the first time he has put rounds down range at that target.  

Just sayin.  

The dirty little secret is that with a "decent" rifle and "decent" optics.....at a known location with predictable atmospherics I can put almost anyone behind it (and have) and have them making hits out to 1K pretty quickly.

What they don't know is how freeking much work went into developing the loads and DOPE (Data On Previous Engagements) to begin with.

The clue is that this guy dials in a pretty exacting elevation and wind and gets pretty darn close cold bore.  

View Quote

Big difference between 1000 yards and 2200 yards.  He has plenty of long range videos of various cartridges at extreme range so of course he knows how to develop hand loads and collect data on a rifle.  The elevation is the "easy" part for anyone that knows what they are doing, collects data, and takes logs.   His wind call was pretty darn good right off as well and then he fired a pretty good group in the wind at extreme range certainly not something just anyone can do without putting in the work before hand.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#37]

everybody knows you can't shoot like that unless your heels are on the ground......sheeeeesh

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

It isn't the barrels that suck. It says he did "some work" to the gun
Usually means trueing the action and lapping in the bolt. That said, impressive shooting.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Usually means trueing the action and lapping in the bolt. That said, impressive shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I already talked to him about that.  The action and barrel are as they came from the factory.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#40]
2200 yards = 1.36 miles = 7181 feet

Wow.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

everybody knows you can't shoot like that unless your heels are on the ground......sheeeeesh

View Quote

His technique isn't what is typically taught or what I personally use or recommend, but if it works for ya....
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:02:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Impressive
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Here is the same guy with his 338 lapua from 2500 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ode_j-Mmns
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_17/51___ARFCOM_1_MOA_ALL_DAY_LONG__Challenge_.html

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Cool!

That's a really nice rifle.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_17/51___ARFCOM_1_MOA_ALL_DAY_LONG__Challenge_.html

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
His technique isn't what is typically taught or what I personally use or recommend, but if it works for ya....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1837369_LOL_US_AMU_master_trainer_video____.html

not according to this poster.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I already talked to him about that.  The action and barrel are as they came from the factory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then he could probably do better with a Savage.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Well. I'm impressed!
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Big difference between 1000 yards and 2200 yards.  He has plenty of long range videos of various cartridges at extreme range so of course he knows how to develop hand loads and collect data on a rifle.  The elevation is the "easy" part for anyone that knows what they are doing, collects data, and takes logs.   His wind call was pretty darn good right off as well and then he fired a pretty good group in the wind at extreme range certainly not something just anyone can do without putting in the work before hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sayin.  

Even more challenging is the fact that at that range the wind is likely blowing several different directions on that range at the time of flight of the bullet and is not consistent throughout the entire course. On the range I shot at you could see the mirage blowing 3-4+ different directions at the same time......you just had to mentally "wing it".  

Another VERY difficult and overlooked ingredient at that range is to set your target up perpendicular to your shooting position.  Those hits off to the left might be tiny errors caused by that alone.

Again.  This guy has spent a bit of time out there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top