Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Posted: 2/13/2016 12:56:43 PM EDT
My wife received a phone call from our PD. Apparently, my son and his friends used a piece of calk to write something nasty about a school principal on the wall of a new school building that is still under construction. My guess is the school administration used a security camera footage to find out who did it. Now the cops want to talk to my son in our presence. What to expect?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Pepper his angus.  Pepper it good.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you see what happens Larry?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Hide the dog.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Lawyer up now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#6]
chalk.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#7]
You do the talking. Tell him to keep his trap shut.

Probably, they are just trying to scare him straight. Chalk does no damage, so there is no property damage.

Do it at the school, not at your house. Never invite the man inside.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Better call saul
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lawyer up now.
View Quote

Really?  If he did it or was involved, suck it up and take the punishment.  I wouldn't lawyer up as it sends the wrong message to the kid that did something wrong.  It won't be that bad and will be a good learning tool.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#10]

lol

Quoted:
Lawyer up now.

I would do this^^
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#11]
This might be an opportunity to scare the shit out of jr. enough that he never does something stupid like that again.

Blessing in disguise etc..
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lawyer up now.
View Quote

Yep.

The current Justice system will screw him over...cuz Zero Tolerance.

Bust his &$$ later as a parent but a 12 yr old doesn't need a record for basically a nothing charge.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh FFS.  Chalk and not spray paint...yeah that needs police intervention
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Probably, they are just trying to scare him straight. Chalk does no damage, so there is no property damage.

View Quote

If police are involved for something like this they're Probably focusing more on what was wrote than that it was wrote with chalk

or it's a really small town
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depends on what was written. Property damage is the least of the concerns if it threatened violence.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#17]
What does your son say about it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Oh FFS.  Chalk and not spray paint...yeah that needs police intervention.
View Quote

My first thought as well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#19]
caulk or chalk?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Really?  If he did it or was involved, suck it up and take the punishment.  I wouldn't lawyer up as it sends the wrong message to the kid that did something wrong.  It won't be that bad and will be a good learning tool.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lawyer up now.

Hell yes Lawyer up. Send them a message that you will handle your son, not them. I don't trust the system or the pawns that work for it. If Junior did this tan his fucking hide.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

My wife received a phone call from our PD. Apparently, my son and his friends used a piece of calk to write something nasty about a school principal on the wall of a new school building that is still under construction. My guess is the school administration used a security camera footage to find out who did it. Now the cops want to talk to my son in our presence. What to expect?
View Quote
Chalk is not vandalism , it washes away with rain

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#23]
One way or the other you need the absolute truth from your son before you proceed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Are they arresting him? I'm under the impression there is either evidence to arrest or there is not. Talking to police can only make it worse. If they got him on video, not much you can do to talk your way out of it.

What was written?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Lawyer up now.
View Quote

Keep mouth shut.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#27]
A principal called the cops over words?

It'd better have been a death threat. If it was just mean words they're gonna have a tough time dealing with kids on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Lawyer up now.
View Quote

Yes. Teach the kid that as long as his lawyer is slick enough he can do whatever he wants and dad will fund the defense.

Seriously,  he's 12. The consequences are going to be temporary.  Now is the time for him to learn how actions and legal consequences work.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Give him the talk about not doing shady shit in front of cameras
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This might be an opportunity to scare the shit out of jr. enough that he never does something stupid like that again.

Blessing in disguise etc..
View Quote

I was going to say this.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Some important info needed.

A. What written?
B. Is principal in a "protected" class, like black, gay, etc?
C. If so, was what was written relevant to the above?
D. What does son have to say?

If yes to B and C above, lawyer may be needed as that shit can get ugly and publicized all over.  If not, then a good scare and punishment should be fine.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#32]
What was written?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do not let them speak to him. As the post above me states I would offer to have a discussion at the school without your son.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Lawyer up now.
View Quote

I've been advised never to speak to the police without consul present.
I want my court appointed lawyer.
If we aren't under arrest, Are we free to go.
Repeat. Nothing else, not ever.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Maybe the kids are right and the principal really is a cocksucker. Just saying.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A principal called the cops over words?

It'd better have been a death threat. If it was just mean words they're gonna have a tough time dealing with kids on a daily basis.
View Quote

The whole school system is a PC shit show these days with LE getting involved over two kids fist fighting or in this case chaulk writings . Probably said something 12 year olds think is funny. "Principal sucks dick"
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yes. Teach the kid that as long as his lawyer is slick enough he can do whatever he wants and dad will fund the defense.

Seriously,  he's 12. The consequences are going to be temporary.  Now is the time for him to learn how actions and legal consequences work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lawyer up now.

In general, Many parents now a days have the "my special snowflake won't do it again after I talk to him so why should he have a criminal record" mentality.  Parents are teaching kids to not face consequences, and it is even showing in this thread.

If he just wrote " Mr. XXX smells"  in chalk that's different than if he wrote a threat or something.  What does he say he wrote?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yep.

Bust his &$$ later as a parent but a 12 yr old doesn't need a record for basically a nothing charge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lawyer up now.

Yep.

This. Never talk to the cops about potential criminal activity. It's not going to make anything better and has the potential to make things much worse. Discipline him at home but your public face is your attorney.

Your 12 year old doesn't need a potential criminal record when he's 25 years old, has a Master's degree, and is applying to the FBI or something super competitive. That "sealed" juvenile record doesn't mean much for some positions.

Punish him severely at home but keep it at home. He shouldn't feel like he "got off" with it but he shouldn't be thrown into the "zero tolerance" criminal justice system either.

The cops may be great guys and may only want to talk to him to help him out but the risk of it going the other direction is too great to risk.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#40]
If I were you I'd talk to the cops first without him there.  Figure out what he did and what they want.  Then go from there.  They might just want you to pay for it to be cleaned up. If so, I'd pay and ask them to help scare your son into not doing shit like that.  If they are trying to pursue some criminal charge or something then don't let him talk to them.  Most likely they are doing the former
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What was written?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
<SNIP>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
<SNIP>

At the very least, this and this.

Quoted:
Seriously,  he's 12. The consequences are going to be temporary.

In today's society, I would not be willing to take that chance. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Most of my cop friends say never talk to us voluntarily or without a lawyer. If the administration involved the police they are treating it as a criminal matter and thus all the guidelines apply.

Get your son's take on things and go from there. Hate to sound cliche but have them get a warrant and state as the parent to chief they are under no uncertain terms to speak with your son with out you or your attorney present.

Unfortunately, it's not like the good ole days where they just drive your dumb ass home and let dad whip your ass. A juvenile record is nothing to play with. Could effect jobs and scholarships.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Guys it's CAULK not CHALK.  There's a difference
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

well you might be wrong.. legally. when i was a kid, i watched " little house on the prarie" i saw the halloween episode, where they used SOAP to write on peoples windows as pranks.

another kid and myself wrote on the school bus windows over night....  and we were charged with vandalism...( the fat kid got questioned by police and spilled the beans. )

. i got to wash police cars all summer as punishment. something like 20-30 hours of community service.

chalk could EASILY be considered vandalism.... depending on the local law definition.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Most of my cop friends say never talk to us voluntarily or without a lawyer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Most of my cop friends say never talk to us voluntarily or without a lawyer.

I agree.

If the administration involved the police they are treating it as a criminal matter and thus all the guidelines apply.

This.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#47]
I thought GD SOP was to not answer the door.  Its cold out, they'll go away.  

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh FFS.  Chalk and not spray paint...yeah that needs police intervention.

I was charged with Destruction of Property for putting shaving cream on the opposing team's bus when I was 16 years old. It was "serious business". The judge laughed it out of court but I was still charged and had to pay for a lawyer.

Years later as a cop I would have had the kid wipe the bus clean and apologize to the other team's coach. A lot of cops lack any common sense at all.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

your wrong....

Full Definition of vandalism

:  willful or malicious destruction or defacement of public or private property

if it was not approved..... then its defacement.... defacement does not have a time limit on it... nor does it describe how " easily" it can be cleaned off....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top