Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/13/2016 11:00:36 PM EDT
So I bought a gun from a guy today. I know it is a Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman. It has a 6" barrel and as you can see in the Imgur album, it is in ridiculously good shape. What I would like to know is exactly what I should do here. I am talking to a guy about a Colt Agent and he said he loves S&W N-frames. I was initially planning on just buying his Colt outright but I started asking him questions about N frame revolvers and sent him pics and now he is offering me his Colt and a Smith 649-4 straight across. Is this really that nice?

It has the original box (duct taped, but still) with the label CLEARLY legible and the serial on the box matches the gun. It also has all the S&W paperwork plus an original price tag. It also has the original S&W wrapping paper. There is a screwdriver and a brush tip in the box.

http://imgur.com/a/9rjih

Take a look and tell me what you think.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#2]
You've got a real nice revolver there. I'd keep it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a nice model 28.

That gun would bring high 7 low 8 on GB depending on the mood. Or two guys could start a bidding war and it sell for 1K.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know what to do with it. I generally don't hang onto guns I won't shoot, this thing is literally too perfect to do so. I already have a 4" Patrolman that I absolutely adore, like it is my favorite revolver ever. It is so smooth. this one is.... well, it's pretty much NIB.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:07:52 PM EDT
[#5]

That is one sweeeet revolver.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#6]
From the pictures it appears to have been polished on some. But it could just be the lighting.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:08:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  The model-28 is the less fancy, more utilitarian, version of the Model-27.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Very little cylinder ring. That gun has probably never been fired. Keep that mofo.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:09:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
From the pictures it appears to have been polished on some. But it could just be the lighting.
View Quote

It's the lighting. I have really bright lights hanging over my couch but to be honest it is really hard to take pictures anywhere in my house.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the same 28-2 in fair condition and I wouldn't do that trade for mine.
Keep it
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nice Pistol
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't know what to do with it. I generally don't hang onto guns I won't shoot, this thing is literally too perfect to do so. I already have a 4" Patrolman that I absolutely adore, like it is my favorite revolver ever. It is so smooth. this one is.... well, it's pretty much NIB.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot the heck out of it.  I bet you''ll like the 6" a bit more with full up magnums.

Either that or leave it be and give it to a kid.

That's a damn nice revolver there.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Just beautiful

God bless Smith & Wesson.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Keep it and shoot it. I love my 28-2 and pre-27.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:13:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's the lighting. I have really bright lights hanging over my couch but to be honest it is really hard to take pictures anywhere in my house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a FYI. A highway patrolman should have a matte finish, not the traditional smith blue.  It didn't take a whole lot of rubbing on one to polish the matte right off. Sorta similar to the way people "shine" up the matte stainless S&Ws.

Sorry I'm a bit of a smith fanboy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Just a FYI. A highway patrolman should have a matte finish, not the traditional smith blue.  It didn't take a whole lot of rubbing on one to polish the matte right off. Sorta similar to the way people "shine" up the matte stainless S&Ws.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thing has been sitting in its box for ~40 years. I don't think it's been rubbed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Sweet gun.  Model 28 with recessed chambers and pinned barrel is much more collectible than a 629.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sweet gun.  Model 28 with recessed chambers and pinned barrel is much more collectible than a 629.

View Quote

629 = bleh
regular 29 =
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:23:25 PM EDT
[#21]
How much it run you?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:30:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How much it run you?
View Quote

Ehh... you have a PM.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Good buy
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:43:24 PM EDT
[#24]
It hasn't been polished. It is basically brand new in box.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#25]
If someone wants it that badly, it's probably worth hanging on too. Will likely only go up in value, perhaps just hold onto it, until it's useful to sell or trade for something you really want and will shoot.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:47:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Thats a nice gun from a time when S&W gave a rats ass. I can't believe the prices on these until you look at the newer offerings and then it all makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:50:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I've never been a revolver guy but guns like that get me excited. That is way too cool to pass up.

Congrats on a awesome find
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:51:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:52:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've never been a revolver guy but guns like that get me excited. That is way too cool to pass up.

Congrats on a awesome find
View Quote

Working in a gun shop, you meet all sorts. It found ME.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:52:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Ehh... you have a PM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How much it run you?

Ehh... you have a PM.
Your inbox is full. Well done though

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:54:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:54:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Ehh... you have a PM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How much it run you?

Ehh... you have a PM.
Your inbox is full

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:54:51 PM EDT
[#33]
If you are going to own a wheel gun, that is the one.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:55:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I wish I had the dough to make you an offer on it. I love the 28-2.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Way cool!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Your inbox is full  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much it run you?

Ehh... you have a PM.
Your inbox is full  

To those that tried sending a PM my inbox is now empty.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:59:04 PM EDT
[#37]
That's a BAMF cop gun.  Keep it.

I have a 4" pre M28 Highway Patrolman, with honest holster wear.  It still locks up tight as a vault door and is a pussycat even with full magnums.  It's not an elegant gun, but it wasn't meant to be.  I love its ruggedness and blunt businesslike appearance.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That's a BAMF cop gun.  Keep it.

I have a 4" pre M28 Highway Patrolman, with honest holster wear.  It still locks up tight as a vault door and is a pussycat even with full magnums.  It's not an elegant gun, but it wasn't meant to be.  I love its ruggedness and blunt businesslike appearance.
View Quote

Nice.

I love my 4" 28-2. It is amazing. I really like 158gr SJHP through it, it's really mellow
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#39]
I would keep it.

I started acquiring firearms in the early 80's. By the mid 90's I let a lot of guns go for various reasons. In the early 2000's I started up again and wince when I think of what I had and let slip away. Pistols, rifles and revolvers. I vowed to never sell a gun again unless it was a life or death situation.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:08:24 AM EDT
[#40]
That's a beautiful gun, I'd keep it
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:09:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Is 56k even still a thing?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:09:39 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Is 56k even still a thing?
View Quote
Yes

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:11:53 AM EDT
[#43]
56k is how many rounds I would put through that gun.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
56k is how many rounds I would put through that gun.
View Quote

To my knowledge N-frame .357s have a very long life before timing and lockup could become an issue.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:37:31 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

It's a nice model 28.

That gun would bring high 7 low 8 on GB depending on the mood. Or two guys could start a bidding war and it sell for 1K.
View Quote
Easily. That is an old gun in near mint condition with the box in great shape and all the papers.

That is an EXTREMELY desirable gun to S&W collectors.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#47]
What you have there is one of the most beautiful,  elegant,  exquisite weapons ever made.  You should be proud you own such a weapon.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Nice! I have one upstairs that was my grandfather's, he bought it sometime in the 60's and I've had since he passed. I love that pistol and it's a good shooter, IMO.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:41:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing is different about the actual finsh other then it's not polished out like a 27 is.

That deep dark bueatiful bluing was due to how fine the metal was polished out, gun manufacturers laugh all the way to the bank because ''tactical'' meant they could drop those polishing steps and sometimes, even charge more for less work.  "OOOOOOOO tactical!"

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top