Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Then you should know better...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've already sent the OP an IM on what and how of what will most likely happen.  Now that I got that out of the way.
I've seen a bunch of half-wit posts of "lawyer up", a whole bunch of dim-wit "don't talk to the police" comments, and a plethora of no-wit sovereign type posts.  The OP asked what he should expect which would mean maybe a page of actual information.  I've also seen posts of "it must be bad if the school called the police".   Now I'm going to do my best to answer each of these types.
"Lawyer up" - it's an interview not an interrogation for murder stop watching NCIS and CSI

"Don't talk to the police" - Stop watching Cop Block YouTube videos

for the Sovereign Citizen types - Go fucking kill yourself you cause more harm than good

"It's must be bad for school to call police" - NO.  Schools over-react all the damn time.  I get at least one call a week for Johnny pushed Timmy
As a member of law enforcement I can and will tell you that juvenile court is different from adult court.  The juvenile system is insanely lenient even on serious offenses.  For those that are giving advice with nothing but feelings behind it FUCKING STOP your no better than DU.  For those that give sound advice based on experience and knowledge keep at it.
And no this is not some internet tough guy act, I will be an inconsolable asshole face to face as well.  Ask Piccolo about mine and his trip to gun show.

It's great feeling knowing quite a few ppl here will teach their kids "if caught, STFU"  Not a bad advice either.  But it's obviously clear many here will wholeheartedly hide their kids under their man skirt and yell my son "dindu"...
1st off, maybe the OP son wrote something that alarmed the principal.  And less we forget there's this trespassing issue.
Maybe OP will talk to the cop and see where this will go. As a cop I can see this to be reasonable.  Cops have a job to do.  A cop cannot take a call and do the "boys will be boys" and shrug his shoulders.  All while many here, most of you saying "screw the cops, call a lawyer" would also shout to kill anyone trespassing on their property.
Maybe, just maybe, this encounter might make sure your precious Johnny doesn't do this shit again.  Or, tell Johnny he will not speak to the cops, tell the cops to pound sand "copper", yell at the school administrator, and pull Johnny out of school to be home school with a course on the Constitution and founding fathers to be taught daily.  Because that will surely set him on a great path when he later joins the military, or get a job and needs to work with others, or generally get along with society because rules are for suckers.
Or maybe just let the cop talk with your son in your presence, he'll ask a few questions and tell him the consequences if it isn't stopped and that'll be that.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's great feeling knowing quite a few ppl here will teach their kids "if caught, STFU"  Not a bad advice either.  But it's obviously clear many here will wholeheartedly hide their kids under their man skirt and yell my son "dindu"...

1st off, maybe the OP son wrote something that alarmed the principal.  And less we forget there's this trespassing issue.

Maybe OP will talk to the cop and see where this will go. As a cop I can see this to be reasonable.  Cops have a job to do.  A cop cannot take a call and do the "boys will be boys" and shrug his shoulders.  All while many here, most of you saying "screw the cops, call a lawyer" would also shout to kill anyone trespassing on their property.

Maybe, just maybe, this encounter might make sure your precious Johnny doesn't do this shit again.  Or, tell Johnny he will not speak to the cops, tell the cops to pound sand "copper", yell at the school administrator, and pull Johnny out of school to be home school with a course on the Constitution and founding fathers to be taught daily.  Because that will surely set him on a great path when he later joins the military, or get a job and needs to work with others, or generally get along with society because rules are for suckers.

Or maybe just let the cop talk with your son in your presence, he'll ask a few questions and tell him the consequences if it isn't stopped and that'll be that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've already sent the OP an IM on what and how of what will most likely happen.  Now that I got that out of the way.

I've seen a bunch of half-wit posts of "lawyer up", a whole bunch of dim-wit "don't talk to the police" comments, and a plethora of no-wit sovereign type posts.  The OP asked what he should expect which would mean maybe a page of actual information.  I've also seen posts of "it must be bad if the school called the police".   Now I'm going to do my best to answer each of these types.

"Lawyer up" - it's an interview not an interrogation for murder stop watching NCIS and CSI
for the Sovereign Citizen types - Go fucking kill yourself you cause more harm than good
"It's must be bad for school to call police" - NO.  Schools over-react all the damn time.  I get at least one call a week for Johnny pushed Timmy

As a member of law enforcement I can and will tell you that juvenile court is different from adult court.  The juvenile system is insanely lenient even on serious offenses.  For those that are giving advice with nothing but feelings behind it FUCKING STOP your no better than DU.  For those that give sound advice based on experience and knowledge keep at it.

And no this is not some internet tough guy act, I will be an inconsolable asshole face to face as well.  Ask Piccolo about mine and his trip to gun show.

If you can garentee he will not enter the Juvenile justice system in any way....sure.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Ok...

You say we are not showing up...they say ok...he has avoided contact with the JJ system.

They play hardball...you get an attorney...he avoids contact with JJ system.

The goal is to keep his record clean.  How can that be bad?

They are not doing him a favor.  Like the Beer Slayer said above.

This not Mayberry.  I have known people who missed out on Service Academy appointments because of contact with the JJ system.  If he is a good kid he will not need to , "learn his lesson". He will know already.  

Furthermore, would you forego a lawyer if you were involved in a self defense shooting?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is indeed a learning experience.
I have 4 kids, youngest at 26. I've been there.
I assume he has some guilt-that is a powerful motivator.

1. Educate him that the police are not showing up to help him in this situation.
2. That he can't do what ever the hell he wants without consequences from you-and sometimes others.
3. That he needs to shut up to the authorities, but better be honest with you-and a lawyer should you go that route.
4. That you, although not pleased, have his back. "You and I will discuss it later."
5. Not everyone, even the "good guys" are looking out for him.
6. When the dust settles with the "zero tolerance aholes" he will admit his responsibility, make amends, and learn. As men do.

You will be far closer when this is over. He may even think "Dad ain't such a dumbass after all."

Ok...

You say we are not showing up...they say ok...he has avoided contact with the JJ system.

They play hardball...you get an attorney...he avoids contact with JJ system.

The goal is to keep his record clean.  How can that be bad?

They are not doing him a favor.  Like the Beer Slayer said above.

This not Mayberry.  I have known people who missed out on Service Academy appointments because of contact with the JJ system.  If he is a good kid he will not need to , "learn his lesson". He will know already.  

Furthermore, would you forego a lawyer if you were involved in a self defense shooting?

Not sure how you got all of that from my post, but I'm advising not as a legal expert, but a father of 4 now successful kids-who had brushes with the law.
Guilt is a powerful motivator. If the kid feels guilty for what he did, and not just because he got caught, that says a lot.
I'm in no position to tell another if they need a lawyer with so few details.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly, if that's the whole story. I'd be highly inclined to tell the police where to go, chalk wash's off. If the P.D. wants to pursue it, I'd hire a lawyer. Jr. would be in for a long duration of a lot of chores and no privileges or luxuries.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Honestly, if that's the whole story. I'd be highly inclined to tell the police where to go, chalk wash's off. If the P.D. wants to pursue it, I'd hire a lawyer. Jr. would be in for a long duration of a lot of chores and no privileges or luxuries.
View Quote

But why tell the police "where to go"?  They are just doing their job and another authority figure telling the kid what they did was in fact against the law isn't a bad thing.  As the son of a school superintendent and the husband of a principal, maybe the kids need to be scared a little as they really aren't afraid of administrators these days.  The details that were shared don't seem to be that big of a deal, but maybe there are extenuating circumstances.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I would retain an attorney for any incident involving law enforcement beyond a minor traffic violation, and even then I do retain an attorney for some of those (with mixed success).

Shit is such a mess these days you never know what you are walking into.

"He and his little buddy walked onto a construction site and wrote graffiti with chalk" is what is said, what I hear is the worst case scenario.
1. Criminal trespass
2. Vandalism, maybe felony vandalism.
They aren't going to wait for the next rain, they are going to use laborers being paid prevailing wage to pressure wash said graffiti off. They may even have to put out a bid request to handle the removal. So "the next rain" or "5 minutes with a hose" can quickly and easily rise to felony $ levels if they want to be assholes about it.
3. Theft of state/school property. Kids usually don't have chalk on them but schools have a lot of it. Did they steal the chalk from the school they attend?

While it is probably not going to turn out this way, that could be the worst case scenario. I would prepare accordingly.

ETA: My dad had 20 years in an east coast police department. He emphasized that cops are not your friends, do not give consent to search and if you fucked up and got caught, don't say anything without a lawyer.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They aren't picking any kids up or taking them anywhere in NY over chalk on a wall. Lol  
View Quote

Just for doodling on their classroom desk. Link
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:36:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Maybe in Alabama. They aren't picking any kids up or taking them anywhere in NY over chalk on a wall. Lol  

Looks like in Alabama you just get a summons to go to court
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, don't listen to these folks who are telling you not meet or speak with the police. Get the story from your son, if he is involved retain a lawyer.

If you refuse to cooperate a juvy pickup order can be issued and your son taken into custody.

Don't fuck around with this thing.
Maybe in Alabama. They aren't picking any kids up or taking them anywhere in NY over chalk on a wall. Lol  

Looks like in Alabama you just get a summons to go to court

If i lived in the shithole that is NY and had to deal with the special blend of tard that is the law up there, id be more apt to waste the money on a lawyer.

Based on dealing with similar juvenile situations in the past, the cop is more than likely looking to have a "dont do that again or this can happen" talk and probably tell the parent to actually be a parent and dont let junior do that kind of crap.

But i can guarantee one way to get you and your kid involved in juvenile court is to follow the advice given here.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hmmm the OP already said his son was part of the chalking. So a phone call from the OPs lawyer is t going to really do much of anything except give the admin. The need to go ahead and press charges.

If a crime was committed and the school admin wanted to press charges a simple couple of pictures, a police report and a trip to the magistrate for a summons to juvy court is all that is needed.

In the OPs best interested he needs to meet with the police and admin and discuss the incident. Jr needs to man up and make restitution if possible, if not its lawyer time and juvy court.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can anyone else envision the principal, not being satisfied with the speed of the proceedings OR the appearance of an attorney on the scene, pulling the kid out of class first thing Tuesday morning and handing him over to the cop to be interviewed in an empty room in the school?

I know authority figures like that.

If lucky, after a call from your Lawyer after that, either the Superintendent and/or District Lawyer, there will be a conversation starting with, "How can you be that fucking stupid?  Do you think we put out those bulletins or had you attend training sessions for you to completely f'g ignore them?"

Hmmm the OP already said his son was part of the chalking. So a phone call from the OPs lawyer is t going to really do much of anything except give the admin. The need to go ahead and press charges.

If a crime was committed and the school admin wanted to press charges a simple couple of pictures, a police report and a trip to the magistrate for a summons to juvy court is all that is needed.

In the OPs best interested he needs to meet with the police and admin and discuss the incident. Jr needs to man up and make restitution if possible, if not its lawyer time and juvy court.

No I the op only said he son was there...
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:38:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a former LEO myself I say you are wrong with a list t of other current and retired LEOS agreeing with me
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But why tell the police "where to go"?  They are just doing their job and another authority figure telling the kid what they did was in fact against the law isn't a bad thing.  As the son of a school superintendent and the husband of a principal, maybe the kids need to be scared a little as they really aren't afraid of administrators these days.  The details that were shared don't seem to be that big of a deal, but maybe there are extenuating circumstances.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
What kind of police department investigates little kids writing naughty words about a teacher with chalk? Get lost. Sounds like politically motivated horseshit.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:51:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you read the op response you will see his son is claiming to only be there not writing anything...not to mention it was chalk...why are the police even being called?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:54:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Camera footage or else it's hearsay
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:55:46 PM EDT
[#17]
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Be a good conservative.

Respect authority.  Take personal responsibility.

Allow law enforcement to see anything they want, search anything they want, ask your kid any questions they want.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:10:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:18:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Please explain how a 12 year old will be punished and how a lawyer will help?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:21:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Oh FFS.  Chalk and not spray paint...yeah that needs police intervention
View Quote

Kind of where I fall, honestly.  

I would ask the cops for specifics, and decline the meeting if they don't.  

Threats would involve a lawyer.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:24:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:24:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Really?  If he did it or was involved, suck it up and take the punishment.  I wouldn't lawyer up as it sends the wrong message to the kid that did something wrong.  It won't be that bad and will be a good learning tool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lawyer up now.

Really?  If he did it or was involved, suck it up and take the punishment.  I wouldn't lawyer up as it sends the wrong message to the kid that did something wrong.  It won't be that bad and will be a good learning tool.

Don't be a dumbass. Lawyer up.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:32:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Cops do not care about any threat of a lawyer, go ahead and refuse to talk forcing them to make an arrest and give you and your son a court date.

The juvenile justice system will not punish a 12 year old for a petty crime, you on the other hand may be responsible for any damage he has done.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:40:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:40:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Kids are only removed from the home when they commit serious crimes or they have bad parents and are considered incorrigible, something written in chalk would never qualify for that.

Talking to the cops and the school would only help him avoid wasting time in court.

School likely had to involve the police as part of the reporting procedure to have damages repaired or cleaned.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:43:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:52:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Kids are only removed from the home when they commit serious crimes or they have bad parents and are considered incorrigible, something written in chalk would never qualify for that.

Talking to the cops and the school would only help him avoid wasting time in court.

School likely had to involve the police as part of the reporting procedure to have damages repaired or cleaned.
View Quote

Why would the officers go so far out of their way if all they are doing is writing a report?

If they already have enough to take the kid to court without an interview there is literally nothing that can be improved by just sitting down and having a chat without somebody there protecting your legal interests and ability to defend yourself in court.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:54:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:54:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've been advised never to speak to the police without consul present.
I want my court appointed lawyer.
If we aren't under arrest, Are we free to go.
Repeat. Nothing else, not ever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lawyer up now.

This!

Bust his ass good first. Your son. Not the cop.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:58:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lawyer up now.

With our zero tolerance society , I would definitely lawyer up. The principal could have easily not involved the cops and dealt with it internally at school. He instead decided that the cops needed to be involved. The cops are not your friends.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:59:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Lawyer up now.
View Quote
don't be weak.  if he did it, own it.  ensure no permanent issues though.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:00:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Also, was what he wrote funny?  
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:07:16 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
You keep thinking that sparky
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If your kid did it, make him stand up for it.  That'll be a better lesson you can teach him instead of just hiding behind a lawyer.

You keep thinking that sparky
So would you suggest kicking his behind at home and telling the cops to pound sand?

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:08:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Please explain how a 12 year old will be punished and how a lawyer will help?
View Quote
Kicked out of school and sent to an alternative school (read: criminal training academy), register as a sex offender if it was a dick drawing, Dad is investigated so they can see what kind of home life the kid has and child protective services may get involved, or he gets an arrest that never goes away on his record. Maybe nothing happens and the district just wants to scare him. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle. I wouldn't risk it.
Lawyer up or be prepared to. People in school systems are some of the most nonsensical liberal retards on the face of the earth. Don't expect this to be handled by sane or reasonable people. Please don't take the advice of some officer Barbrady from Mayberry that says boys will be boys and you have nothing to worry about.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:10:46 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lawyer up now.

Fuck that shit.

If the kid did something wrong, PARENTS should talk to and discipline the kid.  Cops should talk to parents, tell them what is up, and if they are on the hook for any damages, who to contact if the parents decide (like good parents) to march the kid over and have him apologize.

Key is, parents are responsible for kid, so parents decide what discipline actions to bring.  Cops should not be involved unless someone is pressing charges.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:15:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Fuck that shit.  

If the kid did something wrong, PARENTS should talk to and discipline the kid.  Cops should talk to parents, tell them what is up, and if they are on the hook for any damages, who to contact if the parents decide (like good parents) to march the kid over and have him apologize.

Key is, parents are responsible for kid, so parents decide what discipline actions to bring.  Cops should not be involved unless someone is pressing charges.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lawyer up now.

Fuck that shit.  

The cops are already involved. Cops show up or are sent to do cop stuff. Avoiding the legal system is not an option at this point.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:17:51 AM EDT
[#38]
You can lawyer up if you want. At least that the arfcom standard to get out of a speeding ticket.

But you'll probably spend $15k in lawyer fees and he'll get the same punishment either way.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:22:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

don't ask if you're free to go.  just walk away.  if they intend to detain you they will do so.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:31:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Some of you have absolutely NO idea of how the juvenile justice system works.  

Some of the advice here is horrible and worthless.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:33:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lawyer up now.

GD is a bunch of pussies when it comes to the police.

Talk to them, figure out why they are interested in your kid. Discipline said kid, have him apologize to the school district and the principal, expect it to all go away. Everyone yammering about your kid having a record doesn't understand how juvenile justice works. A bunch of parents worrying about lawyers first, their delinquent kid second, are why this society is such a mess. Hold your kid accountable, because otherwise society ends up having to down the line.

Cops I know say that someone lawyering up is the first and best sign they need to dig a little deeper into something.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:35:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Yeah, don't worry OP.  Nothing much ever happens with these things..

Fourteen-year-old Hillary chuckled to herself as she drew a caricature of her vice principal, replete with her signature red hair and green pantsuit. As the school administrator had a reputation as a strict disciplinarian, Hillary added an armband with a swastika and some knee-high black boots. Then, to get a laugh from her friends, she created a profile for the vice principal on the social networking site MySpace, uploaded her drawing, and added a few facetious features: In the “What do you collect?” category, she wrote “Johnny Depp’s tighty whities,” and under “Favorite people,” she listed “Bob Barker and Satan.” She also included a disclaimer, proclaiming the page a joke.

Though Hillary forgot about the spoof after a few months, other kids discovered it and posted “comments,” some of which were vulgar and offensive. And by the time the vice principal viewed it, she was so horrified that she filed a harassment complaint—not against those who posted rude comments, but against the girl who created the page.

The police officer assured Hillary’s bewildered mother that the court would go easy on her daughter and she shouldn’t invest in a lawyer. After all, he said, it was just a prank and Hillary had never been in prior trouble. Even the juvenile probation officer who interviewed Hillary said they would recommend probation to the presiding judge, Luzerne County, PA juvenile court Judge Mark Ciavarella. On the day of the hearing, the high school student entered the courtroom without anyone to protect her legal rights and the judge took full advantage. The three-minute hearing opened with, “What makes you think you can get away with this kind of crap?” and ended with, “Adjudicated delinquent…You’re gone!” While her mother yelled “Wait! That’s not what they told us!”, Hillary was handcuffed and whisked away to a wilderness camp for delinquent girls for 90 days.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:05:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You are assuming that they have proof/PC already. They may have nothing but a hunch. We don't know that yet at this point. The kid admitting to the "crime" to the school or cops may be the straw that breaks the camels back and let's them charge him. If his lawyer goes in and says the kid did it but really wants to make it right, they can't use that against the kid if they decide to proceed with charges instead of letting him do some school based punishment.

Tons of people talk themselves into charges that the police couldn't have made without the suspect's confession. I've put a couple dozen people into federal prison aided greatly by confessions. There was evidence against them but it could have been fought in court by a good lawyer (audio recordings, informants, etc) but their confessions sealed the deal. They all plead guilty. They really didn't have much choice after their confessions.

One of the last guys that went to prison was a pure historical conspiracy case--- until I interviewed him and guilted him into admitting he had several ounces of crack at his girlfriends house. I told him that he should worry about her toddler finding the drugs and getting hurt. He told me where the dope was and she let me walk right in to seize it. Case closed on what would have been a pretty tough case since, before the confession and dope, it was a pure historical conspiracy.

That's what talking to the cops can get you.

My guess is that you and most of the cops saying skip the lawyer are good dudes who would give the kid a stern talking to and let that be the end of it. That's what most of us would do. The problem lies in the chance that the school admin or the cop is a "that guy" and sticks it to the kid over a tween prank. As I said before, I ran into "that guy" when I was 16 so I've seen both sides of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can anyone else envision the principal, not being satisfied with the speed of the proceedings OR the appearance of an attorney on the scene, pulling the kid out of class first thing Tuesday morning and handing him over to the cop to be interviewed in an empty room in the school?

If lucky, after a call from your Lawyer after that, either the Superintendent and/or District Lawyer, there will be a conversation starting with, "How can you be that fucking stupid?  Do you think we put out those bulletins or had you attend training sessions for you to completely f'g ignore them?"

You are assuming that they have proof/PC already. They may have nothing but a hunch. We don't know that yet at this point. The kid admitting to the "crime" to the school or cops may be the straw that breaks the camels back and let's them charge him. If his lawyer goes in and says the kid did it but really wants to make it right, they can't use that against the kid if they decide to proceed with charges instead of letting him do some school based punishment.

Tons of people talk themselves into charges that the police couldn't have made without the suspect's confession. I've put a couple dozen people into federal prison aided greatly by confessions. There was evidence against them but it could have been fought in court by a good lawyer (audio recordings, informants, etc) but their confessions sealed the deal. They all plead guilty. They really didn't have much choice after their confessions.

One of the last guys that went to prison was a pure historical conspiracy case--- until I interviewed him and guilted him into admitting he had several ounces of crack at his girlfriends house. I told him that he should worry about her toddler finding the drugs and getting hurt. He told me where the dope was and she let me walk right in to seize it. Case closed on what would have been a pretty tough case since, before the confession and dope, it was a pure historical conspiracy.

That's what talking to the cops can get you.

My guess is that you and most of the cops saying skip the lawyer are good dudes who would give the kid a stern talking to and let that be the end of it. That's what most of us would do. The problem lies in the chance that the school admin or the cop is a "that guy" and sticks it to the kid over a tween prank. As I said before, I ran into "that guy" when I was 16 so I've seen both sides of it.

Your reading skills suck.  I said "IF a crime was committed". See the above in red.
So you're the one making all the assumptions, not I.

I also said if the admin is set on pressing charges to get a lawyer. See the above in red.
I never once said let the kid talk to the cops.
You seem to forget that this is not a murder or trafficking case. It's a juvy case of maybe trespassing and vandalism. A summons to juvy court and most likely the child will be forced to make restitution and have a 6 month probation.

You seem to watch a little to much law and order.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:17:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What kind of police department investigates little kids writing naughty words about a teacher with chalk? Get lost. Sounds like politically motivated horseshit.
View Quote

The kind of PD that has the school contact them about a crime.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:22:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that's not being part of it? OP said that his son and friend were there but the friend did the drawing.
Kinda like sitting in the get away vehicle isn't part of the robbery?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:40:12 AM EDT
[#46]
That the school district got the cops involved over some chalk by 12 year olds strongly suggests they're a bunch of idiots and do not have  a sense of proportion. The school calling the boy's parents, and the boys getting a stern talking-too, grounding, extra chores? Down with it. The school inviting the juvie system into it? No good can come of this.

Tell them to go piss up a rope on the interview request. If they persist get a lawyer.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:10:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That the school district got the cops involved over some chalk by 12 year olds strongly suggests they're a bunch of idiots and do not have  a sense of proportion. The school calling the boy's parents, and the boys getting a stern talking-too, grounding, extra chores? Down with it. The school inviting the juvie system into it? No good can come of this.

Tell them to go piss up a rope on the interview request. If they persist get a lawyer.
View Quote

^ Agree
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:30:07 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

As a former LEO myself I say you are wrong with a list t of other current and retired LEOS agreeing with me
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I was going to say, I've seen several leo's in this thread advise the things he's attempting to ridicule.  

I'd err on the side of caution.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:41:29 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Yeah, I was going to say, I've seen several leo's in this thread advise the things he's attempting to ridicule.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep better to be safe.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:43:59 AM EDT
[#50]
If they are "asking" to talk, they don't have shit. Don't help them.

Tell them to go fuck themselves.

Then discipline your kid how you see fit.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top