Quoted:
Quoted:
66k isn't a lot?
ha ha ha ha
Isn't it tax free too?  

Yes.

Quoted:
Quoted:
One of our Sgts. got that for an injury at Floyd Bennett Field.

You can get that remaining 1/4's @ Floyd Bennet?!?!? I need to visit Aviation and Driver Training more often!

Yep, federal property. He crashed a scooter at training. One of the guys from Driver Training also got it for a knee injury when they were first testing the Segways IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not how I would set the rules of the game.

That said, I do not begrudge anyone for pursuing their own interests in accordance with the rules.

Have a beef?

Change the rules.
View Quote

You don't begrudge liars and thieves?

That's fine, shower them with your own money, not mine too.

This country is fucked proper.

Nobody cares
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Good for her. Who gives a fuck? The jealous folks are welcome to apply to the PD.
View Quote

She's a lying scumbag and a parasite.

The USA has well over a trillion dollars worth of unfunded public pensions to pay off and no money.

I'm a structural engineer.

I'm starting to see giant rust holes in bridges that needed a paint job 10 years ago.

But there was "no money" for a $250,000 paint job, so now the taxpayers are looking at spending $10M on a new bridge.

It is a disgrace.

We had enough public money to build the interstate system in 1960 but we don't have the money to paint the bridges now.

Sooner or later, the USA is going to go into Greece / Zimbabwei mode and go completely broke.

because everyone is fucking and fucking and fucking and fucking the middle class out of existence

What are you going to say then?

That everyone is jealous?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#4]
If WA would have given me $66K in disability for my 25 years I would have taken it.  They said at MOST $1485/month.

For my 30 years I will be doing a bit better than her, but NO medical.

I say guilty, people who abused the fuck out of the LEOFF1 pension system got us the LEOFF2 system that I am in.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The USA has well over a trillion dollars worth of unfunded public pensions to pay off and no money.

I'm starting to see giant rust holes in bridges that needed a paint job 10 years ago.

But there was "no money" for a $250,000 paint job, so now the taxpayers are looking at spending $10M on a new bridge.

It is a disgrace.

We had enough public money to build the interstate system in 1960 but we don't have the money to paint the bridges now.

Sooner or later, the USA is going to go into Greece / Zimbabwei mode and go completely broke.

because everyone is fucking and fucking and fucking and fucking the middle class out of existence

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good for her. Who gives a fuck? The jealous folks are welcome to apply to the PD.

It is a disgrace.

Just her or any Cop who takes a disability pension?????

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:45:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Ankle tattoo = puts out in mens room of club.

Still a societal leach though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nobody cares
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That said, I do not begrudge anyone for pursuing their own interests in accordance with the rules.

Have a beef?

Change the rules.

Nobody cares
It ain't only cops, lots of municipal workers have awesome golden parachutes
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It is a disgrace.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a disgrace.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#11]
The fact that she used to be a cop is irrelevant. This entitled bitch is no different than the rest of the social welfare whores whose lives are paid for with my tax dollars. Get off your fat lazy ass and work!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Have a beef?

Change the rules.
View Quote

but you can't because unions wield enough power over politicians that it will never change.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Tits are as fake as her disability claims.
View Quote

You are correct, sir.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

but you can't because unions wield enough power over politicians that it will never change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have a beef?
Change the rules.

Yeah all that power the police union wields over pols in NYC. That's how they scored that recent big raise.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It is a disgrace.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a disgrace.

As far as that goes, maybe you should be angrier about all of the money we're dumping into nation-building around the world that would have gone towards your bridge repairs in an alternate timeline
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Have a beef?

Change the rules.
View Quote

I think the beef isn't with the retired cop, it lies elsewhere.   Come on, let's be realistic here.    The people who are expected to foot the bill for this have pretty much zero chance of "changing the rules" short of going the pitchforks-and-torches route.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah all that power the police union wields over pols in NYC. That's how they scored that recent big raise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have a beef?
Change the rules.

Everyone here thinks it's only cops
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Oh well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a disgrace.

Oh well.
I say what about lowlifes winning double digit million dollar lawsuits? Politicians who charge you just to talk to them, when you win funding for a project you have to kickback
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Page 2.

Too bad it didn't happen on federal property.
She would have been looking at 4/4!

Stop....the veritable unicorn of pensions.

We talk about it all the time but nobody has ever known someone to get it.  Guess I won't complain about all the running to JFK anymore.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Of course, because after all, Nothing changes in medicine over the course of years...there have never ever been new developments...... especially in Orthopedic Surgery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Knee injury appears to be a scam .

Of course, because after all, Nothing changes in medicine over the course of years...there have never ever been new developments...... especially in Orthopedic Surgery.

Well, she no longer looks disabled. She should go back to work.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So you're pissed you work somewhere that has shitty benefits including no retirement? You, like everyone else, could've signed the papers but instead you'd rather say we suck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But she was a public servant, she DESERVES better then us mere phlebs in society.

The entire welfare disability program for govt employees needs to be dismantled.

Pensions should be stopped and a 401 type retirement initiated instead.

No more 20 and out bullshit with full pensions.

ANY disabilty claim should be seriously investigated and and fraud severely punished up to an including a total loss of all benifits.

And there isn't a damn thing wrong with putting someone with a ''disability'' behind a desk working or in the public on a school safety mission.

So you're pissed you work somewhere that has shitty benefits including no retirement? You, like everyone else, could've signed the papers but instead you'd rather say we suck.

In said those who scam the sysem suck, always amazes me that certain professions seem to be more willing to justify the bullshitters in their ranks.

401K with match, pension, Roth, PM's, other assets, no debt, house paid off, 2 new vehicles in garage, I'm doing OK.

My profession would have had her back to work on her normal job, not mooching off the taxpayers or ratepayers and running triatelons.

System is broke for several reasons [not all employee caused] but padding and BS ''disabilities'' are a big part of it where it's allowed or winked at.

If you're better, get your  ass back to work or get fired. Lifelong disabilty should be absolutel f--king hard to get, if it's not, it's abused by a significant percentage.

Know one State Trooper fell off his own house roof while roofing, yep, taxpayers get to pay for his ass forever.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
In said those who scam the sysem suck, always amazes me that certain professions seem to be more willing to justify the bullshitters in their ranks.

401K with match, pension, Roth, PM's, other assets, no debt, house paid off, 2 new vehicles in garage, I'm doing OK.

My profession would have had her back to work on her normal job, not mooching off the taxpayers or ratepayers and running triatelons.

System is broke for several reasons [not all employee caused] but padding and BS ''disabilities'' are a big part of it where it's allowed or winked at.

If you're better, get your  ass back to work or get fired. Lifelong disabilty should be absolutel f--king hard to get, if it's not, it's abused by a significant percentage.

Know one State Trooper fell off his own house roof while roofing, yep, taxpayers get to pay for his ass forever.
View Quote

Sounds like the system is screwed on that example........
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
But she was a public servant, she DESERVES better then us mere phlebs in society.

The entire welfare disability program for govt employees needs to be dismantled.

ANY disabilty claim should be seriously investigated and and fraud severely punished up to an including a total loss of all benifits.

And there isn't a damn thing wrong with putting someone with a ''disability'' behind a desk working or in the public on a school safety mission.
View Quote

Fuck that noise, 13 years to go
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I worked with a cop who got a disability pension for a "line of duty" hand injury. He actually fucked up his hand crashing a golf cart while playing drunken bumper carts at a precinct golf outing.
Last I heard he moved and was working at another police department.

Quoted:
Quoted:

My department's already dwindling applicant pool would dry up overnight.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The plus side is you own it no matter what and asshole state and cities can't ''borrow'' against it like they tend to do with pension plans if they can get away with it. What you've accrued should still go to you whether tranferred to a 401 or a partial pension payment until all remaining are dead or have been compensated fairly.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The plus side is you own it no matter what and asshole state and cities can't ''borrow'' against it like they tend to do with pension plans if they can get away with it. What you've accrued should still go to you whether tranferred to a 401 or a partial pension payment until all remaining are dead or have been compensated fairly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL I will keep my pension, 457b, and roth. Thanks for the concern though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I worked with a cop who got a disability pension for a "line of duty" hand injury. He actually fucked up his hand crashing a golf cart while playing drunken bumper carts at a precinct golf outing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Different depts. have different criteria - look at the one-eyed Fullerton cop that was medically retired by LAPD.  

Look at how many vets receive disability payments but are cops or firefighters.

Until there is  national standard there will always be these kinds of cases.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Sorta depends on the injury now doesn't it?

And, what the department doesn't want to deal with (as far as injuries go) may not rule out doing stuff like running/swimming/or biking.  The union, and the pension plan all have an affect on this.

Now, if she's getting federal or state physical disability checks, she needs to go to jail for fraud.

View Quote
She may be eligible for USDOJ Public Safety Officers' Benefits program, which, for the year she went out disabled 2009, would be $339,881.00 plus education benefits for self, spouse and dependents.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Weren't you the guy who said your kid could do it better than the Marines?

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Lol.  Why do I care?  New Yorkers don't.  Do you think they're worried about disability benefits when they elect a committed socialist?

View Quote
You have a point. The voters who elected the socialism also agrees to and contributes to higher taxes

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat? What is ''Do it?"
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Wat? What is ''Do it?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat? What is ''Do it?"

I don't recall what it was linked to.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The whole thing is tax free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Running an hour or two in a marathon is no comparison to sitting in a patrol vehicle or chasing perps for 60 hrs a week.

If she was working 60 hours a week her pension would be a lot more.

66 is nothing to laugh at since a good portion is tax free

The whole thing is tax free.

Federally tax free also? Any NYPD pension or only disability?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only disability. Fed and state tax free in NY. You pay some state tax in some other states if you move.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The city doesn't want that, the pension is their number one recruitment tool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes, i can see they are having trouble recruiting.  

you are saying that should a defined contribution plan be put in place of the pension, applicants would drop from about 15,000 per year to say 7500 per year, all for a few hundred open positions?

and, there are apparently ~50K applicants in backlog:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/nypd-suspends-exams-for-new-officers-will-hire-from-backlog-1435238755

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Big fucking A to that!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Only disability. Fed and state tax free in NY. You pay some state tax in some other states if you move.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did the IRS agree to that or does the state/city pay the taxable amount?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Dirty Inky, guilty
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#39]
You don't pay taxes on SSDI
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

yes, I can see they are having trouble recruiting.  
you are saying that should a defined contribution plan be put in place of the pension, applicants would drop from about 15,000 per year to say 7500 per year, all for a few hundred open positions?
http://www.wsj.com/articles/nypd-suspends-exams-for-new-officers-will-hire-from-backlog-1435238755
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their applicants dropped over 17% recently. The last time they messed with pay/benefits for new hires in 2005 their applicant pool dried up overnight and they were forced to hire people previously DQd in order to fill academy classes. They didn't even touch the pension benefits that contract either.
A few hundred positions? They've been doing academy classes of 600-1100 people every 6 months and still can't keep up with attrition, not to mention that the majority of the people on that list can't even meet NYPD's low hiring standards.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:57:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
As long as there's no objective fraud (i.e., fake diagnosis, faked injury or the like) I have no problem with an individual who avails themselves of a societal incentive like disability benefits.  ETA my problem is with a society who has lowered the bar so low, that anyone can get disability for nonsensical reasons.

View Quote

I am still in the process of appealing for .Gov disability; it has been ongoing since 12/1/2014 (my last day of work).  I was an executive at my company prior to becoming ill.  I was paid well with great benefits.  UNUM provides my private long term disability benefits (% of my pay and life insurance policies).  Part of the LTD UNUM agreement is that I am required to file with government for disability.  I won't get any of the .gov money; neither the monthly stipend nor the lump amount they pay on approval (amount owed between applied date and approval date - usually ~$20k) as it goes to UNUM.  With UNUM, they are obligated to cover my LTD until age 65 (29 years).  Any additional outside income (i.e. .Gov Social Security $, or any job $) is 100% consumed by UNUM.  

I clearly meet all disability criteria for both private LTD and .GOV criteria (.Gov's eligibility sections 1.02, 5.06, 5.08, 6.09, 11.06, 11.08, 11.12, 11.14, and 14.07).  I have 7 different doctors certifying a medical diagnosis for each of those .gov mapped criteria, along with just as many conditions NOT listed under their accepted conditions.  These doctors work at prestigious institutions such as University of Kansas Medical Research Center and the Mayo Clinic Rochester.

This week I received a packet from SSI asking all kinds of stupid questions.  They wanted me to list neighbors who can verify my physical state.  Further, they wanted to know if I have ever had authority problems with the police, or if I have ever been terminated due to any violent activities.  I have also had to go be seen by an SSI doctor for their analysis of me.  This was the most worthless waste of time ever.  The waiting room was filled with people that carried their walking devices from their car, to the office, and then started using them in front of the office staff!  The doctor that saw me barely spoke English, and saw me for a total of 6 minutes; it was clear he didn't review my file as the nurse couldn't believe I was there as the medical documentation provided consumed thousands of pages of paper - compared to their typical cases of people with a "hurt knee" or "fibromyalgia".

With this latest questionnaire packet, there wasn't any place to further document any medical issues.

I simply wanted to know where to I put down any ancillary information about my health, such as the name of the HOSPICE provider taking care of me now that I have progressed that much further.

I do not understand how anyone can get on government disability, based on what I have had to go through (and I am still not approved).  I have a higher probability of dying before I receive my acceptance letter.  I don't understand.  I know there are a lot of people on disability, but I don't know how.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:01:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
<snip>
View Quote

The chick in the OP isn't getting SS disability, she gets a NYC Police Pension Fund disability pension. The criteria are much lower than SSD.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:18:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We prosecute people like that in CA.  See Gabe Suarez, for example.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:26:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

70+ retired cops were arrested for that kind of fraud in NYC in the last 2 years.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:33:41 AM EDT
[#45]
In before Extorris.  Oh wait a minute, my bad.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:21:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Their applicants dropped over 17% recently. The last time they messed with pay/benefits for new hires in 2005 their applicant pool dried up overnight and they were forced to hire people previously DQd in order to fill academy classes. They didn't even touch the pension benefits that contract either.
A few hundred positions? They've been doing academy classes of 600-1100 people every 6 months and still can't keep up with attrition, not to mention that the majority of the people on that list can't even meet NYPD's low hiring standards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The other thing that needs to be considered is that there are a lot of people who take the test but only have marginal interest in NYPD. When I was considering applying (as a sort of safety hedge...I ended up getting a job in my degree field ), one of the things I noticed on various forums was that just about everybody in the tristate area (lower NY, NJ, CT) who was looking for an LE job had an NYPD test number and score....usually in queue with a litany of other agencies that they were also interested in. (There were some people who really wanted something in NYC, but a lot of posters seemed to relegate NYPD as being a sort of a fall back option.

In financial terms, I don't believe that NYPD offers its officers a good deal. Here in Connecticut, where I do periodically apply for LE jobs, (just about always better pay  and have places with substantially more economical costs of living within reasonable commuting distance.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:13:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:17:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Tits are as fake as her disability claims.
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:43:54 AM EDT
[#49]
This week I received a packet from SSI asking all kinds of stupid questions. They wanted me to list neighbors who can verify my physical state. Further, they wanted to know if I have ever had authority problems with the police, or if I have ever been terminated due to any violent activities. I have also had to go be seen by an SSI doctor for their analysis of me. This was the most worthless waste of time ever. The waiting room was filled with people that carried their walking devices from their car, to the office, and then started using them in front of the office staff! The doctor that saw me barely spoke English, and saw me for a total of 6 minutes; it was clear he didn't review my file as the nurse couldn't believe I was there as the medical documentation provided consumed thousands of pages of paper - compared to their typical cases of people with a "hurt knee" or "fibromyalgia

LOL!!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:10:40 AM EDT
[#50]
So much GD butthurt...it appears she took care of herself and worked hard at rehab.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top