Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/13/2016 4:46:39 AM EDT
Flying manhole cover kills driver on I-93

http://turnto10.com/news/local/manhole-cover-crashes-into-windshield-killing-boston-driver-02-12-2016

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:47:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Gas explosion, or just wasn't replaced correctly and got tiddlywink'd by a large vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:52:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Gas buildup in the sewer. It happens.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:53:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Freaky. By the pics, it looks like she may have been cut in half, decapitated or close to it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:54:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Freaky. By the pics, it looks like she may have been cut in half, decapitated or close to it.
View Quote

Nice. Now I'll click the link. [img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/

http://turnto10.com/news/local/manhole-cover-crashes-into-windshield-killing-boston-driver-02-12-2016  

ETA what makes you say cut in half?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:54:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Anything can go air born if there is enough thrust behind it
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:55:26 AM EDT
[#6]

My brother did the research on it for ConEd in NYC.

The salt from the roads and the melting snow combine and eat away the wire insulation in the underground cables. That ignites the methane in the sewers and BOOM!

200 lb Frisbee.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:55:34 AM EDT
[#7]
That is some Final Destination shit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:55:37 AM EDT
[#8]
FBDFTW
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:58:15 AM EDT
[#9]
It can do a lot more than blow a few manholes off if it isn't managed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Guadalajara_explosions

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:58:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Gas explosion, or just wasn't replaced correctly and got tiddlywink'd by a large vehicle.
View Quote

Or by a plow.  A plow can fling a cover pretty damn far.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:59:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

Pay attention T72 tank turrets, he's talking to you.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:59:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:01:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nice. Now I'll click the link. [url]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice. Now I'll click the link. [url]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/

Cover>Entry/Exit/Driver position...

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:02:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Not really relevant to the subject of the post but somewhat relevant to the article. I read this gem in the article.

Baker, a Republican, said he would wait for the investigation to be completed and would not speculate on how the incident may have occurred. He said highway officials could not recall a similar incident in recent memory.
View Quote

Why do journalists do that? What in the hell does his being a Republican have to do with flying 200lb manhole covers?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:06:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not really relevant to the subject of the post but somewhat relevant to the article. I read this gem in the article.

Why do journalists do that? What in the hell does his being a Republican have to do with flying 200lb manhole covers?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Baker, a Republican, said he would wait for the investigation to be completed and would not speculate on how the incident may have occurred. He said highway officials could not recall a similar incident in recent memory.

That stood out to me too. A bit ridiculous.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:12:07 AM EDT
[#16]
God damn. That's some final destination shit. RIP lady.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:14:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Pounds per square inch applied in a sufficient amount.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:24:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

He's not to be trusted, he's one of... them. The sanitation director is also a republican and he's covering for him.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:38:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Ho Lee Fuk. Hope it was quick and painless
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:52:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Another gas leak.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:25:15 AM EDT
[#21]
wow.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Please fix your title. It was the first thing I saw this morning and it gave me an instant headache.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:33:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:37:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:42:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Ban manhole covers.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:17:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The salt from the roads and the melting snow combine and eat away the wire insulation in the underground cables. That ignites the methane in the sewers and BOOM!

200 lb Frisbee.

View Quote

It was happening on an almost daily basis in DC a few years ago.  Pretty much exactly this cause, as I recall.  

Of course that insulation doesn't get eaten away in one snowfall, or even a couple years' worth, so I guess you can blame inadequate planned inspections and maintenance.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:20:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Means it was not only his fault, but the fault of every Republican that the victim is dead.  Because Republicans are heartless and uncaring.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Pounds per square inch applied in a sufficient amount.

View Quote

201 pounds of thrust...
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Means it was not only his fault, but the fault of every Republican that the victim is dead.  Because Republicans are heartless and uncaring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the victim is black, he actually orchestrated this to be a hate crime.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:25:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

And plus, it's Bush's fault too.  Don't forget that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Freaky.    I hope that she didn't suffer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:49:59 AM EDT
[#32]

That was a gas pipeline leak
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the liberal media in Boston is still stunned that he beat Martha Cokley. Republicans in the People's Republic are as rare as dark haired Yetis
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Ever see the video of a guy (in china?) tossing a firecracker down the hole? There's no faster way to remove your clothes.

Quoted:

<a href="http://s426.photobucket.com/user/Scottyman_01/media/Entry_zpstqul47ng.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp343/Scottyman_01/Entry_zpstqul47ng.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s426.photobucket.com/user/Scottyman_01/media/EXit_zpsigt02n26.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp343/Scottyman_01/EXit_zpsigt02n26.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s426.photobucket.com/user/Scottyman_01/media/Entry_zpstqul47ng.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp343/Scottyman_01/Entry_zpstqul47ng.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s426.photobucket.com/user/Scottyman_01/media/EXit_zpsigt02n26.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp343/Scottyman_01/EXit_zpsigt02n26.jpg</a>

Damn. Talk about bad luck.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#35]
If the MH cover was loose in its ring a car can flip it right out.

Never seen a 200# sewer MH cover, electric or phone maybe, those holes can be pretty big.

Putting a MH in a highway travel lane is beyond stupid.

13 yrs. sewer maintenance guy here.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

That was a gas pipeline leak

------

Post got messed up
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It was happening on an almost daily basis in DC a few years ago.  Pretty much exactly this cause, as I recall.  

Of course that insulation doesn't get eaten away in one snowfall, or even a couple years' worth, so I guess you can blame inadequate planned inspections and maintenance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

200 lb Frisbee.

NYC still has cables run through hollowed out logs that were used as conduit over a century ago.

Inspection of all that cable is pretty much an impossibility.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#39]
For fucks sake! Fix the title!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Methane Gas
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Was there an F1 car in front of him?

They create a lot of downforce by creating a vacuum under the car. That vacuum  could have sucked the cover off its hole.

Probably not, but hate to see if a supercar does something  like that at speed what the Dims will try to ban next.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Had a co coworker get a compound leg fracture when he responded to a manhole fire.

Stepped off the fire truck and onto a different manhole cover.  The cover that blew was remote from the fire.  He couldn't see it due to snow.

Link
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

this.
there was a guy killed the same way years ago when I lived in Rochester, NY.
It happened 2 blocks from my apartment, and I talked to the firefighters ( station was across the street from me ) who responded. Witnesses said exactly that, that one big truck hit the cover and it flipped up and through an oncoming car's windshield, removing the driver's head.

the ring under the street had shifted, apparently, allowing for the vehicle impact to launch it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#46]
What's wrong with the title?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Because if it would have been a Democrat this tragic incident wouldn't have happened. Have you been sleeping for the last 7 years or what?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:23:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What's wrong with the title?
View Quote

Airborne. Air born is fucking nonsense, unless a flying squirrel is squirting out kits mid-flight. Airborne, or air borne, as in borne or carried upon the air.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Lots of old electrical and transformer vaults under streets. Lots exploding gases run under streets. Old 40-50-70 year old transformer vaults that are bomb/arc flash waiting to happe. And as mentioned the ground around the support collar of man hole decay,not but on well, fastener broke, many ways these can fail and fly. Tanker truck in a newer neighborhood wrecks, heavier than air or flammables get in storm drains. One spark and boom, over pressure has to exit somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:27:35 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

That is some Final Destination shit.
View Quote

Fuck yeah it is...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top