User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:54:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Born and raised there, left in 2001. Best decision I've ever made.

In regards to the OPs question, back in 2000 my wife and I were debating moving to North Carolina, visited the Raleigh/Durham area and stopped into a gun shop to get a feel for the place.

I asked the man behind the counter how things were in regards to gun laws, gun culture and such.

His response, "Not too bad, except for all the DAMN YANKEES moving down here with their liberal views..." The venom in the term DAMN YANKEES was real.

Pretty sure the War of Northern Aggression had just ended for him.

I responded, "I'm from California, what does that make me?"... "You're from west of the Mississippi, you don't count for nothin..."

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're from California you really ain't nothin!  

You'd be hard pressed to find someone actually FROM Calif.

In the 26yr's that I've been an 01FFL in Calif I've had a total of three (3) peoples who were born here...

In regards to the OPs question, back in 2000 my wife and I were debating moving to North Carolina, visited the Raleigh/Durham area and stopped into a gun shop to get a feel for the place.

I asked the man behind the counter how things were in regards to gun laws, gun culture and such.

His response, "Not too bad, except for all the DAMN YANKEES moving down here with their liberal views..." The venom in the term DAMN YANKEES was real.

I responded, "I'm from California, what does that make me?"... "You're from west of the Mississippi, you don't count for nothin..."

Not according to the hive
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:58:27 AM EDT
[#2]
As you travel westward the issue becomes a bit muddled, except for Austin, California, North Central California (Oregon), and North California (Washington); all yankee.

Otherwise it's pretty much behaviorally based.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:00:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

More than just pockets of resistance.  See all that dark area south of orlando and inland 10 or 20 miles from the coast? That is just as Southern as any place in the panhandle.  Plenty of Confederate Flags, cattle , citrus and sugarcane. The biggest rodeo east of the Mississippi is in Kissimmee, and the southernmost rodeo in the United States mainland is in Homestead. And Miss Rodeo Florida comes from Okeechobee.

<a href="http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/ztug/media/iss041e074232_zpszmlj49qb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh564/ztug/iss041e074232_zpszmlj49qb.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If your state was in the Confederacy, you're a Southerner. The exception is Florida, which is Southern north of Ocala (roughly). Anything south of that is Northern Cuba/South New York. But there are pockets of Southern Resistance in south Florida.

The states of the Northern Aggression are all yankee.
Virginia is being invaded by yankees from Maryland and DC. The struggle continues to this day.

The western states are Cowboys, which ain't a bad thing. The west coast states are Communists.

More than just pockets of resistance.  See all that dark area south of orlando and inland 10 or 20 miles from the coast? That is just as Southern as any place in the panhandle.  Plenty of Confederate Flags, cattle , citrus and sugarcane. The biggest rodeo east of the Mississippi is in Kissimmee, and the southernmost rodeo in the United States mainland is in Homestead. And Miss Rodeo Florida comes from Okeechobee.

<a href="http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/ztug/media/iss041e074232_zpszmlj49qb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh564/ztug/iss041e074232_zpszmlj49qb.jpg</a>

Yes, sorry. You are correct.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:19:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're from California you really ain't nothin!  

You'd be hard pressed to find someone actually FROM Calif.

In the 26yr's that I've been an 01FFL in Calif I've had a total of three (3) peoples who were born here...

I don't know why so many people think that the south ends at the Mississippi. Most of the state of Louisiana is west of the river. It was the 6th state to enter the Confederacy and the following battles were fought in Louisiana;

the Red River Campaign.

Battle of the Head of Passes
Battle of Baton Rouge
Battle of Bayou Bourbeux (aka Grand Coteau)
Battle of Blair's Landing
Battle of Calcasieu Pass
Battle of Donaldsonville I
Battle of Donaldsonville II
Battle of Fort Bisland
Battle of Fort De Russy
Battle of Forts Jackson and St. Philip
Battle of Georgia Landing
Battle of Goodrich's Landing
Battle of Irish Bend
Battle of Kock's Plantation
Battle of LaFourche Crossing
Battle of Mansfield (aka Sabine Cross-Roads)
Battle of Mansura
Battle of Milliken's Bend
Battle of Monett's Ferry
Capture of New Orleans
Battle of Plains Store
Battle of Pleasant Hill
Siege of Port Hudson
Battle of Stirling's Plantation
Battle of Vermillion Bayou
Battle of Yellow Bayou
Battle of Henderson's Hill.
I guess they just don't teach geography and history in school anymore.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:38:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I hate to be the one that states the obvious, buuut... didn't the south lose the war?  Or am I mistaken?

And about AZ, or NM territory at the time.  S. AZ started as confederate but later confederates had to pull back to El Paso.

Darn near the entire span of the war settlers and whatever troops of both sides were busy and had their hands full repelling Apache attacks.  This was hugely due to Union troops having been pulled back to fight the war.

It seems as if calling the territory as confederate at the time was strictly a symbolic claim but had little legitimacy to that fact because the military forts which remained were Union forts.

AZ and territory was a lot of nothing out here until the conclusion of the war.  Then the area exploded with development.  Nearly all towns had an establish date immediately after the civil war ended.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:38:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Everyone north of me I consider a Yankee.
View Quote

Yeah but you're dangling down there in Americas scrotum.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:39:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Historically, the Mason-Dixon line (the boundary between Maryland and Pennsylvania) was only part of the north-south dividing line. Further west, it was the Ohio River (because of the Northwest Ordinance of 1787), the northern and western boundaries of the state of Missouri, and to the west of that, the Missouri Compromise of 1820 line (an extension of the southern boundary of Missouri). The admission of California in 1850 broke the Missouri Compromise.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:45:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not in the confederacy = Yankee.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:45:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What's Arizona?
View Quote

An honorary southern state.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:51:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're just bitter because you live in Maryland.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:51:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Do you live in VA, WV, NC, SC, TN, KY, GA, MS, LA, or AL?

No?

That is because you are a Yankee.

View Quote
You saying Texans are Yankees?

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:52:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dumb thought of the day,

I was just thinking thinking about it and my state was only a territory in 1863. I have always thought that a "Yankee" is someone from north of the Mason-Dixon line and east of the Mississippi river?

If someone were to call me a Yankee I would probably give them a puzzled look and tell them "No I'm from the West"

So I guess my question is, are people from west of the rockies, Yankees, soulless heathens, or just another non-southern non-Yankee American?
View Quote

"Yankee" is a word describing one suffering from a mental illness or defect. If you were called a "yankee", be sure you were doing something really stupid.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:53:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Having been raised in Alabama and now living in Colorado for the better part of seven years, I ask myself that every day.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:56:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Being from Texas I don't think in terms of Yankee or southerner. Basically it's two types of people Texans and then everybody else.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:57:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No?

How about Alaskans?

Hawaiians?  You saying Hawaiians are Yankees?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:09:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm sure it's already been answered after 3 pages but for me at least Yankees are only people from the North East. Basically everybody from Pennsylvanian and Delaware up to Maine are Yankees.

I call everyone else by their region. Southerners, Texans, Mid-Westerners, Westerners, Californians and people from the Pacific Northwest are either smelly hippies or lumberjacks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:11:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Everyone north of 635 is a northerner
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:17:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Not in the confederacy = Yankee.
View Quote

Then you're calling the southern (formerly slave) states of Missouri, Kentucky, Maryland, and Delaware Yankee states. The residents of those states would object. (Well, maybe not Marylanders or people from Delaware, any more.)

Narrowly, a "Yankee" is a New Englander. That's why they called the 26th Division (drawn from the National Guard units of the New England states) the Yankee Division.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:18:42 AM EDT
[#19]
the border is the Dakotas, Nebraska, Missouri, Kentucky and Virginia...everything northeast is yankee territory...and parts of Florida...and for some reason there is an ungodly amount of people from Ohio here in South Carolina....
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:22:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Mexico
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What's Arizona?

Mexico

Dern,  that's probably true.

Aw well.  Better food and siestas FTW.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:39:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I always considered Texans to be southerners. Same with folks in Oklahoma.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No?

I always considered Texans to be southerners. Same with folks in Oklahoma.

East Texas (anywhere East of I-45 / 75) could rightly be considered (culturally) to be more like The South.  Dallas & Houston not withstanding, the rest of the state has more of a Southwest feel than a southern.  Just my opinion.

I was born and raised in Fort Worth, I spend most of my time here, or within 100 miles west of Fort Worth.  Having traveled through parts of the south, West Texas, and then into New Mexico, Arizona, SW Utah and Southern California... I would certainly put everything West of I-35 in Texas squarely in the Southwest.

Oklahoma, to me, has a similar feel.  OKC feels more like a western town, or a midwestern town than a southern town.

But to the point, as far as I am concerned anything north of the Potomac is yankee land. Western PA can be what thy want.  Everything east of 81 in PA is full of "them people".
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:41:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm too far south.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:41:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No?

View Quote

Arizona was a confederate state, but we prefer Zonies.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:01:07 AM EDT
[#24]
History bitches . . . study it . . .

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:45:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm sure it's already been answered after 3 pages but for me at least Yankees are only people from the North East. Basically everybody from Pennsylvanian and Delaware up to Maine are Yankees.

I call everyone else by their region. Southerners, Texans, Mid-Westerners, Westerners, Californians and people from the Pacific Northwest are either smelly hippies or lumberjacks.
View Quote

"lumberjack" we have loggers. Timber used to be king but that way of life is dying lots of food was put on tables by saws and log trucks

We should have beers and bourbon at some point, it would be hilarious (and probably a damn fine time)
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No?

View Quote

Texas was part of the confederacy.  In fact the last battle with casualties, of the civil war occurred in Texas.  

The last confederate general to surrender to the federals was Brigadier General Waite, a Cherokee indian who commanded a Cherokee, Creek, Seminole, and Osage army.

...and thus our path to a big central federal government and ultimately Obama was set.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I would not even think the Mississippi is a clear boundary. Anything west of Ohio is not traditional Yankee territory to me in regards to the traditional slurring of someone by calling them a Yankee even if geographically correct
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I guess I count as Canadian.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll always be a yankee, but I'm ready to move back to the southwest
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#30]
To me, the epithet "Yankee" is more about someone's behavior than about geography.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Anybody North of you is a Yankee.  Anybody that lived in an area that was not part of the South, is also a Yankee.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Uhh.  What about Washington, Oregon, and Idaho?  Don't think the PNW is even remotely Yankee.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Did I miss any regional hatred?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This would include Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Why is everyone fighting over being a Johnny Reb like it's a good thing?  God bless this cold, fertile, Yankee soil under my feet.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top