User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Even in climates with moderate heating temperatures?  I'm pretty sure they are the Cat's Pajamas in the northwest.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

At the point they are installed...heat pumps are fucking useless.

Even in climates with moderate heating temperatures?  I'm pretty sure they are the Cat's Pajamas in the northwest.
Yeah, up here where we rarely see under 25 they rock. We see about 2 weeks of the year under 25 degrees and I heat with wood in winter anyway so its purely supplemental at that point anyway.

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Because saying "cheaper to use the heat pump" without taking into consideration many more factors..... is oversimplifaction.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Because saying "cheaper to use the heat pump" without taking into consideration many more factors..... is oversimplifaction.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Low 30's and they're all but useless. Gas heat FTW
Mine is set to swap over at 37. Then gas ftw.

Why not just use gas all the time?

I disable my heat pumps and only use gas furnaces for heat.

Gas is cheaper than the electric bill from running the pumps.

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#3]
At about 25-30 it goes to emergency heat mode.  Upstairs gets cold as there's less insulation up there, but nobody sleeps up there.

I just run a couple of small space heaters downstairs when it drops into the teens and we're all comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The Mitsubishi that I have will supposedly provide heat to -13F.  I can testify that it works great to about 15F which is the coldest temp I have seen here in the Hill country since I installed it.

They are virtually silent and work great in cooling mode also.  Installation is not hard but is less forgiving than R22 since they use R410a.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Unless you set loops in moving ground water, the ground indeed banks heat during the summer to some extent.  

Why is the ground at a constant temperature?  Because of the insulating effect of soil.

Now, when you install a loop system :

Where does the heat go in the summer????

Where does the heat come from in the winter???

If the ground is a constant 65F, how can it be called 'geoTHERMAL' especially considering those used for cooling too?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Evaporator outside will ice up which kills heat transfer from outside air to refrigerant .  so around freezing is the limit on most.  Even though most have a defrost cycle.

Go with ground source heat pumps.  You bank heat in the summer and use it in the winter..my in-laws have free well water so they just dump it in the field.

How in hell do you bank heat?  That's not how geothermal works. 22 year HVAC tech here.
Geothermal is confused with ground source all too often.  Unless you have a volcanic feature, you have to drill 6000 feet to get geothermal.  I don't care if you have 100 years of experience or what a.c. installers call it.  Most are ground source heat pumps.

Banking heat is how ground loop sourced heat pumps work.  Ground with good moisture has considerable specific heat and is well insulated.  So in the summer, heat from the house is pumped into the ground heating it.  In the winter, this heat is then pulled from the "bank" and used to heat the house again using refrigerant heat pump.

Sorry man just a big "no" on this one.  you don't bank heat (lol) at the depths the loops are set you are taking advantage of the median 65 degree temp.  Much easier to heat from 65 to 72 and also much easier to cool from 100 to 65.

The basis of the energy savings is the constant temp of the water in the loops on the return being 65 degrees,

You are smarter than I am (more well read and educated probably smarter maybe not) but you are dead fucking wrong wth your "banking" statement.

TLDR: Heating or cooling from a constant of 65 degrees requires much less energy than from ambient air temps...there is no heat storage involved.  Been drilling wells for over 25 years and also have a lot of loop systems under my belt.

Unless you set loops in moving ground water, the ground indeed banks heat during the summer to some extent.  

Why is the ground at a constant temperature?  Because of the insulating effect of soil.

Now, when you install a loop system :

Where does the heat go in the summer????

Where does the heat come from in the winter???

If the ground is a constant 65F, how can it be called 'geoTHERMAL' especially considering those used for cooling too?

I don't want to beat a dead horse with you, but I will assure you the basis of the design and calculations used for the length and quantity of loops has zero to do with any type of "banking" or heat storage. Nor is there any kind of recovery of heated rejected into the ground to be used for cold conditions.

I'm sure you won't believe me but there are numerous articles available and the NGWA is a good place to start on your research endeavors.

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Keith is talking about how AC just moves heat. In the winter it pulls it from the ground and brings it into the house. In the summer it pulls it out of the house and deposits it into the ground.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Keith is talking about how AC just moves heat. In the winter it pulls it from the ground and brings it into the house. In the summer it pulls it out of the house and deposits it into the ground.
View Quote

Fine, but you are not storing rejected heat into the ground to be recovered later when the temps drop.

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Fine, but you are not storing rejected heat into the ground to be recovered later when the temps drop.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither Keith nor I were under the impression that you could. He is a mechanical engineer by trade and I used to sell building automations.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:12:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Neither Keith nor I were under the impression that you could. He is a mechanical engineer by trade and I used to sell building automations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, Kieth clearly was saying you recover the heat you put in the ground.  I was simply trying to clarify that the real benefit is the reduced delta in temps from heating or cooling based upon an average 65 degree constant.

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I certainly don't see how the minimal heat given off in the summer isn't immediately zapped away when the cold fall soil begins to lose heat from the surface and the heat transfers.

You know heat moves, not the cold, so heat in the soil will be the first to leave.   It doesn't sit in storage space if there is 32 degree soil right above it.
View Quote
Ground loops are installed below the area's isothermal depth.  That is the depth where soil temperature is nearly constant.  This is a situation where the soil insulation above the isothermal line SLOWS heat transfer so seasonal changes aren't seen.  

Soils are typically poor thermal conductors meaning they are insulators.  Meaning a thermal flux WILL change the temperature below the isotherm.  Meaning there WILL be heat added during months where heat from air conditioning is dumped.  It IS significant since both rejected heat AND all the electrical energy moving that heat is dumped to the ground sink.

In the winter, the electrical energy used to move heat from the ground to the house also heats the house.

I realize heat transfer is invisible alchemy to most as it requires some math that is normally reserved for upper division math/science types.  I hope I explained why dumping heat below soil isothermal depth is banking.  Because a few raised hackles..there are a few exceptions like when there is significant water movement below the isotherm.  Or when you are in a volcanic area. Like hot springs.  These are trivially simple cases.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Worthless?

Our house is a constant 68° despite it being in the single digits at night, and in the 20's during the day with 10-30mph winds all day long.  

Our electric bill is less than half of what it was before we had the heat pumps installed (house had electric ceiling heat and no A/C before June '15).
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Worthless?

Our house is a constant 68° despite it being in the single digits at night, and in the 20's during the day with 10-30mph winds all day long.  

Our electric bill is less than half of what it was before we had the heat pumps installed (house had electric ceiling heat and no A/C before June '15).
View Quote
Which means your system uses a different refrigerant than old R22 and has higher working pressures which mean it can absorb heat from lower temperatures.  

The only caveat on such systems is evaporator ice deposition.  This is controlled with microprocessor logic, frost point sensing and reversal valve defrost.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#13]
A "HEAT PUMP" is just a very expensive version of Electric Heat.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

not really.

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
It extracts heat from colder outside, pumping it inside.  Heat is work is energy.  All the electrical energy consumed is converted to heat and combined with heat extracted from outside.

It is an air conditioner turned around.  An a.c. pulls heat from inside, pumping it to outside.  Likewise, the hot discharged air is all the electrical energy plus the heat pulled from inside.

Thermodynamics.  GD has less understanding of it than they know of relationships
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm sure if I kept my house a little warmer the temp would be warmer also.  It dropped down to 1* over night.  The emergency heat actually never kicked on (I want to say the first stage emergency kicks on at a 5* differential).  Such a worthless piece of crap that doesn't work at all when it's below 30*.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Heat pumps - at what point does yours become worthless?

South Florida, any further north and they are worthless.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Heat pumps - at what point does yours become worthless?

South Florida, any further north and they are worthless.
View Quote

Yea.  Okay.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Our heat pump performs poorly at anything below 30*. This time of year my power bill quadruples. Doesn't help my house is 80+ years old and never had insulation. Been slowly going through and replacing the plaster and lath with drywall and adding insulation. Upstairs finished a month or two ago. Maybe this year I'll finally see a drop in my power bill.
View Quote

Can't you just have a contractor cut a round hole in the wall and blow insulation in between the joists?  Seems like it would be cheaper than demo'ing all the plaster walls out to replac with dry wall.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#20]
After being in the trade for 20yrs with a degree in this business.

My personal thoughts are a heat pump with electric back up is great for a one element home...all electric and no gas.  They are fairly efficency however somewhat discomforting when Temps drop in the mid 20s and below.

Geothermal heatpumps are much better as we utilize 55 ground temp vs 20*and lower ambient air temps, but cost is much higher upfront for the ground loop wells

I like heat pumps with a hydronic coil for aux and emergency heat fed via water heater.  Many companies are making on demand tankless water heaters with dual domestic and process heat exchangers.

I am also big on dual fuel gas furnace and heat pump.

I also live in a area where power outages happen.  I do not need a big generator to heat my home with the hybrid dual fuel systems like hydronic aux or gas furnace.

I personally feel anything N of NC  VA line and higher elevations on NC say W of Raleigh should have a hybrid system.

Now add in new home design with spray foam insulation and that changes everything.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Now add in new home design with spray foam insulation and that changes everything.
View Quote

How so?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top