Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/5/2016 9:48:19 AM EDT
Ordered back in October. Looks like it should be shipping today, or in the next few days depending on if the blowndeadline got my finish done. Really excited to finally get my hands on one. So has anyone else bought/received one yet? Set some shit on fire and share pics to help a guy waiting on his to show up!

ETA:

It has arrived!

Dont get to test it because they just did a v3 update to the XM42 prior to shipping. The butane that I bought will not work. Have to swing by Walmart and grab a Coleman can. Hopefully I can test tonight/tomorrow.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:52:15 AM EDT
[#1]
tag for ER report
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:55:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Already bought a case of butane to run the torch. I should probably go top off the gas cans this weekend.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I want a flamethrower but I still live in a city.  Hoping to move to the middle of nowhere by next summer.

I can't wait to shoot on my own land.  I'm sick of shooting at indoor ranges.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#7]
tag for pics/videos
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I want one.
View Quote

Order sooner rather than later. The lead time is as bad as NFA toys.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Once they start shipping, I'm just gonna post a WTB ad at various hospital burn wards.

Figure I can pick one up cheap.    
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I wonder what the courts would say if someone actually used one in self-defense.

"Gee, Officer! I saw it all. Some guy came running out of Joe's house on fire. Then I helped Joe put out the fire in his living room. Boy, was his wife PISSED!"
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I wonder what the courts would say if someone actually used one in self-defense.

"Gee, Officer! I saw it all. Some guy came running out of Joe's house on fire. Then I helped Joe put out the fire in his living room. Boy, was his wife PISSED!"
View Quote

My employee handbook says weapons are prohibited in the office. The only exemption is for "chemical dispensing devices, typically used for self defense. Such as pepper spray". I have a feeling I will be personally responsible for an amendment to that policy.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#12]
38 seconds of fire? Not much working time
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I raffed....
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:37:34 AM EDT
[#14]
should be fun. What do you plan on using it for?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:41:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Setting shit on fire, duh.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

haha ohreally?.jpg

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

My employee handbook says weapons are prohibited in the office. The only exemption is for "chemical dispensing devices, typically used for self defense. Such as pepper spray". I have a feeling I will be personally responsible for an amendment to that policy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So I wouldn't be the only one

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Local gunshop has one. They are cool but I want the real deal, backpack gel shooter.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#19]
I am seriously considering the X15 in the spring to clear a brushy hillside.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Not for $1K.

$4-500?  They might have had me bite.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My boss can't wait to see it!
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#22]
You'll set your house on fire kid!

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:32:14 AM EDT
[#23]
No tracking number yet. I guess I was one of the handful still waiting to ship due to the custom finish.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:42:57 AM EDT
[#24]
So the real question is: Pistol range, rifle range, or you gonna go all the way and try trap with it?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:46:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm not really seeing much of a gap in my current Setting Shit On Fire toolkit, but YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:15:23 AM EDT
[#26]
They should do a version that uses a cordless drill to power the fuel pump.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:24:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

So the real question is: Pistol range, rifle range, or you gonna go all the way and try trap with it?
View Quote

Would it be unsportsmanlike to use it to dispatch the egg stealing possum that I have running around?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Would it be unsportsmanlike to use it to dispatch the egg stealing possum that I have running around?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that's how PackingXD's avatar turned into a selfie.....

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:57:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Not for $1K.

View Quote

Yeah, I want the cheapest flame thrower possible, that sounds like something I definitely don't want to spend extra on for safety features and quality construction.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#30]

I feel like I'm can almost well this idea to the wife
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#31]
People are missing the run time part.
38 seconds.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah, I want the cheapest flame thrower possible, that sounds like something I definitely don't want to spend extra on for safety features and quality construction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not for $1K.

lol this... sounds like this guy is better suited with a weed sprayer full of gasoline
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
38 seconds of fire? Not much working time
View Quote

The WWII man packs did not have much 'flame time.'
Too lazy to look it up, but it may have been lees than 38 seconds.
That's why they used short bursts.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah, that's a cool toy. Good "truck gun" too.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#35]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_flamethrower
Okay, I was not lazy, 7 seconds.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#36]
You know, guys, it isn't too terribly difficult to make your own flamethrowers.  Most certainly not very safe but NOTHING IS SAFE WHEN YOU'RE WORKING A FLAMETHROWER.

I had a book from the 90s that had detailed plans on constructing a DIY flamethrower.  I never tried it because I've always lived in cities but there's a guy on YouTube that rolled his own and it was badass (also smoked a cigarette while doing it and damn near caught his dog on fire in another video).

"What's that for?"

"Fun."
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_flamethrower
Okay, I was not lazy, 7 seconds.
View Quote

The big difference for me is the range, up to 40 meters. The XM-42 only reaches out to about 25 feet. I want to burn things from further away. Give me 25 meters and 20 seconds of burn time and I'd be happy.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#38]
One of our HTF get togethers a few years back...

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm not really seeing much of a gap in my current Setting Shit On Fire toolkit, but YMMV.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Well nothing can go wrong with this thread
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:23:06 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Hey, whats that fireball in the tree out back?"

"Oh its just that damn possum. Thought I would teach him a lesson. Now where is my damn fire extinguisher?"
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:34:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:37:28 AM EDT
[#44]
You guys in AZ or TX need to bring them to NH.   This was my driveway one spring:

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:47:47 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I wish someone would make a working m2 flamethrower clone.

All the kickstarter and hobbiest flame throwers are fucking gay. They shoot like 15 foot flames with no real volume. The WW2 flame throwers shot like 100 feet and have thick, billowy, drippy flames.
View Quote

7 seconds of burn time, 20-40 meters. No thanks.

ETA:

68lbs fueled up. Fuck that!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:58:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:04:22 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
At least it will actually set something on fire. The kickstarter ones are underwhelming. A propane torch hooked up a to a gas tank with some air in it. Flames go out almost as soon as the dude lets off the trigger, and there's no volume to it.
View Quote

Consider what is used as fuel. Napalm vs straight gas. Of course there is going to be a huge difference, regardless of the style of flamthrower. Plus military ones used compressed gas, which would be annoying as shit to have to refill every 7 seconds of fun time.

ETA:

40m was max range, much like a 22LR has a max range of a mile. 20m appears to have been considered effective range.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:08:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:11:02 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Still like 65 feet, vs like 20 from these coleman flame throwers. and it will actually set something on fire vs just burning out the second it stops.

View Quote

I guess we will see just how much shit I can start on fire with my little toy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top