User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#1]
COOL
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#2]
First picture, front row, 3rd from left looks just like Perconte from BoB miniseries.

Awesome pics.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#3]
What a grind that war must have been. Soaked in trenches, mud, filth, rats and then charging machine guns.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

and carrying heavier equipment compared to todays technology
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It always surprises me how small they used to be

It's interesting to read about how much issue gear got dumped once joe got off the boat, both in WW1 and WW2.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's not a fake tree. That's a fake dead horse observation post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fake tree observation post? Fuck that shit.

http://i.imgur.com/ovbpXyZ.jpg

That's not a fake tree. That's a fake dead horse observation post.

He was probably referring to the tree in the pictures at the link. The next poster posted the dead horse.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#6]
As someone who has a borderline unhealthy obsession with aviation. I would drool at the chance to fly in one of these.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:21:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

President Lincoln was 6'4" which was an astonishing stature at that time but is fairly typical today. But look at Lincoln and compare with his troops.
http://i.lv3.hbo.com/assets/images/documentaries/living-with-lincoln/living-with-lincoln-1024.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

President Lincoln was 6'4" which was an astonishing stature at that time but is fairly typical today. But look at Lincoln and compare with his troops.
http://i.lv3.hbo.com/assets/images/documentaries/living-with-lincoln/living-with-lincoln-1024.jpg

Lots of big Americans early I. The country's history especially around 1800.  Diet on the frontier and farms was heavy in protein.  
I've read George washington from could crush walnut shells in his hand.

But back to the pictures.   The photo of th old string bag Harry Tate biplane (RE8) was neat.  There has long been a debate about t the correct color of the olive dope applied the upper fabric.  Shade likely varied batch to batch.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Currently listening to Dan Carlin's Blueprint for Armageddon.  These photos are incredible!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because it's why they had to do and they were bad asses who would nut up and get the job done .  We have had a serious decrease in that type of  intestinal fortitude for the last three generations .

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

False. Infantry carries much heavier shit these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

False you carry more gear and better gear, not heavier gear . Their gear was poorly made , heavy as fuck , totally uncomfortable and got exponentially heavier when it would load full of water and mud .  They carried less ammo with more weight and heavier rifles and grenades etc etc etc .  Uniforms sucked beyond sucking and their boots were horrible at best.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Imagine trying to fight of depression looking at this landscape for days on end and hoping some sniper didn't drill your dome
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Imagine trying to fight of depression looking at this landscape for days on end and hoping some sniper didn't drill your dome
https://www.thevintagenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/12234876_768744959936025_466016129212755400_n.jpg
View Quote

Truth and the malaise of combat was literally invented in the trenches of WWI. No soldiers in any war since that time have endured the hardships, casualties and terrors they did.

Killing tech literally out paced strategy and tactics  , couple that with non existent PPE and horrible medical technology and no antibiotics.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

False you carry more gear and better gear, not heavier gear . Their gear was poorly made , heavy as fuck , totally uncomfortable and got exponentially heavier when it would load full of water and mud .  They carried less ammo with more weight and heavier rifles and grenades etc etc etc .  Uniforms sucked beyond sucking and their boots were horrible at best.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're so colossally wrong on this its sad.

Germans, French, Brits, Americans, all of them followed the early 20th century studies about combat loads. There is a reason that the 1910 haversack looked the way it did, because it was designed to handle a very specific load, it didn't have room for anything else, to prevent overloading. It was made out of canvas, which isn't any heavier than cordura nylon. And most times the haversack wasn't worn in combat, they carried web gear, one canteen, a bayonet, maybe a few grenades, and a rifle. Add helmet and clothes, it was way under 1/3 of their bodyweight, at a time when they usually weighed about 130-150 lbs.

Curious, I weighed myself in Iraq wearing my IOTV with pouches, ammo, radios, grenades, water, demo, etc., it came in at 77 lbs. This didn't include my helmet with NODs, my rifle, or my clothing.

Modern combat loads often exceed the approach march loads (combat load + sustainment load) of the old days. Our approach march loads often exceed the weight of a 1914 soldier. You could literally carry one of them on our back and it would be the same weight you carry humping the mountains of Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Germans, French, Brits, Americans, all of them followed the early 20th century studies about combat loads. There is a reason that the 1910 haversack looked the way it did, because it was designed to handle a very specific load, it didn't have room for anything else, to prevent overloading. It was made out of canvas, which isn't any heavier than cordura nylon. And most times the haversack wasn't worn in combat, they carried web gear, one canteen, a bayonet, maybe a few grenades, and a rifle. Add helmet and clothes, it was way under 1/3 of their bodyweight, at a time when they usually weighed about 130-150 lbs.

Curious, I weighed myself in Iraq wearing my IOTV with pouches, ammo, radios, grenades, water, demo, etc., it came in at 77 lbs. This didn't include my helmet with NODs, my rifle, or my clothing.

Modern combat loads often exceed the approach march loads (combat load + sustainment load) of the old days. Our approach march loads often exceed the weight of a 1914 soldier. You could literally carry one of them on our back and it would be the same weight you carry humping the mountains of Afghanistan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not only are you wrong you must be Dave_A  with the style of respones you constantly post.  You have no fucking idea about what you talk about gear has gotten consistently lighter and better, they carried less and it factually ended up weighing more . I collected early American web gear for years . I also compared the weights to modern gear . Of course your join date tells me all I need to know about this . Let me guess you are a spec 4 ?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#17]
In the scheme of things, it hasn't been that long ago that WWI happened and we haven't learned a damn thing.  I think war is built into our DNA as a part of natural thinning of the heard.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As someone who has a borderline unhealthy obsession with aviation. I would drool at the chance to fly in one of these.https://www.thevintagenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/11889445_732592996884555_8622817890089419333_n.jpg

View Quote

I flew in one of those.

Ok, not technically one of those, lol. It was actually as a passenger at an air show, and it was a Stearman bi-plane...but, it was a bi-plane, and yes, we went upside down. Was great fun. of course the Stearman being more WWII, it benefited in design from the lessons of the earlier bi-planes. I imagine flying in an actual WWI vintage bi-plane was likely much, much different, and more precarious.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In the scheme of things, it hasn't been that long ago that WWI happened and we haven't learned a damn thing.  I think war is built into our DNA as a part of natural thinning of the heard.
View Quote

We have gotten much better in some ways and much worse in others . Previous generations played to win, we fight wars now for a zero sum gain .
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Just think of all the dicks drawn on all those trench walls.....    
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing you weren't 11 series.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

https://www.thevintagenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/12234876_768744959936025_466016129212755400_n.jpg
View Quote
Actually seeing this landscape wasn't an everyday thing at the front.  Most of the time you were living belowground, in half-blasted trenches and shell holes, getting only short glimpses of No Man's Land. Also, the water under your duckboards was a combination of mud, grease, blood, chemicals from shells, gas, etc, and whatever has been leaching out of three years worth of corpses stirred into the ground you're living in (to include the corpses of the men unlucky enough to slip off the duckboards and slowly sink to their death in the "mud").  

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

We've actually learned a lot about fighting wars since then. That's why they don't look anything like what they did 100 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Not only are you wrong you must be Dave_A  with the style of respones you constantly post.  You have no fucking idea about what you talk about gear has gotten consistently lighter and better, they carried less and it factually ended up weighing more . I collected early American web gear for years . I also compared the weights to modern gear . Of course your join date tells me all I need to know about this . Let me guess you are a spec 4 ?
View Quote
http://www.army.gov.au/~/media/Files/Our%20future/LWSC%20Publications/AAJ/2010Winter/07-TheHistoryOfTheSoldiers.pdf

Go to page 22
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Compared to the WWII uniform, the German WWI uniform looked ill fitted
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
http://www.army.gov.au/~/media/Files/Our%20future/LWSC%20Publications/AAJ/2010Winter/07-TheHistoryOfTheSoldiers.pdf  

Go to page 22
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go to page 22

Have you ever actually personally handled a full load out of WWI era gear . And weighed it against the contemporary modern load , then got it wet and full of mud. Same thing for the uniforms ?  Till you do I'm not taking replies like this seriously .  The gear they used and the gear the modern soldier uses are not even in the same class.

Modern gear is lighter , dries faster, is better fitting , and on and on.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hugo Boss designed the WWII versions
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
That may be a result of the people that were filling them by 1917.  I'm sure they looked better in August of '14.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Have you ever actually personally handled a full load out of WWI era gear . And weighed it against the contemporary modern load , then got it wet and full of mud. Same thing for the uniforms ?  Till you do I'm not taking replies like this seriously .  The gear they used and the gear the modern soldier uses are not even in the same class.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go to page 22

Wow.  You're an ignorant asshole.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks OP
Colorization has come a long way.

Lots of these current color altered pics show much more detail than the original B&W
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Wow.  You're a ignorant asshole.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go to page 22

I'll admit to being an asshole , ignorant i am not . I collected militaria for 20 years and FYI the modern shit is even lighter than the ALICE gear I was issued. So yeas the gear is not as heavy as the gear they used.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
Speakin' of uniforms,  the French in 1914 looked like they stepped out of 1861.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XQVtLFhnjf8/VdbPsP8nbUI/AAAAAAAARxc/GH_iKzhW8FQ/s1600/French_bayonet_charge.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XQVtLFhnjf8/VdbPsP8nbUI/AAAAAAAARxc/GH_iKzhW8FQ/s1600/French_bayonet_charge.jpg

That's because it was 19th century equipment .
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'll admit to being an asshole , ignorant i am not . I collected militaria for 20 years and FYI the modern shit is even lighter than the ALICE gear I was issued. So yeas the gear is not as heavy as the gear they used.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go to page 22

Ignorant.  You're comparing ALICE gear to what soldiers are carrying in "battle" in todays war.  If you spend some time on the link that I sent you, you'd see just how ignorant you are.  Moron.  Click

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#36]
This is seriously blowing my mind.  Can someone please explain how a soldier with no armor,  a small amount of ammo, a rifle without an optic or ir, no kevlar with nvg bullshit on it, no ifak, no radio, and one canteen can possibly be carrying heavier stuff?  WHERE IS IT?  are their pants lined with lead?  Oh their clothes got wet and muddy?  I guess my cammies were defective because they still got wet in water and carried more mud than I thought possible.

The guys saying modern shit is lighter probably never used any of it.  Am I right?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#37]
I would like to send this to some family

but its got new world order adds and big ole titties stuff all over the side and bottom of the page
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This is seriously blowing my mind.  Can someone please explain how a soldier with no armor,  a small amount of ammo, a rifle without an optic or ir, no kevlar with nvg bullshit on it, no ifak, no radio, and one canteen can possibly be carrying heavier stuff?  WHERE IS IT?  are their pants lined with lead?  Oh their clothes got wet and muddy?  I guess my cammies were defective because they still got wet in water and carried more mud than I thought possible.

The guys saying modern shit is lighter probably never used any of it.  Am I right?
View Quote

Everythjng they had was inferior but you can't seem to absorb that which is amazing.  Your uniform not only weighs less it wicks moisture better a dis more resistant to damage. It's called technology. Your IBA is heavier because regular troops were not issued IBA and FYI the IBA that existed back then was heavier and primitive at best.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
ALICE gear in the '90's!!!  YOU WEREN"T THERE, MAN!!

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go to page 22

I have to ask, are you including the weight of body armor, batteries, NV, spare MG ammo and all the other crap a 21st century soldier gets saddled with?  Because I can see the individual pieces of gear (rucksack, beltkit, etc) being lighter, but once it's all filled with stuff I really cant see how the WWI soldier was more heavily burdened on a daily basis (i.e, with stuff he was expected to have on his person during combat/patrol) than his 21st century equivalent.    

I'm not military, and I have no dog in this fight, as it were.  But I'm looking at these photos (and other photos from the trenches) and I don't see soldiers carry 60-80 pounds of stuff every single day.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The captured Germans standing next to the Brits looked tiny.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The captured Germans standing next to the Brits looked tiny.

They were probably kids. Think about how much a person changes from day 15-20 years old.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go to page 22

Dude, stop while you are behind. Modern American infantryman's fighting load completely dwarfs that of his predecessors.

Versus

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I would like to send this to some family

but its got new world order adds and big ole titties stuff all over the side and bottom of the page
View Quote

Not colorized, but maybe the links in this OP would help: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1621351_.html
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a big fucking idea, because not only did I actually carry this shit on my shoulders for a living, but I'm also a history buff and extensively study military history dating from the ancient period to the modern. You on the other hand no dogshit, because if you did, you sure as shit wouldn't be regurgitating this crap. I don't give a fuck if you hung out at gun shows and collected web gear. You certainly never loaded them up in a combat load, and you don't appear to have a clue what they wore, what they ditched, when they actually fought. Go dig through pics of WWI and WWII soldiers in combat, actually pulling triggers and moving, and you wont find them humping much else besides a helmet, web belt, some grenades, one canteen, some grenades, a rifle, and clothing. Meanwhile, we hump the same stuff, including body armor (30 lbs right there), NODs, radios, batteries, up to three canteens worth of water (which weighs a lot), not to mention M4s with enough shit attached to them that they weigh as much as a loaded Garand.

My join date reflects that I was serving my country after 9/11 and didn't have time to join arfcom and correct your sorry ass 14 years ago.

Signed,

Staff Sergeant, 11 years in the infantry in the USMC and Army, with a BA in History (cum laud)
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Average male height in the USA today is 5'10"

In 1912, it was 5'8"
http://i.imgur.com/nwCPryK.jpg
source: Durrell’s School Algebra (1912)

In 1776, it was 5'8"
http://www.nytimes.com/1982/04/15/garden/american-men-of-1776-said-to-have-stood-tall.html

Interestingly, the average height dropped a bit between 1776 and 1900.  The drop can be attributed to the environmental conditions resulting from industrialism in the late 19th century, coupled with the influx of (shorter) immigrants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Average male height in the USA today is 5'10"

In 1912, it was 5'8"
http://i.imgur.com/nwCPryK.jpg
source: Durrell’s School Algebra (1912)

In 1776, it was 5'8"
http://www.nytimes.com/1982/04/15/garden/american-men-of-1776-said-to-have-stood-tall.html

Interestingly, the average height dropped a bit between 1776 and 1900.  The drop can be attributed to the environmental conditions resulting from industrialism in the late 19th century, coupled with the influx of (shorter) immigrants.

Diet had more to do with it.  Not industrialization. Poor immigrants who were undernourished also a big factor

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's a fairly recent thing. Prior to 2001/2003 timeframe there were no plates and plate carriers...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah those guys didn't carry shit compared to modern infantry.  Just your plates, carrier, and kevlar probably weigh as much as pretty much all the shit those guys shuffled around in on a regular basis.

That's a fairly recent thing. Prior to 2001/2003 timeframe there were no plates and plate carriers...

When I was a young PFC in the 82nd, we just carried on our person, gas mask, LBE, six magazines, 2 one quart canteens, and butt pack (optional).
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Everythjng they had was inferior but you can't seem to absorb that which is amazing.  Your uniform not only weighs less it wicks moisture better a dis more resistant to damage. It's called technology. Your IBA is heavier because regular troops were not issued IBA and FYI the IBA that existed back then was heavier and primitive at best.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

you keep digging you are going to come out in china

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have to ask, are you including the weight of body armor, batteries, NV, spare MG ammo and all the other crap a 21st century soldier gets saddled with?  Because I can see the individual pieces of gear (rucksack, beltkit, etc) being lighter, but once it's all filled with stuff I really cant see how the WWI soldier was more heavily burdened on a daily basis (i.e, with stuff he was expected to have on his person during combat/patrol) than his 21st century equivalent.    

I'm not military, and I have no dog in this fight, as it were.  But I'm looking at these photos (and other photos from the trenches) and I don't see soldiers carry 60-80 pounds of stuff every single day.  

View Quote

And if you read what I said in my very first reply on the subject . I absolutely said the modern soldier carriers more gear . It's pretty simple yet there are a ton of people who cannot grasp the fact Everythjng they used was not only heavier it was shittier . Imagine digging your issue uniforms out of a giant pile of shit not sorted by size and hoping you got fitting clothing then having to go around and trade with fellow soldiers for clothing till you had a useable uniform .  They also dealt rations which were total shit and bad quality.

As the equipment has gotten lighter  and tech has progressed , soldiers have been able to carry more equipment it's an age old cycle.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Currently listening to Dan Carlin's Blueprint for Armageddon.  These photos are incredible!  Thanks!
View Quote

That's a fantastic series. The first hand accounts will give you chills.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

When I was a young PFC in the 82nd, we just carried on our person, gas mask, LBE, six magazines, 2 one quart canteens, and butt pack (optional).
View Quote

Same for me, when you weight that on a scale it will not weigh as much as a mills belt with 100 rounds on strippers , two metal canteens and covers, a 16 inch Springfield bayonet , first aid pouch and their  gas mask.

We rarely wore flak vest .
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top