Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/7/2016 12:50:49 AM EDT
Does anyone recall to what ever happened to the government cheese program that qualifying people on food assistance received blocks of cheese?

Is government cheese still available?

If I recall correctly this was a decades old program in which the government would purchase massive quantities of daily products in order to shore up low milk prices - in effect a subsidiary to daily producers.  Later on these daily products, primarily cheese were given out as some sort of food assistance to food stamp recipients.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:52:12 AM EDT
[#1]
It wasn't "dignified" enough for the freeloaders - so they just got EBT.

ETA: my grandmother somehow got her hands on some during '05-'07 - by then, it was no longer real cheese, but some Velveeta knockoff.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:53:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Does anyone recall to what ever happened to the government cheese program that qualifying people on food assistance received blocks of cheese?

If I recall correctly this was a decades old program in which the government would purchase massive quantities of daily products in order to shore up low milk prices - in effect a subsidiary to daily producers.  Later on these daily products, primarily cheese were given out as some sort of food assistance to food stamp recipients.
View Quote

My dad has an old wood box packaging for a 2 or 3 pound block of cheese he got from someone in some other junk. I dont recall how old it is, but i previously had no idea thats how it used to be.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:55:04 AM EDT
[#3]
That program is defunct.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:55:19 AM EDT
[#4]
WIC, primarily.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:56:05 AM EDT
[#5]
All I know is that my dad still makes fun of government cheese
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:56:23 AM EDT
[#6]
It made the best grilled cheese sandwiches.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:56:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Why oh yes, memories of the 70's.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:57:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll take a round of swiss, a round of cheddar, and some American.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:59:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Is government cheese still available?

View Quote

I don't know what happened to the big blocks. However, my family did partake in the program when I was in early elementary school.
I recall getting the 'belt' one day for pouring out the oil off the top of the peanut butter that came in a number 10 USDA can instead of stirring it in.
I also remember having thick sliced cheese sammiches from the blocks on white bread for dinner.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:59:55 AM EDT
[#10]
My dad used to bring home a brick when I was a kid. Don't know how he got it, didn't really want to know either. Made good sandwiches and grilled cheese tho.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:00:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Truth right there.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:01:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

and butter too
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:15:27 AM EDT
[#13]
My grandma used to get it.

Stuff was awesome.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:16:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's no shit. When I was little my dad used to buy it off our small town mayor (who he got elected as a long-shot joke) when things were distributed more locally, along with canned pork, powdered milk, etc. It was all good stuff, but that was pretty fucked up in retrospect.

It changed from a nice cheddar type cheese to more velveeta type later on.

ETA Forgot about the peanut butter, choosey moms choose GIBs
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:16:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Stuff was awesome.
View Quote

Mine did too, yes it was.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:17:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'll take a round of swiss, a round of cheddar, and some American.
View Quote

Government cheese was a mixed cheese of constantly varying content - and a mystery label.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:23:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
You got that right, gov cheese was the best cheese. They used to also give out peanut butter, beans, salmon, and powdered milk. I grew up poor and remember mom bringing it home a couple of times. And it was embarrassing , big truck would park somewhere in town and all the poor people would get in line and everyone who drove by could see all the poor folk.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:26:07 AM EDT
[#18]
My mom would buy several blocks at a time from the lady who cleaned our house.  This was late 70's and she paid $3 a block for that shit.

It was good though
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:26:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You got that right, gov cheese was the best cheese. They used to also give out peanut butter, beans, salmon, and powdered milk. I grew up poor and remember mom bringing it home a couple of times. And it was embarrassing , big truck would park somewhere in town and all the poor people would get in line and everyone who drove by could see all the poor folk.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy Shit!  They had salmon?  I heard that the government also had "powdered milk and assorted chicken parts in bags," but salmon?!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:26:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:29:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I knew one family that got government cheese.

But they were Mormon, and had far more of the Bishop's Storehouse brand canned goods. I ate dinner over there several times. Single mom, and about six kids.

Deseret brand cans of beans and veg.

Here's something y'all will enjoy:

President Reagan, Gordon B. Hinckley (I used to deliver his newspaper before he was church president.) and some farmer.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:31:25 AM EDT
[#22]
That was WIC when I was a kid.  The cheese was good, but the giant tin cans of peanut butter were awesome.  Can't buy peanut butter that good.
Now they just give you vouchers to use at the store, I hear.

Food stamps is what became EBT.  

The government cheese is gone
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:49:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Holy Shit!  They had salmon?  I heard that the government also had "powdered milk and assorted chicken parts in bags," but salmon?!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh sure, I remember they were blue. Can of damn salmon, head and all (!)

And no BS on it making the penultimate grilled cheesey. Nowadays they make some Velveeta BS, if anything at all. Shame.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:58:00 AM EDT
[#24]
I remember the butter and cheese my aunt got. That shit was awesome and the portions were huge.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:59:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Nacho cheese, that's nacho cheese.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:13:29 AM EDT
[#26]
too hard to trade for booze, dope, and smokes  so the EBT card was born
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:16:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Stuff was awesome.
View Quote

Indeed

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:21:17 AM EDT
[#28]
From 2008 -

What does Govt. Cheese Taste like?
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=785534
3 pages.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:22:22 AM EDT
[#29]
That stuff was distributed after several of the big hurricanes in the 70's and early 80's.  I remember getting cheese, PB and rice or beans after Frederic in Sept. of 79.  Good stuff when the power is out for two weeks and the fish aren't biting.

G
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:24:10 AM EDT
[#30]
A woman my mom used to work with in the 70's gave her blocks.

It was awesome, 5lb. blocks of 100% Wisconsin American cheese.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:31:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A woman my mom used to work with in the 70's gave her blocks.

It was awesome, 5lb. blocks of 100% Wisconsin American cheese.
View Quote

I remember those.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:32:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Growing up, I can remember eating Govt cheese.  It was creamy and tasty.

The single sliced, plastic wrapped "cheese" we see today is c#@%^* in comparison.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:34:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Soup lines, free loaves of bread

Five pound blocks of cheese, bags of groceries

Social security, has run out, on you and me

We do whatever we can

Gotta duck when the shit hits the fan

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:53:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Many years ago my Wife and I were cleaning out a rental.

We found many tin cans with a white label that simply said "Meat".

As I recall they had "USDA" or something else printed on them.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:57:42 AM EDT
[#35]
We just need those prepaid visa cards that someone else suggested which can be used anywhere for anything.

That'll fix everything.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:58:53 AM EDT
[#36]
We got it when I was a kid in Milwaukee, although my family was never on food stamps. Made great mac and cheese.

Food stamps should be abolished, and if they're replaced with anything, it should be commodities.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:05:48 AM EDT
[#37]
About 20 years ago an Indian lady from a nearby reservation came to our house.  

Sold us some government cheese right out of the trunk of her car.  

Best damn cheese I've ever had in my life.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:07:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Back when I read DU there was a thread about how awesome government cheese was, dozens of people about how it was a constant of their upbringing, etc.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:09:50 AM EDT
[#39]
That was good cheese    I wish they sold it in stores .......
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:18:54 AM EDT
[#40]
I too wish it were still available. I've been told that the closest block cheese as far as taste is Land O Lakes american but I haven't verified it yet.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:32:07 AM EDT
[#41]
The cheese was good  but them dam food stamps we grow up poor and my mom would send me
to the store with food stamps and every time I would get into a fight with some kid who would
start making jokes about people with food stamps, all in all I learned to fight well because of food stamps.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:38:11 AM EDT
[#42]
My mom made awesome homemade mac and cheese with that stuff.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:52:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stuff was awesome.

Chesse and butter were better then you could buy locally in Ms. growing up. My grandma would trade a few packs of smokes to some ghetto gobblin every month for theirs. Made the best homemade mac n cheese with it
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:02:33 AM EDT
[#44]
The warehouse the gov used burned down.

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/20_Years_Ago_Today_Central_Storage__Warehouse_Fire_121153104.html

Twenty years ago, a massive fire became a part of Madison history.

The fire on Madison's East Side was the lead story on NBC15 News May 3rd, 1991.

Flames broke out late afternoon at the Central Storage and Warehouse Company on Cottage Grove Road.

At one point, about 3,000 residents within a half mile radius were evacuated as the fire threatened chemical tanks.

Two days after it started, the fire was declared under control.

It became known as the great butter fire.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:19:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Back when I read DU there was a thread about how awesome government cheese was, dozens of people about how it was a constant of their upbringing, etc.
View Quote

Eh, it was certainly better than what exists now.
People on this forum treat it as a novel temporary embarrassment.
Other places it's a multi-generational lifestyle.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:32:43 AM EDT
[#46]
During the Carter years you didn't need to be on stamps or any other program, at least we didnt, just stood in line behind the truck and got your cheese and dam right it was the best cheese i ever ate.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:26:12 AM EDT
[#47]
MIL owned a liquor store in a small town.  Used to take it in trade all the time.
It was very good.  We would ask her when she was going to get some more.
I don't remember anything except cheese.
Recipients called that stuff, meat, cheese, etc the "modesty".  They were illiterate.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Still in the 90s. My fraternity did civic stuff, and one of the things we did was helping out with distribution for shut ins. We would take prepacks of various stuff to old and handicapped people. The cheese we handed out was big blocks of cheddar. Must have been a lot of constipated old ladies.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:29:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting how healthy the menu you just described is, especially for a soon to be or young mother.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:29:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't stop the food pantry types who line up now when the mobile food pantries that swing through local villages once a week handing out boxes of commercial junk food....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top