Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:37:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry to hear OP...........

. vote Trump  because nobody else has talked about bring back American jobs   and kicking out  the ones that don't belong
View Quote

Hit up Ted Cruz's website, and check out some of his views.
That sucks to hear OP! Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Title pretty much says it all, never been laid off before. Came home and hit up the whiskey, it was my Friday either which way.
Going to wallow in self pity/ whiskey tonight and find something new tomorrow.

Any words of advice oh mighty arfcom?

Please excuse any grammatical errors,  I did hit the drink a bunch before I decided to post something.*

*Probably not my best idea lol.
View Quote

Whiskey???

Don't you have more responsible ways to cope???

Maybe that's why you were laid off???

Don't act like a Chump

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:08:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, drinking might not be my forte' but there is no reason to be rude, I only ever called in sick once, in 8 months, and don't drink very often, but the first time in 37 years I have been laid off  seemed like a good reason to tie one on. It was my friday either way, don't have to.go back for four days. I will certainly be looking for something new, before I have to hit the .gov tit
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:09:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine's coming at the end of the month.  Pass the whiskey.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:12:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Any severance pay or agreement get it in writing.  I got screwed by my last employer to the tune of $10,000 when they refused to pay me what they said they would in the agreement.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:28:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Whiskey???

Don't act like a Chump

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Title pretty much says it all, never been laid off before. Came home and hit up the whiskey, it was my Friday either which way.

Please excuse any grammatical errors,  I did hit the drink a bunch before I decided to post something.*

Whiskey???

Don't act like a Chump

What, are you his mother?  STFU and give the man a break.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:40:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm waiting to hear about a new job myself OP!  Of course...I've still got the old one.  Hit the road bright and early....or at least get online tomorrow and start sending out resumes.  Good Luck!!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:12:35 AM EDT
[#8]
This may be an option to consider if you don't mind working for the Federal Government. Jobs are literally all over the country. Make yourself a profile and throw a few resumes out. Whats the worst that can happen? Since your in OR, WA has a naval shipyard (PSNS) looking for people all the time.

USAJOBS.GOV
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:13:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry to hear..

18 years in my company and have survived probably 4 or 5 layoffs.  My time is coming, just hoping I can get another ten years out of this company.

ETA: to echo other sentiments, forget the booze...go workout or something.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:21:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry man, first put the whiskey away, nothing in that bottle will help you.
Things will work out, stay strong.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:34:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sorry man, first put the whiskey away, nothing in that bottle will help you.
Things will work out, stay strong.
View Quote

I agree with your point yet let the man have a few drinks. I would have a few to cut the shock if I was laid off. He's not an alcoholic, he just lost his job.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:09:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
5 times in 33 years

I took a step up and forward every time
View Quote

Merica.

Stay moto OP.

Watch a Pat Mac Vid and go blaze ops some interviews.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I hear you. I was laid off as well as the rest of the company i worked for yesterday morning before we punched in. They closed the location because the rich owner just grew tired of doing it anymore.

Ive been looking for work for the last two days, i do not drink.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear you. I was laid off as well as the rest of the company i worked for yesterday morning before we punched in. They closed the location because the rich owner just grew tired of doing it anymore.

Ive been looking for work for the last two days, i do not drink.

After filing for unemployment, treat job hunting like a job itself.

Start hunting for a job at 8 or 9 am until 5 or 6 pm, taking a break for lunch

This discipline helps you mentally in several ways.

Don't fall into self pity or drinking.  Its a trap.  You have to beat that stuff and be better than that
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:38:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn, sorry to hear that OP.  Not a good time to be in the steel industry.  I've made it through the last 5 layoffs here.  Thankfully it looks like they're over, things are starting to pickup, slightly.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well, drinking might not be my forte' but there is no reason to be rude, I only ever called in sick once, in 8 months, and don't drink very often, but the first time in 37 years I have been laid off  seemed like a good reason to tie one on. It was my friday either way, don't have to.go back for four days. I will certainly be looking for something new, before I have to hit the .gov tit
View Quote

Getting laid off is a great reason to tie one on.

Jeez, there must be a bunch of recovering alcoholics projecting on you in GD, an honest man that lost his job to a layoff deserves a drink.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#16]
indeed

careerbuilder

monster

All good websites.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:59:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Update resume, create a LinkedIn account, and start networking. It's not the end of the road , mate . Maybe do so oversea contracting to quickly get you back on your feet. Dangerous jobs.com or jsfirm if your into aviation
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, let's see if I can answer some of the questions.

The company is Evraz, formerly Oregon steel. They are shuttering the entire pipe mill. I am in the Portland metro area, so plenty of jobs around.

The real bummer is that I enjoyed the work, and the benefits and retirement plan were generous.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I was laid off right before Christmas in 2008. It was one of the best things that happened to me. Get up and keep going!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#20]
My best friend was just let go just shy of his 22nd year. He worked his ass off for the company and politics did him in. Sucks but sometimes doors close so that better ones can open.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top