Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/7/2016 10:14:22 PM EDT
http://www.guns.com/2016/02/05/want-a-pre-owned-army-blackhawk-helicopter-cheap/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=56b7710a04d301476f00682d&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

The GSA is getting rid of a gently used UH-60A Blackhawk helicopter with a starting bid of just $200K, but there are a few catches.

Currently in Hunstville, Alabama, the medium lift utility helicopter, just right for those weekend getaways or carrying your 105mm light howitzer from one side of the valley to the other, is in “as is” condition and, to be honest, has likely seen better days.

The ‘Hawk, S/N: 79-23288, has seen mucho service as detailed in the very interesting 208-page Historical Records which account for everyday of its service since being delivered by Sikorsky to the Army in 1980.

The chopper spent its first 12 years of service with the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) at Fort Campbell, Kentucky which means it likely saw service in the Gulf War. Then in 1994 it was transferred to the Corpus Christi Army Depot (CCAD) which is a large training base for helicopter operations before ending up back in Kentucky with the Army National Guard’s 114th Aviation Regiment then to the Minnesota Guard as part of the 147th Assault Helicopter Battalion where it saw service in Kuwait and Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom and on to the Washington Guard before being pulled from service and sent to Hunstville last December for disposal.

In short, this bad boy has been around and the warranty is simple: there is none.

Still, you could be the only guy on the block with a Blackhawk.  Till the next auction.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#1]
So much want.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Group buy!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#3]
They are kind of useless. Do not want.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish theyd auction off some belt feds
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Miniguns?

Quite a dealbreaker if I'm honest. If I can buy a MIG-21 you know.

Needs moar!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#7]
... yeah but really. My guess is with FAR Part 135 phased maintenance schedule, most if not all FSP  components, are past their TBO
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#8]
In a SHTF situation it could be useful.

Most folks would set up baracades of cars on the roads leading into their subdivisions, and have a harem of the local soccer moms, the men of the area working menial tasks and trusted family using SKS or mosins as security (leader will have a tricked out AR15).

A Blackhawk would allow my group to easily attack another group's blockaded subdivision, take the soccer moms and supplies, and slaughter everyone else.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy it cheap & sub out the O&R work to Sikorsky!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:29:51 PM EDT
[#10]
If someone bought that with the intention of actually flying it, could you imagine what parts, maintenance and fuel would cost?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:30:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Does it run?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/CaravanMan/media/wtf%20gif_zpsl4yyc2ds.gif.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/CaravanMan/wtf%20gif_zpsl4yyc2ds.gif</a>  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/CaravanMan/media/wtf%20gif_zpsl4yyc2ds.gif.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/CaravanMan/wtf%20gif_zpsl4yyc2ds.gif</a>  

For an army helicopter they are great. For civilian uses they suck. What are you going to do with it? It would have to be restricted category so that means necessary crew only and no class B airspace. Maybe you could fight fires with it but the Forest Service doesn't like restricted aircraft. Maybe you could do lift work but they kind of suck at that. If you had the cash you could fly around and look at stuff. I'm not sure what the fuel burn is but I bet it's a lot. My neighbors UH-1H burns 90 gallons an hour just at idle and it only has one engine.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

http://www.guns.com/2016/02/05/want-a-pre-owned-army-blackhawk-helicopter-cheap/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=56b7710a04d301476f00682d&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Want-a-pre-owned-Army-Blackhawk-helicopter-Cheap-e1454702896864.jpg

The GSA is getting rid of a gently used UH-60A Blackhawk helicopter with a starting bid of just $200K, but there are a few catches.

Currently in Hunstville, Alabama, the medium lift utility helicopter, just right for those weekend getaways or carrying your 105mm light howitzer from one side of the valley to the other, is in "as is” condition and, to be honest, has likely seen better days.

The ‘Hawk, S/N: 79-23288, has seen mucho service as detailed in the very interesting 208-page Historical Records which account for everyday of its service since being delivered by Sikorsky to the Army in 1980.

The chopper spent its first 12 years of service with the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) at Fort Campbell, Kentucky which means it likely saw service in the Gulf War. Then in 1994 it was transferred to the Corpus Christi Army Depot (CCAD) which is a large training base for helicopter operations before ending up back in Kentucky with the Army National Guard’s 114th Aviation Regiment then to the Minnesota Guard as part of the 147th Assault Helicopter Battalion where it saw service in Kuwait and Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom and on to the Washington Guard before being pulled from service and sent to Hunstville last December for disposal.

In short, this bad boy has been around and the warranty is simple: there is none.

Still, you could be the only guy on the block with a Blackhawk.  Till the next auction.
View Quote

CCAD isn't a training base, it is depot level maintenance.    So its only got 22 years since major overhaul, GTG, right?  

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ever flown one?  I'd buy it if I could.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:34:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Can it be registered?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
For an army helicopter they are great. For civilian uses they suck. What are you going to do with it? It would have to be restricted category so that means necessary crew only and no class B airspace. Maybe you could fight fires with it but the Forest Service doesn't like restricted aircraft. Maybe you could do lift work but they kind of suck at that. If you had the cash you could fly around and look at stuff. I'm not sure what the fuel burn is but I bet it's a lot. My neighbors UH-1H burns 90 gallons an hour just at idle and it only has one engine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, who pissed in your Cheerios?  DREAM with me, buddy!  Might not be able to get it flying, but shoot, I'd park that sumbitch in the driveway and drink beer in it!  

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Damn, who pissed in your Cheerios?  DREAM with me, buddy!  Might not be able to get it flying, but shoot, I'd park that sumbitch in the driveway and drink beer in it!    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My apologies. I grew up in a very helicopter involved family. Because of that I view helicopters as corporate transportation or as flying tractors. If you can't work it and make some money why own the thing?

If I was going to put an old army helicopter in my driveway it would be a Loach.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Burn rate is around 120-150 and hour at fly.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm out.  I'll stick with my 4 1/4 an hour.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My apologies. I grew up in a very helicopter involved family. Because of that I view helicopters as corporate transportation or as flying tractors. If you can't work it and make some money why own the thing?

If I was going to put an old army helicopter in my driveway it would be a Loach.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/imgs/hughes-oh6-cayuse-loach.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/imgs/hughes-oh6-cayuse-loach.jpg

Now we're talking!  I've never flown helicopters, but have always wanted to.  I probably would've been farther along in my career if it weren't for that fact.  My parents offered to get me my PPL several years before I started my lessons, but at the time I wanted to fly helicopters.  It was too expensive, so I lost out on all those years.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Buying an Army helicopter is like marrying a whore. Rode hard and put away wet.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our bell 206 only burns 240 lbs and hour.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Fly to your local gunshow in that and walk in a god
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:08:47 PM EDT
[#24]
You get enough gas to get to the nearest airport, don't go sight seeing.  

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:10:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Slap some goofy stuff on the sides that make it look faster and more dangerous and make an Airwolf reboot.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:25:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Woudn't it be kickass to lift one up off the ground with an i-beam frame and block and tackle and shoot match stages from the fucker.  

Then lower it down and let the shooter exfil to continue the stage.  

Or fuckin' fast rope him.  (no blackburns)

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:29:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Our bell 206 only burns 240 lbs and hour.
View Quote

*gulp*
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#29]
If you think maintaining your Bro Dozer is expensive........
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#30]
If I ever won the lottery and then went broke, they'd have a picture of that blackhawk on the list of thing I blew way too much money on.  Would be worth it!

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#31]
I could get it worked on cheaply......know lotsa fine folks who worked on her while she was at Frankfort. She wasn't there when I was in, which was the 135th Av Bde at the time.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#32]
These threads make me miss my Hueys!

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Better be able to get new rotor blades!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Forget that lil Hawk, find a B model HH-53.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Better be able to get new rotor blades!
View Quote

Buy 4 airframes keep 1.5 flying. That's how we did it.
Bought different aircraft based on parts. One with low time rotors, one with low time engine, one with low time transmission.

I walked down the flight line of The Guard Unit in Akron and got to pick out 3 aircraft!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#36]
One number away from 87
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Thinking maintenance nightmare
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll volunteer to do the avionics and any other maintenance required on it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:56:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Forget that lil Hawk, find a B model HH-53.
View Quote

Might be cheaper and easier to find a HH-3.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Oil change, tune-up  , kick the tires   .  Place a red cross  on each side ... Air ambulance service ..  12 grand an hour billing to Medicare  Medicaid

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:29:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Call me when we can get Bradley IFV's
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:35:25 AM EDT
[#43]
The Blackhawk isn't fun to ride in with the doors open like a Huey. I loved leaning out of the doors in a Huey.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:08:57 AM EDT
[#44]
PRIOR TO DELIVERY OF THE AIRCRAFT TO THE BUYER THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE AIRCRAFT AT THE DIRECTION OF THE US GOVERNMENT:

CMWS JUNCTION BOX;
SA-26669/ALE-47 (V) CMWS SEQUENCER;
SENSOR ELECTROOPTIC MISSLE CM-SU-202/AAR-57 (V);
DIGITAL COCKPIT DISPLAY UNIT (CMWS);
SAFE/ARM CONTROL PANEL (CMWS);
CMWS RELAY BOX;
MEMORY CARD PMCIA (UDM) MU-1126/AAR-57(V) (CMWS);
RECEIVER/TRANSMITTER, RT-1477/ARC-201;
CONTROL, C-11466A/ARC-201;
KY-58(3EA);
KY-58 CONTROL HEAD (3EA);
KY-100 AIRTERM;
ARC-220/AMP;
ARC-220 RT;
ARC-220 CONTROL HEAD;
AN/AVS-7 B-KIT CONTROL HEAD;
AN/AVS-7 B-KIT SDC HUD;
UHF RDO-XMTR RT-1518C/ARC-164 HAVEQUICK;
NAV DOPPLER/GPS AN/ASN-128B/D;
CARGO HOOK,
CARTRIDGE EXPLOSIVE (SQUIB);
12 POINT ICS MODULE;
AUX FUEL QUAN CONTROL HEAD;
AN/PSN -14(A) DAGR (BFT);
TRANSPONDER AN/APX 118 OR 123;
MCU COOLING GARMENTS AND HOSES;
MICRO COOLING UNIT;
APR 39 UDM CARD;
APR 39 PROCESSOR;
APR 39 JUNCTION BOX;
APR 39 DISPLAY;
APR 39 CONTROL HEAD;
PINTLE MOUNT ASSY-L/H;
PINTLE MOUNT ASSY-R/H;
M240/M60 MACHINE GUN MOUNT RHS;
M240/M60 MACHINE GUN MOUNT LHS;
AUX FUEL QUANTITY CONTROL HEAD;
FLIR MONITORS-AVALAX DISPLAY AND MOUNTING HARDWARE;
IVHMU;
CONTROL DISPLAY UNIT (IVHMS) 10150-0204;
AM-7189 FM AMPLIFIER;
ARC-231 R/T;
ARC 231 AMP;
BFT PALLET WITH DAGR AN/PSN-14(A);
INTERFACE UNIT, DATA (IVHMS) 30201-0501
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:19:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Average price for Jet A in the St. Louis area appears to be about $4.30.

So 240 times $4.30....

Over one thousand bucks an hour.

Ouch!

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:55:40 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Average price for Jet A in the St. Louis area appears to be about $4.30.

So 240 times $4.30....

Over one thousand bucks an hour.

Ouch!

View Quote

that's for fuel.....there's a lot more to add to the hourly cost.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:24:23 AM EDT
[#48]
If I was the lottery winner...
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:28:45 AM EDT
[#49]
I think FF in cruise is more like 850lbs per hour, or 126 gallons per hour all things being equal.  Really not that bad for what you get.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:31:37 AM EDT
[#50]
126 x 4 bucks equals $504 for fuel.  Hey not bad for all the raping and pillaging you could do.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top