Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/2/2016 6:44:43 PM EDT
I just finished reading this book, it's a quick read, 126 pages. I have not really seen this book discussed here.

Sentinel

I would almost call it a guide to common sense but as we all know, that seems to be lacking more and more these days. You will most certainly learn something from the book. You will either find that you are completely oblivious to the world around you and take steps to fix that or that you have been doing most things right all this time.

Luckily for me, I've been doing most things right but reading through this has given me a different perspective on some topics and others I plan to implement.

Some bits of gold:

"OBT (Outcome based Training) is simply this: execution with consideration of the consequence. It's a running theme of "will I fail or will I succeed?" But when we are thinking about the consequence, we are not focusing on performance. Rather, we are focusing on the out come, and that is a performance killer. Performance-Based Training (PBT) requires introspection and objective self-critique. When you think outcome, you can't help but let ego get in the way of performance. You will develop training scars and training scars can get you into trouble. Ego is a training killer." I think this need to be taught in grade school, something I've gone back and forth with and I know I've sabotaged myself with OBT… Only later in life I have focused more on performance than outcome.

"The axiom "Train like you fight' is typical example of this: it's one of the most overused and abused axioms in the tactical arena. I am not sure everyone knows what it means."

"The caliber of the round is not so important as far as terminal ballistics are concerned. A 9mm round can kill as quickly as a .45acp round. That is not an opinion. It is a fact."

May favorite of his gun safety rules:
"Absolutely, positively understand the status of your weapon system at all times!"

This particular tidbit I believe has been why I always shoot left…
"Sink your trigger finger as deep as is comfortably possible. Old-school train-of-thought will say "split the last pad". This is old-school. This is an anachronism. This is a miss on the target."

"Fittness training should be a requirement … You do not have the option to dictate your situation, but you can alter the situations outcome."

"If you are performing fifty kipping pull-ups until the skin rips from your hands, you are an idiot. Remember your goal when exercising: to get healthy. Torn hands are not synonymous with health and fitness"

Over-all it's a great book to have on the shelf. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy.

Guy is hilarious
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I love watching this guy, he gets me fukn pumped just listening!!  Get some!!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Not afraid to say that I have a little bit of a man crush on Pat.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Understandable.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I love watching this guy, he gets me fukn pumped just listening!!  Get some!!!
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I really want to take one of his classes.  He is Mr
Intensity.

And he uses God's gun.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#6]
$3 book on Amazon Kindle, I picked it up.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd buy him a beer.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought it was okay.  It was mostly common sense, and cops will know even more of the things in the book.  That said, it's really good for people who are new to self-defense or defending their families.

I haven't trained with him.  I've heard pretty good things about his courses.  As is common, most of the best reviews come from the least experienced students.  The only complaints I've heard are related to a having a large amount of students, so while he runs a lot of drills, there isn't as much individual instruction as many courses have.  I saw a review that is several years old, from an experienced cop who said he had to help a couple of the newer shooters next to him, because McNamara was busy shooting drills on the line with the students.  I was told by a guy I work with who attended trained with him last year that he now demonstrates a drill, then works more with the students as they shoot it.  Still... I hear he routinely has 25-30 students per class with no assistant instructors.  That can get tough for both instructor and students, especially if one student is a little behind, or worse, a lot behind.

I read he has said he has higher levels of fitness and shooting after his Army service than during it.  I found that interesting.  My shooting is at or near the best it's ever been now.  I'm a little younger than he is, and PT is definitely tougher for me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I read it a while back when he initially had it published.  He has a very simple, no-nonsense approach to just about everything.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I read it a while back when he initially had it published.  He has a very simple, no-nonsense approach to just about everything.
View Quote

Yeah, I searched and you are the only one that has a thread on it with no replies. Thought it odd nobody replied. Figured I'd give it another go.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Every time I watch one his videos I expect him to say "Snap into a Slim Jim!"

I bet he had an interesting career. I'd like to read that book.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#12]
He is a machine.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:53:23 PM EDT
[#13]
It would be really cool if he could write a book about his career.  I'd read it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#14]
He's my favorite instructor. He motivates you in his teaching and keeps you focused.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
He's my favorite instructor. He motivates you in his teaching and keeps you focused.
View Quote

So you're saying you like dudes huh ?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It would be really cool if he could write a book about his career.  I'd read it.
View Quote

Just his 80's spy shit would be super cool to read about. His career path seems much more versatile then the typical SOF turn weapons instructor.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I've read both Sentinel and TAPS, both are loaded with good no-frills information.  Pat doesn't care about theatrics, he just wants the most positive outcome.  I have definitely changed my fitness training after reading Sentinel, less "I want to be smoked!" Crossfit and more getting stronger and more functional with what I can do.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Dude is like a bundle of focused, angry, energy at all times.

Watching one of his videos, you wouldn't be at all surprised if he just ran off camera, and then returned a few seconds later with a terrorist's blood dripping from his hands.

And yet, for all that, he's really funny too. Very interesting guy.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've read both Sentinel and TAPS, both are loaded with good no-frills information.  Pat doesn't care about theatrics, he just wants the most positive outcome.  I have definitely changed my fitness training after reading Sentinel, less "I want to be smoked!" Crossfit and more getting stronger and more functional with what I can do.
View Quote

I got TAPS as well. Next on my reading list along with some Ben Stoeger books.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the post, reminded me to go get the book.

His classes are, shall we say "ROCK AND ROLL!"
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Pat Mac is my spirit animal. I have a BUNCH of friends who've taken his classes, and everyone says he's no differnt in person than in his videos.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#25]

He is always on beast mode.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Great American in every way possible.

He should do some motivational speaking on the side too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Dude is a beast-man.

But that trigger finger clip has me scratching my head.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't know if there is a youtube for this, hopefully the youtube link works.

been doing these for the last few weeks, shits like a circus fire, intense.

If you want to get an idea of just how much of a beast that guy is, look how easy he makes it seem. Clean, and cooridinatied.

Now try it yourself.  Even with a 25# bell, I looked like sloppy ass for awhile.  Even with a 30 now it's an ass kicker.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd hate to see him pissed off.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Gas it up, burn it down.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank god. I was afraid to say it. Me too. No Homo Pat's a hardcore intense dude. Just ordered the book. Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I really like Pat, but I thought the book was shallow and poorly written. It felt like a rush job.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Dude is a beast-man.

View Quote

Old school man. I am gonna try it out next time I hit the range... Tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I really like Pat, but I thought the book was shallow and poorly written. It felt like a rush job.
View Quote
It was written by the Macho Man of SF...   lol.

Having not read it, what did you think was shallow about it? What did you expect to be deeper?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Leave me out of your sick fantasies
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

He said he wrote it in 14 hours. To me it reads like an outline. Every topic could be expanded on in more detail with stories of his past experiences.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Don't know if there is a youtube for this, hopefully the youtube link works.

https://www.facebook.com/combatstrengthtraining/videos/727762320688127/

been doing these for the last few weeks, shits like a circus fire, intense.

If you want to get an idea of just how much of a beast that guy is, look how easy he makes it seem. Clean, and cooridinatied.

Now try it yourself.  Even with a 25# bell, I looked like sloppy ass for awhile.  Even with a 30 now it's an ass kicker.
View Quote

Is there any way  I can see these videos without logging into fuckbook?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Dude is a beast-man.

View Quote
People put so much stock into "everyone knows that..." institutional knowledge that people forget there's more than one way to do things.

What part of your finger ins on the trigger doesn't matter, period.  All that matters is the trigger comes straight back, and the stroke doesn't push the gun left or right.  

I got in a pretty heated argument with a girl I used to date about stuff like that. "riding the reset" while shooting fast is another one.  There's no point in attempting to "ride the reset" but it's so ingrained in peoples mind no one is able to process anything but that.

Same with squeezing the trigger.  It's SO IMPORTANT...  but is it?  If your finger is placed, and muscle memory is good enough that your trigger pull is straight back no matter what, what benefit is there to squeezing the trigger, especially during fast shooting? Fucking slap it like it owes you money, let the fuck go as fast as possible then slap that bitch again...

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I did a quick search on youtube, didn't see it, it was uploaded straight to facebook on Jan 3rd, so if you don't social media like a modern human you might be SOL.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
People put so much stock into "everyone knows that..." institutional knowledge that people forget there's more than one way to do things.    What part of your finger ins on the trigger doesn't matter, period.  All that matters is the trigger comes straight back, and the stroke doesn't push the gun left or right.  

I got in a pretty heated argument with a girl I used to date about stuff like that. "riding the reset" while shooting fast is another one.  There's no point in attempting to "ride the reset" but it's so ingrained in peoples mind no one is able to process anything but that.

Same with squeezing the trigger.  It's SO IMPORTANT...  but is it?  If your finger is placed, and muscle memory is good enough that your trigger pull is straight back no matter what, what benefit is there to squeezing the trigger, especially during fast shooting? Fucking slap it like it owes you money, let the fuck go as fast as possible then slap that bitch again...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude is a beast-man.

People put so much stock into "everyone knows that..." institutional knowledge that people forget there's more than one way to do things.    What part of your finger ins on the trigger doesn't matter, period.  All that matters is the trigger comes straight back, and the stroke doesn't push the gun left or right.  

lol

Muscles don't have memories, BTW.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Having not read it, what did you think was shallow about it? What did you expect to be deeper?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, what was shallow?

The fact that he wants people to workout, thinking boxing is the better fighting art?

What?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude is a beast-man.

I agree.  Some things tend to work better than others.  When you factor in hand size and the thickness of the pistol grip, what works for one person may not work for another.  It is best to try a few variations to see what works best for each individual.  I was surprised to see the advice McNamara had on sinking a lot of finger into the trigger.  I tried it, and it worked pretty well, but I have large hands.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I did a quick search on youtube, didn't see it, it was uploaded straight to facebook on Jan 3rd, so if you don't social media like a modern human you might be SOL.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just succumbed and find I have missed out on all kinds of gun shit.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude is a beast-man.

lol

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Pat McNamara is a god.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL it's easy to let it turn into a time suck.  Be careful.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

Okay, that made me chuckle. Out-fucking-standing.

"Snap into a Slim Jim!" indeed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:  

lol

Fine.  the neurological pathways responsible for repetitive motor control.  Better?

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Fine.  the neurological pathways responsible for repetitive motor control.  Better?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  

lol

Arfcom: Home of Pedantry on the Web.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have too many friends. Just a few and follow a shit load of gun pages/military pages.

Seems ok so far.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top