Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps this might help the OP to show the scale of different size properties

This pic is just a little tighter in scale  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I know that an acre is about a football field (already googled it).
What I need is some sort of program where you can enter the number of acres and it shows you some sort of drawing to help visualize it.
For example, I am looking for land on the internet and some parcels are 50 acres, some 150... etc.  
Anyone know of a site that could do something like this?
View Quote
640 acres is a 'section' and is 1 mile by 1 mile.

Sections are broken down into 160 acres 'quarter sections' each 1/2 mile by 1/2th mile.  Often these are split into halves and are 80 acres (1/4th mile one side 1/2 mile the other side), or sometimes 40 acres (1/4th mile x 1/4th mile)

People then build homes, barns, groves etc  on it.  They then keep the buildings and the land the buildings sit on and sell the other land, which is how you end up with bits just a bit smaller than the standard 40, 80, 160.

Still, the idea of a section being 1 mile x 1 mile at 640 acres, and a quarter section at 160 acres .5 mile x .5 mile should help you 'visualize'

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:24:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Google earth app can do this, pull up any location draw boundary lines and it will calculate square footage and acerage  within the lines.

Pro version is free and does area calculation.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:04:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is the tool you need:
plot points on google maps aerial view and it will calculate the area for you.
https://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unfortunately that doesn't list property lines
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Google Image search for pics of the acreage you want?

Look up the address in Zillow.com it will show the property lines if you zoom in to the right level.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Download google earth pro. You have to look for it but it is free. It has a tool in it that measures area and you can set the units to acres. Regular google earth wont do this.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Most Garmin handheld GPS units will let you walk around an area and it will calculate how many acres,square miles, round kilometers, whatever format you want.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've looked at dozens of parcels that had property lines shaped like drunken centipedes, or even non-contiguous property. This is especially true when large parcels were broken up by a couple generations of descendants selling off portions of the original property.  Parcels of land are often sold as "more or less NN acres", because no one is sure any longer. Even with maps in hand it can be difficult to visualize the property included in the parcel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the areas are broken up into "nice, easy to visualize parcels", this is how they determine property taxes.

I've looked at dozens of parcels that had property lines shaped like drunken centipedes, or even non-contiguous property. This is especially true when large parcels were broken up by a couple generations of descendants selling off portions of the original property.  Parcels of land are often sold as "more or less NN acres", because no one is sure any longer. Even with maps in hand it can be difficult to visualize the property included in the parcel.

i bought 10 acres to flip one time, imagine a child drawing a christmas tree, now cut that christmas in half vertically. putting up the field fence for live stock (tax purposes) made me dizzy. at least 2 side were a straight line.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Use the tax records to show property lines - by now they should be online, even if you're in the sticks.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Here is the tool you need:

plot points on google maps aerial view and it will calculate the area for you.

View Quote

I came to post this. I use this as a rough idea of bidding properties for sod and such. Sometimes a measuring wheel is not feasible on very large commercial properties.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My county has a website where I can look up a parcel and view satellite imagery of it with property boundary overlays.  It also has a topographic overlay so you can see if half the acreage is a ravine.

Your county might have something similar.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Sometimes you can just google search "What does 50 acres look like" and somebody has taken pictures of their 50 acre lot to show somebody else who asked the same question.

Other than that, go look at places with known acreage.  I dove hunt on a farm that has 200 acres on each side of the road, which gives me a pretty good idea how much 200 acres is.

I deer hunt on a place that has 55,000 acres of huntable property, broken up into managed hunting areas of about 500 - 2,000 acres, which is a shit load of land.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look for the GIS map for your county on google. Then you can see parcels imposed over google maps.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

In the meantime, what about 15 acres?  Is that big enough to have a little shooting range do you think?
View Quote

Subjective really. Depends on if there is a good natural backstop and what the surroundings are.

If it's just a big flat field you'll need to spend some time with a bulldozer to make a good berm.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Make a 90 degree L with your feet.

Now imagine that L closed off into a square.

That is a square foot.

Now imagine 43,560 of those.

That is an acre.

Now imagine 2,178,000 of them and that will be 50 cares.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Most counties have a public facing geospatial system you can access for free.  Enter the address and it will usually show you the tax plot, which is pretty close to property boundaries.  They usually have some sort of measuring options- point to point, area, topography, ect.  Most also have satellite imagery overlays that give you an idea of ground cover.  Also look for flood zone delineation- found a nice place that's a Zone A Once you have an idea of where you are, check it out in Google Earth to get an idea of the lay of the land.  Flip between Google and Bing maps as they usually have some disparity between the "last photographed" mapping dates.  

For a few extra bucks, you can purchase custom, up to the day satellite views.  Get big printouts sent to your house or just get digital delivery.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I know that an acre is about a football field (already googled it).

What I need is some sort of program where you can enter the number of acres and it shows you some sort of drawing to help visualize it.

For example, I am looking for land on the internet and some parcels are 50 acres, some 150... etc.  

Anyone know of a site that could do something like this?

View Quote

google maps has a app, that you can drag  a perimeter and it will show the acres inside your area you traced out. i did this for some land i was buying, and was nervous because the original surveyor ended up losing his license and was notorious for bad surveys.

i used the app, to trace the boundaries myself, over the google map, and it came out exactly 15 acres..... which is what it was supposed to be... luckily i had easy to identify landmarks, a gravel road,( right side)  a  totally straight 1500+' creek,(left side)  a highway,( south side)  and a 50' section of fence( north side) .. not much to fuck up.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

In the meantime, what about 15 acres?  Is that big enough to have a little shooting range do you think?
View Quote

it depends..

whats the land shaped like?    do you have any areas with houses that would be down range?

15 acres EASILY is large enough for up to a 300 yard range, if its shaped right. my 15 acres is approx 1500' long on one side..... down the side that borders a cornfield, i have built / am building a 200 yard range, with berms at 100, 150, and 200 yards.  the 200 yard berm is in a hillside, with no houses downrange for several miles. i COULD have made it a 300 yard range, but id have to cut down some trees to do it, the 200 yard range is built on a old farm road, and is EXACTLY 200 yards long, and straight as a arrow..

200 yard range... after mowing weeds and removing dead trees.

heres a pic with the berms... 50-100-150, and 200   im about 1/3 done with them.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Google Earth Pro can be your friend.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Contact realtor. Ask for plat map of property. That's basically the only way unless the parcel is pretty small.  Very few areas are broken uo into nice, easy to visualize parcels.

For example, this is the plat of the 49 acre property we bought in upstate PA.  Next you have to visualize it covered with trees and 200 foot elevation changes.

http://www.chernicoff.com/pictures/land1.jpg
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Type in the county you're looking at, followed by GIS.

Most counties that Ive dealt with have a GIS system which shows property boundaries overlaid onto aerial photographs, topo, etc.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top