Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/12/2016 6:39:14 PM EDT
44, I have never owned a dog. Never lived with a dog. All I know about dogs is that people like them. Did I mention I know nothing about dogs?

We babysat my parents dog last summer, and now my wife wants one.

So, 10 year old, 13 year old, wife, & me. I work at home, so I will be with dog 99% of time. What kind of dog:

Doesn't shed a lot
Is not a complete retard
Does not do that yippy barking shit all the time
Is easy to train not to shit and piss in my house

I live on 10 acres and have run of neighbors 10 acres as well, so dog can do whatever he wants most of the time. He can fuck around on 20 acres all day long if he feels like it.

I'm headed out to dinner, but if you guys could post advice in this thread, I'd appreciate it (will read later). This is the only pace I know of where I actually trust people with advice about dogs.

I don't have a wife pic handy right now. ARFCOM, you are picking the dog.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a Belgian Malinois, they are low maintenance dogs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Cattle dog

Fits all your needs.

Do lots of research on whatever breed you choose. Any rescue centres near you?

http://www.dogplay.com/LaughingDogPress/ACD_1.html
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Clearly a pitbull is the only logical conclusion.

That or a weiner dog

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Rott
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cattle dog

Fits all your needs.

Do lots of research n whatever breed you choose. Any rescue centres bear you?
View Quote

One about 30 miles away, have never gone there. Probably check it out based on what you guys recommend. Is getting a puppy better than a rescue dog? Do you have to break adult ones of bad habits or are they just cool with everyting?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol, you are just wrong for that. You'd feel bad when he couldn't post on ARF anymore because the maligator took off all his damn fingers
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Choc. Lab or Long haired Dachshund.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#8]
You seem like a poodle guy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#9]
All dogs shed, if you buy from a breeder that says their dogs don't shed, I've got some oceanfront property in TN I'll sell you.

That said.

The ultimate first time dog would be a lab, they are ridiculously easy to train, and given some daily exercise they are very easy to manage past the puppy stage.

I seriously thought I was cheating when I trained my first lab, I was used to hound dogs. The lab actually has a desire to learn and please, get a working dog book, and give them a job (fetch basically) and they are extremely easy.

Stay away from tiny dogs, humans forgot to breed the assholishness out of them because they are so small.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lol, you are just wrong for that. You'd feel bad when he couldn't post on ARF anymore because the maligator took off all his damn fingers
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You people are effing with me already? Also, neighbor has 2 black labs, so I guess dog must play well with others.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#11]
German Shepherd Dogs only shed once a year.

All Year long

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Once you have the right one, you'll kick yourself in the nuts for not doing it sooner.

BTW, I know you said not shedding alot, but I will always recommend a Sheltie.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Get an old dog.  A really old one.  They will just sit around and not bother you.  With any luck, about the time you get tired of the dog maintenance, the dog dies.  Win-win.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Get a mutt at the pound.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

One about 30 miles away, have never gone there. Probably check it out based on what you guys recommend. Is getting a puppy better than a rescue dog? Do you have to break adult ones of bad habits or are they just cool with everyting?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cattle dog

Fits all your needs.

Puppies are both easier and harder at the same time, the first 6 months is tough, because they are basically going from babies to teenagers. However, you have the chance from day one to make sure you shape the dog the way you want it. All my dogs have been house trained and had basic tricks down 4 months old, it really helps to set the pace for advanced work later, you can also screw up a pup so bad you end up with a spoiled dog too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cattle dog

Fits all your needs.

Difficult question that will have many different answers. Considering you are new to this lots of research and a puppy would be my leaning. Most rescue dogs are great, they seem to know they are loved and reciprocate. Some have issues though.

Read,read and read. About training basics. I've added a link up there about cattle dog personality.

Very easy to train but they are head strong. You won't find a better best friend

If I had your land I'd have about 20 of them :)
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Labradoodle. Just find a good breeder. Two great dogs, lab and poodle, both super smart, and hunting dogs. Labs shed loads, Labradoodles shed a lot less.

Friend has one, super cool dog.

This photo is a goldendoodle I think not lab. Not entirely sure of the differences besides the obvious. Still a cute dog.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#19]
English sheepdog.  They don't shed.  Hair just keeps growing cut it off when it gets long.  Ours was tough as nails, and did not bark a lot.  She was slightly hard to potty train but not to bad.  Also very good with kids, and other animals.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:52:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

As I understand it they are smart and shed little

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#21]
My wife has wanted a dog since we have gotten married.  (Un)fortunately we both work full time so it has been pretty easy to say no.  Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Get a male beagle.  Keep him clean and let him take turns sleeping at the foot of everyones bed. You have to have a fenced in yard because they follow their nose... forever or till they get run over...... which ever one comes first. Great family dog.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#23]
You've been missing out OP, go to a few pounds and window shop, you'll know the right one when you see him.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#24]
A female minature Schnauzer.  Should be under 20 pounds when grown.  Smart, loyal, trainable.
ETA:
" />
Mina and Nina, our female mini's pups endorse this post.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Shepard or lab

/thread
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

All Year long
View Quote

GSDs are great dogs.  Let us see if this picture works and you tell me if you recognize the white stuff on the ground.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#27]
how do you live 40+ years and never have a dog?

you live on 10 acres?
you don't need one dog.. you need a pack of beagles. 6 atleast.

I don't understand this from the start.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

you live on 10 acres?

View Quote

I don't know, my family just never did dogs. Now, my wife is all guilt tripping me because we have 10 acres (and the neighbors plot of 10 acres they never use is basically ours as well).
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Get a male beagle.  Keep him clean and let him take turns sleeping at the foot of everyones bed. You have to have a fenced in yard because they follow their nose... forever or till they get run over...... which ever one comes first. Great family dog.
View Quote

Don't lie to the man.

Beagles are the worst, they have all the jerkness of a full sized hound, but it's condensed, so there is more jerk per cubic inch in them.

Great dogs if you rabbit hunt, I dislike them so much though I won't even get one to hunt with.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't know, my family just never did dogs. Now, my wife is all guilt tripping me because we have 10 acres (and the neighbors plot of 10 acres they never use is basically ours as well).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you live on 10 acres?

When you get the dog invest in a good wireless fence and enough wire to run the whole property, trust me, they are worth every penny when you have a dog that will patrol, but not leave the boundary lines.

Mine both are on watch all day, they hassle anyone that pulls in, and meth heads prefer easy targets, not places with a few dogs over 100 lbs giving them shit when they slow down.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Get a wolf.  Even better, get three!
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Standard poodle.
Smart and trainable, not yappy, very low shedding.

There is no need to give them a ridiculous trim, though poodles to need grooming.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

GSDs are great dogs.  Let us see if this picture works and you tell me if you recognize the white stuff on the ground.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e231/BobSmith/DSC02665_zpsxscgn3my.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All Year long

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e231/BobSmith/DSC02665_zpsxscgn3my.jpg

It is amazing how much you can comb out of them

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't let your dogs run loose.  That is a good way to get them killed.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#35]
No. Don't live with an animal.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Lab of course.  Bestest dog as everyone knows.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm leaning towards lab, although my neighbor's eats rocks and has to go to vet because of it. What about Jack Russel Terriers? My daughter thinks they are really cute. They look shifty to me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Standard poodle.

There is no need to give them a ridiculous trim, though poodles to need grooming.

http://www.vetbook.org/wiki/dog/images/thumb/4/49/Standard_poodle.jpg/300px-Standard_poodle.jpg
View Quote

Don't shed at all in general (poodles), and their "hair" is actually very close to that of their human companions.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm leaning towards lab, although my neighbor's eats rocks and has to go to vet because of it. What about Jack Russel Terriers? My daughter thinks they are really cute. They look shifty to me.
View Quote

Jack Russel's are great if you want a dog that can do Algebra and also debate with you every decision you make.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

is their lab a Chocolate?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

A Standard Poodle would be an awesome dog. There is a lady who walks one every morning here in town as I go to work. Beautiful intelligent dog.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
44, I have never owned a dog. Never lived with a dog. All I know about dogs is that people like them. Did I mention I know nothing about dogs?

We babysat my parents dog last summer, and now my wife wants one.

So, 10 year old, 13 year old, wife, & me. I work at home, so I will be with dog 99% of time. What kind of dog:

Doesn't shed a lot
Is not a complete retard
Does not do that yippy barking shit all the time
Is easy to train not to shit and piss in my house

I live on 10 acres and have run of neighbors 10 acres as well, so dog can do whatever he wants most of the time. He can fuck around on 20 acres all day long if he feels like it.

I'm headed out to dinner, but if you guys could post advice in this thread, I'd appreciate it (will read later). This is the only pace I know of where I actually trust people with advice about dogs.

I don't have a wife pic handy right now. ARFCOM, you are picking the dog.
View Quote

Do you want small, medium, or big?

Because with low barking and low shedding, you may want to consider something from the Greyhound family.    They do very well indoors (great for apartments too) and although they are very athletic and love to run, they're also couch potatoes and are easy going.

As for size... there's different breeds to pick from.   From largest to smallest that I know of there's Greyhound, Galgo, Whippet, and Italian Greyhound.  

We have the latter (mixed with rat terrier).  She tends to whine more than bark, but she WILL bark at the mailman and when she's at the park (trying to get other dogs to race her up and down the fence).  She learned very quickly to only pee outside and is very well behaved.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

JRT's are great if you like living with stubborn crackheads. Labs are considered a bit less intelligent, but that isn't a comment on trainability. There is a reason they are so popular. They do shed though, maybe not as much as others, but that is a trait.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

that's mean
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Lab is what you seek.
Very smart, gentle, loyal.
Color is irrelevant.

I also had a Jack Russel. They bark- a lot, at everything, and are generally retarded in comparison to a Lab.
He was good dog though, but kind of a prick.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Don't shed at all in general (poodles), and their "hair" is actually very close to that of their human companions.

A.W.D.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Standard poodle.

http://www.vetbook.org/wiki/dog/images/thumb/4/49/Standard_poodle.jpg/300px-Standard_poodle.jpg

A.W.D.

Pretty much. My sister has a poodle border collie mix that doesn't shed at all. Not sure I'd recommend one of those. The energy of the collie without the focus and direction. Friendliest dog you'll ever meet though. Absolute favorite thing by far is meeting new people.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Get a mutt at the pound.
View Quote

Gotten a couple dogs as rescues...all mutts but good dogs.  I prefer house dogs to be around 50lbs, big enough to play a little rough with but small enough they aren't mistaken for a pony.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top