BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's called inducing oversteer. Problem solved.

ETA: It does tend to make new problems though, too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Someone here once mentioned that you correct understeer in a rwd car by increasing the throttle.  Good luck with your agricultural experiences in 2016.

You do.  Transfers weight form the front wheels to rear.  You never steered with the throttle?

So your plan is to increase front tire traction by unloading them?  Have fun.

I never considered it a problem, I called it "fun"

speed
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They can and do for me.

-At least around here, 91-93 octane is usually ethanol free.  I get better mileage with it and I don't have to worry about ethanol problems with my vehicles.
- My truck has a custom ECM tune that will detect 89 vs 87 fuel via the oxygen sensors and advance the timing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Claiming higher octane fuels enhance stock performance.
They can and do for me.

-At least around here, 91-93 octane is usually ethanol free.  I get better mileage with it and I don't have to worry about ethanol problems with my vehicles.
- My truck has a custom ECM tune that will detect 89 vs 87 fuel via the oxygen sensors and advance the timing.

the new GM 5.3 do make more HP on 91/93 and the flex fuel version make almost as much hp as the 6.2 on E85.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

speed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Someone here once mentioned that you correct understeer in a rwd car by increasing the throttle.  Good luck with your agricultural experiences in 2016.

You do.  Transfers weight form the front wheels to rear.  You never steered with the throttle?

speed

And the chicks dig it, if they dont you kick them to the curb.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

RPM's

It's Revolutions per minute= RPM

Anybody that makes a blanket statement that all American cars are shoddily designed or built.

Douchebags who write out the hash marks ///M when talking about vehicles made by BMW Motorsport GmbH.
View Quote
In some uses, in English, "RPMs" could be a valid term.

5000 RPM is one.  2500 RPM is another.  Lots of them in between.  These RPMs (the two first phrases) define the range.

When discussing a set of fixed values with RPM as the units, "RPMs" can be valid English.

With the apostrophe in there it becomes nonsensical.

Don't get me started on PIN Number though...

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Against my better judgement I went to autozone.
Me: I need a clutch for a 95 wrangler
Counter dude: 4 or 6 cylinder?
Me: 6
Counter dude: standard or auto?
Me:...................turned around and walked out.
True story. I drove 20 minutes away to another parts store. I haven't returned to autozone since then, that was several years ago.
View Quote

He's just asking you what the computer tells him to ask, lol.

Manual transmissions are rare these days.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
maybe they have a saab sonnet?

speed

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When people with an inline-4 say, "It's got a V4..."

maybe they have a saab sonnet?

speed

I have an Open V4 Boxer Engine in my Subaru, which makes it as fast as a Porsche.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Two birds with one stone right here.

The "Cummings" dorks are annoying.

The 'tards that swear their pickup trucks are returning mileage comparable to compact cars are far more infuriating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"My Cummings diesel gets 30 mpg all day"

The 'tards that swear their pickup trucks are returning mileage comparable to compact cars are far more infuriating.

I am actually getting 30mpg (highway) if my full size truck.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are talking under-steer - when the tires are plowing ahe3ad instead of changing the direction  of the car.  I can vouch for a lead pipe certainty that in such a case occurring in a 1986 Pontiac Trans-Am , 305 Tuned Port injection, automatic, that ADDING throttle INCREASES the ability of the front wheels to change the car's direction, as well as inducing  over-steer at the rear of the car - both of which correct an under-steer condition.

You seriously have never seen dirt track racing, drifting, or anyone doing donuts?  You are unaware of throttle-induced over-steer, and use of same to correct an under-steer condition?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
3/4 cam.

WTF is that?

View Quote

not a full race cam profile, but one slightly milder, that behaves slightly better on the street in terms of idle and part-throttle operation.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That puts you in a 4 wheel slide and increases your turning radius.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Derp. It works if you give it enough throttle to lose traction in the rear.

That puts you in a 4 wheel slide and increases your turning radius.

Not if you are already under-steering, which is what the conversation is about.

BTW, I have seen a radically hopped up Pontiac GTO with a big block that would do donuts around its own front bumper if you stomped on it and held the throttle.  Turning radius of  half a car length + 10 inches or so, so you are wrong.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nitrogen tire fill makes a difference.

You don't drive an airplane. Total waste of money.

View Quote

When I drove to the top of pikes peak on my motorcycle I let the heavy sea level air out of my tires and pumped in some of that sweet 14,000' air for less reciprocating mass. Made my bike lighter and handle better.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Co-worker called vertical doors suicide
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#14]
dbl tap
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Two of my favorites:

"I'm gonna fix it up one day...."

And every 302 sitting under an upside down kiddie pool in front of a mobile home is a BOSS 302.  Not just any Boss, but a rare 2 barrel version built for dirt track racing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#16]
"Once you put synthetic oil in a engine you can't go back to conventional "
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It does in my mustang. The car will pull timing and dyno 10-15hp less on 87 octane vs 92...completely stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does in my mustang. The car will pull timing and dyno 10-15hp less on 87 octane vs 92...completely stock.

No, it does not. Your Mustang was designed to run on 92. With a lower octane fuel it makes less power due to knock sensors etc changing the tuning parameters.
If you run higher than 92 octane you will not make more power than what the engine was designed for.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm gonna go with this...
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It works if you have enough power to break rear traction, ideally with a RWD, and it is quite common in racing.  Not applicable to your average econobox, but no one in GD drives those.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#20]
How about the service adviser training the new one that "This car is a manual, sometimes finding the transmission dipstick is a little tricky."
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:43:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I almost added that every 67 Corvette is a factory 427 car. I figured I added enough items for people to work off of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where do I start. Most of these I learned in the muscle car world and idiots on Craigslist.

Every small block Chevy was born in a Corvette.

Every small block Chevy with the casting number 3970010 is a high nickel block because of the "010" in the casting number.

Nothing is better than double hump heads.

Quadrajets are junk. Says everyone who can't tune one or hasn't had one tuned by someone who knows what they are doing.

"I got a 750 double pumper." Carb on a 305 with dual feed inlet, not dual accelerator pumps.

"This car is all original." I'm sure they offered Flowmasters, cd players, and Radial T/As on Cragers in 1969. Not to mention everything being chromed under the hood.

Every 69 Camaro is a Z/28.

"I saw one like this on Barret Jackson sell for $150,000."  Comparing their rusted out Coronet to a finely restored 6 pack Superbee.

I could go on and on and on....

I see you have been to my shop.

I've never seen a 427 for sale that wasn't advertised as a Corvette motor.  Ever.  (not counting TD blocks)

I almost added that every 67 Corvette is a factory 427 car. I figured I added enough items for people to work off of.
A 63 corvette is better than a 64 corvette. To this day I have no idea how that little strip inbetween the rear windows makes it faster because it doesn't.

WE had a race. The red one lost.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the situation and how well the vehicle is set up, doesn't it? If you're hard on the brakes with your front end pushing, then a little weight transfer to the rear might help the tires hook up. If you're hard on the gas on an exit but plowing wide with the front to the point that you have no directional control, then going WFO isn't going to do anything to help the steering unless you can get some more front end authority and/or get power oversteer. At least that's more or less how I seem to remember, so please correct my misconceptions.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#23]
V4 engine.
Unless you have some obscure vehicle, motorcycle, outboard or industrial application you do NOT have a V4 engine.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/obsolete-engines-101-the-mythical-v4/
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:18:07 PM EDT
[#24]
That a big brake kit will make you stop considerably faster/shorter distance even though their current brakes can initiate the ABS. Traction from tires to road is the limiting factor in that case. Big brake kits are to keep brakes cooler during repetitive use not one time stops. Unless you are tracking the car there is no reason to upgrade.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

A cursory glance of the nearest 5 to me:
Race fuel
Race fuel
Drums only
Race fuel
Avgas

All substantially more costly than any 10% mpg gains would merit.

Sticking to purely octane differences though, my point remains that unless you have a custom tune or some rather new OBD system, using higher octane than the owners manual calls for is simply a feel good measure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I haven't seen ethanol free gasoline in years.

As far as octane differences go, I assure you that my OBDI vehicle cannot tell the difference.  Custom tunes are, well custom.

for instance

A cursory glance of the nearest 5 to me:
Race fuel
Race fuel
Drums only
Race fuel
Avgas

All substantially more costly than any 10% mpg gains would merit.

Sticking to purely octane differences though, my point remains that unless you have a custom tune or some rather new OBD system, using higher octane than the owners manual calls for is simply a feel good measure.

Many vehicles will make more power with higher octane, not just ones with a "custom tune" or a "rather new OBD system" (whatever that is). OBD has been around for decades (and OBD II since 1996). My stock Chevy 6.2L will have a very noticeable drop in power if I put 87 in it, because it's retarding the timing in response to the knock from the shitty gas. But if your point is that the fuel itself doesn't make more power, that is correct.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Try explaining how locked diffs in 4WD actually break traction (in turns.  You know, when you actually need it) instead of enhance it.

I find it best to just tell them to get a good tow strap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The obvious one is the common belief that 4X4/AWD has anything significant effect or benefit with stopping on ice.

Try explaining how locked diffs in 4WD actually break traction (in turns.  You know, when you actually need it) instead of enhance it.

The most common locker on the road is a G80. It is not locked unless you give it too much throttle (one wheel needs to spin 120 RPM faster than the other), and taking a corner at normal speeds won't lock it.

Let me guess: you live in the city, and look down with scorn at people who drive a 4x4, because you can't understand why they need one.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That a big brake kit will make you stop considerably faster/shorter distance even though their current brakes can initiate the ABS. Traction from tires to road is the limiting factor in that case. Big brake kits are to keep brakes cooler during repetitive use not one time stops. Unless you are tracking the car there is no reason to upgrade.
View Quote

Actually bigger brakes will make you stop quicker. This is proven in the heavy truck market. Federal regulations have mandated shorter stopping distances for trucks. The simplest way to ackieve this is going to a bigger brake.
Instead of 16.5 x 7 inch brakes on the drive axles, many new trucks are equipped with 16.5 x 8.625 brakes. On steering axles we are seeing 16.5 x 5 or 16.5x 6 brakes instead of 15 x 4 or 16.5 x 4.

Disc brakes are also being used.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Actually bigger brakes will make you stop quicker. This is proven in the heavy truck market. Federal regulations have mandated shorter stopping distances for trucks. The simplest way to ackieve this is going to a bigger brake.
Instead of 16.5 x 7 inch brakes on the drive axles, many new trucks are equipped with 16.5 x 8.625 brakes. On steering axles we are seeing 16.5 x 5 or 16.5x 6 brakes instead of 15 x 4 or 16.5 x 4.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were you able to get immediate lock with the smaller brakes before? If so, then distance shouldn't have changed, you have reached the limit of traction to the road. If that heavy equipment couldn't lock the brakes immediately then you are correct. My point is your brakes aren't what stops your car, the friction from the tires to the road is, the brakes make that happen. If you have gotten all available traction from the tires (hit abs) you have used up all the available friction. Bigger brakes won't increase that amount of available traction, bigger tires will.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I cant count how many pickup drivers do that in general.   My 2000 Silverado 5.3 averages about 13mpg, which is pretty damn close to the EPA estimate.   I have heard people claim that their similarly equipped truck averages over 20.  Bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cant count how many pickup drivers do that in general.   My 2000 Silverado 5.3 averages about 13mpg, which is pretty damn close to the EPA estimate.   I have heard people claim that their similarly equipped truck averages over 20.  Bullshit.

Maybe they only drive on the highway. My 2000 Silverado 5.3 got 19 mpg on the highway, but the new ones do better. If you had a new  Silverado and drove 90% on the highway, 20mpg is very realistic.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:34:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
FWIW, as it pertains to the octane/HP debate, Mazda is purposely giving 2 HP ratings (227 for regular and 250 for premium) on the new 2016 CX-9.
View Quote

My Raptor has 2 different stated HP ratings depending on octane.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:49:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Two of my favorites:

And every 302 sitting under an upside down kiddie pool in front of a mobile home is a BOSS 302.  Not just any Boss, but a rare 2 barrel version built for dirt track racing.
View Quote

16 years or so ago when I first got to where I am now, a couple of friends and I--we all lived in a garage together--went looking for a new project.  In one of those tiny little towns off of 395 in the Eastern Sierras, we found a 1964 Corvete coupe sitting under a tree, on the street, in front of a guy's house.  The car is literally buried in dirt, sand, birdshit, twigs and leaves.  Sweeping some of the debris off of the window shows an interior completely and uniformly covered in a grayish-tan layer of dust.  The tires were rotted completely off, and shredded towards the bottom.  The mag--literally, magnesium--rims were exfoliating on the bottom where they were in actual physical contact with the street (discovered by brushing away shreds of tire and other debris.  The car had to have been sitting there for decades.

We figured this is a perfect candidate for a project, as somebody as given up on this one, right?  So we knock on the door, and the world's oldest man answers.  He had to be in the 90's, and had one of those oxygen things in his nose and was using a walker/oxygen bottle cart combination device.  Upon being asked if he would be interested in selling his car, his answer was "No, boys...I actually plan on fixing her up one of these days."  I remember thinking to myself at the time (and didn't say it out loud, uncharacteristically of me)...You might want to hurry with that.

Weird note: We drove by his back yard on the way out, and he had four or five dragsters stacked like firewood in his back yard.  No engines, just frames/bodies and tires.  Stacked like you'd stack cordwood, in a pile.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:54:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A 63 corvette is better than a 64 corvette. To this day I have no idea how that little strip inbetween the rear windows makes it faster because it doesn't.

http://i.imgur.com/ilbpWU5.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/hciSBTy.jpg?1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where do I start. Most of these I learned in the muscle car world and idiots on Craigslist.

Every small block Chevy with the casting number 3970010 is a high nickel block because of the "010" in the casting number.

Quadrajets are junk. Says everyone who can't tune one or hasn't had one tuned by someone who knows what they are doing.

"I got a 750 double pumper." Carb on a 305 with dual feed inlet, not dual accelerator pumps.

"This car is all original." I'm sure they offered Flowmasters, cd players, and Radial T/As on Cragers in 1969. Not to mention everything being chromed under the hood.

"I saw one like this on Barret Jackson sell for $150,000."  Comparing their rusted out Coronet to a finely restored 6 pack Superbee.

I've never seen a 427 for sale that wasn't advertised as a Corvette motor.  Ever.  (not counting TD blocks)

I think you meant a 67 is better than a 64...
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 4:49:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Depends on the situation and how well the vehicle is set up, doesn't it?.
View Quote

Yeah just modulate with the brakes or undwind the steering wheel slightly until you get the from back. Leave the throttle antics to the Duke Boys who want to take out a family in the oncoming lane.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:26:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Two of my favorites:

View Quote

Oh yeah, and ask them what year it is....

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Two of my favorites:

View Quote

I've been living this lie for twenty years across three cars. I think this may be the year I give it up.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The most common locker on the road is a G80. It is not locked unless you give it too much throttle (one wheel needs to spin 120 RPM faster than the other), and taking a corner at normal speeds won't lock it.

Let me guess: you live in the city, and look down with scorn at people who drive a 4x4, because you can't understand why they need one.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The obvious one is the common belief that 4X4/AWD has anything significant effect or benefit with stopping on ice.

Quite the opposite.  I live in the mountains where my coworkers drive their mud trucks to work, but they cant understand why their Dana 60s keep losing traction.  Fast forward 6 months to the summer and they brag about the tires chirping when they turn on dry pavement.  
Locked 4WD is great for getting out of the ditch, but when you keep it on, it will send you back in just as easily.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No you aren't.

Your math could be bad, or there could be an issue with the way you're collecting data, but you're not getting 30 MPG.

The only full size truck I know of that can even pretend to come close is the Ram 1500 3.0L diesel with 2WD, and even that gets 23 combined
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That blue Vette is a 65 or 66, it's not a 64.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No you aren't.

Your math could be bad, or there could be an issue with the way you're collecting data, but you're not getting 30 MPG.

The only full size truck I know of that can even pretend to come close is the Ram 1500 3.0L diesel with 2WD, and even that gets 23 combined
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No you aren't.

Actually I have. same truck as above but 4wd. computer is pretty close to my math( which is correct). I have done this on quite a few occasions. Check what other have been doing its not uncommon, One magazine did a long term test and were getting 30+ as well
Im not saying combined either, See previous post. I am stating strictly highway. Combined I'm am anywhere from 22-24, which is right in that area
I am not going to argue a fact with some one who is misinformed.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#40]
3/4 cam

blueprinted & balanced
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#41]
I see the octane slap fight is still going on and people are still not understanding just how it works
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Splitting lanes on a motorcycle is dangerous and should not be legal. Followed by, I hate wearing a helmet, I wish I could ride without one.

Yes, I have heard it many times.
View Quote

You do realize that it is illegal in most places outside Cali, right?

And you can ride without a helmet here, if you want to be a brain-dead moron.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They can and do for me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They can and do for me.

Lol, thanks for the thread contribution.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yeah that one is dumb... my 6-spd probably got close to 28MPG highway if I didn't drive like a retard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A 6 speed LS1 F-body is a "gas hog"

Yeah that one is dumb... my 6-spd probably got close to 28MPG highway if I didn't drive like a retard.

28 mpg is a gas hog, i get 51 mpg on the highway with my 87 crx
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
"It's got so much power the traction control does nothing."

That, hellaflush, slammed, and all that other stupid hipster shit.

The term "posi". It's a fucking lsd.

" American cars are faster in a straight line."

"Jap econoboxes aren't worth making fast." Usually from a 05 mustang owner with a solid axle and MacPherson struts.

"Fuel injection is too complicated".

Massive retardation in all the car scenes.
View Quote

it is complicated, i hate trying to find duty cycle faults, so damn time consuming

give me a old carb or even a feedback carb and all is good for me, then again i am crazy
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A 6 speed LS1 F-body is a "gas hog"

HF I assume? I would love one of those as a commuter, I drive about 50 miles a day.

speed
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
V4 engine.
Unless you have some obscure vehicle, motorcycle, outboard or industrial application you do NOT have a V4 engine.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/obsolete-engines-101-the-mythical-v4/
View Quote

they are more common in the eruope though, here in the states, good luck maybe a old Italian car
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Are you implying that nitrogen violates laws of physics when its inside a tire?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is more about having stable and predictable tire pressure over a variety of temperatures.  Apparently pure nitrogen exhibits less pressure change with temperature swings compared to standard air (Ideal gas law be damned. We live in a real world).

Are you implying that nitrogen violates laws of physics when its inside a tire?

You can look up how 'R' the ideal gas constant varies across actual gasses with temperature.
The gas constant 'R'  for nitrogen has less temperature shift.

Aircraft use nitrogen to eliminate a compressed source of ~21% oxygen in the wheel well that could support fire.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It has not been a viable test since Generators went away in the early 1960's

Morons keep doing it.  On an older 10 or 12SI alternator the output voltage can go past 60 volts when you do this.  Lights get very bright - then burn out

Morons still do it, so the manufacturers started putting avalanche diodes in the alternators - that way they shunt the voltage at about 21 volts to keep you from killing the PCM.  Some alternators kill the field when they lose the battery reference voltage to keep from destroying the PCM or other modules.

Don't disconnect the battery on a modern car while running.  It does not tell you anything about the condition of the battery, and may destroy something expensive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Remove the battery cable to test the Alternator"
Years ago, this was a completely viable test.  

What's the problem ?

It has not been a viable test since Generators went away in the early 1960's

Morons keep doing it.  On an older 10 or 12SI alternator the output voltage can go past 60 volts when you do this.  Lights get very bright - then burn out

Morons still do it, so the manufacturers started putting avalanche diodes in the alternators - that way they shunt the voltage at about 21 volts to keep you from killing the PCM.  Some alternators kill the field when they lose the battery reference voltage to keep from destroying the PCM or other modules.

Don't disconnect the battery on a modern car while running.  It does not tell you anything about the condition of the battery, and may destroy something expensive.

Generators are 'constant voltage' devices, alternators are 'constant current.'

Generators and Alternators do not behave the same with no electric load.

Unload a generator the voltage stays about the same.
Unload an alternator the voltage goes through the roof.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top