Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2016 6:50:36 AM EDT
Up until about 5 years ago I used to drink and party quite a bit.  I basically got tired of the toll it was taking on me health wise, and also got tired of the time wasted being hung over and feeling like crap so gave it all up and embraced good nutrition and physical fitness.

One result of that is that I essentially had to stop hanging out with a lot of folks since all their social activities revolved around doing not much more than staying up late, drinking, eating and partying, stuff I'm essentially done with (these days I try to combine socializing with activities such hiking, shooting, etc..something that involves doing things other than sitting on your ass doing nothing).  

You guys that are still in party mode, what do you think of your friends that have stopped hanging out for health/productivity reasons like I've described above?
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll let you know when I find some friends.

Drinking by myself seems to be fun though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:00:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Nobody likes a quitter
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:00:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I hate quitters.

Not really. I am too busy with work to drink like I used to. When I do have time off last thing I want to do is waste half of it sleeping off a night of partying. Also as I get older a night of drinking effects me more than when I was young.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:19:39 AM EDT
[#4]
It happens to pretty much everyone.  I was one of the last ones in my group.  I still like to party, but it is few and far between.  Too much shit to do, and I can't waste a day (or more!) being hung over.  I do miss the good old days, when I could get drunk in the morning, sober up for the evening, and get drunk again partying all night.  Good times.  Now, if I get to bed at 10pm I am a happy mofo.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:23:06 AM EDT
[#5]
It really depends on how 'vegan' you act about it.  I can't stand people that go on about how they quit drinking like it's a superiority thing.

I have a good friend that happens to be younger than me that had to quit drinking.  He finally figured out that alcohol would never agree with him and switched 100% to pot for his recreational drug.  He can actually hold down a job now and start fixing the things he fucked up,  not to mention he's finally paying up some well overdue court fines.  

I'm mostly done with parties.  I just like to do social things with my friends and enjoy a beverage with them.  The party days were way too much drama involved.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:27:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll let you know when I find some friends.

Drinking by myself seems to be fun though.
View Quote

I drank by myself.  

When I found that I had been the thing that was most toxic I had to remove myself from the environment that I was in, so I up and moved to Texas.

I still drink but I don't drink near to the extent that I used to.  A bottle of whiskey/Vodka/Scotch would last me maybe 2 days now I have 4 sitting on my little me desk at home that I only drink occasionally.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:29:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm that guy.

Quit drinking 9 years ago after waking up in jail and being told that I was booked for attempted murder of a police officer. ( It got reduced to drunk and disorderly and simple assault, but imagine hearing that when you first wake up)

Ever since then I am the un-official designated driver for my family and friends.

I hate obnoxious former drinkers as much as the next guy. Same as ex-smokers, vegans, and crossfit douchebags.

O.k., we get it, you quit drinking. Now shut the fuck up and get on with life.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#8]
depends on how they do it.  if they turn into the alcohol equivalent of vegans or crossfitters--always talking about not partying anymore--it gets old quickly.  the ones who still come out from time to time, without doing a ton of drinking, are fine.  ever since i quit the bar business, i seldom go out drinking.  i still make it a point to be social every now and then, but i don't drink as hard, and don't make a big deal about how much less i'm drinking.  my friends--even the hard partying crowd--are cool with it, and we all have a good time.

short version: don't be a drag, and people won't think of you as a drag.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I stopped "drinking" too. I use quotes because it used to be a mindless activity. Now I'll have one or 2 really good glasses of wine. And since I restrict myself to the more expensive stuff naturally the frequency is reduced and appreciation for it increases. If I'm out with people who want to/are drinking I'll have a club soda and I've found the social experience to be better. Plus anything can be overdone and for me I felt it became poison.

Plus, how tf do people live weekend after weekend with hangovers??
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
depends on how they do it.  if they turn into the alcohol equivalent of vegans or crossfitters--always talking about not partying anymore--it gets old quickly.  the ones who still come out from time to time, without doing a ton of drinking, are fine.  ever since i quit the bar business, i seldom go out drinking.  i still make it a point to be social every now and then, but i don't drink as hard, and don't make a big deal about how much less i'm drinking.  my friends--even the hard partying crowd--are cool with it, and we all have a good time.

short version: don't be a drag, and people won't think of you as a drag.
View Quote

i get that...I'm not militant about it...I just politely decline, and often times make it a point to ask these guys every once in awhile if they want to do some activity or something...they typically say no.

Overall though I will admit it feels good waking up early, and clear headed, and at the end of each day I like the feeling of reflecting back on the things that I accomplished that day.  Things that 5 years ago i never would have gotten around to doing because I was too hung over or was "busy" spending the afternoon drinking with buddies
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:10:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Good for you op. Don't worry about what they think and be your own boss. Don't let alcohol rule your life. Friends that aren't your friends after you quit drinking were never your friends anyway. besides you'll find new ones that will be TRUE friends.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Lame-ass bores.

You can party, have a few drinks, and have a great time without getting obliterated to the point of ineffectiveness the next day.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#13]
You must do what it takes to be healthy, fuck the drunks and dope heads.
I went thru the same thing when I was young, stopped going to the parties.
Some of the party crowd thought I was being a dick
Most of the guys  I knew that couldn't stop have been in and out of jail or they are dead now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#14]
In my line of work I applaud them.   And the ones that show up too messed up to work.  I give them sh*t over it.   Plus I try to be nice and try to educate those that partake while being underage.   I have seen too many lives/careers destroyed over excessive parting.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lame-ass bores.

You can party, have a few drinks, and have a great time without getting obliterated to the point of ineffectiveness the next day.
View Quote

Not always.

I like to be in bed by 9pm lately.

My friends that still go out don't even hit the bars until 9 or 10.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Key and Peele nailed it when they came out with this parody of an LMFAO song about partying a few years ago.  A friend I have gets pissed when I make reference to it because it describes his lifestyle perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxWzsrj8bZE
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Up until about 5 years ago I used to drink and party quite a bit.  I basically got tired of the toll it was taking on me health wise, and also got tired of the time wasted being hung over and feeling like crap so gave it all up and embraced good nutrition and physical fitness.

One result of that is that I essentially had to stop hanging out with a lot of folks since all their social activities revolved around doing not much more than staying up late, drinking, eating and partying, stuff I'm essentially done with (these days I try to combine socializing with activities such hiking, shooting, etc..something that involves doing things other than sitting on your ass doing nothing).  

You guys that are still in party mode, what do you think of your friends that have stopped hanging out for health/productivity reasons like I've described above?
View Quote

I'm more in your boat than the still partying scene. Although I didn't 100% go abstinent I have dramatically cut way, way back. For me it coincided with a geographic move as well, so the friends that still partake in that lifestyle don't live near me anymore. The move wasn't to change my lifestyle, but it does help me stay away from partying. I also took a job that places demands on me that make my previous lifestyle impossible to continue while keeping my employment. I haven't really built a new social circle in my new location though, and partying always did assist in making friends for me.
But overall, as I'm getting older and my (former) habits are making a now noticeable impact on my health I'm happy to slow things down quite a bit. Sunday is my only "Happy-Hour" day now

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm that friend, and almost all of them don't want anything to do with a sober me. The feeling is mutual, as forty-somethings who never quite got past high school are pretty pathetic once you see them clearly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not always.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lame-ass bores.

Not always.

ditto...im in bed by 830...sometimes 730.   i read, watch tv, listen to music till i fall asleep, but i also have a 430 am wake up call.

my friends still in the lifestyle don't get started till nine or so even on weeknights.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Glad I don't have to take their fucking keys from them. As long as they don't lecture or proselytize me I DGAF. A good friend was pissed at me for taking his keys one night. I asked him what the Army Reserve would do to a Colonel if he got a DUI? He shut the fuck up. He's off the sauce now, and headed to AFG as we speak. God bless him.

For those on the wagon, I don't give a fuck how long you have been alcohol free.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
forty-somethings who never quite got past high school are pretty pathetic once you see them clearly.
View Quote

Amen Brother!
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Hell, I'll hoist one in there honor!

At least on Saturdays I will. I only have a few on Saturday now - must be getting old.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#23]
I like to drink occasionally but I no longer like going out to do so. My preferred beverage is bourbon and coke but I usually don't get past 3 drinks when I am in the drinking mood which isn't more than once a week.

I can't drink like I did in college. I used to be able to drink a 12 pack, stay up till 2AM and be up for classes at 7am, wash, rinse, repeat.

I still have a friend who drinks like that. Was over at his house for the last 4th of July. Was looking forward to hanging out after the fireworks, he had been drinking all day, not pacing himself, and passed out around 6pm. Literally passed out. Woke up the next day and he began again. No thanks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't hangout out with people who lack self control. So if you have to stop drink to control yourself good for you is what I say.

If you can't go somewhere because their is temptation good for you, I'll still go.

If you try to change me because of your decisions I'll give you a shot but don't push your issues on me.

Everything in moderation even self control.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top